[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: come on MAN!  (Read 4691 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: come on MAN!
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 02:15:45 AM »
You missed some history here.

Prior to the 70s the term was Miss for the unmarried female and Mrs. for the married.

"Ms."... fixed the problem,

Ms. was newly invented to cover both. It remains proper/preferred to refer to any female with the Ms. connotation as it applies regardless of marital status...ie

Ms. is the equivalent of Mr. and is the permanent cure for the historical female marital status monikers you have referenced.

Please revise your TAMU Title IX handbook accordingly. lol

I actually didn't know that. I appreciate the share. Unfortunately, Ms. may have certainly intended to have fix the problem but it didn't. People still associate Ms. with unmarried and Mrs. with married without a similar switch for men. Now I still go by mister and if someone introduces themselves as ms. or mrs. I absolutely acknowledge them by those names. But I don't think it hurts to discuss the societal implications of these types of things.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 02:19:55 AM »
well, here we go-northern colorado univ. mandates "free speech" that ain't so free, 'ey?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/27/univ-northern-colorado-students-forced-to-use-mandatory-gender-neutral-language.html

This is an interesting story...though the title and your post are a bit misleading. I also would love to read the syllabus for myself to see how "mandated" it actually is. But if it is as the article leads it to be, it becomes a debate of free speech vs. academic freedom. Since it is a sociology class, I'd give some leeway. If an engineering professor started grading students on inclusive language, I'd be concerned. An interesting topic for sure.
TAMU

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
This is an interesting story...though the title and your post are a bit misleading. I also would love to read the syllabus for myself to see how "mandated" it actually is. But if it is as the article leads it to be, it becomes a debate of free speech vs. academic freedom. Since it is a sociology class, I'd give some leeway. If an engineering professor started grading students on inclusive language, I'd be concerned. An interesting topic for sure.

i've been known to use a little sarcasm in my posts from time to time, but at least you sniffed out some of the potential issues that could go wrong...quickly.  in the big scheme of things, this seems to me to be more rabble rousing and wasted energy than educational. is this really going to lead to more respect? whenever something like this is MANDATED, it loses some of it's appeal and is looked at with a whole different lens

in a completely unrelated side note-did you see texas A & M made the news the other day-some chick(term probably won't fly in class) ran in to a cop car while trying to take a topless selfie for her main squeeze. 

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Police-AM-student-slams-into-police-car-after-taking-Snapchat-photo-for-boyfriend-398886641.html

for entertainment purposes only-must our dads out there with daughters at college advise?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:17:40 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 07:42:01 AM »
Insulting the person instead of the argument they make.

"People who get all their news from Fox News probably shouldn't mock others for seeking "safe spaces."

Seems like a pretty easy case.

He made an argument? Pointing out inconsistency is a personal insult?
You've confirmed that you don't know what ad hominem means.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:45:09 AM by Pakuni »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 09:10:47 AM »
i've been known to use a little sarcasm in my posts from time to time, but at least you sniffed out some of the potential issues that could go wrong...quickly.  in the big scheme of things, this seems to me to be more rabble rousing and wasted energy than educational. is this really going to lead to more respect? whenever something like this is MANDATED, it loses some of it's appeal and is looked at with a whole different lens

as an incompletely unrelated side note-did you see texas A & M made the news the other day-some chick(term probably won't fly in class) ran in to a cop car while trying to take a topless selfie for her main squeeze. 

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Police-AM-student-slams-into-police-car-after-taking-Snapchat-photo-for-boyfriend-398886641.html

for entertainment purposes only-must our dads out there with daughters at college advise?

Hadn't seen that one yet. Took off work today to go to my bachelor party. But that is Fing hilarious.
TAMU

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
Congratulations! As our Jewish friends say, "Mazeltov"

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »
Hadn't seen that one yet. Took off work today to go to my bachelor party. But that is Fing hilarious.
Are you sure she wasnt one of the "entertainers" heading to your bachelor party? lol

http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Texas-A-M-student-arrested-after-hitting-police-10417357.php
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 06:25:46 AM »

if you are well enough to read this today-congratulations!  go aggies, 'ey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 07:05:13 AM »
Are you sure she wasnt one of the "entertainers" heading to your bachelor party? lol

http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Texas-A-M-student-arrested-after-hitting-police-10417357.php

Or da Mrs. TAMU Eagle ta be, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 09:05:23 AM »
Sartell said he found Rader in the gray Acura, with the airbags deployed
  8-)