[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I miss Midwest Express Airlines  (Read 15258 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: I miss Midwest Express Airlines
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »
I fly a lot, and there are some airlines I actually used to get semi excited, or at least not bummed out about taking.  Midwest was one of them.  Hot towels, cookies, wine, lobster bisque, wide seats, decent looking stewardesses (I don't use the FA terminology). 

Flew United this week which I haven't flown in some time.  Wow has that airline fallen down.  Frontier I have to literally be on my last gasp, same for Spirit.  SWA, I've never had a problem with because it's just always been that way for 30 years....so my expectation bias is different.

Jet Blue in 2 weeks.  Virgin in 3.  Then back to my old standard, American...only because I have more points than I can count, but not a great service either.

I'm a United guy, living in Chicago. Once upon a time, United and the legacy carriers were great airlines with comfortable seats, even in coach. The food was marginally edible in coach and somewhat attractive in first class.

I travel up front most of the time and in some ways it's worse that coach 40 years ago. The seats are nicer but the food is horrible and the wines selected for domestic consumption, I swear, is the same stuff we used to drink on the back side of Nine Mile Hill in Nashville in 1973. It's awful. A step down from Ripple or Mad Dog 20/20.

What happened to Midwest as well as the legacy carriers is simple. The public would sell their own mothers for a low airfare. The public has been conditioned to accept crappy service in return for low fares. That's the only way Southwest, Spirit, Frontier, ATA, AirTran, Peoples Express etc., could exist. United, Delta and American tried (remember "more room in Coach" on American) and realized they could make more money jamming people into an aircraft cabin like sardines. So, if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
What surprises me is the number of people I have met who trash SWA and upon further questioning, I discover that they have never actually flown on it.  For all intents and purposes, they were basing their opinion on Jay Leno jokes. 

I've flown SWA plenty and still find it annoying.  The little jokes and 'playfulness' of their employees are not enjoyable for me. I realize a lot of people are into that. I'm not. STFU unless you're axing me for my beverage selection.

I will give them credit for the refund/change flight deal. A few weeks ago I utilized it to make a late change (early morning of 3pm flight, moved it to a 830am flight).

vs. Spirit: (a) SWA's seats seem to have just a bit more leg room. Still uncomfortable as sin, but probably more leg room; (b) if you have more than a backpack, pricing can become an issue with Spirit.

Generally, I'll take Spirit (paying extra to select seat in advance) over SWA if I'm travelling light. I simply get annoyed with the happy-face crap SWA does. Even their ticker symbol is upsetting.

----------
Years ago travelling on bidness on Midwest Express... I think it was a Sunday night.. they were really letting the wine flow.. my seatmate was a lady in her 50's.. and after about 6 glasses of wine was getting very talkative to everyone around us... standing up, holding court with the plane.. eventually as we were starting our descent, she grabbed the big phone out of the chair in front of us (they had big ass phones in the headrest you could use, IIRC).. and called the person who was picking her up from the airport... she was SCREAMING... "I can barely hear you!! Hey! I'm almost there!! Why can't I HEAR YOU?!?!?!?"...

Then another passenger pointed out to her that she was holding the phone the wrong way.. had the speaker not to her ear, but to the outside... we all laughed and took another swig of wine.

Anyway, this afternoon I'm off to a rap concert with 35,000 people. It'll make flying SWA seem like floating in heaven.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »

What happened to Midwest as well as the legacy carriers is simple. The public would sell their own mothers for a low airfare. The public has been conditioned to accept crappy service in return for low fares. That's the only way Southwest, Spirit, Frontier, ATA, AirTran, Peoples Express etc., could exist. United, Delta and American tried (remember "more room in Coach" on American) and realized they could make more money jamming people into an aircraft cabin like sardines. So, if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

I am 100% in agreement with this.  Bummer, but the market has spoken.  Race to the bottom.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »
Good conversation, I enjoy hearing all of your opinions. I travel a lot for work, all on United since I live in Chicago and they can get me anywhere direct. I have no love for United, even with the occasional first class upgrade, I fly them purely out of necessity.

I know it's starting to gain momentum, and it's much more difficult than Uber/Airbnb, but it'll be interesting to see if these little start ups flying 6-8 passengers out of small regional airports will become more popular. I know there's some LA-San Fran flights that have gained popularity (no TSA, show up and take off, leg room, food/drink options).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 11:03:44 AM »
You are completely misinformed.  Every SWA flight has beverage service with long flights getting fairly significant snacks.  Carry-on luggage is also free, as are 2 checked bags.  And I always get my choice of window/aisle, just not until I walk on the plane.  Just because it's not for you.......

To be fair, I was talking about Spirit, not SWA.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
To be fair, I was talking about Spirit, not SWA.

Yep. Figured that out later.  All good.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
I've flown SWA plenty and still find it annoying.  The little jokes and 'playfulness' of their employees are not enjoyable for me. I realize a lot of people are into that. I'm not. STFU unless you're axing me for my beverage selection.

I will give them credit for the refund/change flight deal. A few weeks ago I utilized it to make a late change (early morning of 3pm flight, moved it to a 830am flight).

vs. Spirit: (a) SWA's seats seem to have just a bit more leg room. Still uncomfortable as sin, but probably more leg room; (b) if you have more than a backpack, pricing can become an issue with Spirit.

Generally, I'll take Spirit (paying extra to select seat in advance) over SWA if I'm travelling light. I simply get annoyed with the happy-face crap SWA does. Even their ticker symbol is upsetting.

----------
Years ago travelling on bidness on Midwest Express... I think it was a Sunday night.. they were really letting the wine flow.. my seatmate was a lady in her 50's.. and after about 6 glasses of wine was getting very talkative to everyone around us... standing up, holding court with the plane.. eventually as we were starting our descent, she grabbed the big phone out of the chair in front of us (they had big ass phones in the headrest you could use, IIRC).. and called the person who was picking her up from the airport... she was SCREAMING... "I can barely hear you!! Hey! I'm almost there!! Why can't I HEAR YOU?!?!?!?"...

Then another passenger pointed out to her that she was holding the phone the wrong way.. had the speaker not to her ear, but to the outside... we all laughed and took another swig of wine.

Anyway, this afternoon I'm off to a rap concert with 35,000 people. It'll make flying SWA seem like floating in heaven.

I find it somewhat annoying too but let it roll off my back.  Kind of similar to my feelings about all those folks heading to LAS who fly 'once in never' and have no clue what they're doing.  I must say that I do get annoyed by the folks who think they can bring every worldly possession on as a carry-on.  Frankly, I think that's far worse on the legacies where check bags are charged.

Not sure you are aware that about 2-3 years ago SWA tried to sell us a bill of goods about their 'new' seats.  They lightened the load and enabled SWA to add one row without compromising legroom.  But the reality is these new seats suck and after spending many millions, they are quietly dumping them for a more comfortable replacement.  Live and learn.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2016, 11:46:54 AM »
What surprises me is the number of people I have met who trash SWA and upon further questioning, I discover that they have never actually flown on it.  For all intents and purposes, they were basing their opinion on Jay Leno jokes.

I have never watched Jay Leno, but I have flown Southwest multiple times.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
i fly swa A LOT.  mke to las like clockwork. never had a problem.  they are (for me) always on time or early. i don't need to check any bags as all my stuff is already in havasu.  if i stay in vegas for a few days on my way down to havasu, i'm a simple guy like marty.  if there were any issues, they are over-ridden by the ease with which to make changes.  most times my flights are $170's to 225? one way-right glow?  depending on when and how far ahead you book

on the other hand, i've probably flown american like 5 times-NEVER without an incident, including getting to my son's destination wedding in dominican a day LATE and having a flight from vegas cancelled altogether(blue flu) now that airline really sucks.  got to las at 7;30 am arrived in mke at midnight via atlanta and ord.  was supposed to be home at noon
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
plus swa has free wifi!  i have watched MU games, golf, etc on my ipad

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »
Good conversation, I enjoy hearing all of your opinions. I travel a lot for work, all on United since I live in Chicago and they can get me anywhere direct. I have no love for United, even with the occasional first class upgrade, I fly them purely out of necessity.

I know it's starting to gain momentum, and it's much more difficult than Uber/Airbnb, but it'll be interesting to see if these little start ups flying 6-8 passengers out of small regional airports will become more popular. I know there's some LA-San Fran flights that have gained popularity (no TSA, show up and take off, leg room, food/drink options).

I looked into one of the regionals the other day, as I have to get to Vegas in a few weeks.  Problem was the cost was insane...I mean crazy insane difference. If it was semi-reasonable, I would consider it, but not $1500 difference, for a one hour flight.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2016, 11:57:05 AM »
I find it somewhat annoying too but let it roll off my back.  Kind of similar to my feelings about all those folks heading to LAS who fly 'once in never' and have no clue what they're doing.  I must say that I do get annoyed by the folks who think they can bring every worldly possession on as a carry-on.  Frankly, I think that's far worse on the legacies where check bags are charged.

+35    Flew back from Cleveland to Denver the other day and these two clowns in front of me....I thought there was going to be a mutiny on the plane with their stuff.  Jeebbus Christmas.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
I am 100% in agreement with this.  Bummer, but the market has spoken.  Race to the bottom.

yes, BUT...people absolutely went ape-sheet when they started dropping meals.  it was kinda amusing to me.  first of all, the only airline that had decent food was midwest-all the others were like mccormick on a good day.  and the last thing i want to do on a flight across the country is drop a deuce during turbulence and after some fat guy just exited the can doing the same after his 2 double steak n bean burritos.  not my idea of the mile high thing

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »
i fly swa A LOT.  mke to las like clockwork. never had a problem.  they are (for me) always on time or early. i don't need to check any bags as all my stuff is already in havasu.  if i stay in vegas for a few days on my way down to havasu, i'm a simple guy like marty.  if there were any issues, they are over-ridden by the ease with which to make changes.  most times my flights are $170's to 225? one way-right glow?  depending on when and how far ahead you book

on the other hand, i've probably flown american like 5 times-NEVER without an incident, including getting to my son's destination wedding in dominican a day LATE and having a flight from vegas cancelled altogether(blue flu) now that airline really sucks.  got to las at 7;30 am arrived in mke at midnight via atlanta and ord.  was supposed to be home at noon

MKE different animal than MDW.  With some reasonable flexibility we try to shoot for $99 each way.  If I see a sale, I'll literally jump on tickets (bank them) in hopes we can go.  Do recall that we own a home out there so we have significant flexibility.  We just booked that June trip because we got some darn good Friday night flights.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2016, 01:37:20 PM »
You don't really have to time your login to get your boarding number.  Buy the Early Bird Check In.  It does it for you.  $15 per ticket.

Do you still have to wait in line to get a good seat? I usually travel with a small travel bag to squeeze under the seat so I've never been in a hurry to get on a plane. And 15 per ticket seems a little excessive. That's sixty bucks rt for a couple. I don't love my wife enough to have to sit next to her on a plane when I'm just reading or watching something on a tablet.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »
One thing I have noticed is that when you talk price with swa guys, they are always talking about 1-way. Always confuses me when they say a price and I can't believe how cheap the flight to (insert city) is compared to what I was looking at for other airlines. I got to the site and realize they meant one way.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2016, 02:12:34 PM »
Lies!!

sorry, not wifi, but hook up to a number of tv channels, movies and music and coolest of all, the flightware.  tells you how fast how far and where you are on a map

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
One thing I have noticed is that when you talk price with swa guys, they are always talking about 1-way. Always confuses me when they say a price and I can't believe how cheap the flight to (insert city) is compared to what I was looking at for other airlines. I got to the site and realize they meant one way.

That should not confuse you more than once.

I think it is a much simpler way to book. You pick any flight you want going each way instead of wading through the dozens of flight combos that you would have to go through if you are booking on another airline.
Have some patience, FFS.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2016, 02:16:05 PM »
sorry, not wifi, but hook up to a number of tv channels, movies and music and coolest of all, the flightware.  tells you how fast how far and where you are on a map

I'm surprised more airlines don't have ipads on the plane. I'm cheap as hell but will throw down five bucks for a movie and more likely to get a drink while flipping through. For a small up front investment, I'm sure those things will pay for themselves within months.

I agree that the flight watch is fascinating, especially on international trips.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »
That should not confuse you more than once.

I think it is a much simpler way to book. You pick any flight you want going each way instead of wading through the dozens of flight combos that you would have to go through if you are booking on another airline.

I book on google flights. It's will give me the cheapest rt based on times I select. Well everyone besides southwest.

And I don't know how it makes sense. I asked the buddy what his flight to Vegas was and he says $xx. Well the flight there was one amount and the flight back is a different price. I don't understand why a one way flight is less confusing when you only care about the total cost.

And it confuses me more than once cause anyone I ask that doesn't fly swa seem to think in rt and it throws me off everytime the swa guy said how much he paid.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:20:58 PM by martyconlonontherun »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »

----------

Did ya get any too, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2016, 02:20:44 PM »
Do you still have to wait in line to get a good seat? I usually travel with a small travel bag to squeeze under the seat so I've never been in a hurry to get on a plane. And 15 per ticket seems a little excessive. That's sixty bucks rt for a couple. I don't love my wife enough to have to sit next to her on a plane when I'm just reading or watching something on a tablet.

early bird is $12.50 per ticket.  then you don't have to log in/check-in at the 24 hour bell.  your number is pre-registered when you book the flight.  your seat is automatically given to you in the order you bought your ticket.  i get this all the time.  if i don't like my A number, i will ask them how many of the #'s 1-15 have been sold(extra $40)  for longer flights, i jump on this if i can get under #5 so i am guaranteed the emergency exit seat  without the seat in front of you

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2016, 02:44:56 PM »
I have flown 9 out of 13 in last year, and I would agree with this order.  JetBlue wasn't one that I have flown, but friends and family swear by it.

"This is the worst complaints have been for 15 years, as a rate. The last time it got this high was in 2001..."

Overall airline ranking, with 2014 rankings in parentheses
1. Virgin America (1)
2. JetBlue (4)
3. Delta (3)
4. Hawaiian (2)
5. Alaska (5)
6. Southwest (6)
7. SkyWest (10)
8. United (9)
9. ExpressJet (11)
10. American (7)
11. Frontier (8)
12. Envoy Air (12)
13. Spirit (new to rating in 2015)
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/04/aviation/airline-quality-rating-united-states-carriers/

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2016, 03:27:26 PM »
early bird is $12.50 per ticket.  then you don't have to log in/check-in at the 24 hour bell.  your number is pre-registered when you book the flight.  your seat is automatically given to you in the order you bought your ticket.  i get this all the time.  if i don't like my A number, i will ask them how many of the #'s 1-15 have been sold(extra $40)  for longer flights, i jump on this if i can get under #5 so i am guaranteed the emergency exit seat  without the seat in front of you

EB now up ta $15.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback