Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Need some honest thoughts here  (Read 10007 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
Need some honest thoughts here
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »
I want us to be relevant so badly.  I'm sure everyone on this board agrees.  Somebody give me a reason to be optimistic.  We have three 3 star recruits coming next year and the 58th ranked recruiting class per 247.  Somebody help me see my glass as half full and not empty. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Need some honest thoughts here
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »
So far, Wojo has added Traci, Cheatham, Howard, Hauser, and Henry, all of whom were impactful frosh. Odds are 1-2 of his freshmen will be similar next year, and our biggest problem is the defense that will benefit from adding long, athletic players.

Howard and Hauser are future stars and will continue that ascent. We won't be great, but we have the foundation of a great offense and next year's length will improve the defense. It will also help having passionate senior leaders like Duane and Rowsey.

Recruiting wise, Joey Hauser is on the horizon and can be what Henry should've been with a talented supporting cast.

At least that's what I'm telling myself to get through this stretch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GE911

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
I'll take a stab at it!

1. Wojo has to actually rebuild a program. He unfairly gets compared to buzz, but buzz only had to sustain and then build from a sting foundation. Wojo does not have that luxury.

2. Wojo can recruit. No one questions that.

2a. Wojo first class, wasn't a class just bodies in MU uniforms.

2b. Wojo' second class included McDonalds all American who is now gone pro.

2c. You could look at this year's class as the first recruiting class that stays for mutiple years. (Sans cheatham)

3. Just like the team, I hope Wojo also sees his coaching staff as a work in progress.

4. I said at the beginning of the season we were still a few years from the tournament and everyone was ok with it then. We beat nova and then people thought that we were going to be ranked. We need to temper expectations.

5. It's been awhile since we have had good shooters. We now have then but need other missing pieces. Wojo got the shooters, let's see if he can get the other players needed.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:05:58 PM »
There are still two spots available. Does 247 include the Froling transfer? He was a 4 star. Besides Henry for a year, when is the last time MU had a PF? Mbakwe for a year? MU has two coming in, at the very least they'll help rebounding and playing defense. I also think Hauser will put on 20 pounds. They won't have a problem scoring next year. Guards will be very good with Howard, Rausey, Wilson and Cheatham (haven't given up on his offensive game). Hauser & Froling will spread the floor. They'll also get a solid grad transfer for the wing. Look at the success Lockett, Carlino & Reinhardt have had. I expect another good one. Let's just calm down, the roster isn't great and the Big East is really good this year....9 good teams.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
Let's just calm down, the roster isn't great and the Big East is really good this year....9 good teams.

Is 12-14 St Johns the 9th good team?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
That Jae Crowder fellow was a decent PF. Big East POY and 2nd team All American.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »
So far, Wojo has added Traci, Cheatham, Howard, Hauser, and Henry, all of whom were impactful frosh.

Impact freshmen who leave or regress before or during their sophomore seasons don't move a program forward. So far Wojo is 3 for 3 on that account.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »
I want us to be relevant so badly.  I'm sure everyone on this board agrees.  Somebody give me a reason to be optimistic.  We have three 3 star recruits coming next year and the 58th ranked recruiting class per 247.  Somebody help me see my glass as half full and not empty.

3 Stars - but they all have something that is missing completely from the current team - Length/quickness combined.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
Is 12-14 St Johns the 9th good team?

Yes. Playing very well lately.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »
Remember that stars are NOT that big of a deal. Davante was a 2. Wade was a 3.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »
Impact freshmen who leave or regress before or during their sophomore seasons don't move a program forward. So far Wojo is 3 for 3 on that account.

Yep. Player development (lack of it) might be my biggest concern about Wojo.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 10:30:02 PM »

That's just silly. Would you turn away a one and done? Were you unhappy we landed Henry at the time? Unless you have unedited proof showing that, it's a moot point. Cheatham has improved, just not as much as some hoped. Has he also slumped? Yes. But overall he's been better. Better passer, better defender, better rebounder. Shooting down, but on a team with so many options that's less a necessity. Traci was also better across the board, but left because of the personal issues and Markus Howard roadblock.

Should Wojo stop recruiting the best players he can get? Should he stop working on skills outside shooting? Should he stop recruiting better players that put pressure to perform on the guys already here? Unless you answer yes to all those questions, your entire post is completely unfounded, inane, and flat out wrong.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 10:39:13 PM »
As much as I went gaga over Ellenson, I knew it wasn't going to do MU well if he bolted after his freshman year and there wasn't any immediate capitalization on it. Granted, Wojo is capitalizing on it a bit now with kids still in HS but Henry's not playing doesn't help maximize the effect on recruits. (Thank god, Jimmy, Jae, Wade and Wesley are.)

It's going to take a strong group of players who will carry this club forward. Two more years and this will be a great club.
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
That's just silly. Would you turn away a one and done? Were you unhappy we landed Henry at the time? Unless you have unedited proof showing that, it's a moot point. Cheatham has improved, just not as much as some hoped. Has he also slumped? Yes. But overall he's been better. Better passer, better defender, better rebounder. Shooting down, but on a team with so many options that's less a necessity. Traci was also better across the board, but left because of the personal issues and Markus Howard roadblock.

Should Wojo stop recruiting the best players he can get? Should he stop working on skills outside shooting? Should he stop recruiting better players that put pressure to perform on the guys already here? Unless you answer yes to all those questions, your entire post is completely unfounded, inane, and flat out wrong.

Whoa, big guy. You defend Wojo by saying he brought in three guys last year who were "impact freshmen". Great. Having 3 "impact freshmen" would normally mean better days ahead for a program. But not if a year later two of them are gone and the other is no longer an "impact player". And if you think Haanif Cheatham is a Big East "impact player" this year, you're nuts. He's a mess and anyone watching him knows it. Want silly, unfounded, inane, and flat out wrong? That would be anyone who cites the wonderfully positive effect Wojo's recruits of two years ago are having on our program this year - and probably in future years. Take a bow.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:22:26 PM by Lennys Tap »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 11:10:13 PM »
My biggest reason for optimism is roster balance. Last year we seriously lacked shooting. This year we seriously lacked size. Next year we theoretically should have both.

Our offense this year is elite. Best in modern MU history. Defense is abysmal worst in modern MU history. JJJ and Reinhardt leave and they are actually two of our least efficient offensive players. Luke is one of the best. So overall offense likely takes a step back but I think it still stays top 25. Biggest question mark is defense. Size should help improve the defense but can it improve without harming the offense too much?

I think a defensive stopper grad transfer could do wonders for next year's team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 11:54:31 PM »
So far, Wojo has added Traci, Cheatham, Howard, Hauser, and Henry, all of whom were impactful frosh. Odds are 1-2 of his freshmen will be similar next year, and our biggest problem is the defense that will benefit from adding long, athletic players.

Howard and Hauser are future stars and will continue that ascent. We won't be great, but we have the foundation of a great offense and next year's length will improve the defense. It will also help having passionate senior leaders like Duane and Rowsey.

Recruiting wise, Joey Hauser is on the horizon and can be what Henry should've been with a talented supporting cast.

At least that's what I'm telling myself to get through this stretch.
cant forget Froling

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 12:27:19 AM »
I'll take a stab at it!

1. Wojo has to actually rebuild a program. He unfairly gets compared to buzz, but buzz only had to sustain and then build from a sting foundation. Wojo does not have that luxury.

2. Wojo can recruit. No one questions that.

2a. Wojo first class, wasn't a class just bodies in MU uniforms.

2b. Wojo' second class included McDonalds all American who is now gone pro.

2c. You could look at this year's class as the first recruiting class that stays for mutiple years. (Sans cheatham)

3. Just like the team, I hope Wojo also sees his coaching staff as a work in progress.

4. I said at the beginning of the season we were still a few years from the tournament and everyone was ok with it then. We beat nova and then people thought that we were going to be ranked. We need to temper expectations.

5. It's been awhile since we have had good shooters. We now have then but need other missing pieces. Wojo got the shooters, let's see if he can get the other players needed.

You forgot that he has coached the two softest most heartless teams in the last 40 years at MU
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 12:36:09 AM »
I am losing faith slowly in the basketball program I love.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 05:22:21 AM »
Whoa, big guy. You defend Wojo by saying he brought in three guys last year who were "impact freshmen". Great. Having 3 "impact freshmen" would normally mean better days ahead for a program. But not if a year later two of them are gone and the other is no longer an "impact player". And if you think Haanif Cheatham is a Big East "impact player" this year, you're nuts. He's a mess and anyone watching him knows it. Want silly, unfounded, inane, and flat out wrong? That would be anyone who cites the wonderfully positive effect Wojo's recruits of two years ago are having on our program this year - and probably in future years. Take a bow.

And the award for dodging the questions completely goes to Lennys.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 06:51:18 AM »

Here's the difference: Lenny doesn't pretend to be some sort of an "expert" on basketball.

But in this case he is spot on calling out the silliness of your assertion.

Well done, Mr. Bernstein.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »
I am losing faith slowly in the basketball program I love.

Can you lose faith a lot faster then?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
For guys with post names hinting at what milwaukee is about, brew and a tavern, you too should be more simpatico.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 07:03:52 AM »
Play 5 competitive games to end the conference season, play in NIT/NCAA tourney and we all feel a little better.

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
One positive: little to no chance of Wojo leaving for another job given last year's extension

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
I have a somewhat different take.

Our team is like a hot shot baseball pitcher just called up from the minors. He has the tools and his first couple of starts, he throws shut-outs and two- hitters (the baseball equivalent of the Villanova and Creighton games).

Inevitably, someone figures out the book on the pitcher. He goes through the league and managers write the book on him. His fastball still blazes at 100 miles per hour, but hitters learn to wait on the change-up or the curve ball and blast him into the second deck. The pitcher gets frustrated and his control falters until he too learns the book in major league hitters. Maybe he picks up a slider or even a knuckleball, but he learns to pitch in the majors and becomes a star.

First time through the league for us, we were writing the book on ourselves. We were beating people from outside. We shot well and we won. After the Villanova game, coaches adapted their defenses to stop where we were going to beat them. And it has worked. And it will until our guys adjust and learn to play with what we're given. In our case, they'll give Fishy his 12 points because they know aint going to beat 'em. Reinhardt, Rousey and Howard will!

We'll learn. With what's coming in, we'll be fine -- I hope!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:47:54 AM by dgies9156 »

feedback