collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

What All-Star Game Do You Most PLAN BEFORE To Watch?

NFL Pro-Bowl
1 (2.6%)
NBA All-Star Game
1 (2.6%)
NHL All-Stars
0 (0%)
MLB All-Star Game
11 (28.9%)
I don't PLAN BEFORE to watch any but will stop and watch if channel surfing when it's on
19 (50%)
I don't PLAN BEFORE to watch any but will NOT watch even if channel surfing when it's on
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Watch All-Star Games  (Read 5023 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Poll: Do You Watch All-Star Games
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
I absolutely hated the All-Star Game/World Series home-field advantage connection.

So, some Twins pitcher throws a meatball to some Padres infielder, whose hard grounder is booted by some Tigers infielder (perhaps a replacement for a real All-Star who was injured), letting the winning run score in an exhibition game ... that determines who gets home-field advantage for the single most important game of the entire season?

You actually liked that rule, TAMU? I'm surprised about that!

I felt like the teams and managers actually cared about the outcome. If we're going to get all the greats together, I actually want to see them compete. Most times it seems like all star games are just about goofing off.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
I felt like the teams and managers actually cared about the outcome. If we're going to get all the greats together, I actually want to see them compete. Most times it seems like all star games are just about goofing off.

I honestly don't think it materially affected anything.

Players are proud so they want to do their best when they're out there, but the managers hardly play anybody more than one or two innings. Pitchers are run in and out of games in a blink. Managers mostly try to get almost everybody into the game.

That's the way it was before "this time it counts," and that's the way it was the last several years even though "it counted."

The days of Pete Rose crashing into Ray Fosse are long gone, and that's a good thing. These guys make $20 million a year, and the last thing baseball needs is one of them suffering a career-ending injury in an exhibition game. Can you imagine the stink if the Red Sox manager ran a Yankees pitcher out for a third inning "because I felt that was the best way for us to win" only to see the pitcher blow out his arm? Come on, TAMU!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »
I find games more interesting when there is something on the line. Others don't. This change means that the mlb allstar game has lost me as a viewer. I'm sure they are heartbroken and will be changing it back shortly as a result.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
No more watching meaningless bowl games then, right TAMU?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
No more watching meaningless bowl games then, right TAMU?

Can't stand bowl games. Who cares?
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 10:09:19 PM »
I find games more interesting when there is something on the line. Others don't. This change means that the mlb allstar game has lost me as a viewer.

Fair enough.

Each of us must have a reason to watch any event, show, movie, etc. You've drawn your line, and I respect that. (Which I'm sure must be a relief to you!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »
Fair enough.

Each of us must have a reason to watch any event, show, movie, etc. You've drawn your line, and I respect that. (Which I'm sure must be a relief to you!)

I was waiting with bated breath  8-)
TAMU

feedback