Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you deem "acceptable" as a result for this team this season?

Finish above .500 (play NIT or CBI)
Finish as a solid bubble team but miss out on the big dance (play NIT)
Make big dance but lose in the first round
Make it to at least the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament
Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do, win the whole f'in thing(Final Four anyway)
Win one game in the NCAA tournament

Author Topic: Go on record before the drama starts  (Read 34445 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Go on record before the drama starts
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2015, 12:52:44 PM »
Game Show Network, huh?

You couldn't even begin to comprehend...

Just how vast is your library of VHS recordings of Press Your Luck and Match Game?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
Game Show Network, huh?

You couldn't even begin to comprehend...

I don't care to comprehend anything about your pretentious self. 

Carry on, bud.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
Just how vast is your library of VHS recordings of Press Your Luck and Match Game?

VHS??? BetaMAx!

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
There is some legitimate addition by subtraction from last year

There is no such thing as addition by subtraction in basketball, unless you replace their scholarships with better players. Any player is better than an empty seat on the bench, which we have two of.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
No, I was the guy that thought you're a creepy old man who for some strange reason felt it necessary to post half naked women on here constantly, resulting in making scoop NSFW.

You can get back to the game show network now!
You must be the only guy on Scoop who doesn't appreciate the Israeli hotties.  I'm sure Chick doesn't appreciate them, but she doesn't pee in our Cheerios.  Go yell at the kids on your lawn.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
And you think Marquette fans are in fantasy land? Hah!

Hoyas were a 4 seed last year, how is moving up to a 3 seed fantasy? If you're talking about 1 seed yes that's more of a stretch, but if the BE regular season champ also wins the BET they'll get a 1 seed and as the team picked second in the preseason, winning the BE is not a stretch.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »
Just watched MU win the National Championship again on the Internet. I AM CHARGED!
LET'S GET IT ON!

Eye

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
It's October. Might as well start it early. They gotta fill the field.
GO WARRIORS!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »
There is no such thing as addition by subtraction in basketball, unless you replace their scholarships with better players. Any player is better than an empty seat on the bench, which we have two of.

I am fairly confident that the newcomers will be more effective basketball players than Juan, Derrick and Steve Taylor JR. Is that better?

You must be the only guy on Scoop who doesn't appreciate the Israeli hotties.  I'm sure Chick doesn't appreciate them, but she doesn't pee in our Cheerios.  Go yell at the kids on your lawn.

I doubt that.

If I want to see half naked girls, there is that thing called Google. I don't care to see it when I come to scoop to read about Marquette basketball. Not really that outrageous.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2015, 07:51:57 PM »

If I want to see half naked girls, there is that thing called Google. I don't care to see it when I come to scoop to read about Marquette basketball. Not really that outrageous.
-1.  Respect the meme!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2015, 12:46:58 AM »
We're adding a lottery pick, a top 10 talent. I don't think most fans know how to process this.

That plus Tony Miller 2.0, has me thinking Sweet 16.  If TC was still here, I'd say NIT, or first round, but I don't think Wojo will hinder us like TC would.   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 07:50:57 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2015, 12:56:58 AM »
We're adding a lottery pick, a top 10 talent. I don't think most fans know how to process this.

That plus Tony Miller 2.0, has me thinking Sweet 16.  If TC was still here, I'd say NIT, or first rigid, but I don't think Wojo will hinder us like TC would.

Or, it could be that some of us think he is potentially really good, but not a top 10 talent or a lottery pick.  That doesn't mean not good enough to be a first rounder, that doesn't mean he isn't really good....and maybe he is truly that good, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him play against quality competition.

AND, even if he is that good, do we have the talent at the guard spots to compete for the year?

I hope we do, but those are two areas of concern for me.  I think HE is probably really good and at times will be great, and at times like a freshman.  The guard play has me more worried.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2015, 03:31:49 AM »
Or, it could be that some of us think he is potentially really good, but not a top 10 talent or a lottery pick.  That doesn't mean not good enough to be a first rounder, that doesn't mean he isn't really good....and maybe he is truly that good, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him play against quality competition.

AND, even if he is that good, do we have the talent at the guard spots to compete for the year?

I hope we do, but those are two areas of concern for me.  I think HE is probably really good and at times will be great, and at times like a freshman.  The guard play has me more worried.

Marquette is young and will play young many times this season. I think there is a lot of time between now and Selection Sunday. We'll know by mid-Feb what we have in this year's team.

Basketball is a game of runs and experience is a key ingredient in not just manufacturing them but, more importantly, in stopping another team's momentum. Let's see how they deal with legitimate adversity.

Death on call

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2015, 07:50:19 AM »

I believe in Traci. And Duane is a 3rd year player.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Boone

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »
I fear our lack of frontcourt depth will come back to bite us.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
I think Henry is going to be very good.      I just don't understand how anyone can predict that a team with.....

(A) 10 scholarship players.
(B) 3 of whom are taller than 6'6
(C) 5 of whom are freshmen
(D)  off of a 13-19 team that lost a lot of scoring and rebounding
(E) with two freshman point guards, one of whom was not a point guard in high school

....is a second weekend of the tournament team.   Pure homerism.   I would never predict those kind of things for a team that wasn't MU, unless it was another one of Kentucky's ridiculous freshman classes.    Too many things have to go right along with no injuries to Luke, Henry, Duane, or Traci for this team to sniff the big dance.    I hope this gets thrown in my face as the worst prediction ever in 4 months.   But for now, I am going not going to set the bar too high. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2015, 10:31:32 AM »
I think Henry is going to be very good.      I just don't understand how anyone can predict that a team with.....

(E) with two freshman point guards, one of whom was not a point guard in high school

....is a second weekend of the tournament team.   Pure homerism.   I would never predict those kind of things for a team that wasn't MU, unless it was another one of Kentucky's ridiculous freshman classes.    Too many things have to go right along with no injuries to Luke, Henry, Duane, or Traci for this team to sniff the big dance.    I hope this gets thrown in my face as the worst prediction ever in 4 months.   But for now, I am going not going to set the bar too high.
Agreed.  I'm hopeful for this team, but there are a lot of ifs, ands or buts.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2015, 10:39:05 AM »
I agree with Sultan that I'm thinking 7-10 seed range. It was just the Madness scrimmage, but our outside shooting looked much better (couldn't really get worse). Henry is better than anyone we had last year. I think Wally could give us a lot of what Juan did (and Juan was a starter and people are talking about Wally as a 7th man).

Luke being healthy. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I assume Luke blocked many shots with his good arm. Fighting for position and going up with two hands for a rebound would be much more difficult with a bum shoulder than blocking shots.

I'm still worried about defense and turnovers from our guards. Freshman PG and JJJ hasn't been great at taking care of the ball. However, there's a lot to be optimistic about this team. If we get some breaks and players have developed well, we could be in for a fun year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2015, 10:54:42 AM »

Or you could see a...
(A) A Top 10 freshman who could start on any team in the country
(B) A surgically repaired, highest rated Big East center in the coaches' preseason poll
(C) An All-Big Freshman shooting guard who led all conference freshmen in scoring
(D) A true pass and shoot point freshman guard who dropped deeply in the recruiting ratings because of knee surgery that he is now 100% recovered from finally and who has been the highest flyer in Italy and preseason in terms of development.
(E) Two top 100 threes who have vastly improved in the off season aspects of their frame or game...notably shooting in space which there will be plenty off with A-D in place this season.
(F) Throw in three freshmen who can adequately play significant roles off the bench as part of a Top 10 recruiting class.
(G) These are Wojo's guys

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »

Yup.  As I was reading your post I thought to myself "man, this is going to be the first post on Brew's 3-page long boast post when MU makes the Sweet 16."

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »
I am fairly confident that the newcomers will be more effective basketball players than Juan, Derrick and Steve Taylor JR. Is that better?

I doubt that.

Not even close.  C'mon man.   Mostly fully clothed attractive women.
Never trolled Google and never will. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
Or you could see a...
(B) A surgically repaired, highest rated Big East center in the coaches' preseason poll
(C) An All-Big Freshman shooting guard who led all conference freshmen in scoring
(D) A true pass and shoot point freshman guard who dropped deeply in the recruiting ratings because of knee surgery that he is now 100% recovered from finally and who has been the highest flyer in Italy and preseason in terms of development.
(E) Two top 100 threes who have vastly improved in the off season aspects of their frame or game...notably shooting in space which there will be plenty off with A-D in place this season.
(F) Throw in three freshmen who can adequately play significant roles off the bench as part of a Top 10 recruiting class.

Glass 100% full attitude. I love it. I am cautiously feeling the same way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
Or you could see a...
That is the ceiling and certainly the preferred scenario.   Just like everybody else, I would prefer for you to be right and for me to be that guy who was a real Debbie-downer in the preseason.    But it isn't where I would place my money.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
That is the ceiling and certainly the preferred scenario.   Just like everybody else, I would prefer for you to be right and for me to be that guy who was a real Debbie-downer in the preseason.    But it isn't where I would place my money.

Both of you are right. The difference is most of Tower's points are cold hard facts. A lot of the good doctor's points are speculation. I think somewhere in the middle is the actual right answer. Hoping Dr. B is the more correct of the two
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
I'll be very happy with a .500 record in conference play and a thorough drubbing of Wisconsin.