[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Wojo !  (Read 137325 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo !
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Why fire wojo? He's been coaching fine just needs to coach defense

I don't want him fired. That's just the thread title. Also these memes prove I love him.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »

(I also claim no inside knowledge, and I played basketball for 3 years in middle school coming off the bench and scored a total of 2 points in those 3 years... so I'm just a fan. That loves his team and thinks Wojo is a great recruiter and a solid coach. But still has a ways to go)

Don't sell yourself short - Ners would say that makes you a resident SME

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »
Why? Is it in this thread somewhere?  Seems he's bringing the program back and talent level is going up
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
Why? Is it in this thread somewhere?  Seems he's bringing the program back and talent level is going up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZJ4cotUWc

Basic impatience (no level headed Scooper is actually calling for Wojo's job they're just getting antsy), denial of the fact that with few exceptions consistent high level performance is near impossible to maintain in CBB (see above clip), some folks just don't like Wojo for whatever reason, and mix in a healthy level of trolling and you get this thread.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »

Is the talent level actually going up? I believe someone averaged out the rankings and amount of top 100 (150?) recruits cream buzz and wojo all brought and found it was pretty in line with what we usually get which is a couple 50-100, round out the class with a non 100 four star maybe a three star here or there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
Is the talent level actually going up? I believe someone averaged out the rankings and amount of top 100 (150?) recruits cream buzz and wojo all brought and found it was pretty in line with what we usually get which is a couple 50-100, round out the class with a non 100 four star maybe a three star here or there.

Look at the high school recruits from Buzz's first two classes and Wojo's first two classes. The talent level isn't just going up, it's a rocket shooting through the GD moon.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »
Look at the high school recruits from Buzz's first two classes and Wojo's first two classes. The talent level isn't just going up, it's a rocket shooting through the GD moon.

For many, the cobbled together roster that achieved greatly on the court vastly overshadowed the real difficulty Buzz had in evaluating, and eventually landing, high school talent. He simply does a poor job with this component of the position.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
For many, the cobbled together roster that achieved greatly on the court vastly overshadowed the real difficulty Buzz had in evaluating, and eventually landing, high school talent. He simply does a poor job with this component of the position.
Hopefully with the last scholarship for 2017 we could get a transfer or juco player maybe. Then 2018 get Joey

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
Hopefully with the last scholarship for 2017 we could get a transfer or juco player maybe. Then 2018 get Joey

To be clear, there's technically 2 slots available this Spring.  I don't think anyone expects that both would go to incoming Frosh but that remains a possibility.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2016, 12:07:34 PM »
Make the NCAA tourney and solid grad transfers will come to that open spot.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »

Ahmed Hill & Marial Shayok would look pretty nice in MU unis right now

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »
Ahmed Hill & Marial Shayok would look pretty nice in MU unis right now

We already have that in Haany & Howard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »

In terms of talent evaluation I believe Wojo is better and grabbing better recruits but Cadougan, Williams, Maymonne, Blue and Jones were all top 100s and for the most part rated higher than Houser, Haanif and Bailey are. In terms of national perception Buzz's players were a lot more lauded than what Wojo's brought in. I think Wojo knows who's more likely to pan out but perceptionwise it hasn't changed much.

Buzz brought in: Cadougan, Williams, Maymonne, Blue, Jones, Taylor, *Wilson (former top 100), Burton, Johnson, D Wilson, *Fischer (former top 100) and Sandy
Also got commits from top 100 Harri, Hill, Noskowiak though circumstances sent them elsewhere.

Wojo brought in: Haanif, Ellenson, Hauser, Bailey, *Reinhardt (former top 100), Howard (hard to give an accurate rating of if he'd have been a burger boy or what)
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2016, 02:15:41 PM »
That's part of the problem. Buzz brought in guys who were overrated, Wojo is bringing in guys that are good at basketball.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2016, 09:05:30 PM »
I'm watching Ben Howland's Bulldogs play against E. Tennessee St.

a - VERY empty arena in Starkville - if anyone wants to argue that there is any competition for your entertainment dollar in Starkville, MS other than a Miss St athletic event, i'm all ears.
b - if this ref crew was assigned any MU game Luke wouldn't get 3 fouls in any game
c - Miss St. lost at home to E. Tenn St.
d - clearly there needs to be a firing in Mississippi
z - we all wish the BODs would've been rational and taken one of these types of proven coaches

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2016, 11:06:49 PM »
Buzz brought in guys who were overrated, Wojo is bringing in guys that are good at basketball.

