[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch  (Read 268097 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch
« Reply #425 on: February 21, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
So funny how analysts/writers put on RPI goggles and slant their narratives toward that. Eamon refuses to give MU credit for anything. He starts with our loss to Butler a few weeks ago. Good grief.

I thought it was pretty fair.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
So funny how analysts/writers put on RPI goggles and slant their narratives toward that. Eamon refuses to give MU credit for anything. He starts with our loss to Butler a few weeks ago. Good grief.

RPI may be flawed, but so is our basketball team.  I think his summary is a pretty fair assessment given our propensity for let downs. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #427 on: February 21, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
Updated Bubble Watch from ESPN Eammon Brennan:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

It's weird he constantly talks about our defense and how volatile we are but not at all about our prospects. I think our resume is better than most are giving it credit for. We have to take care of business, but I think we have a manageable path to the tournament.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #428 on: February 21, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
It's weird he constantly talks about our defense and how volatile we are but not at all about our prospects. I think our resume is better than most are giving it credit for. We have to take care of business, but I think we have a manageable path to the tournament.

No doubt it's a manageable path to the Tournament.  The problem is, after we beat Villanova, we had a very manageable path to a 9-4 BE record.  Instead, we were at 6-7.  As the author says, "one of the nation's most volatile, unpredictable teams."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #429 on: February 21, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »

They definitely do put on RPI goggles, but their narrative for MU was pretty accurate.  The glaring absurdity comes in the RPI/ACC bias.

They list 14 schools from the ACC in the bubble watch.  Several of those wouldn't make it to the actual bubble if they won the rest of their conference games.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #430 on: February 21, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
Here's something that would be funny..all we've been doing is talking about being on the bubble, how many more MU needs to lock up a bid, which bracketologists have MU in or out right now. So wouldn't all this talk be funny if the only people that matter(the committee), have MU in safely already(barring a meteoric collapse) and all this talk and worrying is for nothing?? Obviously none of us know what the committee thinks of MU right now, but it's POSSIBLE they could be so impressed with a road win at Creighton and a home win vs Nova, that they have MU already in the field(fairly comfortably right now).  :)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #431 on: February 21, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
They definitely do put on RPI goggles, but their narrative for MU was pretty accurate.  The glaring absurdity comes in the RPI/ACC bias.

They list 14 schools from the ACC in the bubble watch.  Several of those wouldn't make it to the actual bubble if they won the rest of their conference games.

Ehh. Not so sure about that (its 13, BTW). Pitt is a bit of stretch, but the rest of them are legit bubble teams.  The ACC will probably get 11 or 12 in this year.  MU fans should be rooting strongly against Wake, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Syracuse. 

I do agree that they definitely overweight RPI in the bubble watch analysis. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #432 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
Sports Illustrated says MU is a "should be in" on account of the Villanova and @Creighton games, and barring a disaster like losing tonight.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/21/ncaa-tournament-bubble-teams-watch-acc-big-ten-pac-12-sec

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #433 on: February 21, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
Tonight's bubble games listed below.  To stick with the "Bubble Watch" theme, I will use teams that ESPN list as "work left to do":

Rhode Island @ Lasalle

Clemson @ Va Tech

NC State @ Georgia Tech

Evansville @ Wichita State

Indiana @ Iowa

Fringe Bubble Games (long shots at best for an at large):

Purdue @ Penn State

Auburn @ LSU

Ole Miss @ Mississippi State

Akron @ Bowling Green

Monmouth @ Fairfield

MU82

• All American
« Reply #434 on: February 21, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »
I vow to not be pissed off if we get "screwed" by the committee. All we had to do was win a couple out of Pitt, Butler, Butler, SH and Providence, and we'd be safely in or darn close to it.

I hate it when some coach cries on Selection Sunday about how unfair it was that his 18-13 team didn't get in.

Win a few more effen games! You screwed yourself, bozo!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #435 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
I vow to not be pissed off if we get "screwed" by the committee. All we had to do was win a couple out of Pitt, Butler, Butler, SH and Providence, and we'd be safely in or darn close to it.

I hate it when some coach cries on Selection Sunday about how unfair it was that his 18-13 team didn't get in.

...until you see the last 4-8 teams that made it..

Thankfully, I think MU is in pretty good shape if it wins 2 out of the next 4.  No other bubble teams have the wins we have. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #436 on: February 21, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »
...until you see the last 4-8 teams that made it..

