collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168497 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
MLB 2016
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
The eve of the best day of the year for me.  Baseball looks poised for a great season. 

The NL is top heavy, with very good teams and very bad teams.  The AL looks like a very even league. 

NL East

The Mets look like favorites, their pitching looks ridiculous, but can they stay healthy?  Their offense will be better than last year, with a full year of Cespedes, Conforto and d'Arnaud.  With Neil Walker and Cabrera up the middle the offense looks a lot better.

The Nats look poised to compete, but they under preformed last year and lost Zimmerman, Storen and Desmond.  They have some stud kids in the waiting (Giolito and Turner), will they come up?  Will they make an impact?

The Marlins need to be healthy.  If Stanton and Fernandez give them health, they could be a surprise competitor in the East. 

The Phils and Braves are rebuilding.  Positives on the horizon, but both could lose 90+.

My prediction : Mets, Nats, Marlins, Phils, Braves. 

The NL Central is similar, very top heavy. 

The Cubs seem to be the anointed.  After reaching the NLCS last year and getting obliterated by the Mets, they won the offseason.  Heyward, Lackey, Zobrist.  Kept Fowler.  They are likely the favorites, but aren't perfect, but the problem are certainly nit picky.  Biggest concern may be sophmore slumps.  Bryant seems too good for that, but Schwarber had a declining OPS each month, and didn't hit lefties well, but he looks like part of a platoon, so that may not be a concern.  They have ML depth, with lots of valuable tradable assets in the minors.  Just a dangerous team.  109 or no? 

The Cards lost 2 big FA players.  To the Cubs.  Ouch.  They also won 100 games without Wainwright, Holiday and Molina (for the most part) last year.  Will those guys stay healthy?  Will Piscotty and Grichuk be able to replicate their performances from last season?  They've already lost Peralta, but added Mike Leake to the rotation.  Should be a very strong team.

The Pirates didn't add much.  But they lost some pop.  Walker and Alvarez are gone, though Alvarez killed them on D last season.  Walker brought in a much needed pitcher.  They have the best all around OF in the bigs, but will their infield give them enough offensive support?  Their pitching should be good, but could have used a mid rotation style arm.

As for the Brewers and Reds, well, see Phils and Braves.
My prediction:  Cards, Cubs, Pirates, Reds, Brewers
The West is a bit more muddled. 
The DBacks went for it, but lost their 2nd best hitter yesterday.  They added a ton of pitching in Greinke and Miller, but completely sacrificed their minor league depth.  Good ML depth means they may be able sustain the loss of Pollock, but it is questionable. 

The Dodgers lost Greinke and replaced him with middle rotation types.  What will Puig be?  Will their rotation be able to stay steady after Kershaw?  They should be in the mix the entire season, but can they get there?

The Giants spent a ton of money, but did they spend it wisely?  Both Samardizja and Cueto had big question marks of seasons, but both return to the NL and to a great pitchers park.  Span looks like a solid addition to the top, they have a very solid core, and it is an even year.  They have the best manager and possibly the best front office in baseball, they can never be counted out. 

The Rockies and Padres are better than the other NL bottom feeders, but still seem a tier behind the three teams.  Maybe they could surprise, but it's be, well, a surprise to me.

Prediction:  Giants, Snakes, Dodgers, Pads, Rocks. 
As for the AL, yikes.

I wouldn't be surprised if any team won the East.  I'd bet on the Jays, but who knows.  I'd bet on the O's for last, but who knows.   

The Yankees are old, but can hit if they stay healthy.  Their rotation seems like a bit of a mess, but their pen looks like one of the best, provided Miller can pitch through his hand injury (non pitching hand).  When Chapman gets back, look out. 

The Red Sox are a mystery.  Some great young players, but some aging vets, and some big downside vets (Pablo and Hanley)  The added Price, but after that their rotation is sketchy.  Should have a good pen, and great when Carson Smith gets back.

The Jays can mash.  But will their pitching hold up.  They lost Price and didn't replace him.  Pen should be good.  They will beat opponents into submission.

The Rays are the Rays.  Small market, solid players, good pitching and defense and an improved offense.  I was surprised they traded Karns, but they had the depth. 

The O's will hit a ton of HRs.  They will also K alot.  A ton.  Their d looks sketchy in the OF, at best.

My prediction:  Jays, Yanks, Rays, Boston, O's

The Central is similar.  Every team could win it. 

The Royals are defending Champs.  They did lose some key pen cogs though, both Madsen and Holland are gone.  Cueto is gone, they brought in Kennedy, to fill some innings and the park and D should help him.  Much the same on offense, will pressure you to death.

The Twins were a surprise team last year, and didn't lose a ton.  They will get a full season on Sano (who could be a monster).  They have Park, a Korean import that should mash, but guys from the KBL don't have the track record of other leagues.  The big question here is can their pitching continue to improve. 

The Tigers addressed their pen.  Which has been their Achillies Heel for years.  They brought in Upton and ZImmerman, but lost Cespedes and Price from last year's opening day lineup.  Again, I think their biggest if is health.  Last year Cabrera missed a good chunk and they got nothing out of V-Mart. 

The Indians can pitch.  Boy can they pitch.  They have 3 starters that will likely K 225 hitters or so.  Not quite the Mets, but close.  The questions is will they hit.  Kipnis needs a bounce back year, Brantley needs to get and stay healthy, and they need someone else to step up.

My beloved White Sox.  If everything goes right they could be great.  Adding Frazier is great.  Lawrie, Rollins, Latos and Jackson are all low risk high reward moves.  Their pitching should be good, and could be great if Rodon takes the next step. 

My Prediction: White Sox (complete Homer pick-- Hawk would be proud) Royals, Tigers, Twins, Indians.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was completely backwards.  This division is crazy.

The AL West.

The Astros are the sexy pick, much like the Cubs.  Lots of good young talent, some top tier arms, good pen.  Minor league depth.  They seem to have it together.  Not without question marks though, again the K's.  What will they get from Gomez?  What happens at 1B?

The Rangers.  If they stay toward the top till Darvish gets back watch out.  They may run away.  They should hit, and pitch.  Maybe a bit weaker in the pen, but very strong.

The Halos didn't do much.  They have great strength in their lineup with Trout, Pujols and Calhoun.  But they need more from other guys.  Who will it be?  Their rotation looks iffy as well.

The Mariners re did everything.  I am very interested in what happens here.  Very curious.

Oakland was the worst team in the AL last year, and didn't do much.  Lots of young talent, I wouldn't be surprised if they took some serious steps forward.

My prediction:  Astros, Rangers, Mariners, As, Angels.

Fell off a bit at the end.  Sorry.  There is my take. 

I love Baseball.  Its been a long few months.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:11:49 PM »
Lots of good stuff, buck. One correction - the Nats didn't lose Zimmerman, he's playing first and batting clean up.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »
Lots of good stuff, buck. One correction - the Nats didn't lose Zimmerman, he's playing first and batting clean up.

That's Ryan.  Nats lost P Jordan Zimmerman to Detroit. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »

Hahah.  True.  I meant that other Zimmerman. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »
Good stuff. Looking forward to the season.  The league is full of exciting young players right now.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »
Good stuff, Buck.

There could easily be a couple 100 win teams in the NL this year - simply because there are 6 really bad teams.

St Louis could win the NL Central again - especially if they get anything out of C and 1B. Excellent pitching and some really nice young hitters. If Grichuk played 81 games in Milwaukee, he could win the HR title in the NL. Playing is StL hurts those chances, but he doesn't hit many cheap ones.

In the AL, the Orioles could set a Major League team HR record this year and finish last. I think they may finish as high as 2nd or, more likely, 3rd.

Houston will be really fun to watch - especially if Gomez and Springer stay healthy.

Hanley could well win Comeback Player of the Year in the AL. Looks like his shoulder is healthy and the park is made for him.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »
Scoop offer: For now, anyone who asks I will get us tickets to a Twins game. You must cheer for Minnesota.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:43:14 PM »
Scoop offer: For now, anyone who asks I will get us tickets to a Twins game. You must cheer for Minnesota.

JB rolling in that $$$

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
That's Ryan.  Nats lost P Jordan Zimmerman to Detroit.

Yes - it was a joke.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 12:07:01 AM »
NL Division Winners:  Cubs, Mets, Giants
NL Wildcards: Dodgers, Nats
AL Division Winners: Toronto, Houston, Royals
AL Wildcards: Boston, Texas
World Series: Cubs over Houston

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 12:21:06 AM »
NL Division Winners:  Cubs, Mets, Giants
NL Wildcards: Dodgers, Nats
AL Division Winners: Toronto, Houston, Royals
AL Wildcards: Boston, Texas
World Series: Cubs over Houston

Homer.   ;)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 12:30:13 AM »
Homer.   ;)

Just calling it as I see it.   :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 12:31:33 AM »
Go Halos....start off with drubbing the Crubs on Monday!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 09:39:29 AM »

Ernie Banks won the MVP with a last place Cubs team almost 60 years ago. Will Mike Trout do the same with the hapless Halos this year?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
Ernie Banks won the MVP with a last place Cubs team almost 60 years ago. Will Mike Trout do the same with the hapless Halos this year?

You might be thinking of Andre Dawson in '87.  The Cubs did not finish in last place in '58 or '59, (Banks' MVP years).

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
You might be thinking of Andre Dawson in '87.  The Cubs did not finish in last place in '58 or '59, (Banks' MVP years).

Good catch, WI.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
I see Lenny is taking his useless preseason NCAA approach and doing the same thing with the MLB.

I'd like to see the teams play, we'll see how things go. 

For the record, I'm a huge Joe Maddon fan and was blessed to have worked with him when I was with the Halos and Joe was our interim manager, and then top bench coach.  Awesome guy.  I wish the Cubs well.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »
I see Lenny is taking his useless preseason NCAA approach and doing the same thing with the MLB.

I'd like to see the teams play, we'll see how things go. 

For the record, I'm a huge Joe Maddon fan and was blessed to have worked with him when I was with the Halos and Joe was our interim manager, and then top bench coach.  Awesome guy.  I wish the Cubs well.

The AL is going to be really even I think.  You could make a case for so many teams ending up at the top or bottom of their divisions.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
For those that have T-Mobile, free MLB.TV Premium this year.  Sign up before 4/10.

http://www.t-mobile.com/mlb.html

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
For those that have T-Mobile, free MLB.TV Premium this year.  Sign up before 4/10.

http://www.t-mobile.com/mlb.html

That's fantastic.  Mlb.tv is a great service.  I subscribe and it is worth every penny if you are a junkie.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 08:09:18 PM »
The AL is going to be really even I think.  You could make a case for so many teams ending up at the top or bottom of their divisions.

The AL is really really good.   I was just a little surprised at the Hapless comment considering the Angels had the best record in the AL two years ago, and lost out on the playoffs last year on the last game of the season.  They're going to have a tough time because the league and division are so tough, but hoping for a solid year and to be in the conversation to the end.  Injuries will be key for us.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 12:22:28 AM »
The AL is really really good.   I was just a little surprised at the Hapless comment considering the Angels had the best record in the AL two years ago, and lost out on the playoffs last year on the last game of the season.  They're going to have a tough time because the league and division are so tough, but hoping for a solid year and to be in the conversation to the end.  Injuries will be key for us.

As an outsider, it is the pitching that looks sketchy to me.  Richards is great, but after him?  Wilson and Weaver are question marks.  Heaney could be very good, but has what 120 innings in his career?  Shoemaker is ok, Santiago is the wild card.  The Angels really need him to at least repeat what he did last year.

The questions in the rotation is why I personally doubt them. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »
Bryce Harper is already my 2016 MVP.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »
NL Division Winners:  Cardinals, Giants, Nationals
NL Wildcards: Cubs, Dodgers
AL Division Winners: Royals, Astros, Blue Jays
AL Wildcards: Red Sox, Mariners
World Series: Giants over Blue Jays

The Cubs will be able to hit, but I don't think their starting pitching is going to hold up enough to win the division. It'd be nearly impossible for Arrieta to duplicate last season, Lackey is 37 and coming off his highest workload since 2007, Lester's elbow is a ticking timebomb and I don't have a whole lot of trust in Hendricks or Hammel. They have the assets to make a deal at the deadline and the FO appears to really like Tyson Ross so you never know. It should be a fun, interesting season.

feedback