[Today at 08:32:41 PM]

New Assistant Coach by Skatastrophy
[Today at 08:04:46 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by tower912
[Today at 07:47:59 PM]

Hurley staying! by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 04:20:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History  (Read 17956 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
My 1430 SAT and 30 ACT probably would have made it today.   But as I watch my daughter starting work on her masters, I think your larger point stands.   If I was in college today, I would probably spend a lot more time studying in a different major than I did 30 years ago.

Note that I'm not saying it's particularly better today.  As most of you know chick and I are very close to the university and see things.  One of the things that bothers me most is the 'Naperville/Mequon' reality of today's environment.  Just this weekend I had an acquaintance ask if I was originally from Brookfield or some other 'nice' suburb.  Um, nope.  900 sq. ft on 60th and Oklahoma.  Guys like Chitown are the minority these days. That's one of the reasons I absolutely love the Limo guys/gals.  Most of 'em need that job.  All that has resulted in a significant cultural change.  Different thread, I suppose.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »
I'm right there with you 82.  Out of the 10 guys who lived in the Lighthouse, 7 or 8 of us are still best friends, the basketball in the early 80's was good (we had first row, middle of the floor, balcony seats at the Mecca), met my wife there, and the best $2 buzz ever. I can't imagine a more fun college experience. I also agree that today's college students have to study more as it's a much more competitive environment now.

I think that's one thing that's very special about MU.  My experience is the same.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:57:16 AM by jsglow »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
I think that's one thing that's very special about MU.  My experience is the same.

Even by 2003 that experience was still there, not sure it is there now or at a least it seems to be eroding.

One of my big concerns with some of the changes MU is looking at is this "elitifying" of the student population. The admissions department has been looking at various things including increasing admissions to requirements as a way to boost MU's academic profile. I think this would be a significant mistake.

As someone that grew up all over with a lot of different experiences with people of all different stripes, backgrounds, and classes I think Marquette is eliminating diversification within it's student population and I don't just mean demographically. Sure students should get some experience with folks of differing backgrounds as part of their volunteer activities but this is more as supporter, not as peers.

They've got 18 years to figure it out, but right now I don't think I'd send my son to MU....just not enough diversity of experience to survive in this world IMO.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
Same year also, correct? 1984?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »
jsglow

I couldn't get in to MU 1981 and no way in hell could I get in today. My youngest son, marginally better student, had to have a lot strings pulled to get in. Pool of potential students is so big now the standards have changed. Thankfully, my youngest son has smaller pool of bars to waste time at and will be done in this spring and only took him 4 years. If he had the menu of establishments that I had in early 80's he never would have lasted.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Did you somehow think I was talking about you?  Or anybody in particular? Rather, my point is that whenever one goes it is THEIR best era.

I'm pretty vain, but I didn't think your song was about me ... or anybody in particular. I was just sharing my experience and saying it was immaterial that I might not be able to qualify now.

I agree that most folks think their experience was the best -- at least I sure as hell hope that is true!

Still, just reading the posts here and talking to others from various eras, I'm saying my opinion is that I attended Marquette in a better era for social life. Again, only my opinion. Certainly not claiming one-size-fits-all.

On an only semi-related note ...

When I see somebody in a Notre Dame or Yale or Stanford or some other elite institution sweatshirt, t-shirt or hat, one of my go-to lines is:

"Stanford, huh? I guess you couldn't get into Marquette!"

Always leads to a chuckle and sometimes to a conversation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
I know, Scott McClinchie (sp) was the owner/chef and This Ain't Heaven was the dive bar one had to drive past in the driveway up to Heaven City. Many people made the mistake of walking into that dirty biker bar thinking they had arrived at Heaven City, the looks on their faces was always priceless. We used to live in Mukwonago and knew every dive bar in it, and that's a lot of dive bars, hell there's even a baitshop on ES that's also a bar.

i grew up in east troy-know the area very well
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »
I'm right there with you 82.  Out of the 10 guys who lived in the Lighthouse, 7 or 8 of us are still best friends, the basketball in the early 80's was good (we had first row, middle of the floor, balcony seats at the Mecca), met my wife there, and the best $2 buzz ever. I can't imagine a more fun college experience.  I also agree that today's college students have to study more as it's a much more competitive environment now.

basketball games in the old arena/mecca/U.S. cellular was ELECTRIC.  fans right on top of the floor.  NOISE-11,000 sounded like 20,000.  talk about home field advantage.  we had 6th row season tix for the bucks games during the lew alcindor/kareem jabbar & big O era.  MU games were nuts.  without looking it up, we had a long long winning streak there. 

i sure wish we had the internet and computers back when i went to school-gotta keep that in mind too

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
i grew up in east troy-know the area very well

Ever been to JR's Resort (formerly named Bucher's) on Phantom Lake?

All I can say is at least the rent was cheap and JR allowed dogs.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
Ever been to JR's Resort (formerly named Bucher's) on Phantom Lake?

All I can say is at least the rent was cheap and JR allowed dogs.

no, we hung out mainly on booth lake and lake Beulah.  my sister-in-law, however, lives on upper phantom in the frank Lloyd wright style house next to the bible camp.  the guy that had the lakeside rest. bought heaven city, but then resold it to someone else really fast-something wasn't working out.  heard it's pretty good again

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
Same year also, correct? 1984?

'83.  Chick is '84.  Sure we have many friends/acquaintances in common.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
jsglow

I couldn't get in to MU 1981 and no way in hell could I get in today. My youngest son, marginally better student, had to have a lot strings pulled to get in. Pool of potential students is so big now the standards have changed. Thankfully, my youngest son has smaller pool of bars to waste time at and will be done in this spring and only took him 4 years. If he had the menu of establishments that I had in early 80's he never would have lasted.

Then we'll enjoy another MU graduation together.   :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
Chitown, the reality is that 1/2 the guys on this board wouldn't get into Marquette today, much less graduate.  Different times; different standards.  And while many here discuss their exploits, both at the bars every night and at Cobeen........ well, you know.

No exploits at Cobeen...back in my day O'Donnell is where you wanted to exploit.  Of course, back in my day McCormick was all dudes, O'Donnel was no dudes.  Cobeen was Cobeen.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »
'83.  Chick is '84.  Sure we have many friends/acquaintances in common.
Probably so. My brother in law was '83 also and my wife '84.  Great time to have been at MU.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
Note that I'm not saying it's particularly better today.  As most of you know chick and I are very close to the university and see things.  One of the things that bothers me most is the 'Naperville/Mequon' reality of today's environment.  Just this weekend I had an acquaintance ask if I was originally from Brookfield or some other 'nice' suburb.  Um, nope.  900 sq. ft on 60th and Oklahoma.  Guys like Chitown are the minority these days. That's one of the reasons I absolutely love the Limo guys/gals.  Most of 'em need that job.  All that has resulted in a significant cultural change.  Different thread, I suppose.

A lot of you are saying, I agree with.  In my view, however, based on the conversations I've had with MU folks, the cultural change had to happen in line with the future of the university 10, 20, 50 years down the road.  It came in the context of $$.  The world change significantly from the 70's and 80's in who was let in, the cost of education, etc, and those realities are just so different now that the strategy also had to change.  IMO (and some of those at the U.)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
Even by 2003 that experience was still there, not sure it is there now or at a least it seems to be eroding.

One of my big concerns with some of the changes MU is looking at is this "elitifying" of the student population. The admissions department has been looking at various things including increasing admissions to requirements as a way to boost MU's academic profile. I think this would be a significant mistake.

As someone that grew up all over with a lot of different experiences with people of all different stripes, backgrounds, and classes I think Marquette is eliminating diversification within it's student population and I don't just mean demographically. Sure students should get some experience with folks of differing backgrounds as part of their volunteer activities but this is more as supporter, not as peers.

They've got 18 years to figure it out, but right now I don't think I'd send my son to MU....just not enough diversity of experience to survive in this world IMO.

I'd send mine in a heartbeat.  In my view, the experience of going to a school like MU in the location it is in, a fairly large city, with real life diversity of rich, poor, the general population, private vs public, etc.  When I was at KU and IU, it felt like such a walled garden. A protected little utopia that doesn't exist in the real world. No grit as it were.  I don't mind the need to bring in better students, it is a reality of life for a private school in the 21st century. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
    no, we hung out mainly on booth lake and lake Beulah.  my sister-in-law, however, lives on upper phantom in the frank Lloyd wright style house next to the bible camp.  the guy that had the lakeside rest. bought heaven city, but then resold it to someone else really fast-something wasn't working out.  heard it's pretty good again

There was a place across Hwy. J from Beulah called Beulah Vista that had great burgers (early 90's)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
I'd send mine in a heartbeat.  In my view, the experience of going to a school like MU in the location it is in, a fairly large city, with real life diversity of rich, poor, the general population, private vs public, etc.  When I was at KU and IU, it felt like such a walled garden. A protected little utopia that doesn't exist in the real world. No grit as it were.  I don't mind the need to bring in better students, it is a reality of life for a private school in the 21st century.
I had two sons who grew up following Marquette basketball.  To this day, my son who is a sophomore at I-4 probably still follows Warrior Hoops as close as he does the Hoosiers.  But when they each were directly admitted to the Kelley School at I-4, it was a no brainer.  They each went to I-4.  If they were doing anything other than business (or music if they chose to be music majors), I'd have pushed MU.  And I-4's campus being a walled garden?  It is one of the prettiest campuses I've ever visited.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »

I'm going to agree with chicos here Navy (as keefe would call you).  It's different.  Certainly more upscale.  But both my kids got fantastic educations and, maybe even more importantly, are really good people in part because of their experiences at Marquette.  The tag line 'Come as you are. Leave transformed.' is really true.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2016, 06:21:22 PM »
I had two sons who grew up following Marquette basketball.  To this day, my son who is a sophomore at I-4 probably still follows Warrior Hoops as close as he does the Hoosiers.  But when they each were directly admitted to the Kelley School at I-4, it was a no brainer.  They each went to I-4.  If they were doing anything other than business (or music if they chose to be music majors), I'd have pushed MU.  And I-4's campus being a walled garden?  It is one of the prettiest campuses I've ever visited.

That's basically what I mean by walled garden, not the in the realm of actual walls, but more in the sense of a protected, pristine area that that isn't real world.  Sorry if my original post didn't convey that.

I like IU's campus, though I liked KU's also.  Been to many pretty campuses, just not sure how in touch with reality many are.  Just my two cents.

Completely understand the Kelly B School ties.  Awesome business school.   You'll have to let me know if John Cougar still drops in every once in awhile to do a set at the Bluebird.  That was always crazy when randomly a major star walks into that dump and starts playing....wouldn't take long for that to get around and the place was packed.  I can't even imagine with texting and social media, he probably doesn't even do it anymore for that reason.  Would cause a riot.  LOL

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »
There was a place across Hwy. J from Beulah called Beulah Vista that had great burgers (early 90's)

it was beulah vista, then double d's and now i think it's called diamond d's  named after the dudes girlfriend's/wife's assets?  not sure where that name comes from.  we used to boat across the lake from my friends and drink summer hummers there.  also where those 4 guys from illinois drowned on new years eve

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »

agree 100%.  good description. why i went there, add basketball, add the dental school.  both my sons went to MU, graduated(2009, 2012) and walked right into decent jobs-bank management in mequon and a district manager for milwaukee tool out in raleigh.  they both had a blast, got an education and i got the bill ?-(

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2016, 07:27:08 PM »
The bars and the dorms were a blast. 10s Schroeder had a wild bunch.  Just a blast   A bunch of very creative individuals when it came to.....fun

We lived in the Swamp....one of several houses on campus that were, ahem, fun on a Saturday night.

We did some crazy crap, but we worked hard.  Many now are doctors, dentist, lawyers, judges, captains of industry, and of course, posters on Scoop.

My class, 83 has a tight bond.  Last year, a group of us met for the nova game.  Some I hadn't seen  many in years. We picked up right where we left off.  Bloodies in the morning, beer allllday long, dinner at Conijitos, and more drinking till our bodies said no more.  Men and women of the class of 83.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2016, 08:56:16 PM »
The bars and the dorms were a blast. 10s Schroeder had a wild bunch.  Just a blast   A bunch of very creative individuals when it came to.....fun

We lived in the Swamp....one of several houses on campus that were, ahem, fun on a Saturday night.

We did some crazy crap, but we worked hard.  Many now are doctors, dentist, lawyers, judges, captains of industry, and of course, posters on Scoop.

My class, 83 has a tight bond.  Last year, a group of us met for the nova game.  Some I hadn't seen  many in years. We picked up right where we left off.  Bloodies in the morning, beer allllday long, dinner at Conijitos, and more drinking till our bodies said no more.  Men and women of the class of 83.

nicely done!  especially the conejitos part.  my wife and i have been eating there since 1980.  when the kids got to be of the "happy meal" age, they preferred conejitos over mac n dons

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
nicely done!  especially the conejitos part.  my wife and i have been eating there since 1980.  when the kids got to be of the "happy meal" age, they preferred conejitos over mac n dons

Anyone ever go to Sabina's back in the day? 
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback