[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168680 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #900 on: September 29, 2016, 09:39:12 PM »
Krane Kenney's contract ends in 2020, ai-na?

Kennedy should have been fired long ago. The guy is a bumbling idiot and they've finally come to their senses and kept him away from cameras and microphones.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #901 on: September 29, 2016, 11:17:53 PM »
Kennedy should have been fired long ago. The guy is a bumbling idiot and they've finally come to their senses and kept him away from cameras and microphones.

He may be a jackass who should never be in front of a camera but Ricketts wouldn't keep him on if he wasn't doing his job on the business side.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #902 on: October 02, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #903 on: October 02, 2016, 09:23:07 PM »
Well the season is in the books, with all the numbers in, here are my best guesses at the major awards:

AL MVP.
Super close call between 2 guys for me, in the end, geesh, kind of a toss up.  I guess I'd go Trout.  Altuve was magnificent as well and could easily win it.  Trout had an OPS about .70 higher.  Both had great seasons.  Not a bad choice.  Mookie could easily win as well

AL Cy Young
I almost can't believe it, back from the grave a couple of years ago, I'd say Justin Verlander.  He was top tier all year long, and just great in September. 1st in WHIP, 2nd in ERA, 1st in Ks, 16-9, 2nd in BAA, 2nd in H/9, 2nd in OPS against.  Just a great season all around.

NL MVP
Well, despite the fact that he was 2nd in BA, 1st in OPS, 4th in RBI, 1st in SLG (by quite a bit), 7th in OBP, 1st in doubles, 5th in hits Daniel Murphy won't win the award. 

All of Nolan Arenado's numbers don't matter, because they would be halved or so if he didn't play in Colorado (according to some).  His defense doesn't matter because instead of playing decently in a couple positions, he plays beyond expertly at one.

This is Kris Bryant's award.  The chosen one from the chosen team.  He did everything for the Cubs this year.  Put up great numbers across the board. 3rd in HR, 6th in RBI, 11th in BB, 19th in BA, 16th in 2B, 9th in OBP, 4th in SLG, 4th in OPS.   It would be a huge upset if he didn't win it. 

NL Cy Young

Hmm, does this go to the best pitcher?  That is clearly Clayton Kershaw.  But, he didn't log enough innings, and there were other exceptional performances.

It is a sweep for the Cubs, becoming the first teammates since Pujols and Carpenter to sweep them, question is, who wins it?  I would vote Hendricks, as ERA, to me is the most important category for a pitcher.  Hendricks, won this category by a wide margin.  He threw 190 innings, enough by a wide margin.  He is 3rd in BAA, 2nd in WHIP, top in OPS against.

It could go to Lester just as easily, or even Arrieta.  I expect Bumgarner to get some love, and Scherzer, as well as Jose Fernandez and Noah Syndergaard.  But it will go to 1 of 3 deserving Cubs. 

It is pretty cool, that in the NL, pretty much all the top pitchers are in the playoffs.  The Cubs trio, Bum and Cueto on the Giants, Kershaw and Hill on the Dodgers, Scherzer and Roark on the Nats.  Syndergaard on the Mets. 

Just my thoughts, for now anyways.  Maybe they'll change as I digest the season a bit more. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:11:19 PM by buckchuckler »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #904 on: October 02, 2016, 09:42:12 PM »
Fernandez gets NL CY.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #905 on: October 02, 2016, 10:10:08 PM »
Fernandez gets NL CY.

I think that would be great.  And there is certainly a case to be made with the on field performance. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #906 on: October 03, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
AL MVP
Mookie Betts (unless writers get sentimental and give some Mookie votes to Ortiz)

AL Cy Young
Rick Porcello (Zach Britton has been the best pitcher in the AL but voters don't like relievers and they LOVE 20+ wins)

AL Rookie
Gary Sanchez

NL MVP
Kris Bryant

NL Cy Young
Kyle Hendriks

NL Rookie
Corey Seager

World Series
Red Sox over Nationals
(As a Cubs fan, I just can't help from picturing the Cubs getting knocked out by Dusty)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #907 on: October 03, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
I'll be rooting for Thor and the Mets on Wednesday.  Would rather face them than SF in the NLDS considering how banged up they are. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #908 on: October 03, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »

NL Cy Young
Kyle Hendriks Scherzer

World Series
Red Sox over Nationals Cubs (We'll either get swept, or be ahead 3-2 going back to Boston--where Game 6 will turn on some crazy play--followed by a terribly anti-climatic Game 7 loss).
(As a Cubs fan, I just can't help from picturing the Cubs getting knocked out by Dusty blowing it)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #909 on: October 03, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
I think that would be great.  And there is certainly a case to be made with the on field performance. 

You can't just give a guy an award because he died.

If it was close between him and someone else sure, but there's too many guys ahead of him.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #910 on: October 03, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »

If it was close between him and someone else sure, but there's too many guys ahead of him.

Second in WAR....he was getting votes regardless.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #911 on: October 03, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »

He was right there in the race before his death.  I think he gets it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #912 on: October 03, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
AL MVP
Mookie Betts (unless writers get sentimental and give some Mookie votes to Ortiz)

AL Cy Young
Rick Porcello (Zach Britton has been the best pitcher in the AL but voters don't like relievers and they LOVE 20+ wins)

AL Rookie
Gary Sanchez

NL MVP
Kris Bryant

NL Cy Young
Kyle Hendriks

NL Rookie
Corey Seager

World Series
Red Sox over Nationals
(As a Cubs fan, I just can't help from picturing the Cubs getting knocked out by Dusty)

I agree with you on the NL, Seager is basically a shoe in, especially since Story didn't play the last 2 months.  If he had, i think it could have been a close race.  In the AL, Sanchez has a great case, good grief was he spectacular, but the other guy I think has a shot is Michael Fulmer.  He was great all year long and threw to a 3.06 ERA in about 160 innings.  It will be interesting to see how they are weighted. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #913 on: October 03, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
Fulmer for ROY. 
 Tigers synopsis.    I think Ausmus has earned another year.    Due to injuries, the starting line-up of Kinsler, Maybin, Cabrera, V Martinez, JD Martinez, Upton, Castellanos, McCann, Iglesias only started 12 games together.      Zimmerman missed 3 months, Pelphrey 6 weeks, Norris 3 months, A Wilson, 6 weeks, Hardy, 2 months, Greene 5 weeks.   
Maybin missed 70 games, Castellanos 46, JD Martinez 45, McCann 35, Iglesias 20.   V Martinez's knees have become a punchline.     The Tigers were using Romine and Aviles as their starting outfielders for a week at a time.   

MVP:  I agree it shouldn't be Miggie, but  Cabrera goes .315, 38/108 and no one even thinks about him.   A career year for most, slightly disappointing for him.    Ah, well.

Injuries, injuries, injuries.   The fact that Detroit stayed in it as long as they did as injured as they were means Ausmus gets to return. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #914 on: October 03, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »
Any thoughts on Renteria, Buckchuckler?  I thought he was solid in his one year with the Cubs.  If the Sox actually decide to rebuild he could be a very good fit. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #915 on: October 03, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »
Any thoughts on Renteria, Buckchuckler?  I thought he was solid in his one year with the Cubs.  If the Sox actually decide to rebuild he could be a very good fit.

Well, I certainly thought he got a raw deal with the Cubs, so I'm glad he is managing again.  He certainly seemed to do a good job with the Cubs, as I remember, that team got much better as the season went on with a lot of really young guys.

I guess I am undecided as yet, as he seemed good with the Cubs, but it isn't easy to learn much about a bench coach in 1 year (at least he has more experience than Robin did-- any).  The thing I find really odd is that they didn't even interview anyone.  The talk around the Sox has been it was almost a given that Sandy Alomar would replace Robin, and I find it weird they didn't even interview anyone.  Maybe that means the team and front office loved him.  It just feels odd that they just named him. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #916 on: October 04, 2016, 09:09:14 AM »
Well, I certainly thought he got a raw deal with the Cubs, so I'm glad he is managing again.  He certainly seemed to do a good job with the Cubs, as I remember, that team got much better as the season went on with a lot of really young guys.

I guess I am undecided as yet, as he seemed good with the Cubs, but it isn't easy to learn much about a bench coach in 1 year (at least he has more experience than Robin did-- any).  The thing I find really odd is that they didn't even interview anyone.  The talk around the Sox has been it was almost a given that Sandy Alomar would replace Robin, and I find it weird they didn't even interview anyone.  Maybe that means the team and front office loved him.  It just feels odd that they just named him.

Renteria did a very good job with the Cubs. He brought a lot of energy and positivity. He got Rizzo and Castro back on track and, even after the Samarzija and Hammel trade, that talent-deficient team went 28-27 over the last 2 months and were right around .500 in 1-run games. I actually think that the Cubs would have made the playoffs under Renteria both this season and last. The talent was/is there and he wasn't going to mess things up. IMO, it's a good hire for the Sox.

I don't think Ventura was ever 100% invested in managing and I wouldn't be surprised if Renteria was brought in as a back-up plan in case Robin bolted during the season.  He then did well in his role and was well-liked by the players so they kept him on.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #917 on: October 04, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »
AL MVP
Mookie Betts

Mike Trout is still the best player but tough to be MVP nowadays when you're team is 14 games under .500.  Ortiz had a phenomenal year with the bat but gets penalized for being a DH.  Betts is an all around stud; hits, runs, avg, hr, rbi, sb and 2nd in WAR only to Trout.  Betts is closer to Trout (10.6 to 9.6 WAR) than 3rd place Kris Bryant and Jose Altuve are to him (both 7.7 WAR).

AL Cy Young
Justin Verlander

2nd in ERA and IP, 1st in WHIP, K's and WAR.  If the voters want a pitcher from a playoff team then Corey Kluber gets it over Rickey Porcello.

AL Rookie
Gary Sanchez

A fantastic but short season.  He crammed a whole season into 225 PA.  Wouldn't be surprised if it goes to someone else due to the brief MLB playing time.  But there really isn't another standout rookie in the AL.  In fact, Sanchez was still 1st in WAR among AL rookies despite the brief campaign.

NL MVP
Kris Bryant

Best NL player is also on the best team in MLB.  Nolan Arenado is on a team 13 games under .500 and other than RBI Bryant has nearly identical stats with a superior WAR.  That doesn't even take into account the altitude of Coors Field.

NL Cy Young
Max Scherzer

Just a gut feeling.  Kershaw was the best pitcher but only started 21 games.  Hendricks and Lester split the Cub vote.  Jose Fernandez is in the discussion and might get some extra sentimental votes.  I see a split vote with very little separation 1-5 and Scherzer emerges with the award.

NL Rookie
Corey Seager

Trevor Story is a close 2nd.  However, not playing a full season hurts him since the NL has a clear standout in Seager.  WAR of 6.1 far and away tops among all rookies.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #918 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
AL MVP
Mookie Betts

Mike Trout is still the best player but tough to be MVP nowadays when you're team is 14 games under .500.  Ortiz had a phenomenal year with the bat but gets penalized for being a DH.  Betts is an all around stud; hits, runs, avg, hr, rbi, sb and 2nd in WAR only to Trout.  Betts is closer to Trout (10.6 to 9.6 WAR) than 3rd place Kris Bryant and Jose Altuve are to him (both 7.7 WAR).

I understand what you are saying, and you are certainly not wrong, but the point that Betts was almost as good as Trout is an astpounding case for Betts over Trout.

As Tower pointed out with Miggy, I think Trout's greatness is already being taken for granted.  For example, Betts is one of baseball's best young players and often gets cited as such, and rightfully so, but he is only a year younger than Trout. 

Trout this year was the second person in history to over 120 R,115 BB, 30 SB and hit .315 (I heard it on MLB radio, pretty sure those were the categories).  The only other player to accomplish those numbers was Ty Cobb. 

Does everyone remember Lou Brock?  Mike Trout already has a higher career WAR.  And Jim Rice.  And Roy Campanella, and many many more. 

But back to topic, yes your point on the Angels is well taken, and will likely cost MLB's best player an MVP. 

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #919 on: October 04, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
Toronto fans are THE WORST! 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #920 on: October 04, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »
AL MVP
Mookie Betts

So Trout is punished because the team around him is worse?  In an sport that is pretty much a series of individual battles, I don't understand why the team's performance would matter.  I understand that line of thinking more in basketball and football which is much more of a team game.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #921 on: October 04, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »

So Trout is punished because the team around him is worse?  In an sport that is pretty much a series of individual battles, I don't understand why the team's performance would matter.  I understand that line of thinking more in basketball and football which is much more of a team game.

I don't think anyone here supports that narrative, but that is how it will be voted.

brandx

« Reply #922 on: October 04, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »
At least Britton will be rested up for the next game.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #923 on: October 04, 2016, 10:48:36 PM »
At least Britton will be rested up for the next game.

Unreal.  Britton gave up 1 dinger all year and had the highest gb rate in history.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:54:09 PM by buckchuckler »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #924 on: October 05, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
Second in WAR....he was getting votes regardless.

He was right there in the race before his death.  I think he gets it.

Cy Young votes no doubt.  But to win it?  No way. 

Also Baseball Reference has Fernandez as a 4.2 WAR.

1.   Scherzer (WSN)   6.2
2.   Cueto (SFG)   5.6
        Kershaw (LAD)   5.6
4.   Roark (WSN)   5.5
5.   Martinez (STL)   5.4
6.   Lester (CHC)   5.3
7.   Syndergaard (NYM)   5.3
8.   Bumgarner (SFG)   5.0
9.   Hendricks (CHC)   5.0
10.   Teheran (ATL)   4.8

feedback