collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jimmy Buffett sails into the sunset  (Read 1150 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Jimmy Buffett sails into the sunset
« on: September 02, 2023, 06:45:50 AM »
Never a huge fan but was insanely successful in his niche.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Jimmy Buffett sails into the sunset
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 07:16:59 AM »
Have seen him probably 50 times all over the country. Some of my best memories are in the lawns, dressed like a fool, dancing and singing away. Recently saw my uncle for the first time in awhile, walked in, and his first words were, “How’s your mom, and Alexa, play Jimmy Buffett.” Named my second kid at Alpine, I wanted Jimmy, but alas I was drunk, my wife was five days from having our son, but I was damn ready to drive that getaway car. Well, I thought I was.

Always a party.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 08:25:46 AM »
I was never a big fan but that totally sucks. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 09:11:03 AM »
That sucks. Saw him in concert a few times, but that was my least favorite part of his music. I liked him most when I would just sit on my back patio, drinking a Pacifico, and listening to songs like  A Pirate Looks at 40. First doing that, I thought 40 was  quite far into the future. Now 40 is well in the rearview mirror.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 11:48:58 AM »
Couldn’t get into his music at all. Not even live covers appealed to me. But a ton of respect for everything he did. And by all accounts he was a cool and humble guy. 

Wonder if it will come out that he’s been quietly battling cancer or something of the like because 76 is pretty young for a teetotal billionaire who lived a laid back lifestyle

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 12:18:32 PM »
Couldn’t get into his music at all. Not even live covers appealed to me. But a ton of respect for everything he did. And by all accounts he was a cool and humble guy. 

Wonder if it will come out that he’s been quietly battling cancer or something of the like because 76 is pretty young for a teetotal billionaire who lived a laid back lifestyle
Skin Cancer and Lymphoma

https://www.tmz.com/2023/09/02/jimmy-buffett-dead-dies-76/

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 06:36:00 PM »
I smoked more pot with more old folks at Jimmy Buffett shows that I have anywhere else. Something about his music brought generations together. Escapism at its finest, I'll miss going to his shows they were always a riot.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 06:57:07 PM »
Drop a buck or two to the Save the Manatee foundation he started.  https://www.savethemanatee.org/

Was fortunate enough to meet him a few times. While I was always a fan of his music (fins and volcano songs not withstanding), he was a far better person than his music persona.
We were fortunate enough to get invited to a private performance at our local  performing arts center, the Kravis Center here in WPB. It benefited the local arts schools. Thought it was a nice touch, as people like author James Patterson are big supporters. The start of the concert was introduced by one of the students, who also happened to be his daughter. Later than week, we had stopped into the local ice cream shop, where we were served by a local kid....his daughter. Though worth millions if not more, she was working at the local store like a normal kid.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 07:52:02 AM »
My wife asked last night what genre of music is Jimmy Buffett considered?

My daughter and I thought he's almost his own genre as I don't think Yacht Rock is a genre and we just labeled it Beach Rock.
Thoughts?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2023, 07:59:57 AM »

My daughter and I thought he's almost his own genre as I don't think Yacht Rock is a genre and we just labeled it Beach Rock.
Thoughts?

It’s tropical rock, or “trop rock.” 

https://troprock.org/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 08:00:05 AM »
Key West rock.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2023, 09:00:15 AM »

Thoughts?

The dream

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2023, 09:10:58 AM »
As my wife and I reminisced over a perfect margarita on the rocks, tears welling up, memories flooding my heart, our closest friends and longest Buffett concert travelers posted this:

I’m kind of at a loss for words today. A lot of laughter through tears thinking back and looking at all the amazing pictures of our Jimmy Buffett memories through the years.

The road trips, buses, limos, RVs, tequila shots, uncooked cheeseburgers, drinko, slip & slides, the gas-powered blender, Wrigley, New Orleans, Poplar Creek, Blossom, Toronto, Cincinnati, Tinley Park, Vegas, San Francisco, our beloved Alpine Valley, flip-flops, palm tree hair, the leis, Hawaiian shirts, coconut bras and grass skirts, the Milano cookies, the sober pregnant years, the Coronas, loaded Landsharks, and the many many margaritas.

The songs… really the soundtrack of our courtship, marriage and children’s lives. Our kids and dogs named after Jimmy’s children, songs or places. The countless memories, laughs, and conversations with our many parrothead friends, especially (insert my wife and me here). This parrothead lifestyle has been part of every aspect of our life and really epitomizes my husband… work hard, play hard; life is always better at the water; and it’s hard to have a bad day with a margarita in your hand.

Thanks for the music and the amazing memories Jimmy. We are having a few margaritas for you today. #finsup #bubblesup 😭🦜❤️

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I will raise my tin cup chalice filled with good red wine to the hundreds of thousands of our closest friends who gathered over the years to bring generations together, to dance and sing for an evening, to reminisce, to love. I really don’t revere anyone or have a hero, but Jimmy is as big a part of my last 30+ years as anything. “Some of it’s magic, and some of it’s tragic, but I had a good life all the way.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 11:44:38 AM »
Skin cancer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2023, 11:23:52 AM »
I read about this story last night from someone that was there in 1996: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/02/arts/music/jimmy-buffett-bono-plane-jamaica-mistaica.html

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.