[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89685 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »
DH'ing and batting 5th.  I'm good with him in the lineup but 5th seems awfully aggressive.  Would have preferred 7th or so.  Coghlan also in the lineup over Heyward.  Prioritizing offense.

Agreed completely. 5th is way too high for a guy that hasn't seen major league pitching since April. And don't like seeing Heyward out, his defense has been fantastic, no matter how broken the bat is.

EDIT: Damn near a home run there...Schwarber looks alright.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:35:55 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2016, 08:41:57 PM »
Jonathan Who?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »
Can't believe how crazy all the fans in Cleveland react whenever a ball is hit high/hard  ::)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
Agreed completely. 5th is way too high for a guy that hasn't seen major league pitching since April. And don't like seeing Heyward out, his defense has been fantastic, no matter how broken the bat is.

Will Carroll tweeted how he was rotating well and was surprised how small the brace was. I'm surprised he's in there, but if he comes up with a big hit early in the series, that could do a lot for momentum.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »
Jonathan who?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:33 PM »
  Prioritizing offense.

.So much for that

tower912

• All American
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2016, 05:27:12 AM »
All season long, while their team was dominating the AL Central, Cleveland fans stayed away.   They showed up for the playoffs.   At least Cubs fans showed up all year.   

Having watched Cleveland a lot this year and watched them dominate the Tigers, I can say that last night was representative of how they have played all year.    Their offense is death by a thousand cuts, running every chance they get, always taking the extra base, and just enough power.    The Cleveland pitching staff, while currently depleted, still doesn't have a weak spot.   In September, against Detroit, their starting pitcher got hurt in the first inning.    The bullpen threw 10 innings of shutout ball.   
    On paper, Chicago is the better team.    But every time I have thought Cleveland was finally going to fail, I have been proven wrong.     I know it is only one game, but this is not a done deal for the Cubs.   Last night was not a fluke for Cleveland. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:32:02 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2016, 07:13:25 AM »

Schwaber is the first player in the history of baseball to get his first hit of the season in the World Series.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2016, 07:19:00 AM »
My wife and I were discussing that last night.   I assumed there had to be an American League pitcher who had done it.    So, you are saying that no American League pitcher in the DH era when no DH'ing of any kind was allowed in the World Series ever got a hit?    May want to check that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »
My wife and I were discussing that last night.   I assumed there had to be an American League pitcher who had done it.    So, you are saying that no American League pitcher in the DH era when no DH'ing of any kind was allowed in the World Series ever got a hit?    May want to check that.

He's actually the first position player to do so.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »
All season long, while their team was dominating the AL Central, Cleveland fans stayed away.   They showed up for the playoffs.   At least Cubs fans showed up all year.   

Having watched Cleveland a lot this year and watched them dominate the Tigers, I can say that last night was representative of how they have played all year.    Their offense is death by a thousand cuts, running every chance they get, always taking the extra base, and just enough power.    The Cleveland pitching staff, while currently depleted, still doesn't have a weak spot.   In September, against Detroit, their starting pitcher got hurt in the first inning.    The bullpen threw 10 innings of shutout ball.   
    On paper, Chicago is the better team.    But every time I have thought Cleveland was finally going to fail, I have been proven wrong.     I know it is only one game, but this is not a done deal for the Cubs.   Last night was not a fluke for Cleveland.

Of course it's not a fluke - Kluber is awesome.  And he got a little help with the zone.  When your command is that good and you get a little extra room it is awfully tough.  Perez hitting two HRs is a fluke, however. 

If the Cubs can't beat Bauer and Tomlin they don't deserve to win. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
He's actually the first position player to do so.

Correct, I forgot that qualifier (position player) above.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »
Of course it's not a fluke - Kluber is awesome.  And he got a little help with the zone.  When your command is that good and you get a little extra room it is awfully tough.  Perez hitting two HRs is a fluke, however. 

If the Cubs can't beat Bauer and Tomlin they don't deserve to win. 

And that's why I think that game was ultimately much more important for the Indians to win.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
I'm going to take a minute to complain about the ump, not as a Cub whiner, but rather because it was validated when Miller came in.  Larry Vanover was trash in my opinion.  Different zones for lefties and righties, and his zone was HUGE.  Lester was getting squeezed, yet Kluber was getting the left hand side of the player GENEROUSLY.  The strike out looking against Bryant in the first inning was further outside than a number of pitches from Lester called balls.

But, when Miller came in, he was getting the same sort of trouble that Lester was.  He battled through it cause he's filthy, but it was still garbage.

Thats why baseball is such a bizarre game.  There was no anti-Cubs sentiment from Vanover behind the plate, rather just an inconsistent zone that favored righties over lefties and the Indians happened to have an ace on his best stuff who was right handed.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2016, 10:42:50 AM »

And that's why I think that game was ultimately much more important for the Indians to win.

What concerns me is that Arrieta hasn't not been sharp lately at all. Including the postseason, he has a 5.21 ERA over his last 8 starts and that includes 7 shutout innings against STL. Bauer hasn't been great lately either so it could be a slugfest tonight. Therefore, I'm predicting...Cubs 2, Indians 1  ;)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
I'm going to take a minute to complain about the ump, not as a Cub whiner, but rather because it was validated when Miller came in.  Larry Vanover was trash in my opinion.  Different zones for lefties and righties, and his zone was HUGE.  Lester was getting squeezed, yet Kluber was getting the left hand side of the player GENEROUSLY.  The strike out looking against Bryant in the first inning was further outside than a number of pitches from Lester called balls.

But, when Miller came in, he was getting the same sort of trouble that Lester was.  He battled through it cause he's filthy, but it was still garbage.

Thats why baseball is such a bizarre game.  There was no anti-Cubs sentiment from Vanover behind the plate, rather just an inconsistent zone that favored righties over lefties and the Indians happened to have an ace on his best stuff who was right handed.

You are being a whiny Cub fan.  Here is the data to prove it.

Andrew Miller

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=10&day=25&year=2016&game=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&pitchSel=453192&prevGame=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&prevDate=1025&league=mlb

Kluber
http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=10&day=25&year=2016&game=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&pitchSel=446372&prevGame=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&prevDate=1025&league=mlb

Lester
http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=10&day=25&year=2016&game=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&pitchSel=452657&prevGame=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&prevDate=1025&league=mlb

Looks like the ump was pretty solid, and the worst call of the night went Lester's way.  I would be willing to bet that pitch which was a foot and a half off the plate was strike 3 on Brandon Guyer. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:05:07 AM by buckchuckler »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »

Agreed.  I guess there is some pretty striking data over the past 10-15 years about how important it is to win game 1.  Tonight's game is huge but I'm still optimistic about winning the series. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2016, 11:51:18 AM »
You are being a whiny Cub fan.  Here is the data to prove it.

Andrew Miller

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=10&day=25&year=2016&game=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&pitchSel=453192&prevGame=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&prevDate=1025&league=mlb

Kluber
http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=10&day=25&year=2016&game=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&pitchSel=446372&prevGame=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&prevDate=1025&league=mlb

Lester
http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=10&day=25&year=2016&game=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&pitchSel=452657&prevGame=gid_2016_10_25_chnmlb_clemlb_1%2F&prevDate=1025&league=mlb

Looks like the ump was pretty solid, and the worst call of the night went Lester's way.  I would be willing to bet that pitch which was a foot and a half off the plate was strike 3 on Brandon Guyer.

The ump didn't cost the Cubs game.  However, he missed some key pitches in the 1st inning.  Bryant should have been on 1st base.  And the pitch when Lindor stole second was right down the middle but called a ball.  That batter eventually walked.   

That being said, I'm all for robo-umps on balls and strikes.  I've seen enough horrendous zones this year to take the human element out of it.  One or two missed calls can make a huge difference. 

White Sox suck. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2016, 11:55:23 AM »
The ump didn't cost the Cubs game.  However, he missed some key pitches in the 1st inning.  Bryant should have been on 1st base.  And the pitch when Lindor stole second was right down the middle but called a ball.  That batter eventually walked.   

That being said, I'm all for robo-umps on balls and strikes.  I've seen enough horrendous zones this year to take the human element out of it.  One or two missed calls can make a huge difference. 

White Sox suck.

Surprisingly enough, I am not the one who compiled that data.  So there is no bias from me in there. 

You have now brought up the Sox twice in the last day.  That is interesting.  I thought cub fans didn't care about the Sox.
Cub fans suck. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:01:42 PM by buckchuckler »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »
I don't understand any argument against a robo strike zone.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »

How about the fact that there is a union involved.  And that the players union has always supported the umpires union.

Not necessarily a good arguement, but...

brandx

« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »
How about the fact that there is a union involved.  And that the players union has always supported the umpires union.

Which umpire's union?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
Which umpire's union?

The WUA.

Fine, there's an argument, but a bad one. There still needs to be a HP umpire, so they're not losing a job.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2016, 12:51:56 PM »

Is there still an umpire behind homeplate who's relaying the robo ump's calls? How does he get this info? How is the strike zone set? Is the robo ump re-programmed between batters? Do you use the same strike zone for Jose Altuve that you'd use for Aaron Judge?

feedback