[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2016-17 Schedule  (Read 69388 times)

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
Re: 2016-17 Schedule
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »
Right now we have one true rival that is Wisconsin, in that they care about beating us as much as we care about beating them. I put all the other games in the category of good games that we would like to schedule as much as possible.  At this point the double round robin of the Big East will serve to create rivalries.  It will take some time for that to play out.

I graduated in 1996.   I've never viewed ND as much of a rival.  I don't even recall if MU played ND while I was there.   Right now the only school I feel a real rivalry with is Wisconsin.   Louisville and Cincinnati were definitely rivals in the past.    I'm waiting for a sense of rivalry to develop with other Big East teams.  I guess right now Georgetown and Xavier are the two Big East teams I dislike the most.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »
I'm curious as to what the generational viewpoint of rivals is. I've always said for me the biggest rivals were (in order of loathing and desire to play): Wisconsin, Louisville, Cincinnati with ND problem 4 or 5 on the list. I came of MU age in the Crean/"old" BE era. Modern grads might think differently, so might old fogeys like MU82

Went from 09-14 here and I always viewed ND as almost on par with UW. I didn't like ville or Cinci but I didn't really think of them as rivals.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
Didn't Brey say he wanted to continue playing us? Must be from ND's AD and such.

Unless he has changed his mind in the last couple of years, it's exactly the opposite.  Back then,  I heard it straight from the MU AD that everyone on both sides was on board except for Mike Brey.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
Right now we have one true rival that is Wisconsin, in that they care about beating us as much as we care about beating them. I put all the other games in the category of good games that we would like to schedule as much as possible.  At this point the double round robin of the Big East will serve to create rivalries.  It will take some time for that to play out.

Agree.  A few years back, we had pretty good rivalries with UC and UL, but I haven't seen anything in the current BE that I'd call a legitimate rivalry.  Maybe when we get our mojo back, we can develop good rivalries with Nova or other top BE teams....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
I'm curious as to what the generational viewpoint of rivals is. I've always said for me the biggest rivals were (in order of loathing and desire to play): Wisconsin, Louisville, Cincinnati with ND problem 4 or 5 on the list. I came of MU age in the Crean/"old" BE era. Modern grads might think differently, so might old fogeys like MU82

1. Wisconsin  2. Notre Dame  3. Anyone else.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »
When I was in school, Wisconsin and Notre Dame were pretty equal as rivals in my eyes. Hated them both. Still do, but Wisconsin has firmly taken the lead over ND. If we were to start playing ND again, I think it would even back out.

I don't know who our conference rival will be in the future. There's too much BEast love right now for them to develop. Hopefully the league becomes more established and we can stop loving each other and start the hate!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2016, 12:19:27 PM »
There's too much BEast love right now for them to develop.

Next time we play Villanova, who are we even suppose to root for  :D

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2016, 12:35:02 PM »
Personally, I think Creighton is in the driver seat to win the team I hate in the Big East. We aren't there yet but I've had enough bad interactions with their fans now to really see how I could hate them in the future.

Other than that I'm generally a fan of the other teams. DePaul is such a clown show I can't hate them, just pity them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »
Next time we play Villanova, who are we even suppose to root for  :D

Well played.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2016, 12:57:11 PM »
Ugh... I can't stand X.
They are good but for some reason the last few years I've just been so annoyed with them and it's completely baseless. Except when watching the games this year Farr was always jawing and yelling toward our players after dunks.

The worst part, Bill Murray is one of my favorites of all time.

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
I'm wondering if the hatred for ND comes more from where you grew up rather than when you attended Marquette.  I'm guessing those of you from the Chicago area might have much stronger feelings about ND than someone who grew up in northern WI, MN, etc..

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
I'm wondering if the hatred for ND comes more from where you grew up rather than when you attended Marquette.  I'm guessing those of you from the Chicago area might have much stronger feelings about ND than someone who grew up in northern WI, MN, etc..

Might be.  I'm not from the Chicago area, and to me, ND isn't a huge rival.  Even when we played in the BE together, I considered UL a much bigger rival.  The last time I considere MU-ND a really big deal was in the Al-Digger days.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »

True in two ways. A lot of Chicagoans grew up cheering FOR Notre Dame before they had any allegiance to MU. Conversely, if you didn't love ND, you hated 'em.   

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »

Really more of a factor of how many Domers you know personally.   ;D

Except for my BIL.  He is pretty cool.  You would never know he is a Notre Dame grad.  Contrary to the old joke, he never mentions it.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »

Except for my BIL.  He is pretty cool.  You would never know he is a Notre Dame grad.  Contrary to the old joke, he never mentions it.

Good point.  I only interact with one Domer regularly, and he's pretty chill about it. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »
I always thought a preseason Midwest Catholic invitational in Chicago would be cool.  Get Notre Dame, Marquette, Loyola (Chicago) and Dayton play each other at the UC for two days.  Three of the four have large Chicago fan-bases.  I'm guessing you wouldn't want two teams from a conference competing in it (hence no DePaul).

Even though Marquette is always guaranteed to play in Chicago, it would be a big recruiting advantage for both Notre Dame and Dayton - and heck, Loyola certainly could use the added exposure.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
I always thought a preseason Midwest Catholic invitational in Chicago would be cool.  Get Notre Dame, Marquette, Loyola (Chicago) and Dayton play each other at the UC for two days.  Three of the four have large Chicago fan-bases.  I'm guessing you wouldn't want two teams from a conference competing in it (hence no DePaul).

Even though Marquette is always guaranteed to play in Chicago, it would be a big recruiting advantage for both Notre Dame and Dayton - and heck, Loyola certainly could use the added exposure.

I am not sure the annual shellacking they would get would be good for their recruiting.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:24:30 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2016, 02:07:12 PM »

Kind of reminiscent of the old Chicago Stadium double headers.  I went to one in about '70 that included MU, USC, Loyola and Illinois.  I was too young to know anything about him at the time, but USC had a pretty talented kid named Paul Westphal. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »

I think you would need bigger schools than Loyola and Dayton.  I would ditch the Catholic concept.  Say ND v. Marquette and Illinois v. Louisville or something similar.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »
Notre Dame was far and away our biggest rival when I was at Marquette (1978-82), followed by DePaul. Wisconsin was so effen bad for so effen long, they were barely a rival. We generally didn't recruit the same kids, either.

Over the years, Wisconsin has grown as a rival because their program has grown into a perennial tournament team. And now they have surpassed us, at least since our S16-S16-E8 run. Plus, we're fighting for quite a few of the same recruits. So they're very hate-able.

I don't understand how somebody who went to Marquette when ND also was in the Big East can say ND wasn't much of a rival. We had some great battles and there still was the leftover stench of the old independent ND. I still root against them every time I see them, and that's in football, too. I would LOVE to play them again.

Louisville and Cinci grew to become pretty fierce rivals, and then Syracuse, Pitt, WV and UConn, too.

Now, among BE teams, Butler is right there. We seem to have some epic games against them. Always want to whup GT, as well. And as an earlier poster said, Creighton has become hate-able (from a fan's standpoint) for some reason.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »

I think you're onto something.  I only see 1 ND grad on a regular basis and he really doesn't talk about ND.   On the other hand, I know countless annoying Badger fans up there in western WI.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
Notre Dame was far and away our biggest rival when I was at Marquette (1978-82), followed by DePaul. Wisconsin was so effen bad for so effen long, they were barely a rival. We generally didn't recruit the same kids, either.

Over the years, Wisconsin has grown as a rival because their program has grown into a perennial tournament team. And now they have surpassed us, at least since our S16-S16-E8 run. Plus, we're fighting for quite a few of the same recruits. So they're very hate-able.

I don't understand how somebody who went to Marquette when ND also was in the Big East can say ND wasn't much of a rival. We had some great battles and there still was the leftover stench of the old independent ND. I still root against them every time I see them, and that's in football, too. I would LOVE to play them again.

Louisville and Cinci grew to become pretty fierce rivals, and then Syracuse, Pitt, WV and UConn, too.

Now, among BE teams, Butler is right there. We seem to have some epic games against them. Always want to whup GT, as well. And as an earlier poster said, Creighton has become hate-able (from a fan's standpoint) for some reason.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »
Big East doesn't provide us with those easy-to-hate teams anymore

100% agree.  I struggle to think of which teams in the league I hate the most...

Villanova?- too important for the league to cheer against
Georgetown?- just as laughable as us since the split, but also a flagship school
Butler?- no deep-seeded hate yet
Creighton?- no deep seeded hate (yet), seen as a "brother" school
Xavier?- no deep seeded hate yet, despite ancient rivalry and recent conflicts (2011 tourney)
DePaul?- too crappy
St. Johns?- too crappy since the split, but they give me a bad vibe
Seton Hall?- used to be so bad, I cant help feeling good for them as a successful team, but they give me a bad vibe too
Providence?- I think this one has potential, but they need to beat us at least once first

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2016, 04:57:51 PM »
There are the B1G/ACC, Big12/SEC and the B1G/BigEast (Gavitt) challenge games. Why hasn't the PAC12 got in some kind of a challenge? Seems like a natural for the Big East and PAC12 both on FS1.
Just curious.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »

I think you would need bigger schools than Loyola and Dayton.  I would ditch the Catholic concept.  Say ND v. Marquette and Illinois v. Louisville or something similar.

This +1000.

MU playing the front end of a Saturday afternoon doubleheader at United Center would be great. I think it'd be tough to get ND, considering they play in the state of Indiana event every year, but I'd imagine MU wouldn't be hard pressed to find a quality opponent to come to Chicago.

A MU/Iowa State and Illinois/Louisville doubleheader would be fantastic in mid December.