[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: any golfers-U.S. open thread  (Read 7351 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: any golfers-U.S. open thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:03 AM »
Hope Jones doesn't get da yips wit his putter, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 08:04:55 AM »
Hotter sport WAGs in the US, hockey or golf?

Hockey draws talent from a much larger area, it probably wins.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
Hotter sport WAGs in the US, hockey or golf?

Europeon soccer?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »
Dustin Johnson is really striking it. He choked it away on the weekends before in majors but I think he gets it done this year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 04:00:15 PM »
Dustin Johnson is really striking it. He choked it away on the weekends before in majors but I think he gets it done this year.

He choked at the Memorial two weeks ago too. Dustin needs to get serious and get a real caddie.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
Feels disjointed due to yesterday's weather.  Weird to see shots land softly at Oakmont.  DJ is a greens hitting machine right now.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
He choked at the Memorial two weeks ago too. Dustin needs to get serious and get a real caddie.

no disrespect-who's his caddie and how is he hurting him?  i haven't heard anything either way
don't...don't don't don't don't

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »
no disrespect-who's his caddie and how is he hurting him?  i haven't heard anything either way

His brother. The thought is that DJ could another set of eyes on the greens and an experienced guy could help.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »
His brother. The thought is that DJ could another set of eyes on the greens and an experienced guy could help.

thank you!  that's the first time i've heard that.  anyone know what his bro's golf background is?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
thank you!  that's the first time i've heard that.  anyone know what his bro's golf background is?

High school golf. Played basketball in college, Charleston I believe.

In addition to what RJax said, he's believed to be an overall bad influence (see drug tests), often encourages Dustin to be overly aggressive and cannot help his mental game.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2016, 06:32:36 AM »
High school golf. Played basketball in college, Charleston I believe.

In addition to what RJax said, he's believed to be an overall bad influence (see drug tests), often encourages Dustin to be overly aggressive and cannot help his mental game.

well, if he's a bad influence(drinking buddy past or present) obviously not a real smart decicion to have around as we know(very little) but we do know that dustin has had some issues with both contraband and relationships.  hopefully wayne gave him a couple of slap sticks upside the head and should carry his bag for a little "guidance". i think the dustinator is still with his daughter...if he isn't, then he may be more foolish than i thought, unless paulina is the bad influence.

just saw him interviewed, he looks healthy and well put together.  in other words, he doesn't sound like jeff spicoli as much

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Fowler to miss cut at +275 is another really good value. Rory as well at +600 to miss is great as well.

Wish I would have put some cash down on these. Mickelson (+325) missed as well.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 06:15:34 AM »
Fowler to miss cut at +275 is another really good value. Rory as well at +600 to miss is great as well.

add to that justin rose, matsuyama, j.b holmes, patrick reed, brent snedeker, jimmy walker, webb simpson, retief goosen...a lot of money laying out there. 

check out this video-d.j. hits a dude getting a dog, but i'm not sure if i heard the 2nd announcer right, but it sounds like he says either in the head or he's dead?  i'm sure if he killed a guy yesterday, we'd be hearing a little more, but this one may have cost dusty a little more than another tube steak and a signed golf glove-heyn'a?

https://fansided.com/2016/06/18/dustin-johnson-hits-guy-buying-a-hot-dog-with-golf-ball-photo/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »
add to that justin rose, matsuyama, j.b holmes, patrick reed, brent snedeker, jimmy walker, webb simpson, retief goosen...a lot of money laying out there. 

check out this video-d.j. hits a dude getting a dog, but i'm not sure if i heard the 2nd announcer right, but it sounds like he says either in the head or he's dead?  i'm sure if he killed a guy yesterday, we'd be hearing a little more, but this one may have cost dusty a little more than another tube steak and a signed golf glove-heyn'a?

https://fansided.com/2016/06/18/dustin-johnson-hits-guy-buying-a-hot-dog-with-golf-ball-photo/

Reading the link.... why would a guy be buying a hot dog with a golf ball?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brandx

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »
Best line of the week by announcers?

