[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: YouTube TV  (Read 15393 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: YouTube TV
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
I switched to YouTube TV (from Playstation Vue) last September. I'm fortunate to have locked in the $35/mo price (now increased to $40 after adding the new channels), but it's working great.  They've recently added Apple TV and Roku apps - but chromecast is a good option too (and cheap) if you don't have the others.  No Fire TV  support (probably because of the Google Amazon spat), but I guess you have to accept that.

So last night, I had 3 games going - one on my Roku TV, one from my phone cast to a monitor with chromecast, and another on my PC.  Quality is good, and they vary bit rate based on your connection speed.  When I'm on the road during MU games, I'll even stream directly on my phone (over LTE) with good results. 

Only downside (for my wife) is no HGTV...

edit: I suppose I should mention the DVR - which works great.

Do they have multiple "tuners" (for lack of a better word)? If I'm watching multiple games at a time, I like to pause one while I watch the other for a bit, then catch up at commercials. Can I do that on YouTube TV?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
Do they have multiple "tuners" (for lack of a better word)? If I'm watching multiple games at a time, I like to pause one while I watch the other for a bit, then catch up at commercials. Can I do that on YouTube TV?
He most likely has multiple sticks. IE 3 Amazon fires, or an amazon fire, a computer, and a laptop. He could also be split screening, not sure if youtube tvallows it. But ps vue offers 3 screens at once.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
I've been using Youtube TV for some time now after trying out most of the major players (sling, vue, and hulu live). I'm very happy with youtube tv the channel selection is great (for me at least). They keep adding channels recently adding the turner networks, cnn, amc, mlb, nba. I have everything I want. All the local stations by me except wgn. Unlimited DVR and the best user interface out of the ones I've tried. Don't miss regular cable at all. And yes you can have three devices simultaneously in use at once on different programming. We use an Nvidia Shield TV as our main setup and have a chromecast on one TV and is also works on Xbox. One of the things I like most is it's a google product and learns your use patterns so often times on the home screen it is recommending programming that I would actually like to watch.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
Just to clarify, I'm not asking about multiple devices. I want to be able to pause live TV and flip back and forth all on one device. Is that possible?

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »
I have had youtubetv for about 6 months and am very happy with it. 
1993 MU Engineering Grad

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
I was leery after a friend that was laid up @ Froedert for 2 months and got it there complained about the experience he had using it.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
Just to clarify, I'm not asking about multiple devices. I want to be able to pause live TV and flip back and forth all on one device. Is that possible?

Just tried it out on the mobile app. It does not work. As soon as you start watching another live program it stops "holding" the live program you had just paused. Hope that answers your question. If you happened to be recording both live programs I think it would handle it differently but I would have to test that out.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
I was leery after a friend that was laid up @ Froedert for 2 months and got it there complained about the experience he had using it.

Really?, the mobile app (I'm assuming he was on the mobile app in the hospital) seems to me to be the most polished. However the TV app looks and works more like a traditional "cable box" experience.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »

This is a good question - I've not tried it.  As mentioned, I usually just have multiple screens going...so if there's 3 games on - I can have one going on the TV, another on my laptop, and a 3rd on my phone.  No need to switch back and forth! 

But I believe if you set all three to "record" (it is an unlimited DVR), and switch between them, then it will ask if you want to resume, or continue live. 

On that note though, I've been a little disappointed that they don't yet have options for picture-in-picture, or split-screening multiple channels.  That would be a nice feature...that I expect will happen eventually.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
This is a good question - I've not tried it.  As mentioned, I usually just have multiple screens going...so if there's 3 games on - I can have one going on the TV, another on my laptop, and a 3rd on my phone.  No need to switch back and forth! 

But I believe if you set all three to "record" (it is an unlimited DVR), and switch between them, then it will ask if you want to resume, or continue live. 

On that note though, I've been a little disappointed that they don't yet have options for picture-in-picture, or split-screening multiple channels.  That would be a nice feature...that I expect will happen eventually.

Great to know. Thanks to you and eron. Now to see if I can get my wife to give up Food Network and HGTV.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »
Old thread, but here we are.

YoutubeTV announces price increase.  Going from $600/year to $780.

With the prospect of no college sports .. and close to no pro sports .. hard to believe a 30% price increase.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »
Old thread, but here we are.

YoutubeTV announces price increase.  Going from $600/year to $780.

With the prospect of no college sports .. and close to no pro sports .. hard to believe a 30% price increase.

Might push me to cancel.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »
Seems to be that they added $15 for Viacom. That would be cool if we could have packages like the old psvue.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »
Added a bunch of channels I do not want.  No sports currently and potentially for the foreseeable future.  $15 per month price increase?  I can go back to Spectrum on an internet bundle and probably beat the price.  Crap.  Really liked YouTube TV as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2020, 03:55:48 PM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:25:52 PM by Spotcheck Billy »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2020, 03:56:25 PM »
This is so obtuse and greedy.

I just dropped Showtime since Billions was finished after 7 episodes and Homeland wrapped up. I was going to do that anyway.

They will lose some subscribers over this.

And here I finally thought I could keep a provider a while without having to constantly re-assess monthly.

It’s still better than the alternatives out there for me right now.

They still don’t even have Pac 12 Network, NFL Network etc...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2020, 04:00:01 PM »
30% increase at this time seems tone deaf. Bad move GOOG.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
Added a bunch of channels I do not want.  No sports currently and potentially for the foreseeable future.  $15 per month price increase?  I can go back to Spectrum on an internet bundle and probably beat the price.  Crap.  Really liked YouTube TV as well.
My thoughts exactly. I was telling friends how great it is during the season. Fs1 fs2 fsN.....easy call to drop for me.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2020, 05:32:36 PM »
Wow. Really liked YTTV, but it isn't worth $65/month.

Looks like I'll head back to Sling and pick one of the packages for $30/month.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2020, 05:48:06 PM »
Wow. Really liked YTTV, but it isn't worth $65/month.

Looks like I'll head back to Sling and pick one of the packages for $30/month.
Unbundling saved me close to $1,000/year, so it is still "worth" it to me from that perspective, but I don't appreciate being asked to pay more for channels I don't want. Hope they get some blowback and reconsider.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
From $35 to $65 a month in less than 3 years.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2020, 06:21:08 PM »
Just talked DirecTV (with att fiber internet) down from 135/month to 50/month.

Winning

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2020, 07:02:32 PM »
Just talked DirecTV (with att fiber internet) down from 135/month to 50/month.

Winning

Approx location? About to enter the renegotiation cycle myself
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2020, 08:18:02 PM »
Approx location? About to enter the renegotiation cycle myself

Indy

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 08:22:14 PM »
Unbundling saved me close to $1,000/year, so it is still "worth" it to me from that perspective, but I don't appreciate being asked to pay more for channels I don't want. Hope they get some blowback and reconsider.

I was okay with going up to 50 because I thought the selection was still great even though I didn't gain any channels. But going to 65 is to much.