Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Need some honest thoughts here  (Read 10005 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Need some honest thoughts here
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
Holy crap, that was 4ever?!?!?!?   Recognizable as English, punctuation, capitalization, coherent.   Feeling a little unsettled.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Yeah dudes, i'm pissed. Winter sucks donkey balls 'round here wen Warrior hoops blow, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
Keefe

I wish everyone on here knew MU ball history and had expectations for the future as Lenny does. He's in my Scoop HOF.

Joe

There are a handful of us who have been involved in the program actively since the Glory Years. You and Lenny are in that group and have a keen appreciation for what basketball means for the university.

We have expectations and they are far from being met. And as we both know, there is increasing frustration within the core cadre of backers who make Marquette hoops run. This season has been a major disappointment. The off season will come early once again and it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
Goose -

Everybody has high hopes.

But not high expectations.

Big difference.

Anyone harboring hopes for this team is absurdly delusional. Until very recently we expected to run roughshod over the St John's and Providence's of the world. Now, every game is a crapshoot.

When you go into combat you look to destroy the enemy with extreme prejudice. Anything less than that is unacceptable. The current coach has not instilled that killer instinct in his team.

Death on call

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 08:39:29 PM »
Joe

There are a handful of us who have been involved in the program actively since the Glory Years. You and Lenny are in that group and have a keen appreciation for what basketball means for the university.

We have expectations and they are far from being met. And as we both know, there is increasing frustration within the core cadre of backers who make Marquette hoops run. This season has been a major disappointment. The off season will come early once again and it will be interesting to see what transpires.

You know less than what you want other people to believe you know if you think anything might "transpire" this offseason or if you think people who make those decisions are unhappy with the direction of the program.

For people who are so well traveled and claim to be super tough bad boys there sure is a lot of whining coming from some posters about a child's game played by 17-22 year old kids.

Many people whining about a lack of toughness on the team. Oh the irony.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »
You know less than what you want other people to believe you know if you think anything might "transpire" this offseason or if you think people who make those decisions are unhappy with the direction of the program.

For people who are so well traveled and claim to be super tough bad boys there sure is a lot of whining coming from some posters about a child's game played by 17-22 year old kids.

Whining?

Hardly. This team is not competitive. And the program is mired in mediocrity.

And there are people very unhappy with this season.

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
Talent level on this year's team is pathetically mediocre. They are very slow-a-foot and have similar strengths and weaknesses, which includes a below average basketball IQ for players on this level. There is no on-the-floor leader. Instead we have a team that plays not to lose, rather than fighting to win. For those thinking the season will somehow be salvaged in the remaining games, think with your head and not your heart. Your eyes are not deceiving you.
Could you please translate that . Thanks.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
Posters keep saying the comparison to Buzz is unfair, because he did not have to rebuild. He did inherit a great team. However, the next year he had to replace four starters which included three of our top 10 all-time scorers. That was one quick rebuild.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2017, 10:08:49 PM »
This off season Wojo better talk to Coach K and get some advice

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
I'll grant you that a "one and done" is a different animal. He doesn't help a rebuild much but as a coach you can't really say no. The other two guys you consider "impact" players, though...I don't think impact players leave the Big East for LaSalle - they go the other direction. And the idea that Haanif Cheatham is an impact player in the Big East is laughable.

The kid's from Philly. Villanova wasn't an option. Not sure what "other way" was there. Penn State? Maryland? Do they even have scholarships open? If he truly wanted to be home, the A-10 was pretty much the highest league there.

Haanif has had a step down. But he was a starter and I don't think anyone had any question he was an impactful frosh. I'm not calling him a star, I'm saying he had a significant positive impact on this team last year. He's regressed in many ways, mostly shooting the basketball, but in other ways he's improved. He's definitely far from a perfect player, but also far from a finished product.

But again, I specifically said "impactful frosh". Both Traci and Haanif were starters on a competitive Big East team as freshmen. Not as good a team as we'd hope, but one that was clearly better than year one. I chose those words carefully, and picked them specifically because Wojo's track record with freshmen can be used to give hope (the point of this thread) to the poster that Cain, Eke, or John might be more college-ready than we expect and provide meaningful, valuable minutes in their first year.

It had nothing to do whatsoever with what either Traci or Haanif did this year. Nothing. Re-read my post if it's that confusing. I picked my words with care and was as straight-forward as I could be. Your entire diatribe about what happened the next year completely missed the point of the paragraph.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
Whining?

Others may have a different definition but whining to me means complaining about a problem without offering a solution. You have identified the problem. Its a problem we all have. What is your solution?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 11:32:51 PM »
Take away their practice unis for starters.
Until they play like Warriors.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 07:12:42 AM »
Your entire diatribe about what happened the next year completely missed the point of the paragraph.

My "entire diatribe?" Seriously? Yours is the diatribe, replete with personal attacks (silly, inane, unfounded, etc.) and misstatements of facts. You claim to "choose your words carefully". Maybe - but incorrectly.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »

+1

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
Whining?

Yep. And so far the cavalry is not coming next year with several unproven players coming in. Wait till next year is becoming the mantra for MU fans.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
79Warriors

Spot on. I am surprised with the number of folks expecting next year to be much improved. I think replacing the three departing guys will be very difficult. All three are legit D1 players and are in any rotation in the country. They may lack leadership skills but they are basketball players.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
Hey ya'll. Buzz had to rebuild a program as well and in year 3 looks poised to get an NCAA tournament bid. Marquette and wojo? Not so much. The guy just can't get it done.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
Next season we might take a minor step back but the year after i think we will be majorly improved. Just have to be patient

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
Next season we might take a minor step back but the year after i think we will be majorly improved. Just have to be patient

That would be absurd and prove the incompetence of our athletic department. A head coach at Marquette should not get until year FIVE to make the post season. ridiculous any way you spin it...

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
That would be absurd and prove the incompetence of our athletic department. A head coach at Marquette should not get until year FIVE to make the post season. ridiculous any way you spin it...
I think we will make the postseason this year

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
I think we will make the postseason this year

My only thinking is that we did not make the NIT last season with 20 wins... we're looking like we're not even there this year

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
My only thinking is that we did not make the NIT last season with 20 wins... we're looking like we're not even there this year
look at the new bracket joe came out with, look at bracketmatrix

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »

We are in a much better position RPI wise than we were last year.  According to RPI Wizard, if we finish 3-2 (winning home games) and even with a loss in the first round of the BET, we are sitting at 75.  Last year we were at 110.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »

We are in a much better position RPI wise than we were last year.  According to RPI Wizard, if we finish 3-2 (winning home games) and even with a loss in the first round of the BET, we are sitting at 75.  Last year we were at 110.
I feel like RPI is overrated

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
I feel like RPI is overrated

I agree with you, but the NCAA and NIT selection committees use it as a tool.

feedback