[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2016-17 Schedule  (Read 69331 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: 2016-17 Schedule
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
Bummer no Gavitt game. Really want a showdown with Minny.

But the Vandy game is a great get!

Looks like a better schedule then last year so that's great
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »
Bummer no Gavitt game. Really want a showdown with Minny.

But the Vandy game is a great get!

Looks like a better schedule then last year so that's great

It all comes down to the cupcake games, though for the STHs, having another decent home game would probably also be nice. Not expecting that, though. Five high majors and two cupcakes from a pool of four means there are only 6 left to schedule, guessing those will be buy games, even though I'm hoping for 5 buys and one high major H/H starting at the BC.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »
Now that we have the makings of a good schedule, we need to actually win the games.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »
Is there a reason we don't schedule OOC games in January or February? Wasn't there a break in the Conference schedule last season where we didn't play for a week?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
Is there a reason we don't schedule OOC games in January or February? Wasn't there a break in the Conference schedule last season where we didn't play for a week?

I'm pretty sure the only break in the schedule is around Finals and the Holidays, where the players are studying or home with family for Christmas.

That is before the start of the conference schedule.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
It all comes down to the cupcake games, though for the STHs, having another decent home game would probably also be nice. Not expecting that, though. Five high majors and two cupcakes from a pool of four means there are only 6 left to schedule, guessing those will be buy games, even though I'm hoping for 5 buys and one high major H/H starting at the BC.

Yeah would be nice to get one more with a home game. That would be a killer schedule playing 6 resume builders.

How much is Vandy losing? I know they have NBA prospects everywhere but were a letdown. Only saw Baldwin leaving. What about the 7 footer?

Pitt will be a real bitch. Michigan returns talent but they don't kill with size so they are a good match up. SMU I know loses some guys.

Utah is very beatable too bad it's at their place.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
Yeah would be nice to get one more with a home game. That would be a killer schedule playing 6 resume builders.

How much is Vandy losing? I know they have NBA prospects everywhere but were a letdown. Only saw Baldwin leaving. What about the 7 footer?

Pitt will be a real bitch. Michigan returns talent but they don't kill with size so they are a good match up. SMU I know loses some guys.

Damian Jones has not declared yet but he is expected to and is being projected as a first round pick by many. Other than him and Baldwin, they return the rest of the contributors. I expect it to be a good matchup.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2016, 02:18:41 PM »
Damian Jones has not declared yet but he is expected to and is being projected as a first round pick by many. Other than him and Baldwin, they return the rest of the contributors. I expect it to be a good matchup.

Depends on your perspective...Jones did say he was leaving for the NBA after this year all the way back in October, though his stock seems to have slipped since.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2016, 02:44:56 PM »

Assuming the 6 remaining home games (almost assuredly all buy games) are against teams in the 150-260 range I'm very comfortable with the schedule. As a STH it kind of sucks to have all those name games on the road/neutral but I get it, STH, regardless of university get screwed on the non-con schedule.

With all those assumptions, really need to go 9-3 at a minimum to be in good position for the conference season.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »

Very few teams do because they are usually difficult to arrange. All the conferences are focusing on league games in those months, so you are working around figuring out not just what your league will do but what others will do. We did have the Stetson game this past season, and you do usually have a break in the conference schedule, but I'm not sure cramming a low-level cupcake is the best use of that time.

You do occasionally see the marquee non-con matchups (Duke/SJU in recent years) in those slots, but I wouldn't expect anyone to start planning parts of their season around those.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
Depends on your perspective...Jones did say he was leaving for the NBA after this year all the way back in October, though his stock seems to have slipped since.

I think Jones stays if he likes Drew, gone if he doesn't.  Likely would have stayed another year if Stellings was still there.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »
So we got:

Two of Michigan, Pittsburgh, and SMU. These will be in NYC as part of the 2K Classic.

Guessing Wojo will not be "liking" this matchup  ;)

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2016, 12:51:55 AM »
Still need to see who Marquette finishes filling the schedule with.  I was impressed with some of the good teams this year--Belmont, Iowa, LSU (based on ESPN-love, this win should have instantly gotten us in the Dance), Arizona St.  So at this point next year, I can't say I'm impressed with the schedule until I see the cupcakes.  This is where I really think the WCC and Big East need to partner up.  The WCC should agree to 2 road games for every home game, and each team gets 3 WCC-BE games.  This is much better than the crappy non-conference schedules. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
Still need to see who Marquette finishes filling the schedule with.  I was impressed with some of the good teams this year--Belmont, Iowa, LSU (based on ESPN-love, this win should have instantly gotten us in the Dance), Arizona St.  So at this point next year, I can't say I'm impressed with the schedule until I see the cupcakes. 

Exactly the way to look at it, imo.

If we have a trio of teams who are going to be sitting around 4-26 on the season, the schedule we know of to-date doesn't result in a "strong" "SOS" in the RPI world.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »
When was the last time our peeps approached ND's peeps about a possible H/H?

That's the one I want most!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »

Me too. This would cure any scheduling ailment.
I would even agree to a 2:1 just to get it going again.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
Me too. This would cure any scheduling ailment.
I would even agree to a 2:1 just to get it going again.

You might agree to that, but I like to think our peeps wouldn't agree to that. As much as I'd like to see the series re-started, I don't want us to "admit" we're the lesser program in the lesser league.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2016, 10:55:27 AM »
Understood--but if it reignites the rivalry I would do it--understanding most would not.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »

From what I was told, every year since ND left the Big East. And every year we got the same answer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
Didn't Brey say he wanted to continue playing us? Must be from ND's AD and such.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
From what I was told, every year since ND left the Big East. And every year we got the same answer.
ND will only schedule us if it is in their interest to do so. At this point they have no upside and only downside playing us.

A United Center game with tickets split evenly could be a possible compromise. 
            ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »
I'm curious as to what the generational viewpoint of rivals is. I've always said for me the biggest rivals were (in order of loathing and desire to play): Wisconsin, Louisville, Cincinnati with ND problem 4 or 5 on the list. I came of MU age in the Crean/"old" BE era. Modern grads might think differently, so might old fogeys like MU82
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2016, 11:35:18 AM »
Right now we have one true rival that is Wisconsin, in that they care about beating us as much as we care about beating them. I put all the other games in the category of good games that we would like to schedule as much as possible.  At this point the double round robin of the Big East will serve to create rivalries.  It will take some time for that to play out.
            ---Al McGuire

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
I'm curious as to what the generational viewpoint of rivals is. I've always said for me the biggest rivals were (in order of loathing and desire to play): Wisconsin, Louisville, Cincinnati with ND problem 4 or 5 on the list. I came of MU age in the Crean/"old" BE era. Modern grads might think differently, so might old fogeys like MU82

Modern grad: 1. wisconsin 2. Everyone else

Big East doesn't provide us with those easy-to-hate teams anymore (Lville, Cinci, Cuse, ND etc.), and the conference's need to validate itself with the Power 5 also makes us cheer FOR the rest of our conference.

I don't mind, though, as I loathe uw enough to make up for the lack of other "rivals".