collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History  (Read 17752 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »
I believe it was J.V. Grunts when I was there. Named after the owner John Volpe.  Met my wife there.  Her and her girlfriend used to play a mean foos ball! They drank for free all night!  Needless to say I became a pretty good player out of necessity!

your are right, i was thinking frankie v-thanks
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
We used to grab a 6 or two of PBR or Old Style (one of them was always $1.68 / 6 Pack back when I was there) from Doc's to get a head start and save a little money before heading out to the bars.

you talking about doc's liquor store?  rumor had it that he went to dental school then said F' it and went into the liquor store biness??  not sure how true, but i'm sure if i would have done the same, i'd either be on my 3rd liver transplant or pushin up daisies

speakin of liquor stores-any of yous guyses frequent national liquor bar?  iconic sign was bought by a guy who owned heaven city restaurant in mukwonago just up the road a few miles from my house

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:33 PM »
As long as we're discussing drinking, how about Marquette Liquor.

"Cold case 'a Pabst Richie"
"Cold case 'a Blatz Paulie"

We only bought Pabst when we were celebrating something.  Otherwise it was RWB.

Marquette Dickers were slumlords too.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2016, 09:20:39 PM »
We used to grab a 6 or two of PBR or Old Style (one of them was always $1.68 / 6 Pack back when I was there) from Doc's to get a head start and save a little money before heading out to the bars.
At the Lighthouse, we always thought of MU as the land of the $2 buzz.  If we had 7 guys, we could get a 1/4 barrel. For $20 we could take a ride on the bull and get a 1/2 barrel of Schlitz Malt. Ten guys chip in and it's a cheap buzz before stumbling the 120 steps to OD's or the  Lanche from the Lighthouse. Still hard to believe we had a couple guys who actually said they would rather just get a 12 pack because they wouldn't drink as much as they would of we had a keg. Idiots.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »
Big Mouth Frog....off campus but in walking distance, but in '87-'88 when they were starting to clamp down, that was one reliable place to be served.

I'm sure it is long gone now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »
For liquor stores a lot of students now make the trip to discount. That's always a fun time, our nickname for it was the candy store.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »
My best friend used to tend bar at the State House, on State and 14th (I think 14th; mighta been 13th). It became a very popular bar because of its specials and was frequented by the under-18 crowd as well as MU students.

The bar owner and his wife were big-time druggies and drunks who used to love to raise glasses with the college kids. They'd eventually get shyte-faced and leave not long before closing.

Once all the customers left at closing, a few of us would hang around to drink the owner's booze and stage our "Olympics" -pool, darts, Donkey Kong, foosball, etc.

We'd eventually stumble out of there at 3, 4, 5 in the morning and make our way to the Ham 'N Egger. We did this at least once a week our senior year, often twice, occasionally three times.

How the hell did I ever pass a single freakin' class?

What was hilarious was that after closing at 3:30 a.m. early Sunday mornings -- followed by the "Olympics" and breakfast until 6 a.m. -- my buddy would have to open the place by 11 a.m. in the fall to get ready for Packers games. Operating on just about no sleep and with a hangover raging, he'd have to whip up drinks and make sandwiches and pizza for the customers.

I didn't have much sleep, either, but at least I didn't have to work! I'd be saying, "Hurry up, barkeep, and make me another sandwich!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:59 PM »
Big Mouth Frog....off campus but in walking distance, but in '87-'88 when they were starting to clamp down, that was one reliable place to be served.

I'm sure it is long gone now.

It's indeed long gone, but in '99 I was 17 with my 16 year old friend. No questions asked. Loved the Frog Brain shots

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2016, 11:59:23 PM »
Man did I miss out on the golden era. I feel like Marquette back in the 70s and 80s is equivalent to what University of Illinois is now, just because you can be 19 and go to bars there.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2016, 04:15:05 AM »
At the State House, you could get a shot and a beer for a buck from 6-7 am on weekdays.  Quite often, it was the kickoff to someone's birthday celebration.

Those was the golden era.

Times change. Here I am 35 years later at 5am having my coffee.  I had a double bourbon on the rocks before bed last night, and could not even consider either a shot or a beer.  That doesn't dampen the memories however.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:25:00 AM by Archies Bat »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2016, 05:06:08 AM »
wasn't there a suBURPia across the street from schroeder on 13th/wells until about 1980-81 or so?  i just briefly remember getting that soggy bag of something there.  cousins on 17th wisconsin was a meal plan savior.  i'll bet that was one of the first/original cousins stores in milwaukee at the time-they are still my "go-to" sub samich 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2016, 06:24:57 AM »
Man did I miss out on the golden era. I feel like Marquette back in the 70s and 80s is equivalent to what University of Illinois is now, just because you can be 19 and go to bars there.

Except Champaign sucks

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2016, 06:37:36 AM »
wasn't there a suBURPia across the street from schroeder on 13th/wells until about 1980-81 or so?  i just briefly remember getting that soggy bag of something there.  cousins on 17th wisconsin was a meal plan savior.  i'll bet that was one of the first/original cousins stores in milwaukee at the time-they are still my "go-to" sub samich

Yes.   Still there during the 84-88 window.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2016, 06:44:12 AM »

I thought Suburpia was across from the Gym, but I am less certain of my memory on food locations compared to bar locations.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »
I thought Suburpia was across from the Gym, but I am less certain of my memory on food locations compared to bar locations.

absolutely,  if you were like me and most others, the only evidence of stopping by was a keen after taste of lettuce and onions and beer, a tinge of a headache and the empty wrapper laying on the floor...hmmm, sounds a lot like a cobeen conquest also-heyn'a?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:27 AM »

