[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 242187 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #550 on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »
Does Dennis Smith Jr. remind anyone else of a young D-Wade attacking the rim with a lethal combination of power & creativity?

I think Wade was more crafty but Smith is more explosive athletically.  I have thought Smith might be the best player in this draft.

I say this as someone who thought the Cutler deal was a bad one for the Bears from day one, but you do realize that not every INT is the QB's fault, right?

Sure.  The WRs gave up, Jay didn't have the offensive weapons, then he didn't have the defense to hold up, he never had the same coach year after year, etc. etc. etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #551 on: July 17, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »
Sure.  The WRs gave up, Jay didn't have the offensive weapons, then he didn't have the defense to hold up, he never had the same coach year after year, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #552 on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »
I think Wade was more crafty but Smith is more explosive athletically.  I have thought Smith might be the best player in this draft.

Has elements of Wade, Westbrook, Rose, and Lillard in his game. I'm really high on the guy without knowing anything about him prior to a week ago. Agree that he could end up the best player from a stacked draft. I don't think history will look back fondly on the Bulls picking Markkanen while Smith was still on the board.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:05:45 PM by Ellenson Family Reunion »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #553 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »
At this point, Cutler should get his own Scoop board forum.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #554 on: July 17, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Has elements of Wade, Westbrook, Rose, and Lillard in his game. I'm really high on the guy without knowing anything about him prior to a week ago. Agree that he could end up the best player from a stacked draft. I don't think history will look back fondly on the Bulls picking Markkanen while Smith was still on the board.

It will be interesting to see how efficient he is and how good defensively he is. He has the athleticism to be a good perimeter defender.

I like Markkanen, but they already have Mirotic and I'm not sure how different their games are.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #555 on: July 17, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »

Things that happen when you make such evaluations after summer league:

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #556 on: July 17, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »

Someone should let ESPN know about this since they're constantly leading with Lonzo Ball's performances in what amount to a D League exhibition games.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #557 on: July 17, 2017, 01:55:05 PM »

Haha fair point, but Kris Dunn was old as hell as a rookie, his bust probability was pretty high. And it's not just about numbers in those games, the things Smith has been doing have been pretty eye popping in terms of how they translate to the NBA game

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #558 on: July 17, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
It will be interesting to see how efficient he is and how good defensively he is. He has the athleticism to be a good perimeter defender.

I like Markkanen, but they already have Mirotic and I'm not sure how different their games are.

Agreed. I'm guessing he'll have a high turnover rate this year which will dampen his overall efficiency, but will iron that out by year 3. Being fairly small could hurt his defensive ceiling, but being a cornerback recruited by high major schools makes me think he has the instincts to perform at a high level at then end of the court.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #559 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Haha fair point, but Kris Dunn was old as hell as a rookie, his bust probability was pretty high. And it's not just about numbers in those games, the things Smith has been doing have been pretty eye popping in terms of how they translate to the NBA game

No, I agree Smith has looked impressive.
But summer league and THE league are very different animals, not just in the level of talent but in how the games are played.
Summer league: NBA = AAU; NCAA Division I

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #560 on: July 17, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »

I think we both talked about how much we loved smith before the draft. But to say that he is more explosive than Wade is quite a reach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #561 on: July 17, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »

As a 21-year-old, Wade was pretty doggone explosive.

I saw Smith quite a few times in college - amazing talent. There were some "coachability" issues, and it will be interesting to see how that goes in the pros.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #562 on: July 19, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
OK, which of you is responsible for this? I'm guessing MUDish.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #563 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31:40 PM »

Dish and I went halves.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #564 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:41 AM »
Someone should let ESPN know about this since they're constantly leading with Lonzo Ball's performances in what amount to a D League exhibition games.

Well, yeah, but ESPN merely gives the viewers what they want. Lonzo is exciting. Now, there is some chicken-and-egg stuff going on, in that ESPN stokes up the Lonzo love with its coverage, but in general TV networks respond to consumers.

I'm not a big fan of "hype," but I will admit a fascination with Lonzo and all of his trappings (including his trip of a dad).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #565 on: July 20, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »

Mortgaged my house to do it, but worth it!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #566 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »
I think we both talked about how much we loved smith before the draft. But to say that he is more explosive than Wade is quite a reach.

As a 21-year-old, Wade was pretty doggone explosive.

I saw Smith quite a few times in college - amazing talent. There were some "coachability" issues, and it will be interesting to see how that goes in the pros.

No doubt Wade was a great athlete, but Smith has absurd athleticism.  In my opinion, Smith is already a more explosive athlete than Wade was, but Wade was infinitely more crafty.  I don't expect Smith's career to be anywhere near what Wade's was, but there are very few people in the NBA that are as explosive as Smith is.

I'm not sure how accurate the sites I'm finding are, but according to DraftExpress Wade's max vertical was measured at 35 inches with a standing vertical of 31 inches.  I can't find a standing vertical listed for Smith, but a Lakers 247 article says Smith tied an NBA record with a 48 inch vertical at a predraft workout for the Lakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW1CVy7Un1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h6DqMGsZ_k

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20116485&sf99589420=1

Wade had some great dunks, but I don't know if he ever had between the legs or windmill type of hangtime like Smith does.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #567 on: July 20, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »

Wade had some great dunks, but I don't know if he ever had between the legs or windmill type of hangtime like Smith does.

I rest my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlymqXcruCU

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #568 on: July 20, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »
Suspectly sourced articles are tying Rose back to Chicago. Even if it's for dirt cheap, please make this happen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #569 on: July 21, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
I rest my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlymqXcruCU

Fair enough.  Both are obviously world class athletes.  But the difference between a 35 inch vertical and a 48 inch vertical is pretty dang significant.

GGGG

• All American

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #571 on: July 21, 2017, 11:13:23 AM »
Fair enough.  Both are obviously world class athletes.  But the difference between a 35 inch vertical and a 48 inch vertical is pretty dang significant.

I feel like vertical and explosiveness are related but separate. First step blow by type of athleticism is what I consider explosiveness. On that end, prime Wade has no betters, only equals (Westbrook, Rose, etc.). On pure vertical, many have him there, including obviously DSJ. The thing that's scary about DSJ is he has similar explosiveness to Wade, plus the vertical. And I saw some crafty moves by him in the paint that were astonishingly similar to a young Wade. The tool set is there, I hope he can put it together, would be fun to see.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #572 on: July 21, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #573 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »

Wake me when Smith does this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OkP5_1qb7Y

Or this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbQ2FMtaFI

Sultan, your alarm clock is going off.

https://youtu.be/b6zmRpZcLg8

https://youtu.be/bTszAloPsYg

Keep in mind, Wade has an extra 5 inches on his standing reach over Smith, and this was when Smith was 17/18 years old.

Both are incredible athletes. I personally find Smith to be the more explosive athlete and think we'll see that in the form of highlight reel plays throughout his career. I find Wade to be the much better basketball player.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #574 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »

I think we agree they are both elite, world-class + athletes.

About the 48"? I don't know if I believe that. The two greatest jumpers I have ever seen were David Thompson and Darrell Griffith. They weren't called Skyealker and Dr. Dunkenstein for nothing. They both had 48" verticals and their leaping abilities just jumped off the screen when you saw them because it was so obvious. I never saw that type of explosion from either Wade or Smith.

feedback