[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Racist Logos - Indians vs. Fighting Irish  (Read 27438 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Racist Logos - Indians vs. Fighting Irish
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
I literally have no idea what any of this means.

+1, but TBF, that's par for the course.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2016, 12:38:39 AM »
I literally have no idea what any of this means.

He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »
LOL. I love this cryptic 8th grade stuff. Just like Hoopaloop was "not Chicos," it was "someone else who let Chicos use their screen name."

Oh, so 8th grade is a little too much for you?  Must I dumb it down for you?  I think you could get it if you wanted to, but your opinion of me clouds your ability to do some critical thinking. 

Here, I will go real slow for you- you know Henry's msg #129 above, right?  It goes thru the steps of how to put someone on ignore.  For those of you in rio Linda, that means erasing them from appearing on your scoop page so you do not have to make any wise ass responses back to them revealing your attempts to cover any embarrassment. OR with any self control, you could try to let it roll off your shoulders and move on without responding back.  I was going to try #2, but with some of your buddies(yogi's) piling on a little for you, to prevent your self esteem from getting hurt, I just felt the need to defend myself. 

As for the comment from the pink panther-sometimes people refer to humor as incongruity.  I know, this may have been a little beyond the 8th grade for you; for that, I will apologize and try something a little simpler for you to chuckle at, if that's at all possible.  once again, however,  I understand your how your preconceived opinions living in your head, "rent free" seem to be a real hinderance to many things

"When a person or situation gets to you so much that all you can think about is that one thing, and one thing only. It's on your mind so much that they might as well settle down in your mind and rent space in you head. "

Enjoy your day and GO PACK, 'ey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
If the Indians win the Series (and that's far from a foregone conclusion), I can't help but wonder if they'll retire Chief Wahoo. They've been de-emphasizing him for years, and the Commish is planning to speak with them during the off season. Maybe he's gone either way, but it might be easier to retire him if they win. Kinda like Peyton Manning.   ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »
White people in America don't get to decide if something isn't racist.

None of us know what it's like. Our opinions are invalid.

Tell that to my Catholic, German American grandparents who had a cross burning in their front yard while living in West Virginia at the start of World War II and my uncle who fought in the battle of the Bulge who was asked, "How does it feel to kill your Nazi cousins." Bigotry is not just limited to race and please don't tell us we don't know what it's like.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »
Tell that to my Catholic, German American grandparents who had a cross burning in their front yard while living in West Virginia at the start of World War II and my uncle who fought in the battle of the Bulge who was asked, "How does it feel to kill your Nazi cousins." Bigotry is not just limited to race and please don't tell us we don't know what it's like.

Anti-Catholic and anti-German, anti-Irish, anti-Italian, etc.  sentiment, while previously very real, came nowhere close to what racial groups such as Native Americans and African Americans have experienced, and continue to experience. And, as your post clearly demonstrates (since you are talking about your grandparents), anti-Catholic and ethnically-based prejudices of various European groups has been basically non-existent since the 1960s, when these groups integrated into the white American mainstream. So while your grandparents may have had to deal with this (and as a Catholic of German and Irish ancestry myself, mine certainly did too, by the way), I highly doubt you have ever felt the impacts of such bigotry.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:19:17 PM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »

Oh, so 8th grade is a little too much for you?  Must I dumb it down for you?  I think you could get it if you wanted to, but your opinion of me clouds your ability to do some critical thinking. 

Here, I will go real slow for you- you know Henry's msg #129 above, right?  It goes thru the steps of how to put someone on ignore.  For those of you in rio Linda, that means erasing them from appearing on your scoop page so you do not have to make any wise ass responses back to them revealing your attempts to cover any embarrassment. OR with any self control, you could try to let it roll off your shoulders and move on without responding back.  I was going to try #2, but with some of your buddies(yogi's) piling on a little for you, to prevent your self esteem from getting hurt, I just felt the need to defend myself. 

As for the comment from the pink panther-sometimes people refer to humor as incongruity.  I know, this may have been a little beyond the 8th grade for you; for that, I will apologize and try something a little simpler for you to chuckle at, if that's at all possible.  once again, however,  I understand your how your preconceived opinions living in your head, "rent free" seem to be a real hinderance to many things

"When a person or situation gets to you so much that all you can think about is that one thing, and one thing only. It's on your mind so much that they might as well settle down in your mind and rent space in you head. "

Enjoy your day and GO PACK, 'ey?

On a practical level, how do I ignore someone who is continually creating new user names?

On a philosophical level, I prefer not to ignore anyone, but rather engage them respectfully. At the same time, I try to abide by the rules of the moderators, including adhering to bans. I was actually given a two week timeout a few years ago. I figured I deserved it and stayed off Scoop for the duration of the ban, and afterwards sent a PM apology to the moderator that banned me. I've tried to be respectful of the rules ever since. I expect the same from all my fellow Scoopers. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:25:07 PM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »
If the Indians win the Series (and that's far from a foregone conclusion), I can't help but wonder if they'll retire Chief Wahoo. They've been de-emphasizing him for years, and the Commish is planning to speak with them during the off season. Maybe he's gone either way, but it might be easier to retire him if they win. Kinda like Peyton Manning.   ;)

That's an interesting point. And I think you're right, it would probably be easier for fans to swallow.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
I don't think it was intended to be racist either. But times change.

I have no problem with the name Indians, but why not have a logo showing Indians in a positive light instead of a silly, probably racist caricature.

I totally agree with you on that.  As I have mentioned before, our HS is the Warriors and the logos are a warbonnet and a lance . Great way to address the issue. something Marquette could have done

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »
He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.

Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »
Anti-Catholic and anti-German, anti-Irish, anti-Italian, etc.  sentiment, while previously very real, came nowhere close to what racial groups such as Native Americans and African Americans have experienced, and continue to experience. And, as your post clearly demonstrates (since you are talking about your grandparents), anti-Catholic and ethnically-based prejudices of various European groups has been basically non-existent since the 1960s, when these groups integrated into the white American mainstream. So while your grandparents may have had to deal with this (and as a Catholic of German and Irish ancestry myself, mine certainly did too, by the way), I highly doubt you have ever felt the impacts of such bigotry.

I don't know where you've been, but anti-Catholic sentiment is alive and well.  I'm not going to compare it to the injustices against Native and African Americans, but there's been a renewal of anti-Catholic sentiment over the past decade, let alone one of it's showrunners happens to be a candidate for POTUS right now.  Now, I'm not going to go out and start whining that I feel like I'm being victimized as a Catholic (because I don't), but just because people aren't acting on their prejudices, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »
I don't know where you've been, but anti-Catholic sentiment is alive and well.  I'm not going to compare it to the injustices against Native and African Americans, but there's been a renewal of anti-Catholic sentiment over the past decade, let alone one of it's showrunners happens to be a candidate for POTUS right now.  Now, I'm not going to go out and start whining that I feel like I'm being victimized as a Catholic (because I don't), but just because people aren't acting on their prejudices, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Examples, please?
I mean, I've no doubt people have said things that are upsetting to or insensitive toward Catholics, probably even insulting. But are Catholics being denied opportunity or treated unequally in the workplace, courtroom, schools, etc., because of their Catholicism?
If not, cries of anti-Catholicism (as another, not you, has done) really doesn't belong in this discussion.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
Examples, please?
I mean, I've no doubt people have said things that are upsetting to or insensitive toward Catholics, probably even insulting.

Plenty of examples in the emails released by wikileaks.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »
Plenty of examples in the emails released by wikileaks.

Great. Show me some.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »

Not buying it.

I am a practicing Catholic and can't think of one instance where I have been the victim of prejudice.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »
Not buying it.

I am a practicing Catholic and can't think of one instance where I have been the victim of prejudice.

Again... just because people aren't acting on their prejudice doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Examples, please?
I mean, I've no doubt people have said things that are upsetting to or insensitive toward Catholics, probably even insulting. But are Catholics being denied opportunity or treated unequally in the workplace, courtroom, schools, etc., because of their Catholicism?
If not, cries of anti-Catholicism (as another, not you, has done) really doesn't belong in this discussion.

Absolutely, but neither does claims of anti-Catholic prejudice being non-existent since the 60's.  And I'm talking about sentiment and prejudice here, not injustices.  If you want specific examples, go bark up someone else's tree because those aren't my nuts on the ground.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »
Not buying it.

As it affects my life, never.    However... my wife went to Calvin College.   Christian Reformed.   When she took me to their homecoming when we were engaged(1992) and introduced me to her friends, the first thing they asked was about my religion and I watched them visibly flinch when she said that I was Catholic.   Not the only time that I have witnessed reactions like that from non-Catholics around here.   Some conservative protestant denominations still view Catholics as pope-worshipers.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2016, 12:43:23 PM »
Again... just because people aren't acting on their prejudice doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Absolutely, but neither does claims of anti-Catholic prejudice being non-existent since the 60's.  And I'm talking about sentiment and prejudice here, not injustices.  If you want specific examples, go bark up someone else's tree because those aren't my nuts on the ground.

I guess I slightly misspoke. I'm sure there are people who privately harbor anti-Catholic prejudice. Although certainly far, far, fewer than five decades ago.

The difference is that the people who still feel that way about Catholics are such a fringe minority of American society that they have virtually zero impact on the actual lives of American Catholics.

An email from wikileaks showing that Clinton's campaign has a negative view of Catholics has zero real impact on my life.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »
I guess I slightly misspoke. I'm sure there are people who privately harbor anti-Catholic prejudice. Although certainly far, far, fewer than five decades ago.

The difference is that the people who still feel that way about Catholics are such a fringe minority of American society that they have virtually zero impact on the actual lives of American Catholics.

An email from wikileaks showing that Clinton's campaign has a negative view of Catholics has zero real impact on my life.

Tell that to the Little Sisters of the Poor who still may be facing a 2k fine per employee for their refusal to pay for birth control and abortifacients mandated in Obamacare and view the waiver as a permission slip to have some other party pay for something which they believe is immoral.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
Tell that to the Little Sisters of the Poor who still may be facing a 2k fine per employee for their refusal to pay for birth control and abortifacients mandated in Obamacare and view the waiver as a permission slip to have some other party pay for something which they believe is immoral.

I'm very familiar with the case and have a very different perspective from you. Reasonable accommodations have been made for them.

Regardless of my view or your view, the case will be settled by the Supreme Court, 4 of 8 of whom are Catholic. Further evidence of their integration into mainstream society.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »
I'm very familiar with the case and have a very different perspective from you. Reasonable accommodations have been made for them.

Regardless of my view or your view, the case will be settled by the Supreme Court, 4 of 8 of whom are Catholic. Further evidence of their integration into mainstream society.

This case should have never went to court in the first place. Petty obvious the Obama administration was really heavy handed with the sisters and could have easily granted them an exemption.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2016, 02:24:06 PM »
This case should have never went to court in the first place. Petty obvious the Obama administration was really heavy handed with the sisters and could have easily granted them an exemption.

Agree to disagree. Again, the great thing about our country is that we have a Supreme Court to arbitrate. And again, 50% of that court is Roman Catholic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »

That's not an example of discrimination against Catholics.  It's a Constitutional issue between their obligations as an employer versus their freedoms as a religious organization.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »

That's not an example of discrimination against Catholics.  It's a Constitutional issue between their obligations as an employer versus their freedoms as a religious organization.

Catholicism is the only major religion that rejects birth control and as such was targeted to force it's religious groups to comply.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
Catholicism is the only major religion that rejects birth control and as such was targeted to force it's religious groups to comply.

ALL qualifying employers have to comply.  The fact that Catholic groups don't want to, and are facing punishment because of it, isn't due to anti-Catholic discrimination.  It's due to the fact they are breaking the law.

feedback