Chitown, the reality is that 1/2 the guys on this board wouldn't get into Marquette today, much less graduate.  Different times; different standards.  And while many here discuss their exploits, both at the bars every night and at Cobeen........ well, you know.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
you talking about doc's liquor store?  rumor had it that he went to dental school then said F' it and went into the liquor store biness??  not sure how true, but i'm sure if i would have done the same, i'd either be on my 3rd liver transplant or pushin up daisies

speakin of liquor stores-any of yous guyses frequent national liquor bar?  iconic sign was bought by a guy who owned heaven city restaurant in mukwonago just up the road a few miles from my house

since this reads like a dive bar thread, I'll admit that I always preferred This Ain't Heaven to Heaven City, not sure if its still the same now but always wondered what the Heaven City folks thought about that place
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:06:09 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2016, 09:10:40 AM »
I always preferred It Ain't Heaven to Heaven City, not sure if its still the same now

heaven city is that old house/historical brothel on old hwy 15/national ave. just east of mukwonago.  they used to be owned by a pretty decent chef and had it going fairly "upscale.  one of those places whose menu would be on a chalk board and change every day.  stuff like smoked pheasant ug rotten with foie gras and 3 green beans topped a raspberry-mustard-dandelion glaze.  then you would get this gigantic saucer with a little morsel of food in the middle...cost-$75,  no thank you, i'm going to the boneyard sports bar for wings

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2016, 09:36:09 AM »
It's indeed long gone, but in '99 I was 17 with my 16 year old friend. No questions asked. Loved the Frog Brain shots

Awesome.  Yup, we would have frog brain shots as well.  Good memories. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
Chitown, the reality is that 1/2 the guys on this board wouldn't get into Marquette today, much less graduate.  Different times; different standards.  And while many here discuss their exploits, both at the bars every night and at Cobeen........ well, you know.

My "exploits" are all true, though I understand the skepticism. I'm a big skeptic myself. As for not getting into MU now, I very well might not have. But I don't have to! I got in then, and I enjoyed the hell out of 80% of the Marquette experience. I wouldn't have gotten the same job I did then because that industry is dying now (newspaper journalism) but, again, I got the job then. So what's the point? I'm supposed to feel less good about my fun time back then because I wouldn't have gotten in now? Huh?

The 20% I didn't enjoy is divided equally between the horrible weather and some of the crappy classes -- huge history lectures, boring poli-sci and theology, journalism classes taught by instructors who mailed it in, etc.

Small price to pay for a truly unforgettable four years.

Great fun, mostly good basketball in a fantastic environment, best friends (still), my future wife (still), an instant post-grad job in my chosen profession ... and yes, the cheapest all-you-can-drink buffet ever!

It's difficult to believe that there was a better era to go to Marquette than the one in which I went.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:02:37 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
heaven city is that old house/historical brothel on old hwy 15/national ave. just east of mukwonago.  they used to be owned by a pretty decent chef and had it going fairly "upscale.  one of those places whose menu would be on a chalk board and change every day.  stuff like smoked pheasant ug rotten with foie gras and 3 green beans topped a raspberry-mustard-dandelion glaze.  then you would get this gigantic saucer with a little morsel of food in the middle...cost-$75,  no thank you, i'm going to the boneyard sports bar for wings

I know, Scott McClinchie (sp) was the owner/chef and This Ain't Heaven was the dive bar one had to drive past in the driveway up to Heaven City. Many people made the mistake of walking into that dirty biker bar thinking they had arrived at Heaven City, the looks on their faces was always priceless. We used to live in Mukwonago and knew every dive bar in it, and that's a lot of dive bars, hell there's even a baitshop on ES that's also a bar.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:09 AM »
My "exploits" are all true, though I understand the skepticism. I'm a big skeptic myself. As for not getting into MU now, I very well might not have. But I don't have to! I got in then, and I enjoyed the hell out of 80% of the Marquette experience. I wouldn't have gotten the same job I did then because that industry is dying now (newspaper journalism) but, again, I got the job then. So what's the point? I'm supposed to feel less good about my fun time back then because I wouldn't have gotten in now? Huh?

The 20% I didn't enjoy is divided equally between the horrible weather and some of the crappy classes -- huge history lectures, boring poli-sci and theology, journalism classes taught by instructors who mailed it in, etc.

Great fun, mostly good basketball in a fantastic environment, best friends (still), my future wife (still), an instant post-grad job in my chosen profession ... and yes, the cheapest all-you-can-drink buffet ever!

It's difficult to believe that there was a better era to go to Marquette than the one in which I went.

Did you somehow think I was talking about you?  Or anybody in particular? Rather, my point is that whenever one goes it is THEIR best era.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:07:21 AM by jsglow »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2016, 10:32:37 AM »

My 1430 SAT and 30 ACT probably would have made it today.   But as I watch my daughter starting work on her masters, I think your larger point stands.   If I was in college today, I would probably spend a lot more time studying in a different major than I did 30 years ago. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »
I just had some Rhinelander not too long ago.  Minhas Brewing in Monroe still makes it.  Not a bad, tasteless lager.

I give Minhas credit for my first step into beer snobbery. Between Mountain Crest, Mountain Creek, Minhas Light, Clear Creek, etc. I learned that some beers were so gross that they weren't worth the dollar or whatever you'd save over Keystone and High Life.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »

I'm right there with you 82.  Out of the 10 guys who lived in the Lighthouse, 7 or 8 of us are still best friends, the basketball in the early 80's was good (we had first row, middle of the floor, balcony seats at the Mecca), met my wife there, and the best $2 buzz ever. I can't imagine a more fun college experience.  I also agree that today's college students have to study more as it's a much more competitive environment now. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.