[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hall thoughts  (Read 19639 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Seton Hall thoughts
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »
Sandy played his worst game at MU.
Traci played like he was in high school.

And Fischer can't blame the shoulder anymore. So freaking soft.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
Soft is getting out rebounded by 17 when you have the two tallest players on the floor.
Soft is being unable to hold position in the post.
Soft is not moving your feet on defense.
Soft is never coming up with a loose ball. 
Soft is standing around on offense. 
Soft is getting beat down the floor. 

First Big East game for 6 of the players.    The question is how they respond to this kick to the nads.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 08:52:56 PM »

Luke and Henry were getting pushed off their spots and constantly misfiring due mostly to physical defense. 

And they were brutally outrebounded.  There were 37 rebounding opportunities due to Seton Hall missing shots.  SHU got 16 of them.  Smaller team pushed Marquette around on the boards all night.

And Luke and Henry had 23 out of our 32 rebounds….it wasn't like they were getting pushed out of the arena like rag dolls.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
And Luke and Henry had 23 out of our 32 rebounds….it wasn't like they were getting pushed out of the arena like rag dolls.

I thought Henry was better than Luke.  But Luke was manhandled.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:50 PM »
1) MU entire offense in 2nd half was get it into the front court and watch a guy go one-on-one. Might work against weaker, less-talented noncon opponents, but not in BE.
2) Seton Hall burned MU at least 5x in 2nd half with extra pass for weak side lay-in. Hall making extra passes and moving without the ball was a lesson in hustle and good basketball. We stood around and watched.
3) So far I am underwhelmed with the Henry Ellenson experience. Hope he gets better once he gains experience.
4) The Wojo contract extension - while a different topic altogether - is a head scratcher. I just do not think it was necessary right now. Much of what happened tonight was inability to make adjustments - esp defensively. That is part coaching.
And this was Seton Hall.  Could be an interesting conference schedule.
Matt Velazquez said it was because coaches recruting same guys as Wojo were telling recruits Wojo will go to Duke as soon as job is available and extension was a way to stop rumors.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:00:31 PM by News: Ellenson dreams & commits to MU »
Goal is National Championship

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:54 PM »

I agree.   Luke needs a stronger presence in the paint on offense…he gets the ball in position then uses the same move to back in and go up fairly weekly with the left hand while getting pushed out from the hoop…would rather him take it stronger to the hoop and either draw the foul or get a better finish.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »

Many off their rebounds were putbacks in which most of the time they missed, with offensive tip chances.  Henry had three on one play. 

Doesn't matter who had what, the team was outbound by 17, not 2, 3......by bigger and stronger SH players.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »
Wow ... this is a tough place to come after a loss.

We were down 2 with 14 minutes left and down 5 with 10 1/2 minutes to play. We were struggling some -- couldn't make an effen shot! -- but we were playing pretty tough.

Then we sucked, yes.

I am not going to say "the season is hopeless" based on that.

Go Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
Wojo is obviously a Duke/ACC guy. That team/conference is the most finesse in all of college basketball. quite frankly, i hate watching rock fights. Buzz liked them. Dixon liked them. Cincy liked them. Unfortunately, i think wojo will have to adjust because the rest of the league wont suddenly become a finesse conference. I dont loke it but it is what it is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »
Wojo is obviously a Duke/ACC guy. That team/conference is the most finesse in all of college basketball. quite frankly, i hate watching rock fights. Buzz liked them. Dixon liked them. Cincy liked them. Unfortunately, i think wojo will have to adjust because the rest of the league wont suddenly become a finesse conference. I dont loke it but it is what it is.

The Big East is a rock fight league.  It is what it is.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2015, 09:14:50 PM »
The Big East is a rock fight league.  It is what it is.

Yeah, thats what i said...

How did UConn win championships while in the BE? Great guard play that was protected in the ncaa tourney. In the BE, a defender can get beat off the dribble and arm bar the dribbler off his line and into the stands. Thats a foul in the ncaat.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2015, 09:15:48 PM »

We were down 2 with 14 minutes left and down 5 with 10 1/2 minutes to play. We were struggling some -- couldn't make an effen shot! -- but we were playing pretty tough.

Then we sucked, yes.

Go Marquette.

You are correct about the scores.   But the game was slipping away, the sled was starting down the hill, the train was leaving the station, everybody watching could feel it and not one player stepped up.   Young.   Lacking in leadership.     And Wojo is being far harsher in his postgame than we are. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2015, 09:25:23 PM »
You are correct about the scores.   But the game was slipping away, the sled was starting down the hill, the train was leaving the station, everybody watching could feel it and not one player stepped up.   Young.   Lacking in leadership.     And Wojo is being far harsher in his postgame than we are.

I'm glad Wojo is telling it like it is. That's his job.

But is he all but saying the season is over and this year is going to be just like last year?

I'm not going to argue with you, tower. I like you and we  agree on most things. And I understand why lots of folks are frustrated. I'm just not ready to get all woe-is-us over a bad 10-15 minutes of basketball.

Go Marquette!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Yeah, thats what i said...

How did UConn win championships while in the BE? Great guard play that was protected in the ncaa tourney. In the BE, a defender can get beat off the dribble and arm bar the dribbler off his line and into the stands. Thats a foul in the ncaat.

There were 47 fouls called tonight.  Offensive players are always protected nowadays.  Every time they "emphasize" the rules every couple of years it makes college basketball tougher and tougher to watch.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »

Then we sucked, yes.

Go Marquette.

This is exactly right. One loss and we forget all about NYC and Madison. This is one notch in the loss column. Hardly season ending. I'll be curious to see reactions if we beat Georgetown on Saturday. Will we be a certain tourney team with second weekend aspirations?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »
Many off their rebounds were putbacks in which most of the time they missed, with offensive tip chances.  Henry had three on one play. 

Doesn't matter who had what, the team was outbound by 17, not 2, 3......by bigger and stronger SH players.
You could see how Luke was being pushed from the basket by all of the shots to the front of the rim. He has got to be more forceful and adjust his shot if he can't  power in.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »

That feels like a gross generalization.  Duke has always played physical basketball, including our current coach.  UNC, Wake, Maryland (when they were in the conference), NC State...clubs play hard, physical hoops.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
You could see how Luke was being pushed from the basket by all of the shots to the front of the rim. He has got to be more forceful and adjust his shot if he can't  power in.

I am determined to not get overly negative, and I like to think this is only a fact-based observation and not a "rip" ...

The few folks who actually believe Luke can have an NBA career need to remember this game (and others like it) every time those thoughts creep into their minds. Luke has enough trouble dealing with the kind of bigs Seton Hall has.

And I like Luke a lot. I think he is a good college player with some potential to get even better. He simply does not have an NBA future -- and a house-full of NBA scouts witnessed that firsthand tonight.

They witnessed Henry struggle some, too, but Henry still grabbed 14 rebounds, had a couple of NBA-quality assists, handled the ball well and showed nice range (even if the shot didn't go in). Those who think NBA scouts watched Henry tonight and said, "No effen way!" don't know anything about what scouts look for. I doubt Henry's stock dropped even a fraction tonight.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2015, 09:49:05 PM »

The few folks who actually believe Luke can have an NBA career need to remember this game (and others like it) every time those thoughts creep into their minds. Luke has enough trouble dealing with the kind of bigs Seton Hall has.

And I like Luke a lot. I think he is a good college player with some potential to get even better. He simply does not have an NBA future -- and a house-full of NBA scouts witnessed that firsthand tonight.

They witnessed Henry struggle some, too, but Henry still grabbed 14 rebounds, had a couple of NBA-quality assists, handled the ball well and showed nice range (even if the shot didn't go in). Those who think NBA scouts watched Henry tonight and said, "No effen way!" don't know anything about what scouts look for. I doubt Henry's stock dropped even a fraction tonight.

Agreed on all counts.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
1. yep whoever designed our schedule needs to answer some tough questions. didn't prepare us at all.

Wojo was pretty smart. Going 10-2 against a bunch of nobodies got him a contract extension worth $5,000,000 give or take.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »
That feels like a gross generalization.  Duke has always played physical basketball, including our current coach.  UNC, Wake, Maryland (when they were in the conference), NC State...clubs play hard, physical hoops.

I disagree.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2015, 10:00:19 PM »
C'mon Deadspin…can you please break the Bo story tonight and give us some relief from the pain of this loss?

UW was in our backyard watching Joey Hauser tonight also during this sh*t show

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2015, 10:01:06 PM »
Wojo was pretty smart. Going 10-2 against a bunch of nobodies got him a contract extension worth $5,000,000 give or take.
So your position is that Wojo purposely scheduled a soft non conference schedule, lied to build up trust with the administration/board of trustees/major donors to hide his inabilities, so that he could sign a big dollar contract extension?

You sir are and idiot of biblical proportions if you believe that.

edit - hope i missed the teal
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:02:40 PM by naginiF »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2015, 10:05:30 PM »
How did wojo not get a t tonight? My favorite was when they called a weak offensive foul on seton hall at the end of the game and wojo was giving them crap on even that call in our favor.

Not sure how I feel about it. Love the intensity but at the same time you need to teach your players the calls can't be controlled and you just need to focus on playing your best. It's one thing to give a ref an ear full after a bad call but it was a little embarrassing watching him do it all night.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
So your position is that Wojo purposely scheduled a soft non conference schedule, lied to build up trust with the administration/board of trustees/major donors to hide his inabilities, so that he could sign a big dollar contract extension?

You sir are and idiot of biblical proportions if you believe that.

edit - hope i missed the teal
I do not think Wojo planned it that way, but it worked out very well for him.

feedback