[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hall thoughts  (Read 19642 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Seton Hall thoughts
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »

Same problem as the last two seasons.

They just need a 6ft 8 230 pound rebounder, intimidator type player underneath.  Fischer is way too soft, Henry wants to be Kevin Durant and Cohen is a string bean.  Been like that for years and not looking forward to some of the BE teams with the bangers inside.  Showed up tonight in first game. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »
Games like tonight continue to make me think HE will be with us next year.  Athleticism isn't there, or the range. 

Then he'll go for 25 next game.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »
They just need a 6ft 8 230 pound rebounder, intimidator type player underneath.  Fischer is way too soft, Henry wants to be Kevin Durant and Cohen is a string bean.  Been like that for years and not looking forward to some of the BE teams with the bangers inside.  Showed up tonight in first game.

We need a lot. We need the player described above as well as true PG and guard who can hit from behind the arc.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
The Rec Center...AND the Rec Plex.  Yes, even the Rec Plex.

The team needs to start practicing on that blacktop court next to O'Donnell.

And make them shovel it first.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 08:21:02 PM »

It really is an odd makeup to the team. Teams with lots of...wait for it...switchable will give us fits.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
Games like tonight continue to make me think HE will be with us next year.  Athleticism isn't there, or the range. 

ASMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 08:22:21 PM »
1) MU entire offense in 2nd half was get it into the front court and watch a guy go one-on-one. Might work against weaker, less-talented noncon opponents, but not in BE.
2) Seton Hall burned MU at least 5x in 2nd half with extra pass for weak side lay-in. Hall making extra passes and moving without the ball was a lesson in hustle and good basketball. We stood around and watched.
3) So far I am underwhelmed with the Henry Ellenson experience. Hope he gets better once he gains experience.
4) The Wojo contract extension - while a different topic altogether - is a head scratcher. I just do not think it was necessary right now. Much of what happened tonight was inability to make adjustments - esp defensively. That is part coaching.

And this was Seton Hall.  Could be an interesting conference schedule.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
WTF??????

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »
I will feel better tomorrow, but right now I miss the mentally, physically tough JUCO's with a chip on their shoulders.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
It really is an odd makeup to the team. Teams with lots of...wait for it...switchable will give us fits.

This is why I don't get the switchable criticism with Buzz.  When he got the right switchables, MU was fine.  They were physical and athletic enough to play in the BE. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »
I will feel better tomorrow, but right now I miss the mentally, physically tough JUCO's with a chip on their shoulders.

Me 2.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »
If we gave out "Dud of the Game" awards after losses I would give this game's honors to everyone except Cheatnam and Wally.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »
Saying they are a fringe NIT team after one awful half is an overreaction. That having been said - that was a totally inexcusable 20 minutes. Out-hustled the whole way and seemed like they gave up with 8 minutes to go. This is a crossroads - time for Wojo to show he can turn them around in a hurry - just like the Iowa game.

Don't forget that they clawed their way back into the lead after starting 11 in the hole. All the while not making a 3 and having their star player hit 1 FG.

I'm very disappointed - but still a believer that they can turn it around quickly. They've done it before.
  +1    I thought the stretch in the first half that had us recover from an early 11 point deficit to take the lead was just beautiful basketball.   It was fueled by tough defense, great ball movement, toughness and hustle and points both in the paint and on the break.   No idea where that went in the second half.   They are young, much like the Iowa game was a wakeup call on what it takes against an experienced, talented team…this is a wakeup call on what the Big East is all about.     

There were positives to take away from this (Cheatham continues to ooze potential….Wally had some impact and a nice run…Wojo is saying the right things and trying to instill toughness, defense, smarts, etc…up to the players to execute) but lots to learn from for a young team.   Henry is not going to be off like that every night…some night the bunnies will fall for Luke…our guards will learn the importance of protecting the ball or they will not be on the court.   It is one horrible second half to the first conference game…

An added annoyance during the second half…on the announcers NCAA tourney projections…how the f%ck could they list Wisconsin as on the bubble as the first 4 out?   huh?   C'mon Deadspin…can you please break the Bo story tonight and give us some relief from the pain of this loss?

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2015, 08:29:49 PM »
Me 2.

count me in as well. this team is soft. imagine if they played against our juco led teams with guys like butler, crowder, and djo

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2015, 08:30:40 PM »
1) MU entire offense in 2nd half was get it into the front court and watch a guy go one-on-one. Might work against weaker, less-talented noncon opponents, but not in BE.
2) Seton Hall burned MU at least 5x in 2nd half with extra pass for weak side lay-in. Hall making extra passes and moving without the ball was a lesson in hustle and good basketball. We stood around and watched.
3) So far I am underwhelmed with the Henry Ellenson experience. Hope he gets better once he gains experience.
4) The Wojo contract extension - while a different topic altogether - is a head scratcher. I just do not think it was necessary right now. Much of what happened tonight was inability to make adjustments - esp defensively. That is part coaching.

WRT #3.  Ellenson is fine with a poor shooting night.  Had 14 boards.  In fact he was the one player I thought looked physically like he belonged out there.

WRT #4.  I don't care about the contract that much, but it is the same problem I had with Wojo last year.  No change up.  No adjustment.  Willard took Haanif out of the game in the second half by shading a defender to him.  Wojo didn't really do...well...anything.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
SH had 20 turnovers and beat MU by 20.  Thats unreal

MU had 4 points in the first 10 minutes of second half

MU had 6 offensive charge calls

Fischer had 3 walks within two feet of basket

D. Wilson will have a good game, then a bad one.  This was a bad one.

Carter has played terrible last five games and tonight was his worst. Almost embarrassing for the young guy

This team is soft, especially on the boards.  They miss a big banger type and have needed one for years.

No hustle for balls, handed away passes, just not there.  Cheatham only one that showed up.

i just pray that carter does not become the next derrick wilson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »

We need a lot. We need the player described above as well as true PG and guard who can hit from behind the arc.

I still believe that Traci will be that true PG once he gets used to the college/BEast game. We'll have Rowsey next year who seems to be that shooter. A banger does seem like it would be valuable. I agree that it's been a long time.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »

Plenty of Jucos without chips on shoulder just as there are plenty of non Jucos with.  It's desire, toughness, mentality driven desire. 

The head coach we have is a prime example.  So were many of his non Juco teammates at Duke.  Tough as nails.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »
We are fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
I don't get the "this team is soft"….they were in foul trouble…when they were aggressive they were getting whistled like crazy for offensive fouls….rewatch the Wisconsin game…or even much of the first half...sure didn't look "soft" to me.

What would not looking soft even look like?   Rebounding advantage…I get that…winning the 50/50 balls…I get that….spewing blood from the eyeballs…what?

Just didn't have it tonight for the second half…I call it more inexperience that lack of toughness (however that is measured).

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2015, 08:41:58 PM »
We are fine.

if by fine you mean bottom half of the Beast, borderline NIT team, then I agree we are just fine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »
I don't get the "this team is soft"….they were in foul trouble…when they were aggressive they were getting whistled like crazy for offensive fouls….rewatch the Wisconsin game…or even much of the first half...sure didn't look "soft" to me.

What would not looking soft even look like?   Rebounding advantage…I get that…winning the 50/50 balls…I get that….spewing blood from the eyeballs…what?

Just didn't have it tonight for the second half…I call it more inexperience that lack of toughness (however that is measured).

Luke and Henry were getting pushed off their spots and constantly misfiring due mostly to physical defense. 

And they were brutally outrebounded.  There were 37 rebounding opportunities due to Seton Hall missing shots.  SHU got 16 of them.  Smaller team pushed Marquette around on the boards all night.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »

Luke and Henry were getting pushed off their spots and constantly misfiring due mostly to physical defense. 

And they were brutally outrebounded.  There were 37 rebounding opportunities due to Seton Hall missing shots.  SHU got 16 of them.  Smaller team pushed Marquette around on the boards all night.

Good reply.  Plus SH out rebounded MU by 17.  49 to 32. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
if by fine you mean bottom half of the Beast, borderline NIT team, then I agree we are just fine.

Agree 100%