collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History  (Read 17748 times)

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History
« on: January 29, 2016, 09:54:49 AM »
As a younger alum, I enjoy reading stories about what campus was like back in the day. Sounds like campus was a lot more lively with all the watering holes to socialize in. Unfortunately the online story does not include the map from the print version which showed the location of all the defunct campus bars. 

http://marquettewire.org/3941514/tribune/tribune-news/throwback-drinking-age-changed-to-21-in-1986-campus-bars-closed/

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »
Too bad about the map; I'd have liked to have seen it. Thanks for the article, though. Brings back many memories.

My best friend and I used to talk about getting enough money saved after 10-15 years in the workforce to buy a bar around campus. We considered it a "sure thing." Obviously, we weren't even thinking about drinking age possibly going up.

Going to the bars was such a major part of the culture of attending Marquette when I did. Every Friday and Saturday, they were packed, and Thursdays became a very popular night also, as most of them had specials; more and more students tried hard to avoid scheduling Friday morning classes. My friends and I often went out every night of the week -- yeah, we were quite the drunk-ass dopes -- and my personal favorite was Sundays because they weren't as crowded.

A few of them, especially Grunts and later O'Donovan's, were populated by high school kids. I assume they had fake IDs. I know I had a little fun with a few high school girls -- I was too stupid/horny to even think about age of consent and all that. Different era.

Frankly, it's hard for me to even imagine what kids must do now instead of going to the bars. They were SUCH a part of the Marquette experience when I was there. They advertised in the dorms, advertised in the Tribune, had specials most nights, competed with each other for our precious dollars.

The school would keep the Rec Center open from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. They called it "Alternative to the Bars," they helped organize pick-up basketball games, and they let students play tennis for free. We used to go play basketball until about midnight and THEN go out, so it wasn't really an alternative for us but a bonus. Very easy to do, especially on Saturdays -- when the bars were open till 3:30.

The school actually encouraged dorm residents to throw keggers, and had information available on how to plan them. On the 4th floor of McCormick my freshman year, we had about one major bash a month. The school bar in the basement of the old union, the Mugrack, was packed on Friday afternoons and nights because they brought in music.

How the hell did we get any schoolwork done? Looking back, it was a major accomplishment to have graduated in 4 years!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »
Too bad about the map; I'd have liked to have seen it. Thanks for the article, though. Brings back many memories.

My best friend and I used to talk about getting enough money saved after 10-15 years in the workforce to buy a bar around campus. We considered it a "sure thing." Obviously, we weren't even thinking about drinking age possibly going up.

Going to the bars was such a major part of the culture of attending Marquette when I did. Every Friday and Saturday, they were packed, and Thursdays became a very popular night also, as most of them had specials; more and more students tried hard to avoid scheduling Friday morning classes. My friends and I often went out every night of the week -- yeah, we were quite the drunk-ass dopes -- and my personal favorite was Sundays because they weren't as crowded.

A few of them, especially Grunts and later O'Donovan's, were populated by high school kids. I assume they had fake IDs. I know I had a little fun with a few high school girls -- I was too stupid/horny to even think about age of consent and all that. Different era.

Frankly, it's hard for me to even imagine what kids must do now instead of going to the bars. They were SUCH a part of the Marquette experience when I was there. They advertised in the dorms, advertised in the Tribune, had specials most nights, competed with each other for our precious dollars.

The school would keep the Rec Center open from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. They called it "Alternative to the Bars," they helped organize pick-up basketball games, and they let students play tennis for free. We used to go play basketball until about midnight and THEN go out, so it wasn't really an alternative for us but a bonus. Very easy to do, especially on Saturdays -- when the bars were open till 3:30.

The school actually encouraged dorm residents to throw keggers, and had information available on how to plan them. On the 4th floor of McCormick my freshman year, we had about one major bash a month. The school bar in the basement of the old union, the Mugrack, was packed on Friday afternoons and nights because they brought in music.

How the hell did we get any schoolwork done? Looking back, it was a major accomplishment to have graduated in 4 years!!

God, college was awesome!   ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »
God, college was awesome!   ;D

As I often say: "Hated school, but LOVED college!"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »
Closed Hegarty's every Sunday my first semester junior year.   A female friend who went out to a bar every night her last semester.    Bringing beer to a 9 AM class my senior year to share with the class and Dr. Rhodes.   Special Ex because he had mentioned it was his favorite.   Convincing a visiting poli sci prof to have his finals review at Hegarty's, discovering he had a weakness for Guinness and plying him with that magic elixir while he gave us all of the answers  he was looking for on the final.   Death marches.   

When I visited MU as a high school senior, the freshman who put me up on Friday night before a scholarship exam the next morning was having a floor party.    7 kegs.   A wet bar.   A 17 year high schooler who didn't need to hit the bar.   Making out with a cute little high school senior staying at O'Donnell before seeing her again at the schollie test the nest morning.    On Saturday, I stayed with some sophomores in McCormick in a triple who stole an ID for me, rustled up a pair of shoes and went and played basketball at the Rec Center until 1 in the morning.    How could I go anywhere else?

Weekends starting on Wednesday night with $1 imports at the Ardmore.    Thursday nights were either quarter taps or $2 pitchers.    Friday and Saturday were givens.   In 4 years, I never missed a class due to hangover.    A point of honor.   I fought through some ridiculous hangovers to do it.    One so bad that I got motion sick on the elevator ride down to the lobby.     College rocked. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:04:41 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
In 4 years, I never missed a class due to hangover.    A point of honor.   I fought through some ridiculous hangovers to do it.    One so bad that I got motion sick on the elevator ride down to the lobby.
That is effen impressive.

I missed a ton of classes. A TON. Any class that wasn't in my major in which attendance wasn't kept, I'm sure I skipped it more often than I attended it. If the prof (or T.A.) was just reading from the textbook, shyte, I could do that myself. So to never miss a class, I bow to you.

My badge of honor (which I've mentioned previously so won't go into huge detail) was going out to the bars every single night of every finals week for 4 years. We are ... Marquette!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »
Close the bars, go to Real Chili, open up Lenny's ay 6am.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 08:59:21 PM »

My badge of honor (which I've mentioned previously so won't go into huge detail) was going out to the bars every single night of every finals week for 4 years. We are ... Marquette!

You have mentioned that before but, frankly, you should.

Damned impressive feat. I stand in awe, Mike. Truly.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
Naked Beer Slides....fun days.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 11:31:04 PM »
I was there as things were cooling down fast.

Had fun at the bars, but it was pretty much Heg's or Angelos. I celebrated all of my four 21st birthdays at Heg's

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 11:41:49 PM »
The Lens with the quote. Nicely done.

It was definitely part of the culture when I was there. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 01:13:23 AM »
Close the bars, go to Real Chili, open up Lenny's ay 6am.

We all did the stay in Lenny's from open to close gig. Monster days, man.

Death on call

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »
That article is not exactly correct.  Yes the drinking age did change in 1986, but I can report that it had no effect on the bar scene.  All were going quite strong when I graduated in 90.

I also seriously doubt that students attitudes towards drinking changed or that such a change affected the bars.

It is a shame that current students cannot enjoy the Marquette bar scene of the past.

As a younger alum, I enjoy reading stories about what campus was like back in the day. Sounds like campus was a lot more lively with all the watering holes to socialize in. Unfortunately the online story does not include the map from the print version which showed the location of all the defunct campus bars. 

http://marquettewire.org/3941514/tribune/tribune-news/throwback-drinking-age-changed-to-21-in-1986-campus-bars-closed/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »
   remember putting your quarter(yup quarter) on the pool table?  watching the matches was like watching the 

matingritual of bighorn sheep going head to head, always with a close eye on the real prize(s) watching off to

the side. 

there was an air of "pool table cool" hanging there.  some would walk in with their own sticks.  uncasing and

screwing them together, you knew everyone was watching.  then your turn would come up and the guy using

the beat up, warped, no french tip bat stick would run the table without you getting a shot.....saw that scene 

played out over many a pitcher of dogstyle with flaming shots in between.  that was really cool too until the

dude with the al queda beard lit himself on fire and didn't know it.  then out came the bacardi 151...ouch!
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
I was there as things were cooling down fast.

Had fun at the bars, but it was pretty much Heg's or Angelos. I celebrated all of my four 21st birthdays at Heg's

Sorry...Angelo's was a pizza place, not a bar.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »

some people like to really let their hair down sometimes and go for the gusto-hey....na?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
   remember putting your quarter(yup quarter) on the pool table?

I remember my buddies and I going to Harp & Shamrock on Wells and putting a fiver on the bar at the start of the night. And after 2-3 (or 4) hours of enjoying our favorite beverages, the five would STILL BE THERE at 2 a.m.

The bartender LOVED us -- I think he got a kick out of our dopey conversations -- and he wouldn't take our money.

So much fun.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »
I remember my buddies and I going to Harp & Shamrock on Wells and putting a fiver on the bar at the start of the night. And after 2-3 (or 4) hours of enjoying our favorite beverages, the five would STILL BE THERE at 2 a.m.

The bartender LOVED us -- I think he got a kick out of our dopey conversations -- and he wouldn't take our money.

So much fun.

That place is a cesspool of underagers now a days. The Harp and Shame is something else.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:19 AM »

It was a great fresh/soph bar with bad pizza when I was there. The other bars clamped down on underage patrons. MU tightened down on many places and there were rumors that they would threaten your enrollment if caught with a fake

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:21:02 AM »
It was a great fresh/soph bar with bad pizza when I was there. The other bars clamped down on underage patrons. MU tightened down on many places and there were rumors that they would threaten your enrollment if caught with a fake

Angelos rarely checked IDs.  My recollection is that there were other bars that if you went either early or late, rarely checked too.  Hegartys.  Ardmore.  (Except on import night.)

Places like the Lanche and the Gym were very hard to get into without a real good fake ID.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 08:26:42 AM »

In my day, being labeled a "freshman"  bar was a death knell.  Once Grunt's got that moniker, the place was a morgue.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:46:23 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »
   remember that joint which is now a parking garage on 16th street between the ardmore and angelos? the circle

inn, or something like that.  most MU students avoided this place like the plague, and was known more for

"milwaukee" people or UWM and/or mount mary gals-aka, the merry mounties ;)still scratching my

head on where that name came from-or scratching something-heyna?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »
   remember that joint which is now a parking garage on 16th street between the ardmore and angelos? the circle

inn, or something like that.  most MU students avoided this place like the plague, and was known more for

"milwaukee" people or UWM and/or mount mary gals-aka, the merry mounties ;)still scratching my

head on where that name came from-or scratching something-heyna?

Yep, Circle Inn.  I think it closed after my Frosh year.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 09:20:11 AM »

Isn't that why Angelos closed....caught too may times with underage drinkers later on in life.

I agree with chick, back in the day it was never considered a bar.

I attribute most of my cholesterol to Angelos pepperoni. The pepperoni would curl up into the shape of a little cup and be full of grease. Just wonderful!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 09:26:09 AM »
Isn't that why Angelos closed....caught too may times with underage drinkers later on in life.

I agree with chick, back in the day it was never considered a bar.

I attribute most of my cholesterol to Angelos pepperoni. The pepperoni would curl up into the shape of a little cup and be full of grease. Just wonderful!

The official reason why Angelo's closed was that the owner was ill and wanted to sell.  But I am pretty sure the University wasn't thrilled with its reputation as an underage drinking establishment, and jumped on the chance to acquire it.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback