Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: G'Town game  (Read 9501 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
G'Town game
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
Kenpom overall rankings:

G'Town: 67th
MU: 107th

Kenpom strength of schedule:

G'Town: 149th
MU: 335th (out of 351)

Pretty scary this is the first true road game out of state this season. How's everyone feeling about this one?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: G'Town game
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »

Looking forward to this one.  After 2 bad games I think the team knows they need to be tougher, and shots at the beginning of the game have to fall to help the team's psyche.

Hoping to see a Team Leader emerge (Need not be the top scorer) someone to take control, the coaching staff has a limited amount of Time out.

I think we will represents ourselves well.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »

I would not expect a hostile environment in DC , so not a bad place to start road play.
That said, I think this will be a loss for MU.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »
Yeah, the crowd won't be that loud or hostile against MU. But their guard play will kill us most likely.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »
Man, our SOS couldn't be any worse if Mr. Ed was making the schedule.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
Hoyas 6.5 point favorites

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 04:42:29 PM »
Given the season so far, its tough to be optimistic. I guess Ill just see what happens. Hope for a win, but a loss would not be depressing.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
Man, our SOS couldn't be any worse if Mr. Ed was making the schedule.

Yet, we lost to one "cupcake", and another took us to OT.  Mr. Ed must keep up with basketball publications in his spare time in the barn.  It's probably for the best that we didn't get taken to the tool shed by Western Illinois and UWM.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 05:46:54 PM »
Excited to see how the team responds after the tough second half Wednesday. Tomorrow's effort will say a lot about how the rest of the season goes imo. I think MU gets one tomorrow. They will be ready to play.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
Just don't see a win as possible at this point

My hope is we just play much better. But that said I hope it doesn't turn into a exceed expectations only to lose in heartbreak fashion like we do so often.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »
I like our chances, we should have more ball movement and better shot selection. Wojo will have them ready to play.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »
Watch out for freshman Marcus Derrickson. Tricky guy to handle. 6'7", 250 and can absolutely fill it up from deep. Also can get pretty active and nifty on the o-glass.

DSR is the man, but really this team has a bunch of guys who can and do help out in the scoring dept. Gotta hope they miss a lot of shots and we keep them off the line.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
Pessimistic, as usual. Just hoping we don't throw up all over ourselves like the last 20 min. we played. Hoping for development/improvement.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 05:12:40 AM »
As long as we give up the hook shot and make some 3's we have a chance.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:03:25 AM »
First conference road game for this team.  The leaning curve must be respected.  Georgetown by a bunch.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 08:16:40 AM »
I think we'll see a much better effort in this one. I think these are two really well matched teams. If we can create turnovers and turn this into a transition game, I think we get the win. Scoring in the 50s-60s favors GT, scoring in the 70s-80s favors us. Gun to my head I'd pick Georgetown by 3 or less due to home court, but I think it will be a single possession game that could go either way.

One advantage we have...I have little confidence in John Thompson as a coach. He's a great recruiter but marginal at turning talent into results. I'm confident we will beat them at least once this year. Today would be a great day to extend their home losing streak to 3.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
We have to make our shots.  We missed to many inside shots and didn't make or takeout three point shots last game.  Come on Sandy we need your sweet long shooting.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »
If we play for 40 minutes I like our chances.  If over-confident with a lead, or lose confidence if behind, were in trouble.   40 minute intense effort and we win.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »
MU point guards turn it over at a high clip, while GU's front line turns it over for the Hoya's.  Georgetown is a better three point shooting team, but MU better inside the arc. Georgetown offense is one of the best  getting to the line (and making their free tosses), while MU better at not fouling (not seen against the Hall with the BE officials). MU is the faster paced team.

Can MU keep the turnovers down? Will MU foul at the non-conference rate or will they put the Hoyas in the early bonus that was seen during the opener?  Will their threes sink MU like we have seen in the other Big East opening games? Will MU guards rebound better against a taller team? What opening line up will Wojo go with--will he shake things up to go more veteran line-up on the road?

End of the day, Thompson's teams are always in your face physical, and I think MU will again have trouble with that, especially on the road. In a slower paced game, with the way MU's young guns turn it over, I am expecting a Georgetown victory.  That said, MU is resilient and will definitely shoot it better.  This is a balanced match-up game and should be fun to watch. I think Luke and Henry have great games based on match-ups. MU chances swing with the guard play. Hopefully MU finds its identity today or it will be a long stretch with the upcoming first half of the season schedule.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:24:55 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
Line is Georgetown -7

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »
Ugh. Someone feels like spending money today. This someone bet on MU +7.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »
I like our chances if Wojo made the team practice in ancient Roman style athletic gear since the SHU loss.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 11:05:08 AM »
Ugh. Someone feels like spending money today. This someone bet on MU +7.

Hard to bet against the blue and gold even with these odds. Most of us still believe what is broken can be fixed. I hope they can turn it around.

Athough my heart wants them to win my brain says they have not demonstrated a solid game against a real opponent period. What is very frustrating is this team has real talent. But and this is a big BUT,  sans one or two players everyone on this team has  a major  individual weakness. Moreover, we  need to play as a team. Our telegraph passing , fumbling rebounds, turnovers, defensive breakdowns and confidence are the weakest in many years. These issues should be correctable but some of our older players have not shown progress. I have no answer as to why.  Do this kids listen and buy in? So far it doesn't show.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »
Athough my heart wants them to win my brain says they have not demonstrated a solid game against a real opponent period.

The same could probably be said of Georgetown. Their best wins are Wisconsin and Syracuse, both of whom look like paper tigers. They've probably been more impressive in losses against Duke and Maryland, but it's hard to put much faith in a team who has looked best in defeat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
Hope to see more JJJ if sandy fades again today

feedback