Thankfully, I think MU is in pretty good shape if it wins 2 out of the next 4.  No other bubble teams have the wins we have.

Nope. Because our lads will have had ample opportunity to not put themselves in such a precarious position. I admit it won't be easy to avoid blaming others, but I vow not to do so.

The good news is that I won't have to follow through on this because we're getting in!

(Unless those a$$wipes on the committee screw us!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #437 on: February 21, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
Nope. Because our lads will have had ample opportunity to not put themselves in such a precarious position. I admit it won't be easy to avoid blaming others, but I vow not to do so.

The good news is that I won't have to follow through on this because we're getting in!

(Unless those a$$wipes on the committee screw us!)

Well if Middle Tennessee and Illinois State take 2 of the final 4 spots, and we're inexplicably left out after a 9-9 finish, I will be sure to ask your thoughts!  ;D

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #438 on: February 21, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
All 28 brackets on bracket matrix that were updated today have us in the field. Anywhere from a 9 to a 12 seed.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #439 on: February 21, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
All 28 brackets on bracket matrix that were updated today have us in the field. Anywhere from a 9 to a 12 seed.

Now if we could just end the season immediately we would be in pretty good shape!

Oh well......

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #440 on: February 21, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »
CBS not included in that? Odd.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #441 on: February 21, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

You argue for your position at the time. That's all you have. Conceptually, I don't really understand your frustration with coaches in those situations.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #442 on: February 21, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
CBS not included in that? Odd.

CBS last updated on Sunday, but I can't imagine he'd have us in regardless

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #443 on: February 21, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
Out of curiosity, I replaced our two worst cupcakes (Howard and SIUE) with two cupcakes from the ~150 RPI range who do schedule buy games regularly (Albany and Grand Canyon). Our RPI jumps 21 spots to 51. With our top 50 wins, we are worrying about seeding at this point instead of us making the tourney.

This is why I hate RPI. Who cares that we creamed Howard and SIUE by 30+ instead of creaming Albany and Grand Canyon by 20+?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #444 on: February 21, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »
So we think 9-9 gets in?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #445 on: February 21, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, I replaced our two worst cupcakes (Howard and SIUE) with two cupcakes from the ~150 RPI range who do schedule buy games regularly (Albany and Grand Canyon). Our RPI jumps 21 spots to 51. With our top 50 wins, we are worrying about seeding at this point instead of us making the tourney.

This is why I hate RPI. Who cares that we creamed Howard and SIUE by 30+ instead of creaming Albany and Grand Canyon by 20+?

One note, Howard was not a buy game. It was part of the 2K classic and MU had no control. Pretty unfortunate in the first place, but doubly so when their best player missed almost the whole season.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #446 on: February 21, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
So we think 9-9 gets in?

I do. And here's why...
Going 2-2 puts at 5th or 6th. That's assuming providence, seton hall or St. John's go 3-1. The chances more than one go 3-1 or 4-0 are unlikely.

The committee is not leaving the 5th BE team out. Not with this bubble when going 3-16 in ACC is being considered.

So let's assume we end up 6th. Who are they going to take? Providence seton hall or St. John's at 5th or MU at 6th with wins over Nova and creighton and Xavier (yes not as marquee right now)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #447 on: February 21, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »
One note, Howard was not a buy game. It was part of the 2K classic and MU had no control. Pretty unfortunate in the first place, but doubly so when their best player missed almost the whole season.

Yep. My main point wasn't that we need to schedule better buy games, just that RPI is stupid.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #448 on: February 21, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »

+1. This team had no shortage of "should win" situations. Butler, Pitt and SH are 3 obvious examples. Winning any one of those is a quality win (Pitt is borderline), and we'd be in a pretty decent spot.  We also had a shot at Butler the second go around and Providence. Then we peed down our leg against GT and STJ.

I think "pretty volatile" is the best description for this team. We don't need to win out. But we probably can't afford more than 2 losses (@X and @Creighton) and can't afford to go one and done in the BET.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »

The exact point I made a few pages ago. Take it a step further and replace another 1 or 2, and it continues to skyrocket. Broeker really needs to do a better job at this - I know it's an inexact science and you're bound to get a couple stickers, but we've had far too many for a bunch of years straight. Other major conference teams seem to do it every year...

feedback