[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 168556 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #625 on: July 25, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
Free agency doesnt matter.  That doesnt help your team now.  They could have gotten a non rental in Miller but wouldnt trade Schwarber.  This was their next best option.

FA doesn't matter when you look at it through the lens of just one season. But when you look at the bigger picture it matters a lot, and that's the way this FO has always approached building this team.  They just traded their best prospect (and more) for a rental reliever and you could even argue that Chapman's impact is pretty small.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #626 on: July 25, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
I'm not a Cubs fan, but as a baseball fan, love this trade for the Cubs (on the field at least). To me the key to success in sports is to self scout. The Cubs are positioned nicely up the middle, they have quality assets in the minors to acquire a know superstar (on the field) reliever. They can only try to win this year's WS at this point, they keep Chapman from going possibly to Washington, to me it's a no brainier.

All that said, I wouldn't be buying a Chapman jersey.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #627 on: July 25, 2016, 02:39:51 PM »
I question the move because, to me, it contradicts two things this FO has constantly preached. The first is their belief in the best way to win a WS is to win year in and year out and get in to the playoffs.  IMO, this does not accomplish that.  Secondly, they have always put character and make-up as one of their top priorities, so has Maddon.  This move clearly is at odds with that philosophy.

Also, signing anyone with the accusations that Chapman has filed against him is not a "total no-brainer".

Exactly. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #628 on: July 25, 2016, 02:46:44 PM »
When did he vow to be a better person? He apologized for having a gun and claims that he has now gotten rid of it. He never apologized for shoving/choking his girlfriend. In fact, he claimed to have never touched her during the incident, which is different than what he had originally told police.

If a loved one of yours was in the position of his girlfriend, would you be so quick to forgive and forget?

Bottom line: I don't want a guy like that on my team. I hope the Cubs win in spite of him.

OK, you seem to know more about the situation than I do. Apparently, Chapman is a lowlife douchebag who should have been suspended longer.

Having said that, I still think it's a total no-brainer for the Cubs.

I'm not a Cubbie fan, never have been and never will be, but if I were, I would absolutely trust Theo Epstein.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #629 on: July 25, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »
This is a good baseball move. Rondon has been struggling in close save spots, but has been glistening elsewhere. Think this gets him more innings by giving him the 8th to himself.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #630 on: July 25, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
What a move by Brian Cashman.  He turned Eric Jagielo and Rookie Davis into Mckinney and Torres.  No way that deal gets made straight up.

And gets Warren back, so he effectively also gets Starlin Castro in the deal.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #631 on: July 25, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »
OK, you seem to know more about the situation than I do. Apparently, Chapman is a lowlife douchebag who should have been suspended longer.

Having said that, I still think it's a total no-brainer for the Cubs.

I'm not a Cubbie fan, never have been and never will be, but if I were, I would absolutely trust Theo Epstein.

I'm a huge Cubs fan and have completely trusted Esptein and the front office since they took over.  I was always completely on board with "the plan".  I understand things change when you are World Series contender and I am not opposed to trading prospect currency.  That's what it is there for when you get this close. 

However, I do think trading Torres for a two-month rental is too much.  Chapman could just as easily have no impact whatsoever in the post-season, leave as a free agent, and then you don't have Torres as a chip for getting a cost-controlled starter, which this team will eventually need. 

When you add the domestic issues on top of that I just don't think I'll be able to root for the guy personally.  I'm trying to figure out a way to reconcile my disgust with Chapman for my love of the team. 

I also think the team could have still won it all without going in this particular direction. 

I'll be very curious to hear Epstein's and Ricketts' take on the trade and the off-the-field aspect. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #632 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
Again, there are reports ALL over that the Cubs are pushing for an extension to be signed.  If thats the case, it makes more sense, aligns more with Epstein's long term vision, and makes this a great move.  Could still be a rental, but I'm going to wait to pass judgement till I find out.  This doesn't feel like CC with the Brewers just yet.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #633 on: July 25, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »
There's zero chance Chapman is signing an extension before the season ends. I would focus strictly on 2016 if I was a Cubs fan.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #634 on: July 25, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »
I'll be very curious to hear Epstein's and Ricketts' take on the trade and the off-the-field aspect.

They'll give some canned spiel about how everyone makes mistakes, there were no charges filed, he's shown remorse, etc. In the end though, they simply don't care about anything other than whether or not he can help the team win. While in Boston, Theo signed Eric Gagne and Brendan Donnelly knowing full well that both were PEDs guys (not to mention all the users already on the roster). That stuff simply doesn't matter. His job is to build a team that will win a World Series. Personally, I'd prefer it if my favorite MLB team had some higher standards than that, but that's not the nature of the business.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #635 on: July 25, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
Trying to figure out how our Cub friends are going to root for the team but not the player. Are they going to root for Chapman to blow the save in the 9th and then have the team win it in the 10th? Are they only going to attend Cub games when Chapman is not rested and they know he won't pitch?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #636 on: July 25, 2016, 04:09:18 PM »
Cubs fans are excited to cheer for a guy that beat a girl.  Disturbing.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #637 on: July 25, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
When did he vow to be a better person? He apologized for having a gun and claims that he has now gotten rid of it. He never apologized for shoving/choking his girlfriend. In fact, he claimed to have never touched her during the incident, which is different than what he had originally told police.

I have never seen any report that Chapman's denial was "different than what he had originally told police." Do you have a link to support this statement?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #638 on: July 25, 2016, 05:00:50 PM »

Ehhh ... I'm far from a Cubs fan, but I have a hard time thinking they're much different from any other fan base in this regard. I'd have a hard time finding a single group out there that hasn't embraced an unlikable criminal who brought their team wins.

As for the trade itself, there's some risk involved for the Cubs to be sure, but even if Chapman doesn't re-sign in the offseason, the Cubs will end up getting a decent compensatory pick out of it.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #639 on: July 25, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
Ehhh ... I'm far from a Cubs fan, but I have a hard time thinking they're much different from any other fan base in this regard. I'd have a hard time finding a single group out there that hasn't embraced an unlikable criminal who brought their team wins.

As for the trade itself, there's some risk involved for the Cubs to be sure, but even if Chapman doesn't re-sign in the offseason, the Cubs will end up getting a decent compensatory pick out of it.

Unfortunately for the Cubs, players traded mid-season are ineligible for the qualifying offer, so he's an expensive 2-3 month rental.

I'm looking at Chapman as a hired mercenary. Certainly not excited about the Cubs adding a guy that's probably a woman-beater, but the reality is I'm a Cubs fan and won't stop cheering for the team when he pitches, and I'm certainly not going to chastise the front office for acquiring the top relief arm on the market, despite the obvious character questions. Not sure if it's the cost of doing business in sports these days, or me trying to rationalize cheering for Chapman, but that's where I'm at today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #640 on: July 25, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »
I'm a huge Cubs fan and have completely trusted Esptein and the front office since they took over.  I was always completely on board with "the plan".  I understand things change when you are World Series contender and I am not opposed to trading prospect currency.  That's what it is there for when you get this close. 

However, I do think trading Torres for a two-month rental is too much.  Chapman could just as easily have no impact whatsoever in the post-season, leave as a free agent, and then you don't have Torres as a chip for getting a cost-controlled starter, which this team will eventually need. 

When you add the domestic issues on top of that I just don't think I'll be able to root for the guy personally.  I'm trying to figure out a way to reconcile my disgust with Chapman for my love of the team. 

I also think the team could have still won it all without going in this particular direction. 

Okey dokey, VBMG. You're entitled to your opinion and I understand the points you're making.

I will be very curious to hear if you celebrate the Cubs' first championship since 1908 now that they've stooped so low. Especially if Chapman is World Series MVP for saving all four games in spectacular fashion!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #641 on: July 25, 2016, 05:54:37 PM »
Unfortunately for the Cubs, players traded mid-season are ineligible for the qualifying offer, so he's an expensive 2-3 month rental.

D'oh. Forgot that.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #642 on: July 25, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »

Ehhh, pump the brakes on that statement. I'm by no means a cubs fan and I don't even think that. However, on that same note, I find it ironic how chicagoans are so quick to forgive Patrick Kane but are so against Chapman.

However, to say you cheer for the organization but not the player is just silly. The originization deemed that it was fine to take guys with a checkered past, you cant play both sides because it was the organizations decision to bring him in in spite of his apparent character issues.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #643 on: July 25, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »

http://deadspin.com/5019197/smack-my-bitch-up-major-league-baseballs-continuing-domestic-abuse-problem

MLB-- like all sports-- is littered with a$$holes.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:30:13 PM by WI inferiority Complexes »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #644 on: July 25, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »
Okey dokey, VBMG. You're entitled to your opinion and I understand the points you're making.

I will be very curious to hear if you celebrate the Cubs' first championship since 1908 now that they've stooped so low. Especially if Chapman is World Series MVP for saving all four games in spectacular fashion!

That's a bit of hyperbole on your part. Is it not ok to be conflicted about a move like this?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #645 on: July 25, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »
Ehhh, pump the brakes on that statement. I'm by no means a cubs fan and I don't even think that. However, on that same note, I find it ironic how chicagoans are so quick to forgive Patrick Kane but are so against Chapman.

However, to say you cheer for the organization but not the player is just silly. The originization deemed that it was fine to take guys with a checkered past, you cant play both sides because it was the organizations decision to bring him in in spite of his apparent character issues.

I think with Kane it was a matter of time passing after the cabbie incident in which he cleaned up his act mostly until the incident last year in Buffalo in which he was subsequently cleared of charges. So it makes it a bit easier to reconcile when he's before an MVP player. I know a lot of Hawks fans who are still uneasy about it.

With Chapman, it's still new and fresh and pending. If he stays out of further trouble, isn't convicted of further charges, it will likely be pushed back.

And unfortunately, if you're a fan of any NFL team, you likely unintentionally support any number of crapty individuals, albeit lower profile. I think you can support an organization and root for success without condoning bad behavior. As far as it being a "black mark" on any potential playoff success the Cubs might have, I think that's a bit extreme. He was deemed worthy of the no facial hair allowing Yankees for gods sake.

brandx

« Reply #646 on: July 25, 2016, 06:41:59 PM »

They will say whatever is necessary. Theo has already built a team that is positioned well for the future. Bottom line is that winning matters and this is a move to win it all THIS year.

Both teams got a good deal with neither giving up anything that will hurt their chances of winning this year or next. Yankees are going nowhere and can resign Chapman. None of the four the Cubs gave up is in their plans for this year or next.

It was really a 1-for-1. Warren is the kind of guy you can sign anytime. McKinney projects as a 4th OFer. Strictly end of the bench type guys.

So giving up Torres for Chapman to try to win it all this year is a no-brainer. At least on the baseball side of the ledger.

As far as a person, I am all for giving someone a 2nd chance if they served their punishment. That is assuming, however, they admit what they did and express remorse. Chapman has done neither. He is an abuser of woman and I fully expect it will happen again at some point in the future. If it would have been up to me, the suspension would have been at least for a year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #647 on: July 25, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
Look, from an outside perspective. Cubs have the talent to win this year, especially if they go down to a 4 man rotation in the playoffs.

All things considered, they are pretty healthy, are very likely to make the playoffs and they addressed the concern that was their bullpen with Montgomery and Chapman. It's been a looong time since 1908, if your the Cubs organization you do everything on your power to win right now. All it takes is 1 to get the ball rolling, just look at the Blackhawks.

Also, let's hold off on the Torres is the best prospect in the system. So was Felix Pie, and Brian Anderson for the White Sox, look where that got them, and they were in AAA at the time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #648 on: July 25, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
That's a bit of hyperbole on your part. Is it not ok to be conflicted about a move like this?

Of course it is.

I'm just saying that if I were a Cubbie fan, I'd be totally thrilled by this no-brainer of a trade.

You, on the other hand, are conflicted ... but you will still be happy to attend (or at least watch) the Grant Park celebration if it happens. And that's cool!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #649 on: July 25, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
Nm.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:49:14 AM by buckchuckler »

feedback