[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM AD bans team from post-season play  (Read 6320 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: UWM AD bans team from post-season play
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »

He was interim when Costello was hired. He brought in the doofus from Ohio state after Costello was let go. He hired Braun.

Well. I am no math whiz, but two hires out of six doesn't sound like "most" to me.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 06:39:46 PM »
Well. I am no math whiz, but two hires out of six doesn't sound like "most" to me.

Well I'm no reading expert, but I didn't say "most." 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 06:49:24 PM »

Well I'm no reading expert, but I didn't say "most."

My bad.

Let me amend my comment:  Two hiring decisions is not "many".  I am not sure it even qualifies as "several".
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
He also brought in the guy from OSU. That is part of the six they mention.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »
Opinion piece by Gary D'Amato stating that Jeter was hosed.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/jeter-didnt-deserve-ugly-ending-at-uwm-b99689757z1-372494571.html

Essentially the AD has lost the program's biggest booster.

Also mentions that boosters would have covered the CBI costs so the "budget cut" claims are a canard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/jeter-didnt-deserve-ugly-ending-at-uwm-b99689757z1-372494571.html

Also mentions that boosters would have covered the CBI costs so the "budget cut" claims are a canard.

My guess is that the real reason they didn't want the team to play in the CBI is that they had already made the decision to can him and a) they wanted to get a head start on finding his replacement, b) it would have been harder to fire him if they had done well in the tourney or c) both
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »

2 to 3 is too small unless your goal is to severely curtail enrollment statewide. 

If you are going to maintain enrollment reasonably at current levels, the only way you can do that is to build a crapload of new residence halls, classrooms, faculty offices, etc. at the selected campuses.  Why do that when you have that infrastructure already existing across the state?

That being said, if you went back in time to build the System from scratch, you would probably have about 6-8 campuses.  13 is too many and campuses like Superior and Parkside could reasonably be closed with their enrollments absorbed by the rest of the System.

I didn't know the actual number of campuses - I am even more surprised that there are 13 - so I would agree that the system is too large by a half.

Fixed cost leverage is a key metric for both GE and PepsiCo - I know this because I worked in Strat Planning for both. I guarantee that 13 cost centers offers incredible opportunity to reduce costs.

There are many things I don't know about the UW system but while at Marquette I was a part of ASMU and attended some sort of student govt convocation. I recall a guy from UW Stout telling us that he was majoring in Welding Technology. There is a difference between could and should but either would be legitimate inflections in an era of declining resources.

I have always maintained that the US would be better served with the European system of offering both a technical and academic track.  Brits finish up O-Levels then commence an apprenticeship.

In my main project around alt fuels it is apparent that there is a decreasing number of skilled industrial technicians. Because we are on the MSFT campus it is also clear that devs not only don't need a four year degree but wear the lack of one as a badge of honor.

There is an emerging need for systematic technical training that doesn't work within the traditional American model. In the case of coders and devs a form of the British O-Levels and German Realschule would not only prepare kids for careers in Ones ad Zeros but would be something they would actually embrace.

Walk around the MSFT campus and there are far more devs speaking Hindi, Russian, and Mandarin than there are speaking English. 

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »
My guess is that the real reason they didn't want the team to play in the CBI is that they had already made the decision to can him and a) they wanted to get a head start on finding his replacement, b) it would have been harder to fire him if they had done well in the tourney or c) both

Nothing like a freshly stitched banner to hang in the garage to take the sting out of getting fired.

Kinda like the Andes Mint the waiter gives you after a rather poorly done meal. Palate cleaners take many forms other than chocolate.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 01:35:29 PM »

There are many things I don't know about the UW system but while at Marquette I was a part of ASMU and attended some sort of student govt convocation. I recall a guy from UW Stout telling us that he was majoring in Welding Technology. There is a difference between could and should but either would be legitimate inflections in an era of declining resources.

If I have my facts straight, all of the "dash" schools in the UW system started out as junior colleges.  The idea was that you went to those for two years and then transferred to Madison to get your bachelor's degree.  I know that UWM was a 2-year school in the 50's, and I seem to remember that UW-Parkside was more of a community college when I was a student in the '80's.

At some point they decided to convert most or all of them to 4-year schools.  It looks to me like that was accomplished with varying degrees of success. 
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »
If I have my facts straight, all of the "dash" schools in the UW system started out as junior colleges.  The idea was that you went to those for two years and then transferred to Madison to get your bachelor's degree.  I know that UWM was a 2-year school in the 50's, and I seem to remember that UW-Parkside was more of a community college when I was a student in the '80's.

At some point they decided to convert most or all of them to 4-year schools.  It looks to me like that was accomplished with varying degrees of success. 

Not quite true.

UW-Madison was a land grant University.  UW-Green Bay and UW-Parkside were branches of UW-Madison that made up the original University of Wisconsin System.  (Along with all of the current two year schools and the UW Extention.)

All of the other UW schools (minus Stout) started as "normal schools" for teacher preparation.  Back in the day, teachers didn't need bachelor's degrees but only a teaching certificate that took two or three years.  In the 1920s, all of these normal schools changed to "teacher's colleges" because bachelor's degree were now required.  By the 1950s these schools became "Wisconsin State Universities" and were their own stand alone System.

UW-Stout was a private school that offered technical education.  The State bought it and merged it into the Teachers Colleges sometime in the early 1900s.  UWM was actually the merger of a few teacher prep schools but that's neither here nor there.  Fun fact:  UWM was in the conference that is now the WIAC and were known as the "Green Gulls" with colors green and white.

In the early 1970s, the State merged the Wisconsin State System into the UW System.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »

Fran isn't the biggest booster?  Has someone informed him yet?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
Jester is a good man and class act.  I was lucky to have worked with him when he was on Deane's staff.   

Edit:  My fast typing didn't help me

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:19:34 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
I didn't know the actual number of campuses - I am even more surprised that there are 13 - so I would agree that the system is too large by a half.

Fixed cost leverage is a key metric for both GE and PepsiCo - I know this because I worked in Strat Planning for both. I guarantee that 13 cost centers offers incredible opportunity to reduce costs.

I have always maintained that the US would be better served with the European system of offering both a technical and academic track.  Brits finish up O-Levels then commence an apprenticeship.

In my main project around alt fuels it is apparent that there is a decreasing number of skilled industrial technicians. Because we are on the MSFT campus it is also clear that devs not only don't need a four year degree but wear the lack of one as a badge of honor.

There is an emerging need for systematic technical training that doesn't work within the traditional American model. In the case of coders and devs a form of the British O-Levels and German Realschule would not only prepare kids for careers in Ones ad Zeros but would be something they would actually embrace.

Walk around the MSFT campus and there are far more devs speaking Hindi, Russian, and Mandarin than there are speaking English.

This has largely been my contention for years. Network architecture/infrastructure as well as cyber security don't require 4 year "balanced" degrees with arts and philosophy, etc. Same with coders and developers. CB design doesn't require someone to get an EE, we've just decided it should. I would scale back the 4 year university system within the US and refocus resources to the technical colleges and a technical track within high schools. You don't even have to be particularly smart to do some of these things, just be trained in them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
Jester is a good man and class act.  I was lucky to have worked him when he was on Deane's staff.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »

Not quite true.

UW-Madison was a land grant University.  UW-Green Bay and UW-Parkside were branches of UW-Madison that made up the original University of Wisconsin System.  (Along with all of the current two year schools and the UW Extention.)

All of the other UW schools (minus Stout) started as "normal schools" for teacher preparation.  Back in the day, teachers didn't need bachelor's degrees but only a teaching certificate that took two or three years.  In the 1920s, all of these normal schools changed to "teacher's colleges" because bachelor's degree were now required.  By the 1950s these schools became "Wisconsin State Universities" and were their own stand alone System.

UW-Stout was a private school that offered technical education.  The State bought it and merged it into the Teachers Colleges sometime in the early 1900s.  UWM was actually the merger of a few teacher prep schools but that's neither here nor there.  Fun fact:  UWM was in the conference that is now the WIAC and were known as the "Green Gulls" with colors green and white.

In the early 1970s, the State merged the Wisconsin State System into the UW System.

I stand corrected. 
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »

Fun fact:  UWM was in the conference that is now the WIAC and were known as the "Green Gulls" with colors green and white.

UWM was the "Green Goyim" when Golda Meir was a student there.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2016, 04:18:57 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »

Fun fact:  UWM was in the conference that is now the WIAC and were known as the "Green Gulls" with colors green and white.

They've had as many nicknames as MU, it seems.

The Normals, was the first nickname.
The Green Gulls
In the mid 50's became the Cardinals, right around the time we became the Warriors
Mid 60's, colors changes from Cardinal and White, to black and gold = Panthers

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2016, 04:25:04 PM »

The Normals, was the first nickname.

That is really f#cked up, actually.

Death on call