collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Is Steven Avery and Brendan dassey innocent in your opinion?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Making a murder  (Read 122682 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Making a murder
« Reply #475 on: August 12, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
Holy crap.

Breaking news that the Dassey conviction has been overturned by a federal judge.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2016/08/12/dassey-wins-ruling-teresa-halbach-murder/88632502/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:16:31 PM by jsglow »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #476 on: August 12, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Holy crap.

Breaking news that the Dassey conviction has been overturned by a federal judge.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2016/08/12/dassey-wins-ruling-teresa-halbach-murder/88632502/

How long until he is framed for murder?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #477 on: August 12, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
Honestly, the Dassey conviction always bothered me.  I'm not recalling all the details but that one didn't sit quite right.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #478 on: August 12, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »
Honestly, the Dassey conviction always bothered me.  I'm not recalling all the details but that one didn't sit quite right.

The confession was borderline coerced and his defense attorney was a joke.  This is a good decision.  The State will definitely attempt to retry. 

In the meantime, the state will likely appeal which means he stays in jail.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #479 on: August 12, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »
The confession was borderline coerced and his defense attorney was a joke.  This is a good decision.  The State will definitely attempt to retry. 

As I mentioned early in this thread, I have a close personal friend who knows ALL the players well.  Not a high opinion of the attorney mentioned at all.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #480 on: August 12, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
As I mentioned early in this thread, I have a close personal friend who knows ALL the players well.  Not a high opinion of the attorney mentioned at all.

The behavior of his attorney in the documentary was disgusting.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #481 on: August 12, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
Justice finally made an appearance today

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #482 on: August 12, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »

His first public defender was particularly disturbing.  The magistrate's ruling is essentially substantiates his incompetence; coupled with the high profile nature of this case, I'd say his career as a lawyer, let alone a judge, is nearly over.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:30:05 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #483 on: August 12, 2016, 06:26:03 PM »

Good luck with that.  State doesn't stand a chance, now. Dassey is soon to be a free man.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:29:36 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #484 on: August 12, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »
Good luck with that.  State doesn't stand a chance, now. Dassey is soon to be a free man.

With the 'confession' probably out the window, I'd only be comfortable pursuing this further based on genuine hard evidence.  My recollection is they really didn't have any and that the testimony didn't match the forensics.  Separately, i don't think this really has anything to do with Avery's guilt or innocence.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #485 on: August 12, 2016, 08:14:27 PM »
With the 'confession' probably out the window, I'd only be comfortable pursuing this further based on genuine hard evidence.  My recollection is they really didn't have any and that the testimony didn't match the forensics.  Separately, i don't think this really has anything to do with Avery's guilt or innocence.

The testimony...that the biased documentary decided to include...did not match the forensics. There were some details that Dassey provided that the documentary conveniently found unimportant to include that only someone who at the very least assisted in the clean up would have known. Or if you want to believe the conspiracy, he was making things up and after the car was already in evidence they tampered with the car to fit Dassey's confession. Oh and the defense will have you believe that Dassey is too stupid to know what he's doing and too easily influenced...but read an elaborate adult 300 page novel and remembered intricate details about it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #486 on: August 12, 2016, 10:15:33 PM »
I agree that the documentary was incredibly biased.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #487 on: August 12, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »
I agree that the documentary was incredibly biased.

The documentary is activist journalism without stating so, which makes it (in my mind) somewhat dangerous propaganda.

That said, having lived through that episode in my surrounding community,  my personal belief is that this overruling is a good thing. Do I think Dassey is "guilty" in the sense that he was there? I do. But forgetting for a moment how woefully inadequate his legal counsel was, this case should have been tossed on procedural grounds in the first go around. There is the behavior of the prosecution when dealing with a minor, and there is Dassey's limited mental faculties.

This is the justice system working the way it should, many years too late

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #488 on: August 12, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
The testimony...that the biased documentary decided to include...did not match the forensics. There were some details that Dassey provided that the documentary conveniently found unimportant to include that only someone who at the very least assisted in the clean up would have known. Or if you want to believe the conspiracy, he was making things up and after the car was already in evidence they tampered with the car to fit Dassey's confession. Oh and the defense will have you believe that Dassey is too stupid to know what he's doing and too easily influenced...but read an elaborate adult 300 page novel and remembered intricate details about it.

Biased or not, there's absolutely no physical evidence connecting Dassey to the murder.  If the decision isn't overturned on appeal, the Dassey will walk.   There's no way the State will re-try, and if they do, there's no way they'll convince a jury without a confession or any meaningful evidence.  Bank on it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #489 on: August 12, 2016, 11:30:53 PM »
Biased or not, there's absolutely no physical evidence connecting Dassey to the murder.  If the decision isn't overturned on appeal, the Dassey will walk.   There's no way the State will re-try, and if they do, there's no way they'll convince a jury without a confession or any meaningful evidence.  Bank on it.

I understand that Brendan will walk because of how the investigation was handled and his lawyer basically working against him.  That doesn't mean that Dassey is innocent.  He'd have to be pretty good at guessing in order to get the fact that Halbach was shot 3 times and that Avery had to open the hood of Hablach's Rav4 and that they threw her body in the back of her Rav4 (hence her blood consistent with her bleeding head leaving blood marks as if the blood was coming from long hair in the trunk of her Rav4) if he had nothing to do with any of this.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #490 on: August 12, 2016, 11:47:39 PM »
In the very little bit of Dassey's confession that they include in MAM, I believe he says that they slashed her throat inside Avery's trailer and then dragged her out to the garage and shot her.  What about this theory...Avery gets Halbach into his trailer and attempts to rape her after she takes pictures of the van.  She tries to fight Avery off and Avery ends up strangling her to the point that he believes that he has murdered her.

He wraps the body in a tarp or something that will act as a body bag with the plans of putting her into her car and dumping her in the pond that Dassey will eventually claim they drove to to dump her in.  He has to move Halbach's car and her body into his garage in order for it to go unnoticed by family member neighbors.  Whether he moves the car into the garage first or the wrapped up body first, not sure, but regardless, while moving the body he realizes she's still breathing.

If her body is wrapped up in some kind of tarp and Avery shot her through the tarp, would that contain blood splatter?  My guess is not entirely but probably some, so maybe the blood splatter was contained enough that, while Avery did need to bleach his garage floor to make sure there was none left on it, it also was possible to completely wipe the garage floor of it.  Avery could have then called Dassey to help him bleach his garage floor, leading to Dassey's jeans becoming bleach stained and would explain how it is possible that there was no blood found in the garage despite the bullet fragment being found in there, and thus not planted.

They then did throw her in the back of the Rav4, Avery collects all of Halbach's personal items that he can find, he can't find her phone so he calls her phone (hence the phone call to her phone, this time not using *67, because he knows that Halbach is dead, so why would he have to hide his number from her phone?) in order to hear the ring, blood trickles out of the tarp, the pond is dried up, they make a fire that night and throw her body and personal items in it, and that's where all the evidence ends up.  Heck, maybe her phone is even in the cup holder that he left his blood in and he left his blood there while reaching for her phone.

brandx

« Reply #491 on: August 12, 2016, 11:55:08 PM »
I understand that Brendan will walk because of how the investigation was handled and his lawyer basically working against him.  That doesn't mean that Dassey is innocent. 

No way of knowing if he was innocent or guilty, but this was absolutely the right decision. Unbelievable incompetence by almost all of those in authority. The scary thing is that similar trials go on all the time.

If the state has evidence, re-try. Otherwise, drop it.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #492 on: August 13, 2016, 12:34:34 AM »
In the very little bit of Dassey's confession that they include in MAM, I believe he says that they slashed her throat inside Avery's trailer and then dragged her out to the garage and shot her.  What about this theory...Avery gets Halbach into his trailer and attempts to rape her after she takes pictures of the van.  She tries to fight Avery off and Avery ends up strangling her to the point that he believes that he has murdered her.

He wraps the body in a tarp or something that will act as a body bag with the plans of putting her into her car and dumping her in the pond that Dassey will eventually claim they drove to to dump her in.  He has to move Halbach's car and her body into his garage in order for it to go unnoticed by family member neighbors.  Whether he moves the car into the garage first or the wrapped up body first, not sure, but regardless, while moving the body he realizes she's still breathing.