"They love kooch here in Pittsburgh". (This was after Kuchar sank a 40 footer.)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
Kinda like lovin' puss here, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »

speakin of which, nice trophy fer the winna, ayn'AAAA AAhhh yessssss!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »

They are gonna do so much coke tonight.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
They are gonna do so much cokeacola tonight.  unless they are pee testing tomorrow, 'eyna?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 08:02:37 PM »
Neither a DJ fan nor a DJ hater. I gotta say, though, that I was happy for him to make some clutch shots after the USGA tried to screw him royally today.

Good to see him come off the "best to never win a major" list.

Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia ... another choke job for each.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »
Neither a DJ fan nor a DJ hater. I gotta say, though, that I was happy for him to make some clutch shots after the USGA tried to screw him royally today.

Westwood obviously choked. Sergio did not.  He made several key puts, birdied from 25 yards out of a bunker and key par saves . I think the wheels came off the wagon when he pushed to hard on the accelerator on 14,15 and 16 .

Also nice outfit from Paulina.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2016, 08:13:21 PM »
Any time you see the winner's WAG having to keep tugging at her skirt to keep it from sliding too far up, it is a good day.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »
Westwood obviously choked. Sergio did not.  He made several key puts, birdied from 25 yards out of a bunker and key par saves . I think the wheels came off the wagon when he pushed to hard on the accelerator on 14,15 and 16 .

Well, I guess it depends upon how one defines "choke." Sergio had several make-able putts down the stretch and missed 'em all. Had some loose shots, too. In other words, as soon as it got down to nut-cuttin' time -- as soon as he actually had a chance to legitimately contend -- the "wheels came off the wagon."

I define that as choking. It's fine if you don't. The world is filled with opinions!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »

if he is turning his life around, i'm becoming a real fan. he is absolutely torching the ball and chit you can hang your clothes on!  after getting shafted at whistling in 2010, the 3 putt blunder last year, and then maybe we'll think about it and tell ya later depending on how much of a lead you have...that was complete bull plop(hole 5 penalty) and i'm so glad it didn't have a bearing on the outcome.

as for the penalty-
  if johnson touched the ball, why did it fall backward?
  if he would have touched the ball, he would have called it himself-that's how golfers roll
  if the PGA wants to reach out and capture more fans and participation, it's rulings like this that will give people the perception that golf is too stuffy and too complicated

i had an incident saturday where i chipped up, past the hole by about 2 feet on an up-slope. i marked my ball.  when my turn came to putt, i placed my ball on the green and before i could remove my marker,  the ball would start rolling toward the hole.  this happened like 5-6 times.  now that i could see the line, thank you, i finally got my ball to stay long enough to putt it. what was i supposed to do, pound it into the green?  one of my golf partners told me that if the ball had moved after i removed my mark while i was addressing it, it would have been a penalty?  what if i hadn't even grounded my club?  i need to talk to the golf pro about this one

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »
Well, I guess it depends upon how one defines "choke." Sergio had several make-able putts down the stretch and missed 'em all. Had some loose shots, too. In other words, as soon as it got down to nut-cuttin' time -- as soon as he actually had a chance to legitimately contend -- the "wheels came off the wagon."

I define that as choking. It's fine if you don't. The world is filled with opinions!
Those Oakmont greens were very difficult and the putts he missed were always close, it wasn't like he was missing 3 footers, they were 15-20 footers. He had a great recovery from the loose shot on 9 and made par on a very tough hole. The announcers said one of his  birdies was one of the toughest in the tournament. I think the distinction I am making is when the wheels came off the wagon, he was actually trying to  contend and win it, a small miss of a few feet here and there on those greens puts you in a crappy position to make par. When you watched the shot tracker you could see the lines he was taking were aggressive.  At the end of the day the guy shot a 70 for the final round of a US Open which I just don't call choking. He played well, but  didn't play well enough to win, that is what I think happened. I think what happens with Garcia is in these majors sometimes you only need to play for par and avoid mistakes and that just does not seem to be in his constitution. It may be that because he is a weak putter he feels he must rely on his strong irons to get him close. Net result is the same he is not getting the job done but this event I did not put in the choke category for him.

Shane Lowrey shot a 76 going into the final round with a -7 and decent leader. That was a very clear choker if there was someone you wanted to label as a choker.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire