[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boston Market Expanding Overseas  (Read 8459 times)

Benny B

• All American
Boston Market Expanding Overseas
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/morning_call/2016/06/colorado-restaurant-chain-says-its-expanding-big.html

Though not a whole lot, I think I've seen more Boston Markets close in the past few years than I've seen open in the U.S.  With supermarkets (Marianos, especially) expanding their "hot bar" offerings at much lower prices, I figured Boston Market's days were numbered around here, but evidently, there's a market overseas.  Good for them, but holy cow, I don't care if it's rotisserie or fried chicken, but does anyone else remember when you could get enough chicken and sides for two meals for under $15?  Try to get a family-sized box/bucket with a couple sides and biscuits at Popeye's or KFC and it runs upwards of $30.  When did chicken get so expensive.

Aside: Is it just me, or does anyone else see the (Canadian) irony in putting more "Boston Market" stores in the Middle East?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skitch

• All American
Re: Boston Market Expanding Overseas
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
Got Culver's 8 piece chicken last week and it came with a pint of (really good) cole slaw, a large box of onion rings and 4 dinner rolls for  like $18.50 and that was with a $1 up charge for the onion rings instead of fries or mashed. Really tasty.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:56:07 AM »
I'm probably far from the healthiest cat on Scoop but if I ate fried chicken from any of the above mentioned fast food places there would be serious gastro-intestinal ramifications. 

Cheap chicken should not be a good thing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
Y'all utter tink 'bout goin' grain free, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
Y'all utter tink 'bout goin' grain free, hey?

Not if it's going to make me talk like that.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
This is a joke, right?  Hope they don't try Italy, it would further ruin their low opinion of us.  Just more of the race to the bottom. 

Is there a real restaurant left in Milwaukee?  Is everything boilable bags and microwaves?  Karl Ratzsch and the Phister may be all that is left??? 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
This is a joke, right?  Hope they don't try Italy, it would further ruin their low opinion of us.  Just more of the race to the bottom. 

Is there a real restaurant left in Milwaukee?  Is everything boilable bags and microwaves?  Karl Ratzsch and the Phister may be all that is left???

Actually, Milwaukee had become quite the foodie town.

You should visit it sometime.

There have been a number of articles recently where out-of-state travel and food reviewers are pleasantly surprised about how great the restaurant scene is in Milwaukee.

Here is one of them:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/June-2012/Midwest-Foodie-Destinations-Milwaukee/
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »

What the hell does Boston Market have to do with the restaurants in MKE?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 12:39:32 PM »
My in-laws from Indiana hate going to Milwaukee because "there's always a wait at Red Lobster and there's nowhere else to eat." 

Like 95% of Indiana natives, they won't eat anywhere that doesn't have 12 locations.  You want to make fun of food culture, start with Indianapolis.  Certainly I would within the US today, but Milwaukee isn't that far off from being put up against just about any city of its size in the world when it comes to gastronomy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »

if you haven't been to milwaukee in a while, you should refrain from commenting, good or bad because it makes you look foolish...wait... never mind.

milwaukee has many really really good restaurants.  starting with sanford and the ballistreri's group.  then there are many others and don't forget about conejitoes
don't...don't don't don't don't

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
Actually, Milwaukee had become quite the foodie town.

You should visit it sometime.

There have been a number of articles recently where out-of-state travel and food reviewers are pleasantly surprised about how great the restaurant scene is in Milwaukee.

Here is one of them:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/June-2012/Midwest-Foodie-Destinations-Milwaukee/

Oh Boy,

First, I was in Milwaukee for my 50th reunion last year.

Second, Boston Market is typical American cuisine, nothing more than boilable bags and microwaves.  Milwaukee is typical American cuisine, that is what Boston Market has to do with Milwaukee.

Finally, Milwaukee back in the 60's had lots of world class restaurants with international cuisine.  They had chefs and not microwave operators, they had ingredients  flown in from around the world, German, French, and even real Italian food.  I was ashamed to show my wife around town were there were lots of sports bars, river tables, and run down restaurants.  The suburbs might be better but I don't think so.  There may be real chefs at the country clubs, but all I saw were food warmers.  Not to mention tables without tablecloths or clean utensils.   Even Real Chili was the pits; after all my bragging about Real Chili over the years, I was embarrassed.

Oh well, I suppose globalization goes both ways, we export Boston Markets and import Prosecco.

What happened to real Polish food like Alexander's on the south side, or wild bore at Frenchie's?     

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
Oh Boy,

Second, Boston Market is typical American cuisine, nothing more than boilable bags and microwaves.  Milwaukee is typical American cuisine, that is what Boston Market has to do with Milwaukee.

Finally, Milwaukee back in the 60's had lots of world class restaurants with international cuisine.  They had chefs and not microwave operators, they had ingredients  flown in from around the world, German, French, and even real Italian food.  I was ashamed to show my wife around town were there were lots of sports bars, river tables, and run down restaurants.  The suburbs might be better but I don't think so.  There may be real chefs at the country clubs, but all I saw were food warmers.  Not to mention tables without tablecloths or clean utensils.   Even Real Chili was the pits; after all my bragging about Real Chili over the years, I was embarrassed.

Oh well, I suppose globalization goes both ways, we export Boston Markets and import Prosecco.

What happened to real Polish food like Alexander's on the south side, or wild bore at Frenchie's?     

speaking of wild bores....  ;)

Where exactly did you eat in Milwaukee besides Real Chili?
Have some patience, FFS.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
Oh Boy,

it took me 3 minutes on zomato to find 15 restaurants that i would call gourmet and i've not been to Milwaukee in 10 years.  You need to find a different lens to look through....you'd be amazed at what's out there.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
Oh Boy,

I spent this past weekend in Milwaukee for downtown dining week and it was wonderful as always.

I go up 3 times a year with my wife to explore the restaurant scene. Quite frankly, I find it just as interesting, more accessible and just as delicious as what Chicago has going on.

Boston Market is awful. Haven't been in years, because it was so awful. Truth be told, I think Real Chili is dog food as well.

But this thread had nothing to do with Milwaukee when it was started other than Boston Market has locations there, just like they do in every other city

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
My in-laws from Indiana hate going to Milwaukee because "there's always a wait at Red Lobster and there's nowhere else to eat." 

Like 95% of Indiana natives, they won't eat anywhere that doesn't have 12 locations.  You want to make fun of food culture, start with Indianapolis.  Certainly I would within the US today, but Milwaukee isn't that far off from being put up against just about any city of its size in the world when it comes to gastronomy.

I was in Downtown Indy a few years ago and it felt like every single restaurant was a chain. Went hunting for a local joint and there was nothing (other than bars).

Had brunch at a nice spot in the Broad Ripple neighborhood that weekend, but I got the feeling that neighborhood would get old after about 3 weeks.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
Oh Boy,

You complain about globalization in a post where you dismiss a number of locally-sourced restaurants (including the James Beard-winning Sanford -- thanks, rocket) as "boiler bags and microwaves" while longing for the glory days of a menu that featured hippo and tiger meat.  Amusing, as always.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 04:39:55 PM »
You complain about globalization in a post where you dismiss a number of locally-sourced restaurants (including the James Beard-winning Sanford -- thanks, rocket) as "boiler bags and microwaves" while longing for the glory days of a menu that featured hippo and tiger meat.  Amusing, as always.
Serious?

If 'yes' i'm equal parts amazed, appalled, and fascinated (strictly about the procurement process on the latter)

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 06:31:53 PM »

speaking of wild bores....  ;)

Where exactly did you eat in Milwaukee besides Real Chili?

Very good, back in the day the wild "boar" was imported from Texas and raised on farms/ranches.

I'll check out Sanford on my next visit.

naginiF recommended Zomato, I'll check that out as well, thanks naginiF.

While our eating out was less than expected the town was a big hit especially the art museum, lakefront, airport, and the flowers in the pots downtown.  The campus is a work of art, being that I come from the 60's.   I stood at my bar in the Vogue across from the library and next to my stool at the original Real Chili, brought back many wonderful memories.  Even the Ardmore is all changed, they even moved the head and expanded the place.  My trip was among other things a reality check.

Over the years I have been everywhere, Buffalo, Wichita, Reno, Atlanta, Dallas, Johnstown, Birmingham, St. Louis, Tullahoma, Albany Ga., etc. and was not surprised to see that Milwaukee has changed.  However, it is still clean, friendly, and welcoming, still lots of gemutlich.  Karl Ratchies was what I expected and happy that it was still in business.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »
there was a restaurant years ago(1970's-80's) on the east side that served lion meat, hippo and that exotic wild game or whatever-i think it was called "frenchy's"

http://restauranttimetunnel.blogspot.com/2008/07/frenchys-restaurant-milwaukee.html

Anonymous said...
I just found, in an old box of memories, a complete menu from Frenchy's dating from 1958 or 1959! Brings back memories of fine dining. African Hippopotamus @$8.75or Deep South Raccon @6.25 or a Filet Mignon Louis XV @$6.75 among a zillion other entrees!

back to our international "most interesting man in the world"  did ya'll know that when vogue goes out for fine dining, the waiter tips him?  he never says anything tastes like chicken...not even chicken.  i think the vogue man has sipped a little too much balsamic, hein'a?

btw, i didn't even know boston market was still around.  if i were boston, i'd sue them :D

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 06:42:38 PM »
.  Karl Ratchies was what I expected and happy that it was still in business.
Karl Ratchies bas since been sold,  menu was updated and interiors completely gone over for the 1st time in generations
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:31:03 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 07:00:44 PM »
there was a restaurant years ago(1970's-80's) on the east side that served lion meat, hippo and that exotic wild game or whatever-i think it was called "frenchy's"

http://restauranttimetunnel.blogspot.com/2008/07/frenchys-restaurant-milwaukee.html

Anonymous said...
I just found, in an old box of memories, a complete menu from Frenchy's dating from 1958 or 1959! Brings back memories of fine dining. African Hippopotamus @$8.75or Deep South Raccon @6.25 or a Filet Mignon Louis XV @$6.75 among a zillion other entrees!

back to our international "most interesting man in the world"  did ya'll know that when vogue goes out for fine dining, the waiter tips him?  he never says anything tastes like chicken...not even chicken.  i think the vogue man has sipped a little too much balsamic, hein'a?

btw, i didn't even know boston market was still around.  if i were boston, i'd sue them :D

Didn't The Natatorium serve weird meat like that? And you also got to watch a dolphin show while you ate.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »
Didn't The Natatorium serve weird meat like that? And you also got to watch a dolphin show while you ate.

i tended bar at the public natatorium for a few years while going to school.  it was owned by jj garlic who also had the place next to hegarty's on the first floor of the catholic knights building.  the menu was pretty much american classic steak and sea food,  i think the weirdest thing he served was sweetbreads-brutal!!  i also got to swim with the fish-was pretty cool!

oh, sweetbreads is a huge euphemism for the thymus or pancreas, but i also thought thyroid gland-sorry if i ruined some dinners

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »

Anonymous said...

Across the street from the Schroeder Hotel, today it is the downtown Hilton, there was the original Frenchies, it was next door to a strip joint.  With the smell of the stock yards and breweries Milwaukee had an industrial heart which has mostly been exported.   Not a political statement, just a little history.     

Those were the days, we even had electric busses down by Schusters where the busses turn the corner around.  Understand if you don't understand a little Polish-English translation.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »

Umm....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 10:28:33 PM »
Very good, back in the day the wild "boar" was imported from Texas and raised on farms/ranches.

I'll check out Sanford on my next visit.

naginiF recommended Zomato, I'll check that out as well, thanks naginiF.

While our eating out was less than expected the town was a big hit especially the art museum, lakefront, airport, and the flowers in the pots downtown.  The campus is a work of art, being that I come from the 60's.   I stood at my bar in the Vogue across from the library and next to my stool at the original Real Chili, brought back many wonderful memories.  Even the Ardmore is all changed, they even moved the head and expanded the place.  My trip was among other things a reality check.

Over the years I have been everywhere, Buffalo, Wichita, Reno, Atlanta, Dallas, Johnstown, Birmingham, St. Louis, Tullahoma, Albany Ga., etc. and was not surprised to see that Milwaukee has changed.  However, it is still clean, friendly, and welcoming, still lots of gemutlich.  Karl Ratchies was what I expected and happy that it was still in business.

New on the scene in Milwaukee.  Some of the best damned. Salsa on the planet.  And, it's grain free!