[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Is Steven Avery and Brendan dassey innocent in your opinion?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Making a murder  (Read 122516 times)

JD

• All American
Making a murder
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:40:32 AM »
I just finished watching "making a murder" on Netflix, and wow...

I voted no (on accident) When I first started watching the film, I was set on both parties being guilty, however this film changed my opinion

If you're looking for a really eye opening short 10 video series, I highly suggest watching. 

Also the Yelp comments on Ken kratz law office is hilarious.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kratz-law-firm-west-bend
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:53:52 AM by JD »
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Eldon

• All American
Re: Making a murder
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
Absolutely phenomenal show.  Amazing that the film had ZERO narration and yet it was as captivating as it was.

The film definitely reduced the degree of certainty that I had about the Averys killing her.  I'm still not 100% sold that they are innocent. 

Innocence question aside, I don't see how a jury convicts him.  Even if he did do it, IMO there is enough there for reasonable doubt.  The Manitowoc Sheriff deputies should have been nowhere near the Avery property.  And yet they are the ones who find all of the crucial evidence?  As I see it (and I'm far from a legal scholar), Avery was never given a fair trial because he was not given a fair arrest, as it were.  In other words, the deck was stacked against him going into the trial.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:24:03 AM »
        wow! just read a bunch of kk's comments on yelp.  wow again!  i voted NO as in avery and nephew guilty, but now i'm going to have to watch the netflix documentary.  thanks for bringing this to our attention.  this seemed like an open/closed case as reported by the media.  isn't it special how the deprived can rise to the level of power they do(ken kratz)  it seems he did so not to do the job he was supposed to be doing, but rather to facilitate or provide a means to feed his sexual fantasies and ego-a little misplaced would be an understatement-heyna? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »
I don't know how anyone could watch this series and feel that the Avery's are guilty. I honestly don't know where to begin, but the treatment of Brendan and the role that Len Kachinsky played in this thing is especially appalling.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
        wow! just read a bunch of kk's comments on yelp.  wow again!  i voted NO as in avery and nephew guilty, but now i'm going to have to watch the netflix documentary.  thanks for bringing this to our attention.  this seemed like an open/closed case as reported by the media.  isn't it special how the deprived can rise to the level of power they do(ken kratz)  it seems he did so not to do the job he was supposed to be doing, but rather to facilitate or provide a means to feed his sexual fantasies and ego-a little misplaced would be an understatement-heyna?

Total railroad job by the Manitowoc County Sheriff's department

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »
Two episodes in and loving it. Very well done, guessing we'll have binged it all by this weekend.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 05:51:38 PM »
I don't know how anyone could watch this series and feel that the Avery's are guilty. I honestly don't know where to begin, but the treatment of Brendan and the role that Len Kachinsky played in this thing is especially appalling.

Haven't watched it, but am familiar with the case. Based on the physical evidence, don't know how anyone could think Avery isn't good for the murder.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »

I haven't watched it yet -I will soon - but is there a point that the movie is trying to make? And if so, doesn't that mean they might leave out stuff that might lead to a different conclusion?

Since you have watched it already, I'd be interested in your opinion as to whether the show presents both sides or if is advocating for innocence.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Finished watching it last night. Not sure what to think as far as their guilt or innocence goes.

The series does seem very one sided, but my guess is that the prosecution was offered to give their side, but likely refused to participate.

I don't think the series is trying to claim innocence for either Avery or Dassey, but that neither one received what we as Americans have a constitutional right to, and that is a fair trial. I do think the documentary makes a very strong case for that, especially in regards to the treatment of Dassey.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »
I haven't watched it yet -I will soon - but is there a point that the movie is trying to make? And if so, doesn't that mean they might leave out stuff that might lead to a different conclusion?

Since you have watched it already, I'd be interested in your opinion as to whether the show presents both sides or if is advocating for innocence.

If you're going to watch it, I won't get into too many specifics. But I will admit I think the filmmakers did have an agenda here, but after seeing the way this investigation/case was handled it seems well founded to me. FWIW there is a lot of courtroom footage that presents the prosecution's case.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »
Three episodes in I'd say it is advocating for innocence, and it makes a really compelling case. I'd love to hear the other side, because frankly it feels unreal that they got a conviction given the circumstances.

Maybe things will change, but I came in with no doubt that Steven Avery was guilty. After watching the first few episodes, I can't imagine anyone not seeing this as a clear frame up.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 07:37:12 PM »
Gracias Tortuga, Lazer, and Brew.

JD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »
I agree with what most are saying.

I'm not sure Avery and dassey are innocent, but I don't see how you can get a conviction of a guilty verdict after seeing this.

Scary, really.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 06:36:29 PM »
dassey's confession was too detailed for a 60 i.q.  besides, producers had too much of a vested interest in either creating doubt or leaning not guilty.  they spent 10 years on this thing. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 08:07:01 PM »
dassey's confession was too detailed for a 60 i.q.  besides, producers had too much of a vested interest in either creating doubt or leaning not guilty.  they spent 10 years on this thing.

You think Dassey's confession is actually what happened? Despite the evidence found in Avery's trailer and the timeline given by the prosecution...not to mention his attorney wasn't there and the detectives clearly coerced the entire thing.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:01 PM »

It flowed so smoothly because he got the story from a movie (Kiss the Girls), as evidenced by the fact that he told police that he cut Halbach's hair, which happens in that movie.  I've never seen the movie, but apparently the way that Dassey said that he killed Halbach is the same way that the murderer in the movie kills his victims.

Anyway, I agree that you should always be skeptical about documentaries.  The makers of most typically have an agenda.  But even if there is bias in this particular documentary, those Manitowoc Sheriffs should have been nowhere near that crime scene.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 02:56:24 AM »
*SPOILER ALERT*

Anyone here from Manitowac?
How has this affected your community?

It sure did seem like he may get off the charges.
Curious to see what was the damning evidence that compelled the jury to decide the way they did.
SS Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 05:57:41 AM »
I'm very surprised by the poll results so far. A bunch of people just going off of what they heard on TV.

What a complete railroad job. All of those public employees involved should be fired. Hopefully their community is outraged.

http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-helps-making-a-murderer-subject-steven-avery-2015-12

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »
Dassey's confession appears to be a complete joke. They show a ton of the interview footage, including the original interviews by detectives without his mother present, the special investigator that kept telling him what to add to his story and what to draw in his letter, and the subsequent interviews by detectives without his lawyer present where they keep badgering him and feeding him what he should say.

I get that the documentary has an agenda, but until someone presents information that conclusively proves otherwise, that confession was a series of browbeating authority figures taking advantage of a learning disabled child by telling him exactly what to say and draw to support their case.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Even the conviction of Avery.

I mean, he may have done it. But he definitely didn't do what the prosecution said. They found a bullet with blood on it in the garage, but no other blood at all? I mean, that's impossible. There would be at least blood splatter over all of the crap in that garage.

They tore that family's property apart for a week, and the only place they found blood was on that bullet and in the back of that poor lady's car. Why in the world, if she was murdered on the property, would her blood end up in the back of her own car? Not in his house, or his garage, or the rest of their property.

Avery may well have killed the victim, but the prosecution's story was complete bullcrap.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
I'm very surprised by the poll results so far. A bunch of people just going off of what they heard on TV.

What a complete railroad job. All of those public employees involved should be fired. Hopefully their community is outraged.

http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-helps-making-a-murderer-subject-steven-avery-2015-12

I accidentally hit NO and would have selected YES.

But that's based on what I watched.

I want to know more about what they DIDN'T show that could be pivotal to the case.
SS Marquette

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 10:52:37 AM »
Haven't watched it, but am familiar with the case. Based on the physical evidence, don't know how anyone could think Avery isn't good for the murder.

Then maybe you should watch it before commenting. While I don't know if Avery is ultimately guilty the evidence presented at his trial absolutely creates reasonable doubt.

And that Brendan Dassey has not received a new trial is absurd.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 11:20:34 AM »
Then maybe you should watch it before commenting. While I don't know if Avery is ultimately guilty the evidence presented at his trial absolutely creates reasonable doubt.

And that Brendan Dassey has not received a new trial is absurd.

I'm familiar with the evidence and the case and have studied it from multiple aspects. I don't need to watch the Netflix special to comment on the case.

The title alone (Making a Murderer - not the subject of this thread) illustrates the bias.

Avery is a sicko murderer.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 11:34:23 AM »
I'm familiar with the evidence and the case and have studied it from multiple aspects. I don't need to watch the Netflix special to comment on the case.

The title alone (Making a Murderer - not the subject of this thread) illustrates the bias.

Avery is a sicko murderer.

The Netflix documentary certainly leans in one direction but that doesn't make the evidence presented any less compelling. This is my first exposure to the case so I did not have any pre-existing bias, as you certainly do.

I don't see how a reasonable, logical person can look at what the defense presented and not see a reasonable doubt in regards to his guilt. If she was killed in the garage as stated, where's the DNA? There is no way Avery was intelligent enough to remove every last indication of DNA in an environment like that. That's just one of many items that creates doubt in regards to her being killed as the prosecution portrayed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »
Thought this was gonna be 'bout Vince Foster, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"