[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: come on MAN!  (Read 4698 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
come on MAN!
« on: October 22, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/22/calif-university-deems-man-secretary-male-nurse-not-inclusive-enough.html

this was just too good to pass up
        no more phrases with the term "man" in it nor anything that may imply a specific gender.  BUT, ya'll gotta appreciate the spokeswhatever's disclaimer at the end...put it this way-freedom of speech really ain't free out there.  don't let them kid you.  i'm sure they're going to have a run on counselors for those who are having difficulty ridding themselves of that nasty old "man-made" habit. 

is it any wonder why their 4 year graduation rate is 13%??

please please,  i hope this one burns out before it gets to the midwest.

time for a "4everwarrior-ism" to bring some levity back to mankind, 'ey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
Re: come on MAN!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »
Just stop.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »
Just stop.

lighten up francis-just having a little fun ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/22/calif-university-deems-man-secretary-male-nurse-not-inclusive-enough.html

this was just too good to pass up
        no more phrases with the term "man" in it nor anything that may imply a specific gender.  BUT, ya'll gotta appreciate the spokeswhatever's disclaimer at the end...put it this way-freedom of speech really ain't free out there.  don't let them kid you.  i'm sure they're going to have a run on counselors for those who are having difficulty ridding themselves of that nasty old "man-made" habit. 

is it any wonder why their 4 year graduation rate is 13%??

please please,  i hope this one burns out before it gets to the midwest.

time for a "4everwarrior-ism" to bring some levity back to mankind, 'ey?

The words aren't banned. It's just a list of commonly used non inclusive phrases  that they want to make people aware of and think about.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:42:09 AM »
The words aren't banned. It's just a list of commonly used non inclusive phrases  that they want to make people aware of and think about.

"Also off-limits: “Mankind,” “man the desk/phones/tables,” “hey guys,” “man-made,” “workmanship,” “hey, dudes!” and “the common man.” And don’t even think about using “man” or calling someone “Mrs. or Miss,” or more than a dozen other words and phrases.

As part of its Inclusive Language Program, CSU Fullerton also invited students to let the University know what words or phrases “you want people to eliminate.”

i'm thinking about what these words really mean as well

i guess i am just a little uncomfortable about where we are going with all of this

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:11 AM »
"Also off-limits: “Mankind,” “man the desk/phones/tables,” “hey guys,” “man-made,” “workmanship,” “hey, dudes!” and “the common man.” And don’t even think about using “man” or calling someone “Mrs. or Miss,” or more than a dozen other words and phrases.

As part of its Inclusive Language Program, CSU Fullerton also invited students to let the University know what words or phrases “you want people to eliminate.”

i guess i am just a little uncomfortable about where we are going with all of this

It's all from the Newspeak dictionary from 1984.

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Love is Hate

Big Brother Loves You.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »
PC isms at it again. Dat's why Trump gained traction. A penis is a dick and a vagina is a poosay, and its always gonna be so in spite of witch crapper ya walk inta, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 10:10:02 AM »

The article you quoted says off limits. If you actually read the statement from the university, there is nothing about them being off limits. The author is just doesn't like the concept of inclusive language so he tries to make it seem worse than it is.

I'm fine if the university wants people to think about the implications of some of these words. Men remain Mr. regardless of their marital status, but women go from Ms. to Mrs. when they marry because society deemed it important to know that they are now "owned" by a man. Its an interesting thing to think about discuss. The kind of discussion you should be having at a university. Some are a little silly IMHO. The "man the stations" one stands out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
Come on, Rocket.  You can't even agree that "male nurse" is a stupid phrase?

I take it you don't have any "lady dentists" in your practice.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
I haven't been using words like "secretary" or "mankind" for nearly 20 years.  And I never refer to someone as "Miss" or "Mrs" unless they identify as such.

Really, this is a controversy?

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
Amen

(can we say Amen, since men is in the word?)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 02:07:24 PM »
Come on, Rocket.  You can't even agree that "male nurse" is a stupid phrase?

I take it you don't have any "lady dentists" in your practice.

i did a few years ago and she was a damn good dds.  left due to health issues and to have babies.  we still keep in touch and she knows that she is welcome to come back to help out any time

"male nurse" sometimes people want a clarification as historically, the career has been dominated by women.  i do not see the use of the term is or should be a degradation.  tell people to be offended or tell them what to be offended by? 

how about this one-"male dental hygienist"  i've only met 2 in my life.  so is that term out of bounds as well?

all that this does is clear up any preconceived notion; nothing disrespectful in my mind, but then again, i may need some re-programming myself ?-(

the article also states " inappropriate to use" the terms they outline in their "guide"  so what does "inappropriate" mean?  if the wrong person over hears one using one of the "inappropriate" words, what kind of "discipline" is forthcoming from the "word police"?  counselors, man your stations, 'ey?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:55:55 PM by rocket surgeon »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »

With the exception of TAMU being right (they are not banned) and agreeing with warriorchick, Male Nurse is absurdly stupid; I agree with you on this issue.

These words are not "non-inclusive", they are only "non-inclusive" because people are looking for things to take offense at.  Man, Woman, Mankind, men, women, male, female are only non-inclusive because they are describing physically different entities for clarity sake. 

masculine and feminine be avoided because they are divisive; how about the word feminism then, rooted in the word female and feminine for the intentional demarcation between man and woman.

There are key issues that need to be addressed.  We are a long way from treating people with equality.  There are many causes to that problem, but these words are not part of it; rather focusing on issues like these words, instead of the major discriminatory issues only detracts and cheapens an important movement.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »
well, here we go-northern colorado univ. mandates "free speech" that ain't so free, 'ey?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/27/univ-northern-colorado-students-forced-to-use-mandatory-gender-neutral-language.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
well, here we go-northern colorado univ. mandates "free speech" that ain't so free, 'ey?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/27/univ-northern-colorado-students-forced-to-use-mandatory-gender-neutral-language.html

The University of Northern Colorado isn't mandating anything.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 03:47:12 PM »
Men remain Mr. regardless of their marital status, but women go from Ms. to Mrs. when they marry because society deemed it important to know that they are now "owned" by a man. Its an interesting thing to think about discuss.

You missed some history here.

Prior to the 70s the term was Miss for the unmarried female and Mrs. for the married.

"Ms."... fixed the problem,

Ms. was newly invented to cover both. It remains proper/preferred to refer to any female with the Ms. connotation as it applies regardless of marital status...ie

Ms. is the equivalent of Mr. and is the permanent cure for the historical female marital status monikers you have referenced.

Please revise your TAMU Title IX handbook accordingly. lol
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:50:31 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 03:48:41 PM »
People who get all their news from Fox News probably shouldn't mock others for seeking "safe spaces."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »
People who get all their news from Fox News probably shouldn't mock others for seeking "safe spaces."

Thanks for that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »
Amen

(can we say Amen, since men is in the word?)

Yes, Chicos, you can say Amen. You are not persecuted. It's just the voices in your head telling you so.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »

why is that?  and BTW,  i don't get all my news from fox

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »
why is that?  and BTW,  i don't get all my news from fox

Of course you don't, ya got Brietbart and Alex Jones too.

JOKES!   Like RS!   :P

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 07:39:17 PM »

That ad hominem argument though.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:03 PM »
In before the lock.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 09:05:21 PM »
That ad hominem argument though.

I don't think you know what that means.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »
I don't think you know what that means.

Insulting the person instead of the argument they make.

"People who get all their news from Fox News probably shouldn't mock others for seeking "safe spaces."

Seems like a pretty easy case.

feedback