collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: any golfers-U.S. open thread  (Read 7348 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
any golfers-U.S. open thread
« on: June 15, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »
this u.s. open is going to drive some of these guys to drinking.  oakmont-toughest course the u.s. open has been held on since 2006(winged foot.  both 2006 and 2007(oakmont) the winners finished at +5.  finishing any tournament in positive numbers is very very rare.  they've got oakmont in extra extra "kick your cat", "beat your kids" mode.  the stimpmeter is running at 13-15 where average for PGA courses is around 10 1/2. 

who is your favorite aside from mcilroy, day, spieth, d.johnson?  fowler has been really slumping. since tiger has dropped off the golfing map, there have been so many really decent golfers who are fun to watch.  i love patrick reed, berger, mcdowell, koepka and snedeker.  whoever-gonna have to control the emotions, have a really really short memory and well, play golf

anyone play the fantasy golf?  it's a blast,  i've got $30 invested on 12 teams of 6 guys with salary cap of $50k that gives me a chance to win, get this, $129,750,000.  ain't nothing wrong with dreamin heyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: any golfers-U.S. open thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
Props I like...

Watson +225 to miss cut
Mickelson +325 to miss cut

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »
MU alum Mike Van Sickle is competing this week.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/061316aaa.html

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
Props I like...

Watson +225 to miss cut
Mickelson +325 to miss cut

those are interesting.  mick is running out of time to win one of the most coveted golf awards.  he's a pretty crafty dude, especially around the green with a wedge.  bubba is one of the most creative.  this is a course that will take a veteran's mind and skills to survive.  a novice may get chewed up and spit out quickly

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
This rough is going to break someone's wrist

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGkXqYuoOOT/

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »
those are interesting.  mick is running out of time to win one of the most coveted golf awards.  he's a pretty crafty dude, especially around the green with a wedge.  bubba is one of the most creative.  this is a course that will take a veteran's mind and skills to survive.  a novice may get chewed up and spit out quickly

Loathe Bubba. What a d-bag

Only time I've ever liked Phil is when he stood up to Watson at the Ryder Cup during the press conference

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »
MU alum Mike Van Sickle is competing this week.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/061316aaa.html

that is very cool-thanks for bringing this up.  going to have to watch him a little.  i remember him being honored at halftime of a b-ball game.  the team won the big east in 08 and 15. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
Loathe Bubba. What a d-bag

Only time I've ever liked Phil is when he stood up to Watson at the Ryder Cup during the press conference

phil also took one on the chin financially having to pay a cool $$mil fine for some wink wink insider cough cough trading

there's a golf course up north-castle rock at northern bay in arkdale, wi that has 8 replica golf holes.  one of them is oakmonts #3 with the infamous church pew bunkers.  if you're a golfer, you must see this course.  they also have sawgrass tpc #17 island hole, among 6 more replicas.  great course!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »
Fowler hits enough fairways to have a chance, but his putter has to be good.

Kinda like Kuchar, Hideki, Smylie and Stenson as well.

Tough, tough course. Day and Rory will struggle immensely.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 10:19:54 PM »
Fowler to miss cut at +275 is another really good value. Rory as well at +600 to miss is great as well.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:26:02 PM »
Oakmont has one of the three toughest green complexes in the majors according to Johnny Miller. As such the winner will be someone who is a very strong mid to long iron player who can place the ball in optimal position on the green.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:39:47 AM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »
Oakmont has one of the three toughest US Open green complexes in golf according to Johnny Miller. As such the winner will be someone who is a very strong mid to long iron player who can place the ball in optimal position on the green.

I heard he shot 63 there once.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 04:54:39 AM »
i don't think rory is going to win it, but check out this 80 footer he made just messin around the other day at oakmont-and this is indicative of how these greens are rolling!!  what is this, concrete painted green?

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/watch-rory-mcilroy-sinks-outrageous-putt-at-oakmont/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 05:57:55 AM »
Huge Phil fan, bit he does not play well on this course.   Hitting fairways  is going to be the name of the game, as making par from the dough is going to be nearly impossible.  Jason Day hitting 3-woods off of the tee is a good bet.  Other than him, find a straight hitter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »
Go Van Sickle!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
the weather today is really going to fack things up.  how would ya like to play 36 on oakmont in one day and your livelihood depends on it.  emotionally it's got to be a real ass kicker

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »
the weather today is really going to fack things up.  how would ya like to play 36 on oakmont in one day and your livelihood depends on it.  emotionally it's got to be a real ass kicker

Eh...beats mining coal for a living.  I'm sure they'll survive.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »

Eh...beats mining coal for a living.  I'm sure they'll survive.

nice addition to the dialogue ?-(??   well, i guess it also beats working at a lot of other jobs.  i'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're not a golfer.  my point is, this is what these guys do for a living and they have no one else to lean on, unless they have sponsors. regardless, if they don't perform or make the cut, they don't get paid.  this is one of the toughest u.s. open courses there are.   

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 04:22:27 PM »
I see Zach Johnson is even after 11. He could be the kind of guy that could grind this out for 4 days.
            ---Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
    nice addition to the dialogue ?-(??   well, i guess it also beats working at a lot of other jobs.  i'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're not a golfer.  my point is, this is what these guys do for a living and they have no one else to lean on, unless they have sponsors. regardless, if they don't perform or make the cut, they don't get paid.  this is one of the toughest u.s. open courses there are.   

Yeah, but worrying about paying the bills really only applies to maybe 25% of the field, if that. The vast majority are PGA or Euro tour regulars. A missed cut at the US Open will have no effect.

Thanks to Tiger the money on the Tour is quite good. For example, Matt Jones is ranked 125th on the money list right now, and he's already made over $500,000 this season. Last year, 106 guys on tour made over $1 million.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 06:11:12 PM »
Yeah, but worrying about paying the bills really only applies to maybe 25% of the field, if that. The vast majority are PGA or Euro tour regulars. A missed cut at the US Open will have no effect.

Thanks to Tiger the money on the Tour is quite good. For example, Matt Jones is ranked 125th on the money list right now, and he's already made over $500,000 this season. Last year, 106 guys on tour made over $1 million.

Yep. They'll be able to pay the mortgage regardless.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 06:14:57 PM »

ok, then put me down for the 25% that aren't in the top 125 and need this for a boost to their careers.  maybe even the mike van sickles in the tournament or trying to make/keep their cards, get exemptions, whatever.  you are right about tiger giving golf a big boost

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 09:42:01 PM »

Matt Jones has very little to worry about...
https://bustedcoverage.com/2015/08/15/matt-jones-wife-melissa-weber-jones-photos/#!gallery-inline-embed-1765589-1765594-0
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 07:01:29 AM »
She's probably not even top 10 in hot golfer pieces.

Hotter sport WAGs in the US, hockey or golf?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."