[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168483 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #700 on: July 28, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »
On a personal note, as a dad of daughters, it is both frustrating and infuriating to see people give Chapman a standing ovation coming into a game.  I didn't understand the support for Ray Rice, and I don't understand it here.  I have no idea, but I'm willing to bet Theo doesn't have a daughter. 

Sorry...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #701 on: July 29, 2016, 01:04:45 AM »
On a personal note, as a dad of daughters, it is both frustrating and infuriating to see people give Chapman a standing ovation coming into a game.  I didn't understand the support for Ray Rice, and I don't understand it here.  I have no idea, but I'm willing to bet Theo doesn't have a daughter. 

Sorry...

As mentioned before, I wasn't a fan of the trade from a value or off the field perspective. However, I also don't think, based on what is known, that the comparison to Rice is a valid one.

I don't think a person needs to have a daughter to have an issue. I also don't think you're being fair to Epstein if you're insinuating he doesn't realize the seriousness of potential domestic violence.

Do you have the same problem with Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf based on the Brett Myers trade in 2008?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #702 on: July 29, 2016, 08:24:46 AM »

Sorry...

FWIW, Theo has 2 sons. At the end of the day though, his job is to assemble the best team possible and he showed during his very successful tenure in Boston that, when push comes to shove, he'll take talent over character and he's far from being the only GM who thinks this way. I don't like having Chapman on my favorite team and I hope they win in spite of him, but the move didn't surprise me.

The Cubs knew there was a risk involved in trading for Chapman and they completely dropped the ball on the whole situation post-trade. Allowing reporters to speak with Chapman via translator Henry Blanco was a complete cluster, capped off by Chapman saying that he doesn't recall the heart-to-heart phone call with Theo and Ricketts. Then the club went into CYA mode and had Chapman do a off-camera one-on-one interview in Spanish in which he claimed that something was lost in translation during the previous media session. I mean, it's not like the guy has been dealing with the media via a translator for 7+ years or anything.

Also, where has Ricketts been? He should have been front and center on this, along with his sister Laura. Her family owns the team and she sits on the BoD. From a PR standpoint, who better to help the franchise preach forgiveness and second chances and reform on behalf of a wife-beater than a high-ranking female? Unless, of course, she wasn't on board with the move...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:26:32 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #703 on: July 29, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
FWIW, Theo has 2 sons. At the end of the day though, his job is to assemble the best team possible and he showed during his very successful tenure in Boston that, when push comes to shove, he'll take talent over character and he's far from being the only GM who thinks this way. I don't like having Chapman on my favorite team and I hope they win in spite of him, but the move didn't surprise me.

The Cubs knew there was a risk involved in trading for Chapman and they completely dropped the ball on the whole situation post-trade. Allowing reporters to speak with Chapman via translator Henry Blanco was a complete cluster, capped off by Chapman saying that he doesn't recall the heart-to-heart phone call with Theo and Ricketts. Then the club went into CYA mode and had Chapman do a off-camera one-on-one interview in Spanish in which he claimed that something was lost in translation during the previous media session. I mean, it's not like the guy has been dealing with the media via a translator for 7+ years or anything.

Also, where has Ricketts been? He should have been front and center on this, along with his sister Laura. Her family owns the team and she sits on the BoD. From a PR standpoint, who better to help the franchise preach forgiveness and second chances and reform on behalf of a wife-beater than a high-ranking female? Unless, of course, she wasn't on board with the move...

I am as skeptical as anyone regarding Chapman's story and his girlfriend changing her account and not pressing charges. I've also read the police report, etc. As skeptical as I am I don't think there is enough conclusive proof to know for certain that he is or refer to him as  a wife beater.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #704 on: July 29, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »

From day one, the family has always stayed out of baseball decisions and has stated that. I'm sure due to the situation, they were consulted. However, it still comes down to a baseball decision. It's good for the baseball team.

I think you're stretching by thinking Laura had much involvement at all with this trade.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #705 on: July 29, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
From day one, the family has always stayed out of baseball decisions and has stated that. I'm sure due to the situation, they were consulted. However, it still comes down to a baseball decision. It's good for the baseball team.

I think you're stretching by thinking Laura had much involvement at all with this trade.

I never said that she had involvement in the trade. I was merely saying that, from a purely PR standpoint, it could have been beneficial to have the highest ranking female within the organization publicly sign-off on bringing in a player with Chapman's history.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #706 on: July 29, 2016, 09:29:24 AM »
I am as skeptical as anyone regarding Chapman's story and his girlfriend changing her account and not pressing charges. I've also read the police report, etc. As skeptical as I am I don't think there is enough conclusive proof to know for certain that he is or refer to him as  a wife beater.

Fair enough. How about instead of "wife-beater," we refer to him as "a guy who grabbed a gun and made his girlfriend fear for her life and may or may not have choked her?"

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #707 on: July 29, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »
Fair enough. How about instead of "wife-beater," we refer to him as "a guy who grabbed a gun and made his girlfriend fear for her life and may or may not have choked her?"

That works.  I'm definitely not trying to minimize the impact of what he did. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #708 on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »
I never said that she had involvement in the trade. I was merely saying that, from a purely PR standpoint, it could have been beneficial to have the highest ranking female within the organization publicly sign-off on bringing in a player with Chapman's history.

I agree with this.  Of course, it's possible the media could have turned it around as well ("Laura being used a puppet, etc.).

Of course, she may have been vehemently against the trade, was overruled, and in that case her taking that stance would be disingenuous.

I also wonder if Epstein's lack of a contract extension had any impact all.  That being said, I'm not concerned about that aspect as Epstein isn't going anywhere.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #709 on: July 29, 2016, 10:09:14 AM »
It's like when the Bulls got Rodman.

Except Chapman doesn't have the long track record of being a miscreant, like Rodman.

You haven't won the WS in 108 years and, except for a great closer, you have pretty much everything you need to finally win one. The best closer on the market comes available and you don't have to touch anything on your big-league roster to get him.

Total effen no-brainer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #710 on: July 29, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »
Sorry to get it off track everyone.

Sooooo anyways, the Padres seem to have done pretty well in trading Cashner.  The Marlins are serious.  They just got Gordon back, the problem for the now is that he is ineligible for the postseason roster if they make it.  Always interesting seeing the Marlins make a run.  When they go for it they dont take half steps.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #711 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »
It's like when the Bulls got Rodman.

Except Chapman doesn't have the long track record of being a miscreant, like Rodman.

You haven't won the WS in 108 years and, except for a great closer, you have pretty much everything you need to finally win one. The best closer on the market comes available and you don't have to touch anything on your big-league roster to get him.

Total effen no-brainer.

We're talking two completely different kinds of miscreant here.
Rodman was a dirty basketball player, but to that point of his life (when the Bulls acquired him) had no serious off-court troubles. I'm not sure how he's at all comparable to a guy who was suspended 30 games for for choking a woman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #712 on: July 29, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
We're talking two completely different kinds of miscreant here.
Rodman was a dirty basketball player, but to that point of his life (when the Bulls acquired him) had no serious off-court troubles. I'm not sure how he's at all comparable to a guy who was suspended 30 games for for choking a woman.

I know Rodman has been accused of sexual harassment multiple times, and I think maybe even abuse once or twice. But yes, I might have my timeline wrong. That might have happened after the Bulls got that fine pillar of the community. If that is the case, I certainly defer to your knowledge.

As for Chapman ...

He served his MLB-imposed sentence. His girlfriend has changed her account. And he has not been convicted of anything, or even charged.

Let's say two of the Cubs' future (and current) stars, say Rizzo and Bryant, get drunk after a game and are accused of abuse by a couple of women at a nightclub. MLB suspends them 30 games each, but the victims change their stories and no charges are ever filed. Are you in favor of the Cubs dumping them immediately? If not, why not? It should be the exact same thing: You don't want abusers on the team -- period.

Hey, in the end, Scoop is all about opinion. And my opinion is that the trade was a total no-brainer. You and I are, of course, allowed to have different opinions.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #713 on: July 29, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »

"Proof' never stopped anybody around here before.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #714 on: July 29, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »

The Ricketts (rightly) stay out of baseball decisions. But this was not only a baseball decision. The Cubs admitted as much with the "he's a better man, a repentant man and we discussed at length" statement by Ricketts and Epstein. Unfortunately for them, Chapman didn't remember the supposed conversation. Whoops.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #715 on: July 29, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »
Manny Macahdo took advantage of some over zealous shifting today and scored from first on a groundout.  That's right.  A groundout.  Pretty great play by a pretty great player. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #716 on: July 30, 2016, 07:12:06 AM »

Let's say two of the Cubs' future (and current) stars, say Rizzo and Bryant, get drunk after a game and are accused of abuse by a couple of women at a nightclub. MLB suspends them 30 games each, but the victims change their stories and no charges are ever filed. Are you in favor of the Cubs dumping them immediately? If not, why not? It should be the exact same thing: You don't want abusers on the team -- period.

Hey, in the end, Scoop is all about opinion. And my opinion is that the trade was a total no-brainer. You and I are, of course, allowed to have different opinions.

You must have me mistaken for someone else. I never criticized the Cubs for making the trade, and said most fans of most teams would be acting exactly the same as most Cubs fans are about this.
But let's not try to put lipstick on a pig here by 1) Minimizing Chapman's behavior and 2) Making awful analogies to excuse him and/or the Cubs.
The Cubs traded for a possibly bad guy for the sake of winning. Period. Not a dirty player like Rodman. Not an unpleasant personality. A bad human being. And many, many Cubs fans will embrace him for the sake of winning. I say that without judgment. If admitting that makes you or any Cubs fan uncomfortable, that's on you guys.

As for Chapman not being charged and/or his victim changing her account, I suspect you're versed well enough in these matters to know that those things mean little in domestic violence cases. Victims with sad frequency change their stories, ask that charges not be filed and refuse to cooperate with police for any number of reasons. It hardly qualifies as exoneration for the perpetrator.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #717 on: July 30, 2016, 09:24:48 AM »
Manny Macahdo took advantage of some over zealous shifting today and scored from first on a groundout.  That's right.  A groundout.  Pretty great play by a pretty great player.

Machado's awesome.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/192484944/manny-machado-scores-from-1st-on-groundout/

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #718 on: July 30, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »
You must have me mistaken for someone else. I never criticized the Cubs for making the trade, and said most fans of most teams would be acting exactly the same as most Cubs fans are about this.
But let's not try to put lipstick on a pig here by 1) Minimizing Chapman's behavior and 2) Making awful analogies to excuse him and/or the Cubs.
The Cubs traded for a possibly bad guy for the sake of winning. Period. Not a dirty player like Rodman. Not an unpleasant personality. A bad human being. And many, many Cubs fans will embrace him for the sake of winning. I say that without judgment. If admitting that makes you or any Cubs fan uncomfortable, that's on you guys.

As for Chapman not being charged and/or his victim changing her account, I suspect you're versed well enough in these matters to know that those things mean little in domestic violence cases. Victims with sad frequency change their stories, ask that charges not be filed and refuse to cooperate with police for any number of reasons. It hardly qualifies as exoneration for the perpetrator.

Can someone embrace the results Chapman brings without embracing the player himself? I hate what he was accused of doing and didn't love the value the team gave up to get him (although I understand it).

However, I've been a diehard fan my entire life and the meaning a World Series appearance and win would have is beyond words. He obviously would likely play a huge role in that. I can't just remove myself from the team and wanting them to win, even if he is a part of it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #719 on: July 30, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »

And you must have me confused with a Cubs fan who gives a rat's rump whether they win or not.

And yes, I am well aware that victims change their stories for any number of reasons, and that it does not exonerate the perpetrator.

We do not know that Chapman is a "bad guy." Does he have a history of abusing women or was this an isolated incident? (I honestly don't know.) Is anybody who has one isolated incident, gets punished, serves the punishment and then never repeats the act automatically a "bad human being" forever and ever and ever?

No lipstick on a pig from this objective observer. The Cubs traded for the best closer in baseball and didn't have to give up a single piece of this year's team or next year's team to get him. It was a baseball move. The guy's not an ax murderer, so Theo thought it was OK to get Chapman.

I actually think we are 99% in agreement on all of this.

Now, if in the future Theo passes on a player with a similarly checkered past or even moreso if he criticizes another GM for signing a similar player, that's another story. The story of hypocrisy.

The Cubs have a much better chance to win the World Series today than they did two weeks ago. And yes, it's perfectly OK for Cubbie fans to celebrate after Chapman gets the last out and even to cheer him at Grant Park.

All IMHO, of course.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #720 on: July 30, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
Lucroy to Cleveland.  Details emerging.  Hr needs to waive his no trade.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #721 on: July 31, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
Lucroy to Cleveland.  Details emerging.  Hr needs to waive his no trade.

May be falling apart after Indians get Andrew Miller.

Indians v. Red Sox

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #722 on: July 31, 2016, 10:08:36 AM »
Lucroy rejected the trade.  Cards acquired Duke from the Sox.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #723 on: July 31, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
Lucroy made right decision.  Splitting the catching duties or playing 1B in Cleveland next year wouldl diminish his value.  Too bad Stearns needs to turn to Plan B.  It might not be a trade worth doing. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #724 on: July 31, 2016, 12:05:11 PM »
Wanted the Indians to pass up on next year's option AND a guarantee of playing catcher in the future. So much for the "I just want to be on a winning team" narrative he told us so much about over the past 6 months.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback