[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real Estate Market  (Read 12495 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: Real Estate Market
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2016, 10:37:58 AM »
too bad the state limits the ABV of what can be sold there which since booze is legal never made sense to me

Really? What's the limit?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
Really? What's the limit?

Nothing higher than 15% which is pretty high but still no DFH 120, Fort or Raisin d Extra, Avery The Beast, Bruery Black Tuesday etc.
States protecting folks from 18% beer when you can still buy 40% liquor etc. Ohio was similar but just passed a law to remove the limit.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »
Nothing higher than 15% which is pretty high but still no DFH 120, Fort or Raisin d Extra, Avery The Beast, Bruery Black Tuesday etc.
States protecting folks from 18% beer when you can still buy 40% liquor etc. Ohio was similar but just passed a law to remove the limit.

Yeah, kind of an arbitrary limit, but thankfully it only forecloses a very small subset of specialty beers.

I wholeheartedly support smuggling them in to the oppressed citizens of NC though. VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »
I'm an infamous lightweight who gets foggy-headed if I drink a beer with ABV higher than 8 or so. I had a delicious bourbon-barrel one with 11% (I can't remember the name) last week as my second beer -- big mistake. I had to call my wife and tell her to pick me up. She wasn't pleased -- but was glad I didn't drive home tipsy. We only live about 10 mins away from the place.

I've never tried any of these super-high beers you just named, so I don't know what I'm missing anyway!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2016, 11:20:29 AM »
I'm an infamous lightweight who gets foggy-headed if I drink a beer with ABV higher than 8 or so. I had a delicious bourbon-barrel one with 11% (I can't remember the name) last week as my second beer -- big mistake. I had to call my wife and tell her to pick me up. She wasn't pleased -- but was glad I didn't drive home tipsy. We only live about 10 mins away from the place.

I've never tried any of these super-high beers you just named, so I don't know what I'm missing anyway!

Just a friendly tip, run the other way from this one:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/54571/

Tactical Nuclear Penguin, a relaxing 32% ABV.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »

Man created Uber so we could drink delicious bourbon barrel stouts!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
Can't speak for Charlotte proper, but two Colorado heavyweight "micro" brewers - New Belgium and Oscar Blues - have opened secondary operations in NC the past couple years to increase east coast distribution.  NC must be doing something right to woo businesses.   

So maybe Pot should be Pot/Beer.

I don't know of anyone who's ever moved anywhere because of beer.  Kids and adults are moving to Denver by the truckload to get a mile high, both figuratively literally and literally literally.  Seattle isn't on my radar, but I imagine there's a lot of similarities there, too.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
Not to steer too far off topic, but New Belgium was the first to do it and they picked NC for the mountain area and water that being near Asheville could bring for an EC operation. Now, many are just following suit. Just this week Ballast Point announced a Roanoke, VA brewery.

Back to the topic, I know the best units in Chicago actually never even get listed on the public record. There is a group of the top agents in the city that will send out listings to private group of people for first showing and biddings only for clients of specific agents. That is how my fiance and I got our condo in Logan Square 15 mo ago - and now comps in the area are going for $45k more than what we paid - and we have a 2 car garage. So if you're in Chicago and you're not with this 10% of top agents you won't see the best properties. If anyone is in the market in Chicago for buying or selling, PM me and I'll shoot you my agents name. She is amazing.

Piggybacking off of Chili, our agent offered that as well, but we ended up buying one that was publicly listed. I'll also offer up my agent to anyone who's interested. Very very pleased.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
Man created Uber so we could drink delicious bourbon barrel stouts!

I've never done the Uber thing, but you're right ... I probably should check it out just for this purpose.

As I said, I'm kind of a lightweight and I know my limit pretty well: 2 "regular" beers -- in other words, not high ABV.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
I've never done the Uber thing, but you're right ... I probably should check it out just for this purpose.

As I said, I'm kind of a lightweight and I know my limit pretty well: 2 "regular" beers -- in other words, not high ABV.

You're missing out (uber and beers).

As for the housing market, I live in Mpls.  Just bought my first house. Took me four offers to get one accepted, but I like the one I got the most (all considered), so happy that it did in the end. It took me a couple offers to realize I wasn't going to get anything offering list or 1-2% above.  Thankfully ended up finding a house that was self listed and the agent missed the mark in pricing.  Offered about 6% over a few hours after it hit the market, and it ended up appraising well over my purchase price.  Having walked through 60-70 homes at that point, I was floored that it was listed where it was and got aggressive.  Thankfully he accepted my offer after the house being the market 4 hours - pretty sure someone (probably multiple people) would have beaten me if he just gave it another 24 hours.

But yah, definitely a bubble. Just hoping to get what I paid for the house in a few years.  Definitely don't plan to be there that long, but things change.     
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:40 PM »
I don't know of anyone who's ever moved anywhere because of beer.  Kids and adults are moving to Denver by the truckload to get a mile high, both figuratively literally and literally literally.  Seattle isn't on my radar, but I imagine there's a lot of similarities there, too.

I moved to Chicago for beer... Well my job at the brewery.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2016, 07:04:29 AM »

Nice!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »

Let me rephrase... I don't know of anyone who's ever moved anywhere because of good beer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »
Let me rephrase... I don't know of anyone who's ever moved anywhere because of good beer.

I would put our beer up against almost any in the world. Sofie is damn near a perfect a beer.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
I would put our beer up against almost any in the world. Sofie is damn near a perfect a beer.

Who signed off on the cucumber lime mint radler?  :P

Goose makes great beer... that one I unfortunately had to dump.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2016, 06:22:05 PM »

Many years ago, lots of people moved to Milwaukee and St. Louis for beer.

Edit:  Oops!  Didn't see your later qualifier about good beer.  Carry on.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2016, 07:25:49 PM »
Who signed off on the cucumber lime mint radler?  :P

Goose makes great beer... that one I unfortunately had to dump.

Really?  It sounds really good.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
Unit right next door to me (3rd floor) in my 30 unit Lakeview neighborhood condo building was on the market for literally one day before going under contract. It is not exactly a comp (it is a 2 bedroom unit, mine is a 3 bedroom), but that has to bode well for our neck of the woods. Not sure what sale price is but asking price didn't seem ridiculously low. It was about 15% more per square foot than what I paid when I purchased 9 months ago. Personally if I got an offer after a day on the market I'd take it off the market and relist it $10k higher...but that's just me, maybe they needed to move quickly.

Inventory seems really tight for first time home buyers - which is a large chunk of the people who have bought in my building...which is all 2 and 3 bedroom condos in the $250-310k range. A garden-level unit sold earlier this spring after being on the market less than a month. There is only one other unit for sale, has been on the market for about 20 days.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:29:37 PM by Coleman »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
What's the story about the third ward in Milwaukee?
Is it oversold, over built, or doing just fine?

In my time it was the warehouse district and not good for much except some pizza shop who would serve freshmen.

My theory is that it is all about gentrification and the reverse migration back to inner cities.  Hoboken, Hartford, Brooklyn, are all enjoying tremendous growth.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »

Mike, IIRC you partied 7 days a week for 4 years at MU. 2 beers is now your capacity? WTF happened?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2016, 10:25:35 PM »
What's the story about the third ward in Milwaukee?
Is it oversold, over built, or doing just fine?

In my time it was the warehouse district and not good for much except some pizza shop who would serve freshmen.

My theory is that it is all about gentrification and the reverse migration back to inner cities.  Hoboken, Hartford, Brooklyn, are all enjoying tremendous growth.

It's doing great.  They are opening up a new boutique hotel there - a Kimpton

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/boutique-hotels-in-milwaukee

You cannot find a parking space anywhere in the Third Ward on the weekends.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2016, 11:49:10 PM »
Mike, IIRC you partied 7 days a week for 4 years at MU. 2 beers is now your capacity? WTF happened?

Don't misrepresent, Lenny.

I went out every night of finals week for four years. Very different than "partying 7 days a week for 4 years."

And WTF happened was that I gave up booze for 18+ years, from Oct 1992 to Feb 2011. I lost the ability to be a "high-volume lush." Plus, high ABV happened. I had one that was 11% tonight. Those didn't exist at the Gym in 1981!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2016, 02:29:58 AM »
Don't misrepresent, Lenny.

I went out every night of finals week for four years. Very different than "partying 7 days a week for 4 years."

And WTF happened was that I gave up booze for 18+ years, from Oct 1992 to Feb 2011. I lost the ability to be a "high-volume lush." Plus, high ABV happened. I had one that was 11% tonight. Those didn't exist at the Gym in 1981!!

The thing about drinking at the Lanche was that each RWB was barely above 3.2 but at $0.25 per we would always down more than a dozen. There is something to be said for quantity over quality.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2016, 07:19:55 AM »
It's a national trend.
In the last 5 years, 15-20 craft breweries have opened in Connecticut.

Milwaukee has quadrupled the number of microbreweries in the last 3 years. There are over 30 in the greater Milwaukee area.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »
It's doing great.  They are opening up a new boutique hotel there - a Kimpton

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/boutique-hotels-in-milwaukee

You cannot find a parking space anywhere in the Third Ward on the weekends.

It is doing great, but I don't have a good handle on who is moving into the 3rd Ward and East Side....millenials or retirees....I think it's trending to the later rather than the former.

I do wonder what is going to happen to the housing market once the millenials get off their parents couch and get into housing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback