collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Professional attire  (Read 18478 times)

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: Professional attire
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2016, 07:28:41 AM »
No S*it!!!!

Your work attire, sorry Millennials, shows respect for the people around you. You come in in flip flops and shorts and you're not respecting your job. You are not conveying seriousness.

If I'm a techie and want to stay a Techie First Class, then I dress down and look like Maynard Ferguson from Dobie Gillis. But if I want to run the whole enchilada someday, I dress like it and act like it.

Success is a holistic concept. Everything you say. Everything you do. Everyway in which you present yourself signals your commitment to success. Period.

Sorry, you clearly are not old enough.  It was Maynard G. Krebs (played by Bob Denver, who went onto Gilligan fame).  Maynard Ferguson was a Jazz artist.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:53:30 AM by Archies Bat »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
This is a great thread and is exactly why I enjoy working outside the US, in developing countries.  I have had the pleasure in my management career of:
- buying deodorant for a young lady in the office and explaining how it's used
- moving a guy's desk because the others complained about how much he farted
- detected an undiagnosed diabetic (and probably saved his life - according to him) by counseling him about bad breath and then finding his other issues were straight from the diabetes diagnosis tree
- detecting a severe dyslexic and getting him into remedial lessons for reading which enabled him to move from a technical job all they way into management where he belonged based on his intellect and capability
- handing a guy his bonus check and telling him that 50% of it needed to go to his wardrobe or his career would be limited because he came to work looking like a slob

... all without ever needing to bother with HR.  All quick, immediate solutions and all well received because they were delivered privately and in the right way.  I could never work in the hyper political and litigious USA office environment... ugh.
[/quote

Ever hand out any condoms ta da dudes, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
This is a great thread and is exactly why I enjoy working outside the US, in developing countries.  I have had the pleasure in my management career of:
- detected an undiagnosed diabetic (and probably saved his life - according to him) by counseling him about bad breath and then finding his other issues were straight from the diabetes diagnosis tree
- detecting a severe dyslexic and getting him into remedial lessons for reading which enabled him to move from a technical job all they way into management where he belonged based on his intellect and capability
- handing a guy his bonus check and telling him that 50% of it needed to go to his wardrobe or his career would be limited because he came to work looking like a slob
... all without ever needing to bother with HR.  All quick, immediate solutions and all well received because they were delivered privately and in the right way.  I could never work in the hyper political and litigious USA office environment... ugh.

I bet you also got rid of nonperformers without going through a 30-step Performance Improvement Plan as well.  Talk about a flipping waste of time....
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
Back in my day we were required to wear jackets at all times and especially to Mass!

If Scotty would spend more time running the damn school and less time crafting weepy love poems there would be an adherence to the time-honored traditions!

That was my dress code too plus the sport coat.  Guys would wear ties that looked like fish, covered with the 3 Stooges, the Knitted flat end tie, American flag, you name just to diversify and be different.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:38 AM »
Super grateful I went to public school after kindergarten....even that hell hole in Tampa, Fl  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »

As they say, the grass is always greener....

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2016, 10:32:14 AM »
I bet you also got rid of nonperformers without going through a 30-step Performance Improvement Plan as well.  Talk about a flipping waste of time....
The 30 steps is over to where they are sitting to tell them "See ya".  Even sacked a guy by phone once.  Told him to give his company phone and computer and car keys to the receptionist and be out of the office before 10am. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »
Sorry, you clearly are not old enough.  It was Maynard G. Krebs (played by Bob Denver, who went onto Gilligan fame).  Maynard Ferguson was a Jazz artist.

Senility sets it. of course you are right 8-)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »

Within the first month of starting with GE Cap in Jakarta my pribumi secretary informed me that she had to go home for a few days as her period had started. Years later I saw the compounds in Afghani villages where menstruating women were segregated as required by shari'ah law.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2016, 01:37:20 PM »

I am so glad I am retired.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »
Senility sets it. of course you are right 8-)

I may be right on this one, but being right about Gilligan is nothing to write home about. 

You were correct about the look, however.  When I was at MU, I grew a scraggly beard and dressed like cr@p, and my older sisters gave me grief and called me Maynard G. Krebs.  That's is the only reason I remembered the name.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »

I love yoga pants, on da right broad, hey?

that's it!  next question-does this person wear said "leggings" well or not?  if this certain employee wears the attire more along the lines of say, a victoria's secret babe, then it's no wonder the other ladies are "upset" and tell them to mind their own business.  if she wears the stuff like rosie o'donnell, by all means, write her up...quickly.  the complainants have good cause. eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
Sorry for the necro, but I thought this was relevant:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/us/united-airlines-leggings.html

I am personally familiar with United's dress code for pass travelers as I flew on a pass ticket about 20 years ago (before it was limited to dependents and immediate family only)... I wasn't related to the employee, yet I was fully aware of the dress code.

Nevertheless, I understand both sides of the issue... though archaic & inconsistent, at best, there's still a (quasi-workplace) dress code and it's the employees' responsibility to enforce.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »
Sorry for the necro, but I thought this was relevant:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/us/united-airlines-leggings.html

I am personally familiar with United's dress code for pass travelers as I flew on a pass ticket about 20 years ago (before it was limited to dependents and immediate family only)... I wasn't related to the employee, yet I was fully aware of the dress code.

Nevertheless, I understand both sides of the issue... though archaic & inconsistent, at best, there's still a (quasi-workplace) dress code and it's the employees' responsibility to enforce.

This one is pretty easy. Flying for free as a courtesy from United, need to follow their rules. I am not sure why Hollywood has their pitchforks out over this one.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »

This one is pretty easy. Flying for free as a courtesy from United, need to follow their rules. I am not sure why Hollywood has their pitchforks out over this one.

Pure speculation, but the twitterer, tweeter, twittizen (not sure how to personify one who "tweets") who originally broke the story injected the "sexist" angle early on -- any big story needs a hot button, and so it's got one now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
The problem was that the original twitter person was misinformed on a number of fronts.  First, she was unaware that she was flying on a pass.  Second, she was unaware that rules for pass holders existed.  Finally, she was complaining about the father wearing shorts, but he was not flying.

That being said, any policy that doesn't allow 10 year olds to wear leggings on a plane is dumb. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
Wonder if da rules apply ta underwear? Gotta figure lotsa folks flyin' via United rules are goin' free willy, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
Back to the broad in question.  Does she have a FUPA?  If not, does she sport the camel toe?

If 1) sugar needs to cover up. 
If 2) post pics.
If both, she needs ta hit the dentist in da Quon.

My office is very casual.   Sadly, that means that the pleasantly plumpers can wear luluroe leggings.  Got news for you honey,  paisley, pandas and waffles just make your fat legs fatter.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »
The problem was that the original twitter person was misinformed on a number of fronts.  First, she was unaware that she was flying on a pass.  Second, she was unaware that rules for pass holders existed.  Finally, she was complaining about the father wearing shorts, but he was not flying.

That being said, any policy that doesn't allow 10 year olds to wear leggings on a plane is dumb.

Agreed on all counts and if we were an enlightened society we'd actually recognize there are all sorts of "villains" in this story, but instead the focus will be on how United is a barbaric, neanderthal organization (which isn't untrue, but still)

Villains, in no particular order:
1. United's clothing policy for employees
2. Twitterzen who was completely uninformed who first "reported" the story
3. Media/Social Justice Warriors who took up the cause without knowing/articulating the full story
4. Whatever United employee decided that 10 year olds wearing leggings and traveling on an employee pass was the hill to die on
5. People who need to be woke about everything and make sure everyone knows it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2017, 08:00:26 AM »
Back to the broad in question.  Does she have a FUPA?  If not, does she sport the camel toe?

If 1) sugar needs to cover up. 
If 2) post pics.
If both, she needs ta hit the dentist in da Quon.

My office is very casual.   Sadly, that means that the pleasantly plumpers can wear luluroe leggings.  Got news for you honey,  paisley, pandas and waffles just make your fat legs fatter.

I get that you have a schtick and a sullied reputation to uphold, but this is not funny and generally awful

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2017, 11:24:33 AM »
I get that you have a schtick and a sullied reputation to uphold, but this is not funny and generally awful

On top of that, one of the people we're talking about is a 10 year old.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »

This is news in the social media age. "Report" first and figure out the details later. Normally by the time the actual facts have come out, no one is interested in them.

End of the day, it doesn't matter what you think of the actual policy, it was violated. It doesn't matter if the girls knew of the policy, it was violated. Ignorantia juris non excusat.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
End of the day, it doesn't matter what you think of the actual policy, it was violated. It doesn't matter if the girls knew of the policy, it was violated. Ignorantia juris non excusat.

At the end of the day, 99% of the things we talk about on Scoop are about our opinions.  That's all I was stating.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »

At the end of the day, 99% of the things we talk about on Scoop are about our opinions.  That's all I was stating.

Although I quoted you, my second sentence wasn't directed specifically towards you. Just a general statement to those who are up in arms over this situation (which does not appear to include you). I guess I should have said that it doesn't matter what one thinks of the actual policy...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
On top of that, one of the people we're talking about is a 10 year old.

I'm not talking about the United thing.  Give me a break.

feedback