collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 89676 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
Well hopefully Saturday night's win puts an end to the poor guy being mentioned incessantly every time the Cubs make the post-season, which will hopefully be a fairly regular occurrence.

I was at the game on Saturday but also recorded the broadcast.  Of course Smoltz couldn't help but mention it on a foul ball to that general area in the 9th.  So annoying.

The 9th inning of Game 6 included that harmless foul ball near Bartman territory as well as a tailor-made 6-4-3 double play that the Cubs were able to turn. It was like the baseball universe finally lined up properly for the Cubs  ;)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »
I don't know how he could have "cashed in" with putting his personal safety in jeopardy.  Didn't he have to move out of town, and if I heard correctly, legally change his name?

He still lives in the Chicago area and has received significant offers (six figures in some cases) to write a book, do an interview, etc. None of those things would have threatened his personal safety.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »
He still lives in the Chicago area and has received significant offers (six figures in some cases) to write a book, do an interview, etc. None of those things would have threatened his personal safety.

I am pretty sure that making public appearances are usually involved in promoting a book (unless you are Salman Rushdie). He could have done it and given the money to charity if safety wasn't an issue.

Why would you risk it, even if you didn't mind rehashing the most publicly humiliating moment of your life?

Have some patience, FFS.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
I am pretty sure that making public appearances are usually involved in promoting a book (unless you are Salman Rushdie). He could have done it and given the money to charity if safety wasn't an issue.

Why would you risk it, even if you didn't mind rehashing the most publicly humiliating moment of your life?

Nothing about this situation was usual. I agree with your point, and hope we don't have to hear about this poor guy much longer. Just a guy doing what any fan would do if a foul ball was hit in his direction.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:57:26 PM by Wally Schroeder »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »
The guy lives in Chicago and never changed his name.  I think the risk to his physical safety has always been pretty minimal. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »
99% of Cubs fans don't even blame Bartman.  It's the national media that continues to go with the lazy narrative.

I'm guessing they no longer show Bill Buckner video packages during Red Sox playoff games.  I look forward to the day when I never have to see Bartman, goats, Leon Durham, black cats, etc. again.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
99% of Cubs fans don't even blame Bartman.  It's the national media that continues to go with the lazy narrative.

I'm guessing they no longer show Bill Buckner video packages during Red Sox playoff games.  I look forward to the day when I never have to see Bartman, goats, Leon Durham, black cats, etc. again.

I'd still like to see Leon Durham...just in a positive light  ;)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:18 AM »
Schwarber officially on roster.  Rob Z off.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »
Schwarber officially on roster.  Rob Z off.

I like the move. In terms of lefties, I'd take my chances with a rusty Kyle Schwarber over Coghlan or LaStella as a PH. It also gives some flexibility because if Schwarber struggles, it'll be a "knee issue" and they can put him on the DL and add someone else.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2016, 09:40:04 AM »
I like the move. In terms of lefties, I'd take my chances with a rusty Kyle Schwarber over Coghlan or LaStella as a PH. It also gives some flexibility because if Schwarber struggles, it'll be a "knee issue" and they can put him on the DL and add someone else.

What I figured in terms of the roster.  It is risky but worth it for the potential upside and LH bat. 

You can't take someone off the roster due to a "pre-exsiting condition".  What I don't know is if it would still be considered a pre-existing condition if he was medically cleared.  Probably but I'm not sure. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2016, 10:08:28 AM »
What I figured in terms of the roster.  It is risky but worth it for the potential upside and LH bat. 

You can't take someone off the roster due to a "pre-exsiting condition".  What I don't know is if it would still be considered a pre-existing condition if he was medically cleared.  Probably but I'm not sure.

True, but they can say that his knee was re-injured and he can't play.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »
Salazar also on the Indians roster.  He was on his way to a Cy Young Award before he got injured.  If he's anywhere close to that he could be a game changer.  Doubtful, but who knows.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
Salazar also on the Indians roster.  He was on his way to a Cy Young Award before he got injured.  If he's anywhere close to that he could be a game changer.  Doubtful, but who knows.

Salazar is a very good pitcher but he was nowhere near on his way to a Cy Young Award before he got injured. 

He's another weapon but his command has never been great so we'll see if that and stamina are an issue. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
Salazar is a very good pitcher but he was nowhere near on his way to a Cy Young Award before he got injured. 

He's another weapon but his command has never been great so we'll see if that and stamina are an issue.

Sorry should've been 1st half not up to his injury.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »
Sorry should've been 1st half not up to his injury.

First half Salazar was must watch TV.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
forget it...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2016, 12:01:34 PM »
I wonder how Schwarber will be.  I mean, the guy hasn't seen big league pitching in a year, now he is in the WS.  Interesting move.  Gutsy move. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
I wonder how Schwarber will be.  I mean, the guy hasn't seen big league pitching in a year, now he is in the WS.  Interesting move.  Gutsy move.

I'm not expecting much from him but worth the risk, IMO. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
I'm good with Schwarber. Taking off a pitcher with as many as 4 in an AL park makes sense. Be interesting to see if he DHs tonight or is just a PH.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »
I'm good with Schwarber. Taking off a pitcher with as many as 4 in an AL park makes sense. Be interesting to see if he DHs tonight or is just a PH.

DH'ing and batting 5th.  I'm good with him in the lineup but 5th seems awfully aggressive.  Would have preferred 7th or so.  Coghlan also in the lineup over Heyward.  Prioritizing offense. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
DH'ing and batting 5th.  I'm good with him in the lineup but 5th seems awfully aggressive.  Would have preferred 7th or so.  Coghlan also in the lineup over Heyward.  Prioritizing offense.

At #5, Schwarber will have red-hot Javy Baez hitting behind him, which should lead to him seeing more good pitches.

Not sure about starting Coghlan. Heyward has definitely been struggling in the postseason but Coghlan is hitless in 5 ABs so he hasn't exactly set the world on fire, albeit with limited opportunities. That said, Maddon has seemingly pushed all the right buttons this season so I should probably be expecting a big game from Coughlan  ;)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
Go Tribe!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American

brandx

« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »

How is starting Coghlan over Heyward prioritizing offense?

Coghlan was probably the only non-pitcher who was a worse offensive player than Heyward this year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2016, 04:06:02 PM »
How is starting Coghlan over Heyward prioritizing offense?

Coghlan was probably the only non-pitcher who was a worse offensive player than Heyward this year.

He improved after the A's traded him back to the Cubs. He also got some very untimely injuries when he started to heat up. I like Coghlan a lot.