[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I miss Midwest Express Airlines  (Read 15259 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: I miss Midwest Express Airlines
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »
So, children and F*ckin' bother you, hey?

One in the same, a''inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
Glow and i have been on dozens of SWA flights and have never been forced to sit apart.  If you are in A or B, it isn't a problem.  And we have saved thousands of dollars in the process.

We find legacy airlines to have old planes and surly flight attendants.  And we hate getting nickel and dimed for everything.

Last flight we took from New Orleans we were in B and had to sit apart. Walking down the plane, literally every side had one person in the window, one on the aisle. As we got to the back of the plane, some single kid took the last aisle seat so my wife and I had to sit a few aisles apart. Of course, it was a full flight so none of the people ended up with a vacant seat next to them.

I don't like the scramble trying to check in, or how you get screwed on selection if you have something going on at the time you're supposed to check in. Glow is right that it's not for me, but that's why I said what I said. I don't like the airline and generally haven't enjoyed all the extra hassles flying with them in the past. I'm willing to pay a little extra for better treatment and not having to rush and fight for a seat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 07:57:59 PM »
Last flight we took from New Orleans we were in B and had to sit apart. Walking down the plane, literally every side had one person in the window, one on the aisle. As we got to the back of the plane, some single kid took the last aisle seat so my wife and I had to sit a few aisles apart. Of course, it was a full flight so none of the people ended up with a vacant seat next to them.

I don't like the scramble trying to check in, or how you get screwed on selection if you have something going on at the time you're supposed to check in. Glow is right that it's not for me, but that's why I said what I said. I don't like the airline and generally haven't enjoyed all the extra hassles flying with them in the past. I'm willing to pay a little extra for better treatment and not having to rush and fight for a seat.

You understand that paying something like $12 extra puts you in line automatically following priority boarders, yes?  Almost certainly within the first 45 or so onboard and certainly able to get 2 seats together on a 137 seat airplane.  But I'm not trying to sell you.  Everyone's mileage varies.  But we fly them by choice.  I even did for business when I had A List status.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
MWE was the last airline that actually treated people in coach like human beings.  Nowadays, they all treat you as self-loading cargo.

Anything under 500 miles these days, I just drive.  And I try really hard not to go more than 500 miles.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 08:30:03 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »
I dislike Southwest because their employees are loud. Shuttup and let me fly.

Flying sucks no matter what the airline. If you can take a backpack, there's nothing wrong with Spirit.

I've never been on a flight (hundreds of flights) where I've thought, "wow, that was enjoyable. Great time!"

It sucks.

Midwest was good because the seats were relatively comfortable, they gave you warm cookie and wine... but it still sucked.

Just please be on time and let me not be around kids or extraordinarily gross people.

Agreed with just about all of this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »
MWE was the last airline that actually treated people in coach like human beings.  Nowadays, they all treat you as self-loading cargo.

Anything under 500 miles these days, I just drive.  And I try really hard not to go more than 500 miles.

Totally agree on the driving. If it's less than a seven hour drive you will save time driving. Once you factor in waiting and car rentals.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
A lot of cheap, miserable people here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 10:03:35 PM »
A lot of cheap, miserable people here.

And one who apparently can't read.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »
I love Southwest.  If I have to change flights for whatever reason, there are no extra fees.  They are usually nice and very flexible.  If I don't like my seating number, I spring for the A1-15 spot.

That's another perk about Southwest I forgot to mention.  There is no such thing as a completely nonrefundable airfare.  If you need to cancel, they give you a credit for the amount of the airfare that is good for a year. 
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2016, 10:56:16 PM »
No one is forcing anyone to fly on them.

I know, though some places those are the only routes out there so in a way you are stuck. Depends on the city.    I just miss having a middle of the road airline that costs a little more, but has some amenities. 

Is what it is....the marketplace decided. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »
I dislike Southwest because their employees are loud. Shuttup and let me fly.

Flying sucks no matter what the airline. If you can take a backpack, there's nothing wrong with Spirit.

I've never been on a flight (hundreds of flights) where I've thought, "wow, that was enjoyable. Great time!"

It sucks.

Midwest was good because the seats were relatively comfortable, they gave you warm cookie and wine... but it still sucked.

Just please be on time and let me not be around kids or extraordinarily gross people.

I fly a lot, and there are some airlines I actually used to get semi excited, or at least not bummed out about taking.  Midwest was one of them.  Hot towels, cookies, wine, lobster bisque, wide seats, decent looking stewardesses (I don't use the FA terminology). 

Flew United this week which I haven't flown in some time.  Wow has that airline fallen down.  Frontier I have to literally be on my last gasp, same for Spirit.  SWA, I've never had a problem with because it's just always been that way for 30 years....so my expectation bias is different.

Jet Blue in 2 weeks.  Virgin in 3.  Then back to my old standard, American...only because I have more points than I can count, but not a great service either.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »
I fly a lot, and there are some airlines I actually used to get semi excited, or at least not bummed out about taking.  Midwest was one of them.  Hot towels, cookies, wine, lobster bisque, wide seats, decent looking stewardesses (I don't use the FA terminology)

Flew United this week which I haven't flown in some time.  Wow has that airline fallen down.  Frontier I have to literally be on my last gasp, same for Spirit.  SWA, I've never had a problem with because it's just always been that way for 30 years....so my expectation bias is different.

Jet Blue in 2 weeks.  Virgin in 3.  Then back to my old standard, American...only because I have more points than I can count, but not a great service either.

So brave.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2016, 11:24:44 PM »
So brave.

50 years behind the times - and proud of it! Wonder how "Negro" flies with his many non traditional acquaintances?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 02:27:27 AM »
I've never had a problem with southwest. Took it most recently to LA and Vegas. Vegas flight was one of the smoothest flights I've ever had. From boarding to taking off, no delays or anything.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 04:09:11 AM »
You understand that paying something like $12 extra puts you in line automatically following priority boarders, yes?  Almost certainly within the first 45 or so onboard and certainly able to get 2 seats together on a 137 seat airplane.  But I'm not trying to sell you.  Everyone's mileage varies.  But we fly them by choice.  I even did for business when I had A List status.

Thread started with discussion of Midwest Express, evolved to topics of airlines people dislike. I'm not a fan of Southwest for the aforementioned reasons. Really not sure why you guys seem to be taking that personally. Stockholders?

I don't begrudge you using or enjoying Southwest. My parents are big fans, obviously many other people also are. Just not my cup of tea and seemed an appropriate place to express why.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 06:36:20 AM »
Thread started with discussion of Midwest Express, evolved to topics of airlines people dislike. I'm not a fan of Southwest for the aforementioned reasons. Really not sure why you guys seem to be taking that personally. Stockholders?

I don't begrudge you using or enjoying Southwest. My parents are big fans, obviously many other people also are. Just not my cup of tea and seemed an appropriate place to express why.

Yep.  Different strokes for different folks.  Not suggesting you're in this camp brew but I'm routinely dumbfounded by folks who have never tried a particular product or service and yet still have an opinion.  I've flown legacies with some reasonable frequency over the years.  I typically find them inefficient and old school 'union like'.  I have not flown Frontier or Spirit but I'd give both a go.  I used to love Midwest but their business model just couldn't remain profitable. 

Someone above mentioned that commercial air travel has become like 'people cargo'.  No disagreement from me.  So my goal is to do that as painlessly as possible for the lowest and most flexible dollar possible.  And as chick mentioned, one of the huge SWA draws for us is their change/cancellation flexibility.  We always have trips west 'in the bank'.  Scheduled to go in about 3 weeks.  Are we actually going?  Maybe, maybe not.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
It's 140 rt. And I never understood the complaint about water. It's three bucks if you really want one. I saved over $150 rt compared to sw. I brought an empty water bottle and filled it up. If you are that concerned buy a water for 3 bucks. The personal item is a decent size. I have jeans, running shoes, sandals, six shirts, 2 swimsuits, a computer, 2 pairs of running shorts, tablet, another pair of sailing shoes, a dress shirt, socks and underwear. As long as you aren't going to a wedding with a tux you will be fine.

The only complaint I get is the small seats if you are are above average height or weight. The experience is flying in a tin can and I can't tell a difference between spirit and any other airline.

Damn good price.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2016, 06:43:02 AM »
Totally agree on the driving. If it's less than a seven hour drive you will save time driving. Once you factor in waiting and car rentals.

So true.  And let's add TSA to the misery index.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 06:49:20 AM »
Someone above mentioned that commercial air travel has become like 'people cargo'.  No disagreement from me.  So my goal is to do that as painlessly as possible for the lowest and most flexible dollar possible.  And as chick mentioned, one of the huge SWA draws for us is their change/cancellation flexibility.  We always have trips west 'in the bank'.  Scheduled to go in about 3 weeks.  Are we actually going?  Maybe, maybe not.

This is pretty much my attitude.  I don't need a meal.  Don't really even need a snack.  I'll take a bottle of water, spring the $8 for SWA wifi, fold myself into my seat and endure. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »

This is pretty much my attitude.  I don't need a meal.  Don't really even need a snack.  I'll take a bottle of water, spring the $8 for SWA wifi, fold myself into my seat and endure.

You done Frontier or Spirit? Be interested in your comparison.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »
Frontier only after they purchased Midwest.  Not since they have become ultra low cost like Spirit, which I have never flown.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 07:54:36 AM »
Yep.  Different strokes for different folks.  Not suggesting you're in this camp brew but I'm routinely dumbfounded by folks who have never tried a particular product or service and yet still have an opinion.  I've flown legacies with some reasonable frequency over the years.  I typically find them inefficient and old school 'union like'.  I have not flown Frontier or Spirit but I'd give both a go.  I used to love Midwest but their business model just couldn't remain profitable. 

I've flown Southwest I believe 3 times. For me, while there are a few minor things, the seating always frustrates me. Hate having to time your login, or having to interrupt the last day of your vacation, and frankly don't see why they don't just go to assigned seats. Does forcing customers to play lineup roulette really save anyone money?

I agree that air travel on the whole isn't the experience we had 20-30 years ago. Maybe springing for the A1-15 seats would change my tune, but my past experiences haven't encouraged me much.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2016, 08:05:08 AM »
You don't really have to time your login to get your boarding number.  Buy the Early Bird Check In.  It does it for you.  $15 per ticket.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »
What surprises me is the number of people I have met who trash SWA and upon further questioning, I discover that they have never actually flown on it.  For all intents and purposes, they were basing their opinion on Jay Leno jokes. 

One time I was attending a conference in Philadepphia with some coworkers and I was tasked with booking our flights.  One executive was livid that I booked us on Southwest, because he wasn't going to fly that "cattle car airline out of that crappy old airport".  I found out that not only had this 55-year-old lifelong Chicagoan never flown Southwest, he had never actually been to Midway Airport - ever.

I convinced him to give it a try, and he was pleasantly surprised.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback