collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Avoiding neck and back pain sitting at a desk all day  (Read 2614 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Avoiding neck and back pain sitting at a desk all day
« on: July 15, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
Just curious as to what some of the things Scoopers do to avoid neck and back pain sitting at a work desk all day.  Do you keep your computer monitor(s) above eye level, at eye level, or below eye level?  Do you have your chair up high or down low in reference to your desk height?  Sit on an exercise ball?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Avoiding neck and back pain sitting at a desk all day
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »
chair height should equate to 90 degree bends in your hips and knees, monitor should be eye level at the top of the visual screen (not the physical plastic part of the monitor), if you feel like you slump through your low back or your head sticks out in front of you over time in sitting you might want to try a hand towel rolled up behind your back, it should sit across your low back on the top part part of your pelvis on the two PSIS/ posterior superior iliac spines (the two bones you can feel sticking out in the small of your back), don't put the towel in the curve, basically just below it.  they also make pillows for that called lumbar rolls, there is a bunch of them on the market but a towel roll works just as good but might not look as good. 

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »
Nice article, Wades.....I have the same problem, in fact going to see the chiro/therapist about the prob.   Sitting at this pc, creates some issues into my arm and neck...best to keep the neck straight, over the shoulders at all times.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »
chair height should equate to 90 degree bends in your hips and knees, monitor should be eye level at the top of the visual screen (not the physical plastic part of the monitor), if you feel like you slump through your low back or your head sticks out in front of you over time in sitting you might want to try a hand towel rolled up behind your back, it should sit across your low back on the top part part of your pelvis on the two PSIS/ posterior superior iliac spines (the two bones you can feel sticking out in the small of your back), don't put the towel in the curve, basically just below it.  they also make pillows for that called lumbar rolls, there is a bunch of them on the market but a towel roll works just as good but might not look as good.

Thanks for the response.  Very useful information.

Nice article, Wades.....I have the same problem, in fact going to see the chiro/therapist about the prob.   Sitting at this pc, creates some issues into my arm and neck...best to keep the neck straight, over the shoulders at all times.

Yeah, the office life is so physically unhealthy.  You aren't meant to sit around all day.  The best I can do is walk into the warehouse to the golf net we have and take some cuts at a few golf balls each day, even though I'm not a golfer.  Just loosens up the back and neck a little bit.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
The neck stuff; google chin tucks as a good exercise for postural correction like MUINGB is talking about keeping your head over your shoulders

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 04:04:16 PM »
Try a standing desk
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »
Standing desks are cool, especially if you can alternate between sitting and standing, so an adjustable one, or having two desks.  Good suggestion though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
Yeah I would love a standing desk but I haven't seen any in our offices outside of the execs offices.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »
I have a beautiful Geisha walk on my back twice a day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
Yeah I would love a standing desk but I haven't seen any in our offices outside of the execs offices.

Ask for it, you may be surprised. Wellness is a big issue now, and knowing you, you may be approved easier than 5'4" Susie from AP.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 10:15:05 PM »
Get a yoni massage, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 01:09:18 AM »
Every fighter pilot knows that a mid-day 'air start' works the kinks out

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »
Just curious as to what some of the things Scoopers do to avoid neck and back pain sitting at a work desk all day.  Do you keep your computer monitor(s) above eye level, at eye level, or below eye level?  Do you have your chair up high or down low in reference to your desk height?  Sit on an exercise ball?

That cash register is not "a work desk"

Definitely would talk to your employer about an adjustable desk... everyone around you will call you a p and wimp, but it'll be good for you.

Also, get an MRI of your c-spine, just in case.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 08:31:06 PM »
That cash register is not "a work desk"

Definitely would talk to your employer about an adjustable desk... everyone around you will call you a p and wimp, but it'll be good for you.

Also, get an MRI of your c-spine, just in case.

Eh. Don't see any indications in his post for that.

Second the adjustable/standing desk

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
Best way to avoid the neck and back pain is to keep a bottle of scotch in the file cabinet.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »
We are moving to a new office in September.

Besides the amazing change in my commute time (less than half what it is currently), the other benefit is completely new furniture, including standing desks. I can't wait to get a standing desk. I think it will have a huge impact on my posture and back/neck health.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »

Having suffered from similar issues and being familiar with office ergonomic standards, LAMUfan offers some good basic advice.  You can probably eliminate most of your physical issues by setting up the workstation properly, paying attention to proper posture, avoiding bending and reaching, and taking time regularly to get up and do some stretching.  Use a hands-free phone or headset and avoid holding the phone to your ear with your shoulder.  Here is a link to OSHA website with comprehensive guidance:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/index.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:01:17 PM by Sheriff »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »
We are moving to a new office in September.

Besides the amazing change in my commute time (less than half what it is currently), the other benefit is completely new furniture, including standing desks. I can't wait to get a standing desk. I think it will have a huge impact on my posture and back/neck health.

When I used to do a lot of work at the new Comiskey (aka US Cellular), I had a standing desk. Liked it a lot, and it did help alleviate back pain. Hope you have a similar experience.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
When I used to do a lot of work at the new Comiskey (aka US Cellular), I had a standing desk. Liked it a lot, and it did help alleviate back pain. Hope you have a similar experience.

My organization had standing desks for us to take turns trying out. I asked for my old desk back after two days  (the company record, apparently). My back pain is caused by scoliosis in my lower back which went undiagnosed until my thirties, exacerbated by a couple of pregnancies. Standing for long periods of time makes it worse.

Also, the nature of my job often requires the handling of several documents at the same time, either on paper or on multiple monitors.  Most stand-up desks aren't really designed for that.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
A BJ and a one hitter will do wonders.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 05:46:59 PM »
I got one of the adjustable desks, and like chick, sent it back.  I do better taking periodic walks than just standing in place...then sitting...then standing...

That said, others in my area use the adjustable desks and love them.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 09:39:26 PM »
We have three treadmill workstations and I love them. I had an option when we redid our offices to get a standing desk and didn't think I'd use it. But I do use the treadmill desk for about 90 minutes each day. It's a good break from sitting all day. I can log into my desktop on the system and its just like being at my desk. It takes a little while to get used to working on documents while walking, but I can now type as well on the treadmill as I can sitting at my desk. If you have an employer that is big on wellness initiatives, maybe this is an option. We started with one and it was so popular we got two more. We have 5-6 of us who use them daily.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
One thing you can do while you wait for your desk solution is to change up your workout routine.  I recently had to stop running due to an injury and the new workout routine has really helped all my aches and pains though i'm sure they will crop up in new places if i don't switch up again. 

FWIW - i switched to rowing machine and more weights. 

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
I got a Herman Miller Aeron chair a month or so ago. Defiantly pricey but worth every penny so far. You can pick up one on Craigs list between 350 - 450

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »
Agree on Herman Miller chairs.  I've had the Aeron for three years in my home office and love it.

feedback