collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: any golfers-U.S. open thread  (Read 7352 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: any golfers-U.S. open thread
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2016, 07:36:26 AM »
I am blessed to live in an area with primarily public courses, to have a schedule that allows me to play on weekdays during the day, to love to walk 18 carrying my bag, and a couple of golf retailers/pro shops that really go out of their way to give great deals.  I played 3 times during the week of June 5-9.    Walked 18 all three times.  3 different courses.   $17, $20, $20, and walked 18 in under 3 hours all three times.   Nearly had my 10,000 steps in by 11:30.

My jealousy of you knows no bounds
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Dustin Johnson is really striking it. He choked it away on the weekends before in majors but I think he gets it done this year.

Hats off to Dustin. Tough course, lots of stops and starts with the weather, a 4 stroke deficit going into Sunday and a ridiculous ruling by the USGA - and he overcame it all. His drive and approach shot on 18 were incredible. Now that the monkey is off his back I expect him to go on a big run.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2016, 08:48:30 AM »
Walked 18 in under 3 hours? By yourself?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
Its called golf, 'cuz all da utter 4 letter words are taken, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
For 90% of my life I was an extremely avid golfer, playing over a hundred rounds a year for many years. After having some health issues, getting older and game going to hell I lost my excitement big time. I now find myself missing playing a great deal but truthfully cannot justify the cost to play on regular basis. Quickly learned that not playing that my game went south which only added to my frustration.

I have come to the realization that the game is way, way to expensive to play the courses I want to play. In addition, the pace of play is crazy long and I find myself getting more and more pissed as the round progresses when I do play. A couple of weeks ago I took two of my boys to Brown Deer and the round took almost five hours. 

For me, as much as I love the game, I can live without far easier than I ever dreamt possible. Nothing worse than spending a couple hundred bucks and going home frustrated. They have to find a way to speed play and make it more affordable or they will lose more players like me.

Here, here.

I'm only 30 and play maybe 4 or 5 rounds a year. I enjoy it, and I still shoot ok (high 80s to low 90s), but nowhere near what I used to, which was consistently low 80s and high 70s when I was playing really well.

From about 8th grade to the age of 20, I played every single day from the beginning of April to the end of October. I ate, drank, slept, and breathed golf. I was fortunate enough to have parents who bought me a season pass at the local muni course and fortunate enough to play some amazing Wisconsin courses as part of the high school golf team (Brown Deer, University Ridge, Whispering Springs, Lawsonia, Tuscumbia, Trappers Turn, to name a few). At my best, which was probably my senior year of high school, I was an 8 handicap. During the summers while at MU I worked as a bartender at a public course, which allowed me to play for free before my shift started at noon. It was a beautiful arrangement.

However, even as I now make a good living, I cannot justify the expenses of playing golf more than a handful of times a year. I still use my clubs from high school, which are now close to 15 years old, although they are very good clubs...Taylor Made woods and irons and my trusty Odyssey putter, but it is just not a priority for me to invest in new clubs or play more than a few of the forest preserve courses once or twice a month. I have way too many other priorities. And I'm a little surprised how easily I've lived without playing the game as much. The factors you mentioned are part of it. Especially in Chicago, it is almost impossible to find a public course without ridiculous wait times on a decent summer day, it is not like rural Wisconsin where I grew up.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:15:23 AM by Coleman »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
i just read an article where the fox network(not fox news) who televised the us open, the camera man who followed, ummm,  dustin  to sign his card, is in trouble for showing paulina's butt too much...yeah right.  no complaints here gosh darner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3651928/Fox-Sports-cameraman-fire-lingering-shot-Paulina-Gretzky-s-fiance-s-triumph-Open.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »
Walked 18 in under 3 hours? By yourself?
Yes.  On a really good day, I can get around in 2:30.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
i just read an article where the fox network(not fox news) who televised the us open, the camera man who followed, ummm,  dustin  to sign his card, is in trouble for showing paulina's butt too much...yeah right.  no complaints here gosh darner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3651928/Fox-Sports-cameraman-fire-lingering-shot-Paulina-Gretzky-s-fiance-s-triumph-Open.html
I was watching that live, seeing her tug at her skirt, and chuckling.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »
Most outings with buddies I play golf to drink beer.

Was playing along side a corporate event that had what I assumed to be strippers riding along with.  I wasn't complaining.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »
About 20 years ago, some of my buddies were golfing (second hand story, I was not there).    Unbeknownst to them when they arrived, there was an event going involving strippers.   My buddies golfed, admired the strippers, interacted a little.    At the end, one of my buddies says 'Watch this.'    He went into the clubhouse and threw a fake tantrum about how offended he was to have strippers all over the course while he was trying to play a quiet round with his friends.     They gave everybody in the foursome their money back.   

In 2003, at a 3 day golf outing in Northern Michigan with about 100 of us, another friend, after 36 holes and nearly as many beers, decided to take his golf cart straight down the steep hill instead of using the serpentine cart path, rolled the cart, and lost his leg.   Naturally, a couple of months later, I challenged him to an ass-kicking contest.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:46:33 AM by tower912 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
Most outings with buddies I play golf to drink beer.

Was playing along side a corporate event that had what I assumed to be strippers riding along with.  I wasn't complaining.

i can't drink and drive :D      funny stories.  i was offended they showed dustin's bum too much.  if paulina was soooo concerned about the dress creapin up there, well ya'll know the fix.  she shoulda wore the yoga pants instead
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
Coleman

Funny that you mentioned your equipment. I got my first new set of irons two years ago as a birthday gift from my kids and the replaced a 15 year old set. The cost of equipment is more crazy than green fees.

I did want to comment on someone saying that green fees are not crazy high and he plays in reasonable length of time. I have to admit I am goof course snob and not willing to play lower level courses. From birth until 5 years ago I have the privilege of playing at a great country club in Milwaukee and it spoiled me. Any course I have an interest in playing, aside from Brown Deer, is a minimum of $125 per player.