Guess that's why Buzz's teams sucked and Wojo's are winning championships.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2016, 11:24:34 PM »
Guess that's why Buzz's teams sucked and Wojo's are winning championships.

Please, go through their high school recruits and tell me how that's an incorrect statement.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
Please, go through their high school recruits and tell me how that's an incorrect statement.

I don't count HE as a high school player - to me he was Matt Carlino or Katin Reinhardt, a one year transfer.

That leaves Matt Heldt, Traci Carter and HC from class #1. HC was pretty good at playing basketball as a freshman, not very good so far this year. Traci was "meh", Matt's a little less than that.

This year's two are better. Sam can play and Markus can really play.

Of the three guys next year I don't see any sure things.

Lots of Buzz's guys were either overrated or didn't have the toughness required to make it in his program - I'll grant you that. From what I've seen, that toughness isn't as much a requirement with Wojo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2016, 09:37:36 AM »
I don't count HE as a high school player - to me he was Matt Carlino or Katin Reinhardt, a one year transfer.

"My point is correct only if I get to redefine words."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
"My point is correct only if I get to redefine words."

I'm not even saying my point is correct, just offering opinions.

But I do stand by the premise that a one and done, whether from high school, college transfer or grad transfer is a category unto itself. High school guys I expect 4 years from, Jucos 2 or 3 depending when they arrive - one and dones obviously 1. IMO how long you'll have a player skews their worth.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2016, 09:04:20 PM »
Given that certain schools who have won multiple national championships have found one and dones out of high school to be transformative, I'm not sure you can so easily equate a "played one year and was then a first round NBA draft pick" to a "graduate transfer on his third school who is unlikely to play basketball again except pick up games at the Y."  Henry's problem wasn't lack of a multi year commitment to the team, it was timing.  It would have been better had he come when we had a solid core of experienced players to make the most of his ability.  Wish we had him for this year or next year instead.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »

That leaves Matt Heldt, Traci Carter and HC from class #1. HC was pretty good at playing basketball as a freshman, not very good so far this year. Traci was "meh", Matt's a little less than that.

This year's two are better. Sam can play and Markus can really play.

Of the three guys next year I don't see any sure things.

Lots of Buzz's guys were either overrated or didn't have the toughness required to make it in his program - I'll grant you that. From what I've seen, that toughness isn't as much a requirement with Wojo.

Buzz's first class was Junior Cadougan, Jeronne Maymon, Erik Williams, and Youssoupha Mbao. Traci was better than Junior after two seasons, Henry was better than Maymon, Haanif is better than Williams, and Heldt is better than Mbao. Buzz's second class was Vander, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith, and Davante. At least as freshmen, I'd take Howard and Hauser over Vander and Jones.

That leaves Sacar Anim from Wojo's first class and Smith and Gardner from Buzz's second class. Anim hasn't offered much, but it's been more than Smith. Will any of next year's recruits be the next Davante? We can only hope, but if Buzz is winning one out of 8 comparisons, I think it's safe to say Wojo is a better evaluator and recruiter of high school talent.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:08 PM »
Who got more out of his players?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2016, 10:31:50 PM »
Who got more out of his players?

High school players? Wojo. Unless Buzz got bonuses for the frequent flier miles they racked up when they left.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:31 AM »
That's part of the problem. Buzz brought in guys who were overrated, Wojo is bringing in guys that are good at basketball.
I think Wojo is bringing in high IQ guys, but then I watch UW get several wide open shots under the basket when MU is not smart enough to do the proper switching. Maybe recruiting good shooters versus recruiting lower skilled, but more athletic switchables is not as good as we think it is.