collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168528 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #1175 on: January 31, 2017, 12:45:25 PM »
Dodgers 2017 MLB Worldseries champs

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: January 31, 2017, 03:09:29 PM »
That is all fair, and maybe the punishment was light.  What more would you have done?  Acted sooner and taken away their number 1 pick?  Would Fowler then have cost their 3rd or 4th?  No real difference there.  Would they have been unable to sign a QO player?  Taken away their entire draft?  Taken their first pick next year?  Maybe that would have been the thing to do. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: January 31, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
That is all fair, and maybe the punishment was light.  What more would you have done?  Acted sooner and taken away their number 1 pick?  Would Fowler then have cost their 3rd or 4th?  No real difference there.  Would they have been unable to sign a QO player?  Taken away their entire draft?  Taken their first pick next year?  Maybe that would have been the thing to do.

I'm not saying it was an easy decision as there was no precedent but MLB really dragged it out.  That gave the Cardinals more incentive to go after Fowler, knowing they may lose that pick as part of the punishment anyway.  I do think if their first round pick in 2018 had also been taken away along with the picks this year that would have been more palatable. 

From what I've read, it does seem quite a few people in the industry think they got off pretty easy.   

And again, the Cardinals should not received a competitive balance pick every year due to market size.  They are not hurting for revenue in the least.  That gets on my nerves on a yearly basis. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »

And again, the Cardinals should not received a competitive balance pick every year due to market size.  They are not hurting for revenue in the least.  That gets on my nerves on a yearly basis.

Completely separate issue.  Has no bearing on anything to do with this case, but yes, the fact that they Cards get an extra pick is ridiculous.  Actually, the whole competitive balance system is terrible. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: January 31, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »
Completely separate issue.  Has no bearing on anything to do with this case, but yes, the fact that they Cards get an extra pick is ridiculous.  Actually, the whole competitive balance system is terrible.

Overall you're right but it could have been part of a bigger penalty.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: February 01, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
Overall you're right but it could have been part of a bigger penalty.

I doubt the penalty could have superseded the CBA.  The 2M fine was the max allowed by the CBA.  The commissioner can not unilaterally alter it.

feedback