[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM AD bans team from post-season play  (Read 6319 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: UWM AD bans team from post-season play
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »
Can't blame either side in this case. The CBI can be pricey, and they start charging more each round. You can't exactly bow out along the way, but you could easily drop hundreds of thousands. Hard to swallow that pill at a cash-strapped school that's not going to make the money back by selling out the games.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »
  what am i missing here?  besides this statement-

"our option with a fifth-place Horizon League finish is to participate in some other events that are not in the best interests of our program this year."

so after commending the players/student athletes for their off court accomplishments, are they ABOVE participating in a tournament other than the ncaa and nit?  i mean, it's still good pub for the school and presumptuous of her to disallow the players from post season play.  she may not think it's importamnt, but the players might.  this is just weird.  whenever something doesn't seem right, scratchin my melon...whenever in doubt, follow the money...hmmmmmmm... baby needs new shoes??

don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
Can't blame either side in this case. The CBI can be pricey, and they start charging more each round. You can't exactly bow out along the way, but you could easily drop hundreds of thousands. Hard to swallow that pill at a cash-strapped school that's not going to make the money back by selling out the games.

Budget cuts to UW system. They've been struggling with these lately.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 06:19:09 PM »

UWM has run a poorly managed athletic department long before your talking point.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »

I agree. Paying to play is definitely a NO GO for the cash strapped UW system.

SS Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 10:43:59 PM »
I agree. Paying to play is definitely a NO GO for the cash strapped UW system.

The last river needing tears is the UW system

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 05:04:20 AM »
 UW-madison sure doesn't have prob;ems with cash-i'm not just saying the athletic dept., but didn't they have this big pile of cash and were admonished for continuing to raise tuition?  call big brotha for a little of that love-ein'a
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
My understanding is that donors were willing to underwrite the CBI.  I don't know if it is to the tune of 100% however.

But their athletic department has been incompetent for years. 

brandx

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 02:28:46 PM »
UWM has run a poorly managed athletic department long before your talking point.

UWM's share of the budget cut was $30 MIILLION.

Not to mention another $20 MILLION that was promised by the state to put faculty and equipment in the new schools of freshwater science and public health that the state agreed to build. The $20 million never materialized, so UWM had to pull the money from its budget.

These are the FACTS!!

Tell me where the talking point is.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
I thought  revenue sports like Mens BB were self funding.  If a tourney trip will not pay for itself, it doesn't happen.

Didn't Marquette have an opportunity to do the CBI last year, and decide against it?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »

Not to mention another $20 MILLION that was promised by the state to put faculty and equipment in the new schools of freshwater science and public health that the state agreed to build. The $20 million never materialized, so UWM had to pull the money from its budget.

These are the FACTS!!

Academics is separate from athletics for funding, so your stats are noise.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »
Academics is separate from athletics for funding, so your stats are noise.

Not necessarily.  There are costs that are appropriate for state funding that impact the athletic department.  There isn't a wall between the two.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »

These are the FACTS!!

Did Mike Lovell leave behind a steaming turd or did he get out of Dodge while the gettin' was good?

UWM athletics is what it is and most of the world is blissfully unaware.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »
UWM has been trying to transform itself over the past 15-20 years from a typical urban commuter school, into a research University second in the state only to Madison.  That has been a very difficult and expensive process.  They have been trying to be more attractive to "traditional" students by increasing on-campus housing, additional scholarships for high merit students, more endowments to recruit top-level faculty, etc.  Part of this was to transform their athletic program as well.

Some of it has worked.  They have a Carnegie research designation.  But their student attendance continues to struggle quantity wise, and quality wise isn't really any better than their UW comprehensive counterparts.  They have some decent benefactors, but they don't raise that much money considering their status. 

And athletics over the past half decade has been a dismal failure for the past decade.  Mismanagement, lack of money, lack of facilities...

Lovell?  He did good work there, but there is really only so much they can do.  If they want to become what they want to become, the state is going to have to invest a lot more and I just don't see that happening.  He did make some poor hires in the athletic department.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
Did Mike Lovell leave behind a steaming turd or did he get out of Dodge while the gettin' was good?

UWM athletics is what it is and most of the world is blissfully unaware.

This is why he got out of Dodge.  Marquette is building a $120 million Sports Science complex, while UWM and is serving Crisco sandwiches.  Compare and contrast.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
UWM can't even attract the interest of its students. That school is what it is: a commuter college.

Why the taxpayers should be asked to support the sports program at that school is beyond me.

The Wisconsin system has numerous campuses. As a GE guy I would look at that and see fixed cost leverage opportunity just waiting to happen. Wisconsin should pare down that system to 2-3 campuses total and robust the distance learning for those who won't or can't leave home.

In an age of diminishing resources leaders need to be realistic about what can and should be funded.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
UWM can't even attract the interest of its students. That school is what it is: a commuter college.

Why the taxpayers should be asked to support the sports program at that school is beyond me.

The Wisconsin system has numerous campuses. As a GE guy I would look at that and see fixed cost leverage opportunity just waiting to happen. Wisconsin should pare down that system to 2-3 campuses total and robust the distance learning for those who won't or can't leave home.

In an age of diminishing resources leaders need to be realistic about what can and should be funded.

2 to 3 is too small unless your goal is to severely curtail enrollment statewide. 

If you are going to maintain enrollment reasonably at current levels, the only way you can do that is to build a crapload of new residence halls, classrooms, faculty offices, etc. at the selected campuses.  Why do that when you have that infrastructure already existing across the state?

That being said, if you went back in time to build the System from scratch, you would probably have about 6-8 campuses.  13 is too many and campuses like Superior and Parkside could reasonably be closed with their enrollments absorbed by the rest of the System.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »

2 to 3 is too small unless your goal is to severely curtail enrollment statewide. 

If you are going to maintain enrollment reasonably at current levels, the only way you can do that is to build a crapload of new residence halls, classrooms, faculty offices, etc. at the selected campuses.  Why do that when you have that infrastructure already existing across the state?

That being said, if you went back in time to build the System from scratch, you would probably have about 6-8 campuses.  13 is too many and campuses like Superior and Parkside could reasonably be closed with their enrollments absorbed by the rest of the System.

Fittingly, UWM's biggest initiative for 2016 was going to be the creation of a time travel device. Unfortunately, they don't have the resources at this point.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »

What the could and should do (maybe they do, not well versed in the UW system) is consolidate classes across campuses remotely so that one professor can teach at multiple campuses for those courses that are redundant.

So Phil 101 should be taught by a single professor at Oskosh, but can be attended by students in Superior or Parkside virtually. So there is a classroom in each location(since it's already there) that students go to and there is local support in the form of professors and/or TAs...but you could save money by not having to pay 7 professors to teach the same courses at the various campuses.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
And Jeter is fired:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/rob-jeter-fired-as-uwm-mens-basketball-coach-b99689696z1-372401751.html

From the article: "He has worked under six athletic directors and interim ADs since being hired by Bud Haidet in 2005 to replace Bruce Pearl, who left the Panthers for the University of Tennessee."

How can a department succeed with AD turnover like that?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 03:41:45 PM »
How can a department succeed with AD turnover like that?

You can't.  And many of those decisions were made by Lovell.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

You can't.  And many of those decisions were made by Lovell.

How do you figure that? Mike Lovell was only in charge there for 3 years.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 05:55:55 PM »
How do you figure that? Mike Lovell was only in charge there for 3 years.

He was interim when Costello was hired. He brought in the doofus from Ohio state after Costello was let go. He hired Braun.

feedback