[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Racist Logos - Indians vs. Fighting Irish  (Read 27424 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Racist Logos - Indians vs. Fighting Irish
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2016, 05:25:40 PM »
Catholicism is the only major religion that rejects birth control and as such was targeted to force it's religious groups to comply.

Hobby Lobby, which had a very similar fight with the Obama administration, is owned by an evangelical family.

brandx

« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »
I don't know where you've been, but anti-Catholic sentiment is alive and well.  I'm not going to compare it to the injustices against Native and African Americans, but there's been a renewal of anti-Catholic sentiment over the past decade ........

Some folks are offended when a religion hires pedophiles and then covers for them.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
Some folks are offended when a religion hires pedophiles and then covers for them.

Just like Islam hired a bunch of terrorists and then covered for them, right?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2016, 10:08:05 PM »
I guess I slightly misspoke. I'm sure there are people who privately harbor anti-Catholic prejudice. Although certainly far, far, fewer than five decades ago.

The difference is that the people who still feel that way about Catholics are such a fringe minority of American society that they have virtually zero impact on the actual lives of American Catholics.

An email from wikileaks showing that Clinton's campaign has a negative view of Catholics has zero real impact on my life.

So those at the top of the food chain of the Clinton campaign are a "fringe minority of American society"? Don't think so.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
This thread is still open?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2016, 05:06:59 AM »
This thread is still open?

kinda like pickin at da scab, eyn'a?  oh, what the hell!  freedom from religion and separation of church and state aughtta fit in here somewhere, but depends on who's arguing what i guess
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
So those at the top of the food chain of the Clinton campaign are a "fringe minority of American society"? Don't think so.

You're reaching.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »
You're reaching.

No, merely turning your own assertions into a syllogism.

If (A) the only people who have a negative view of Catholics are on the fringe

And (B) emails show that the Clinton campaign has a negative view of Catholics

Then (C) the Clinton campaign is on the fringe.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »
No, merely turning your own assertions into a syllogism.

If (A) the only people who have a negative view of Catholics are on the fringe

And (B) emails show that the Clinton campaign has a negative view of Catholics

Then (C) the Clinton campaign is on the fringe.

Good grief.
 (A) One snarky remark made five years ago from a communications staffer (who wasn't a communications staffer at the time) does not "the Clinton campaign has a negative view of Catholics."
(B) The remark did not address all Catholics or Catholicism, but rather two specific Catholic converts (Rupert Murdoch and Robert Thomson) who the writer believed - correctly or not - were bastardizing Catholicism.
(C) That remark is not evidence of discrimination against Catholics.

Here's the remark, since you didn't include it, so everyone can judge whether it is what you claim it to be:
"Many of the most powerful elements of the conservative movement are all Catholic (many converts) from the [Supreme Court] and think tanks to the media and social groups,” Halpin wrote in the 2011 email, according to WikiLeaks. “It’s an amazing bastardization of the faith. They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.”

By the way, I also believe the Catholic Church has a backwards view of gender relations. Does this mean I'm prejudiced against Catholics?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2016, 10:22:25 AM »
Good grief.
 (A) One snarky remark made five years ago from a communications staffer (who wasn't a communications staffer at the time) does not "the Clinton campaign has a negative view of Catholics."
(B) The remark did not address all Catholics or Catholicism, but rather two specific Catholic converts (Rupert Murdoch and Robert Thomson) who the writer believed - correctly or not - were bastardizing Catholicism.

Here's the remark, since you didn't include it, so everyone can judge whether it is what you claim it to be:
"Many of the most powerful elements of the conservative movement are all Catholic (many converts) from the [Supreme Court] and think tanks to the media and social groups,” Halpin wrote in the 2011 email, according to WikiLeaks. “It’s an amazing bastardization of the faith. They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.”

By the way, I also believe the Catholic Church has a backwards view of gender relations. Does this mean I'm prejudiced against Catholics?

Good grief, indeed. They're not my words. They're Coleman's.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »
Good grief.

Yup

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
In before the lock!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »
Can someone explain what "gender relations" are, i.e. is that a) similar to "public relations" insomuch as how the church speaks to the genders separately, b) how the genders relate to each other, or c) something else?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2016, 11:42:04 AM »
Can someone explain what "gender relations" are, i.e. is that a) similar to "public relations" insomuch as how the church speaks to the genders separately, b) how the genders relate to each other, or c) something else?

All of the above.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »

I believe Catholic teaching is to abstain from gender relations until marriage.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
All of the above.

So in other words, nobody has a clue as to what that meant.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »
So in other words, nobody has a clue as to what that meant.

I gave an answer as sincere as your question.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »
I gave an answer as sincere as your question.

And I can appreciate your confidence, but I'm still wondering to what the hell Halpin was referring.  Context is significant.

feedback