[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hey Students  (Read 14258 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Hey Students
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
I really don't get the appeal of live sporting events.  My home is more comfortable, with a better view of the action, cheaper beer, and if the game sucks I can turn on another one.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
Winning and winning big would have me at BC and at big road games. Crappy schedule and 7th place finish in BE will get me to 3-4 home games and Badger game in Madison every two years. I love watching at home but exciting style of winning basketball is fun to watch in person.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »
I don't know if this impacts attendance, but I grew up going to sporting events quite often.  Really grew fond of the experience and have nostalgic memories of it being quality time with my Dad & family members - starting at a very young age.  I still think of them when i opt into a stadium experience today.

I imagine it is harder to do that these days with the price of tickets, parking, food, etc, etc. 

So not sure if there are numbers/studies done on attendance, but I do question if the kids coming of age today even had the same number of in-stadium experiences I did.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
Back in the day , going to games was all about the game. All of the fancy in game stuff was not a factor. The focus was on the coaches and players of both teams, with some halftime entertainment from the band.  A winning team made every game interesting and an event in and of itself. Also the majority of games were not televised, so the flow was a lot better, none of the tv timeout stuff etc. Also the old crap arenas were good in that you could get up and close to the players . 

One good thing the Big East has done is the double round robin . If you go back to MU history as an independent, we had a number of same season home and home games scheduled with other independents. It really built those rivalries even though we mostly kicked their butts. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
For those that don't remember how things used to be Joe Fulce reminds you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBKFinnuRs

Or the old Marquette Basketball Revealed series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUkRlPkWquA
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »
Back in the day , going to games was all about the game. All of the fancy in game stuff was not a factor. The focus was on the coaches and players of both teams, with some halftime entertainment from the band.  A winning team made every game interesting and an event in and of itself. Also the majority of games were not televised, so the flow was a lot better, none of the tv timeout stuff etc. Also the old crap arenas were good in that you could get up and close to the players . 
Was this how you accumulated your extensive D1 experience?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
I really don't get the appeal of live sporting events.  My home is more comfortable, with a better view of the action, cheaper beer, and if the game sucks I can turn on another one.

Interesting.  We see it exactly opposite.  Gives us a chance to see long time friends and make new ones.  Because of scoop AND the actual game experiences, chick and I now count Eng and Brew, among others, as real friends.  #lifesgood

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
Interesting.  We see it exactly opposite.  Gives us a chance to see long time friends and make new ones.  Because of scoop AND the actual game experiences, chick and I now count Eng and Brew, among others, as real friends.  #lifesgood

No one is going to be surprised at this, but this introvert isn't sure he can handle too many more friends in his life.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2016, 12:58:07 PM »

No one is going to be surprised at this, but this introvert isn't sure he can handle too many more friends in his life.

Ha!  We'll be your friend Sultan, assuming the first beer is on you!  ;D

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »
When you eliminate FFP and try to be the Harvard of the Midwest, a good student section is the first thing to go.

Good point. I'm a proud FFP alum from 06 and I never missed a game while on campus.

Thanks a lot Pilarz
Bring back FFP!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »

I'll have you know that the very first girl in line for this game was chick jr.  You can see her several times in this video. 

She stayed outside overnight in front of the BC, using a box of Cap'n Crunch as a pillow.

Let no one ever question the commitment of the chick/glow family.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:47:57 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »
jsglow

I agree on the social part of the games as well. Halftime and seeing old friends makes the evening very enjoyable for us. For 45 years halftime has always been a treat for me at MU games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
I'll have you know that the very first girl in line for this game was chick jr.  You can see her several times in this video. 

She stayed outside overnight in front of the BC, using a box of Cap'n Crunch.

Let no one ever question the commitment of the chick/glow family.

Same I'm at 6:00 and 9:24 (you can even hear me say thanks buzz) what a night that was.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »
We used to grab a big handful of cookies in the Courtside Club.  We sit on the team bench side so the way to our seats was courtside baseline past the band and the eagle's nest student section.  Chick and I often fed kids who hadn't eaten in awile.  All good.  Sure hope we fill the building blue/gold this Saturday.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2016, 02:11:43 PM »

That lady trying to get Rob Frozena's ticket had me dying.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »
And Gail Pudvan, am I right?

Lisa Dooley didn't take a back seat ta no one, ether, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
I've had season tickets with the same 3 guys basically since graduating ('02). Originally, we had 8 but now we've dropped to just us 4. We used to pregame then often go out afterwards...in addition to getting together another night or two a week. Since we're now in our mid-30s with families and more demanding careers, it's become more and more difficult to get together - weekends book up, kids have events, work to do, etc. Now, the 4 of us know that about 15 times every winter, we're going to be able to hang out. Obviously, we're no longer closing Wolski's on a Tuesday but it's still nice to grab a beer, chat and watch some basketball. On top of that, my kids are at ages where they're into all things sports. They love going to games with me and it's a whole new kind of fun watching a game through the eyes of 5-7yo's...even if the on-court product isn't as good as it was a few years ago. 

Watching at home just doesn't have the same effect for me as watching a sporting event in-person, especially a big game. That said, if given the choice to watch a road game from the comfort of my own home or in a bar with a bunch of other MU fans? Give me my couch every time.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
That lady trying to get Rob Frozena's ticket had me dying.

These videos were great, thanks for sharing. Man, the Buzz years were so fun. We had some badass mofos on our team back in the day.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
Lisa Dooley = A+++++++++

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »

Every current student should watch these before the game on Saturday! Hard not to get pumped up watching.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2016, 03:16:22 PM »

Lisa Dooley didn't take a back seat ta no one, ether, hey?
Her services are available today. List your house with her.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
Just wanna park my Suburban in her garage, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »
4ever

I needed a good laugh and you provided it. Don't forget about Joanie!!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2016, 07:46:50 PM »
Joanie Bohmann, knew her well, but not well enough unfortunately, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2016, 08:27:58 PM »
I've had season tickets with the same 3 guys basically since graduating ('02). Originally, we had 8 but now we've dropped to just us 4. We used to pregame then often go out afterwards...in addition to getting together another night or two a week. Since we're now in our mid-30s with families and more demanding careers, it's become more and more difficult to get together - weekends book up, kids have events, work to do, etc. Now, the 4 of us know that about 15 times every winter, we're going to be able to hang out. Obviously, we're no longer closing Wolski's on a Tuesday but it's still nice to grab a beer, chat and watch some basketball. On top of that, my kids are at ages where they're into all things sports. They love going to games with me and it's a whole new kind of fun watching a game through the eyes of 5-7yo's...even if the on-court product isn't as good as it was a few years ago. 

Watching at home just doesn't have the same effect for me as watching a sporting event in-person, especially a big game. That said, if given the choice to watch a road game from the comfort of my own home or in a bar with a bunch of other MU fans? Give me my couch every time.

Wonderful way to look at it.  Even if 15 ends up being 8, it's still 8 times you get to see your buddies, all around an event you can all relate to and enjoy.

feedback