If her body is wrapped up in some kind of tarp and Avery shot her through the tarp, would that contain blood splatter?  My guess is not entirely but probably some, so maybe the blood splatter was contained enough that, while Avery did need to bleach his garage floor to make sure there was none left on it, it also was possible to completely wipe the garage floor of it.  Avery could have then called Dassey to help him bleach his garage floor, leading to Dassey's jeans becoming bleach stained and would explain how it is possible that there was no blood found in the garage despite the bullet fragment being found in there, and thus not planted.

They then did throw her in the back of the Rav4, Avery collects all of Halbach's personal items that he can find, he can't find her phone so he calls her phone (hence the phone call to her phone, this time not using *67, because he knows that Halbach is dead, so why would he have to hide his number from her phone?) in order to hear the ring, blood trickles out of the tarp, the pond is dried up, they make a fire that night and throw her body and personal items in it, and that's where all the evidence ends up.  Heck, maybe her phone is even in the cup holder that he left his blood in and he left his blood there while reaching for her phone.
Dude...seriously?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #493 on: August 13, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
Avery is a disgusting murderer
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #494 on: August 13, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »

I like it!

I look forward to this screenplay being adapted for Spike Lee's dramaticized version of the documentary (it could replace the one he was planning to do about Hoop Dreams but never did).

As for Dassey, I always felt he was totally screwed by the system and should have walked.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #495 on: August 13, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
I understand that Brendan will walk because of how the investigation was handled and his lawyer basically working against him.  That doesn't mean that Dassey is innocent.  He'd have to be pretty good at guessing in order to get the fact that Halbach was shot 3 times and that Avery had to open the hood of Hablach's Rav4 and that they threw her body in the back of her Rav4 (hence her blood consistent with her bleeding head leaving blood marks as if the blood was coming from long hair in the trunk of her Rav4) if he had nothing to do with any of this.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. The prosecution and his own attorney unnatural carnal knowledgeed up. He should walk.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:32:47 PM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #496 on: August 13, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
Avery is a disgusting murderer

Maybe. Maybe not.

But this recent news has almost nothing to do with him. Keep up.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #497 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
Maybe. Maybe not.

But this recent news has almost nothing to do with him. Keep up.

He is a disgusting murderer. It bears repeating. Keep up.

PS - wish the topic of this thread wasn't "wrong"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2016, 06:01:48 PM »

Shoulda probably stuck to his day job then, Eyn'a?  Hopefully he wasn't a "warrior".
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #499 on: August 18, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
He is a disgusting murderer. It bears repeating. Keep up.

Chances are, he probably is.  Which makes the D.A.'s and the County's behavior all the more disgusting... it's because of the Mad Kratzer's, Tweedle-Colborn's, and Tweedle-Wiegert's extreme incompetence / arrogance that the people of Manitowoc County are now faced with the extreme likelihood that not just one, but potentially two murders are going to be set free.... consider the following:

Let's assume for a moment that Dassey and Avery did do it.  Moreover, let's say that everything happened exactly the way the prosecution presented it.  If the State doesn't retry Dassey, one murderer walks.  If the State does retry Dassey - and let's face facts, here... there's no way that even if an impartial jury can be found anywhere in Wisconsin is going to convict Dassey without the confession - Dassey is most likely going to be acquitted.  And then, thanks to the Fifth Amendment, Dassey could come clean without fear of further prosecution and even testify that he acted alone (which is actually a popular theory in circulation), which means Stevie eventually walks, too. 

As a result, it won't be long before two murderers go free.

So it bears repeating: two murderers may go free because of the extreme incompetence / arrogance of three men:

1. Ken Kratz
2. Andrew Colborn
3. Mark Wiegert

The anger, frustration, fear, sadness, and every other emotion that the Halbach family and residents of Manitowoc County will now have to relive rests not with Avery, Dassey, the producers or social media... it rests with these three men.

And inevitably, Dassey and Avery will write a book... which will be eventually be published c. 2032 after going through a dozen different proofreaders who died of exhaustion and/or multiple simultaneous aneurysms.