[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch  (Read 267953 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch
« Reply #1675 on: March 12, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »
Well on ESPN right now Lunardi says Providence is in Dayton, and MU is still avoiding Dayton.  So, methinks Mr. Sand-Knit is just making crap up again.

Saw that Michigan State dropped also to the byes in front of us.

Knew X, Prov or MU had to go to play in. We'll see.......

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: March 12, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
So the rumored opponent is St Mary's.

Anyone know anything about them?

Lol what do you mean the rumored opponent

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #1677 on: March 12, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
Well on ESPN right now Lunardi says Providence is in Dayton, and MU is still avoiding Dayton.  So, methinks Mr. Sand-Knit is just making crap up again.

Yeah, kind of like a weather Vane.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #1678 on: March 12, 2017, 03:23:19 PM »
Lol what do you mean the rumored opponent

Homer tweeted about MU playing St Mary's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: March 12, 2017, 03:25:34 PM »
Homer tweeted about MU playing St Mary's.

He's just reading what Lunardi posted.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: March 12, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
I don't think we'll be in Dayton. I've said as much elsewhere.

On what, single v double digit seed? Position on S-Curve? Dayton v bye?

One thing to remember, there's a chance Creighton, Marquette, Seton Hall, Xavier, and Providence are all on the 7-10 lines. That could force seed movement to avoid conference matchups.

I know everyone loves Lunardi because he's on the mothership, but he's never been great at seeding, just great at the field. I wouldn't look to him (or Palm) when it comes to seeds.

As mentioned previously... if you take teams' RPI off their resumes, MU's resume stacks up quite well against other 7&8 seeds.

If this is the year the SC finally gets past RPI, MU is an easy 8 and very much in the running for a 7.  No miss whatsoever.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: March 12, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »
Don't start scouting opponents until we get one unless you really have so much time on your hands you don't know what else to do. We'll have a real opponent to scout soon enough ... unless Mrs. Sand-Knitwit is right and we miss the tourney, miss the NIT and have next season canceled due to Wojo being the worst coach in basketball history.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #1682 on: March 12, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
Kind of strange that Providence went from being ahead of us to behind us on Lunardi's bracket...

This is why I never care for the up-to-the-minute analysis for Bracket Matrix or individual bracketologists.. Providence and Marquette haven't played in days, but they flip flopped spots overnight - where Providence is now in Dayton.

Not sure what would really cause that. Whether he's getting word from the committee, or a change of opinion..

As most have mentioned, seeding Providence/Marquette/Xavier will prove to be very difficult. Would not be surprised if we were in Dayton. Also wouldn't be shocked if we were in the 8-9 game..

If I had to predict.. i'll say the seeding will go like this for the Big East..

1 - Nova
4 - Butler
6 - Creighton
7 - Seton Hall
10 - Providence
11 - Marquette
11 - Xavier (Dayton)

Honestly have no idea on the last 3. But I do think Seton will be higher than the other 3, even though they are all currently projected in the 10-11 range.

Anything outside of Dayton and I'll be pumped. And hopefully they somehow get a game in Tulsa on Friday, so I can try and make that 3-4 hour drive from Dallas to see the game..

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1683 on: March 12, 2017, 03:39:03 PM »
Kind of strange that Providence went from being ahead of us to behind us on Lunardi's bracket...

This is why I never care for the up-to-the-minute analysis for Bracket Matrix or individual bracketologists.. Providence and Marquette haven't played in days, but they flip flopped spots overnight - where Providence is now in Dayton.

Not sure what would really cause that. Whether he's getting word from the committee, or a change of opinion..

As most have mentioned, seeding Providence/Marquette/Xavier will prove to be very difficult. Would not be surprised if we were in Dayton. Also wouldn't be shocked if we were in the 8-9 game..

If I had to predict.. i'll say the seeding will go like this for the Big East..

1 - Nova
4 - Butler
6 - Creighton
7 - Seton Hall
10 - Providence
11 - Marquette
11 - Xavier (Dayton)

Honestly have no idea on the last 3. But I do think Seton will be higher than the other 3, even though they are all currently projected in the 10-11 range.

Anything outside of Dayton and I'll be pumped. And hopefully they somehow get a game in Tulsa on Friday, so I can try and make that 3-4 hour drive from Dallas to see the game..

Lunardi also has us ahead of X but has X as a 10 seed and us as an 11. So who knows.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: March 12, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »
The only BE "lock" I think has to be behind us is X. We beat the crap out of them twice, beat the likely overall No. 1 seed (which beat the crap out of them twice) and have a better record in the same conference. I'd understand PU and obviously SH being ahead of us. X would be a real head-scratcher to me.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: March 12, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
The only BE "lock" I think has to be behind us is X. We beat the crap out of them twice, beat the likely overall No. 1 seed (which beat the crap out of them twice) and have a better record in the same conference. I'd understand PU and obviously SH being ahead of us. X would be a real head-scratcher to me.

If RPI is a big factor, then X has us by a bunch.  Currently X is 36 and MU is 60. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1686 on: March 12, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »
Also...part of my expectation of an 8/9 is pessimism, because what I really want is to play in Indy, but for that we'd almost certainly have to be on the 7/10 line.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »
I'm going 7. Every year when I have thought 9/10, it's been higher. And there's no money on the line.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:46 PM »
We'll see whether the committee disregards conference tournaments like some here say or if they overvalue them like others here say.  My stance has always been they value them for what they are, 1-4 games in a 30-35 game season.  Of course most teams are going to stay roughly right around where they were projected to be going into the conference tournament, because there aren't a ton of "needle moving" wins or losses in these tournaments.  Most teams will do roughly what is expected of them.

BUT.  When you are a team like Michigan that is projected around an 8 seed going into the conference tournament and then you beat Purdue, Minnesota, and Wisconsin in a 3 day span, or you're a team like Duke that's projected as a 4 seed going into your conference tournament and beat Clemson, Louisville, North Carolina, and Notre Dame in a 4 day span you're going to be moving up multiple lines.  Heck, even Iowa State who was projected around a 7 seed will move up, and their only "needle moving" win was against West Virginia given that Baylor and Kansas were upset before either got to Iowa State.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #1689 on: March 12, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
We'll see whether the committee disregards conference tournaments like some here say or if they overvalue them like others here say.  My stance has always been they value them for what they are, 1-4 games in a 30-35 game season. 

I've had that same stance, throughout. Always though a Big East tournament game would mean just as much as a win over X or Creighton down the stretch..

The tough thing is - no one really knows what the committee thought of teams on the bubble prior to the conference tournament.

Some think Vanderbilt is a good example.. Most had them out going into the SEC tournament. Beat A&M, Florida, then got stomped by Arkansas. If they jump all the way to a 9 or 10 (like Lunardi is showing), it would be hard to ignore that they at least value Tournament games the same as Regular season games...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: March 12, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
I'm thinking/hoping, if seeding comes down to a "tie" between PC, Xavier, SH, MU, that MU's win over Nova will trump everything else. That could end up being a HUGE feather in MU's cap.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: March 12, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
If RPI is a big factor, then X has us by a bunch.  Currently X is 36 and MU is 60.

Fair enough. I guess we'll see shortly how they value RPI compared to all the stuff I mentioned.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: March 12, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »
Guys, guys, guys, Lunardi is good...but let's remember that he's not actually on the selection committee.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #1693 on: March 12, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »
Guys, guys, guys, Lunardi is good...but let's remember that he's not actually on the selection committee.

True, but he's certainly somewhat connected.

That last minute move of Providence from ahead of MU & Xavier, to behind both and in the play-in game was a little telling to me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1694 on: March 12, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »

As someone who checked bracketmatrix pretty frequently, I can tell you that Providence was never ahead of Marquette. X hasn't been ahead of Marquette since the regulars season ended. The only flip flopping that occurred Seton Hall passing Marquette after they won in the BET.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1695 on: March 12, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
True, but he's certainly somewhat connected.

That last minute move of Providence from ahead of MU & Xavier, to behind both and in the play-in game was a little telling to me.

Yah definitely interesting. He must've been tipped off.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback