[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hey Students  (Read 14256 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Hey Students
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
Lens

This FFP never missed a game for any reason. Probably why 8.5 years to graduate.

Wow, I thought no one beat my dad's record. 7 years for him.  Of course working a full time manual labor job and getting classes when he could afford it while helping to support a new family had a little something to do with it.  So did the 'Lanche. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
During the Al years in the early 1970's. they split the student season-ticket plans into Plan A and Plan B because the demand was so great. Didn't matter who we played, Arena was packed. To see what has happened is very sad.

And the old timers will tell you about camping out.  Dr. Scott put and end to that when things got just a touch out of hand in the tent city.  I missed it by a year or two.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »
In the old days, tuition was $5K a year and it wasn't a big deal if you flunked a couple of classes due to your drinking and had to take an extra semester.

In my day, the old old old days, tuition, books, room and board we under 5K.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »
And the old timers will tell you about camping out.  Dr. Scott put and end to that when things got just a touch out of hand in the tent city.  I missed it by a year or two.

This old timer never camped out. We had reserve seats.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
During the Al years in the early 1970's. they split the student season-ticket plans into Plan A and Plan B because the demand was so great. Didn't matter who we played, Arena was packed. To see what has happened is very sad.
During the Al years, there was no internet and only three television channels none of which televised the vast majority of the games.

Additional fun fact: During the Al years, there were about 8,000 items in an average grocery store, today there are 45,000+ (seemingly most of them craft beers)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:11:20 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »
jsglow

Only four years of full time (think reached 2nd semester Soph status) and then night and summer school the rest of time. Worked (more golfing and travel, than work) full time and squeezed in my classes. last person to graduate with Interpersonal Communications Major in MU history. Big thanks to Dean Price for pulling some strings along the way!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
I am a huge MU bball fan but I never saw the appeal of sitting outside the Bradley Center in the cold for hours before a game to be able to run into the stadium just to sit in the lower bowl of a big game during my time in 2004-2008.

To each their own, but I thought the upper deck was always much more fun. It was extra rowdy...packed with all the drunks who stayed at their keggers until 30 min before game time. Give me those guys everyday of the week. I sat in the lower bowl a handful of times and it was just a bunch of sober kids, like going to a game back in high school.

I'm sure that the upper deck experience is completely different now, but that's even more reason to not wait around outside if you can just show up and get into the lower bowl.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:34:23 PM by Coleman »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »
Upper Bowl didn't exist last night. anyways I'm truly hoping this badger game will get a lot of students into basketball more so that more of us will show up more often to games. we should at minium be filling the lower bowl at games. its just sad. I'm gonna tear up. there were 500 students there lastr night.  :'(. and I don't think people are watching it on tv instead of taking 10 min to get to the bradely center. there just not even following it. no one is into sports as much for some reason. sorry for the spelling

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
I have not read the whole thread so this has certainly been said...but I think it just comes down to winning like with any league or team. There's the core fans and there are the masses. Just the way it works.

Go to the ncaa tourney (which we will this year and next year)...and we'll see what happens.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
Nah, it's kinda the same.  Remember, I said my kids were Frosh when they did this.  Even so, my son never understood pregaming too much as an upperclassman.  He did want to be ablet o focus on the game.  But they were both upper deckers by Junior year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
Upper Bowl didn't exist last night. anyways I'm truly hoping this badger game will get a lot of students into basketball more so that more of us will show up more often to games. we should at minium be filling the lower bowl at games. its just sad. I'm gonna tear up. there were 500 students there lastr night.  :'(. and I don't think people are watching it on tv instead of taking 10 min to get to the bradely center. there just not even following it. no one is into sports as much for some reason. sorry for the spelling

Three years of losing is taking its toll.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 02:47:54 PM »
I am a huge MU bball fan but I never saw the appeal of sitting outside the Bradley Center in the cold for hours before a game to be able to run into the stadium just to sit in the lower bowl of a big game during my time in 2004-2008.

To each their own, but I thought the upper deck was always much more fun. It was extra rowdy...packed with all the drunks who stayed at their keggers until 30 min before game time. Give me those guys everyday of the week. I sat in the lower bowl a handful of times and it was just a bunch of sober kids, like going to a game back in high school.

I'm sure that the upper deck experience is completely different now, but that's even more reason to not wait around outside if you can just show up and get into the lower bowl.

This, the only two games I'd camp out/go unbelievably early to were the ND and UW games and trust me that me and whomever came with me were likely the only two or three crapfaced in the bird cage.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »
During the Al years, there was no internet and only three television channels none of which televised the vast majority of the games.

Additional fun fact: During the Al years, there were about 8,000 items in an average grocery store, today there are 45,000+ (seemingly most of them craft beers)

Great points.  You mentioned it, but I'll add another general item:  Entertainment options are 100x what they were just 20 years ago.   

In the 70s, you had 4 TV stations, radio, a deck of cards, and MUBB.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
Great points.  You mentioned it, but I'll add another general item:  Entertainment options are 100x what they were just 20 years ago.   

And cheap beer and quarters
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »

And cheap beer and quarters

And Gail Pudvan, am I right?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
I miss the days of going to the Bradley Center at 3am, staying out in the freezing rain/cold just to get my seat for the Badger game. Never in my life would I ever do it again but those two times were so much fun, even the waiting around was enjoyable.

Never saw the appeal of drinking before or during a game, I enjoy watching basketball too much and don't think I could focus or make the many clever comments I did during games if I drank beforehand.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
 Gail was before my time.  Hottest cheerleader might have been the future Mrs. Marotta.    I've said it before, I will say it again.   My time at MU straddled the last two Majerus years and the first two Dukiet years.   I never missed a game that took place on campus while I was on campus.    Not one.   Season tickets 4 straight years.    I watched some bad basketball.   But I watched it in person.    Different generation.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
Never saw the appeal of drinking before or during a game, I enjoy watching basketball too much and don't think I could focus or make the many clever comments I did during games if I drank beforehand.
Drinking makes you make even more clever comments, silly!  And more of them!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:12:38 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2016, 08:40:20 PM »
Gail was before my time.  Hottest cheerleader might have been the future Mrs. Marotta. 

Yes.

And now she has a kid on the team.  I am old.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2016, 10:05:51 AM »
Marquette is not alone......
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2016/12/michigan_basketball_has_a_home.html#incart_river_home_pop

Pitt has the same problem: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2016/12/08/Joe-Starkey-Shaky-victory-against-Buffalo-shows-Pitt-still-has-some-work-to-do/stories/201612080090

• If I’ve seen Petersen Events Center emptier, I cannot recall. The announced attendance of 7,007 would suggest the building was more than half-full. It was not.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2016, 10:08:54 AM »
Wisconsin didn't fill its student section v. Syracuse last week.  Duke has had trouble filling out its student section.  This isn't simply an issue due to Marquette's record or the Big East.  Students would rather do something else.

I was actually at Cameron for Duke/Maine last Saturday, and was surprised that their student section wasn't completely full. It was probably at 90%, but definitely was not full.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
Marquette is not alone......
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2016/12/michigan_basketball_has_a_home.html#incart_river_home_pop

Yikes. This generation man. It's killing all sports. Watching red zone last Sunday between commercials of the MU game. Plenty of empty seats at WINNING nfl team stadiums.

You don't get what you pay for anymore at stadiums. Sad but true. I'll be at 10 home games this season. But I tell you what... my ginger jamo on my couch with my 60" is often times much more appealing.
Sad. But true.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
Yikes. This generation man. It's killing all sports. Watching red zone last Sunday between commercials of the MU game. Plenty of empty seats at WINNING nfl team stadiums.

You don't get what you pay for anymore at stadiums. Sad but true. I'll be at 10 home games this season. But I tell you what... my ginger jamo on my couch with my 60" is often times much more appealing.
Sad. But true.

What do you want at stadiums for your money? Genuinely curious.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »
What do you want at stadiums for your money? Genuinely curious.

What you get is great! But not for the price you pay anymore. I guess that's what I should have said. I get "inflation etc..." but if you don't have season tickets you use STUBHUB for $15 ticket plus fees so it's $25. And $7-8 a beer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be there! But I can see the appeal of staying home if you're an 18 year old.