Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you deem "acceptable" as a result for this team this season?

Finish above .500 (play NIT or CBI)
Finish as a solid bubble team but miss out on the big dance (play NIT)
Make big dance but lose in the first round
Make it to at least the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament
Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do, win the whole f'in thing(Final Four anyway)
Win one game in the NCAA tournament

Author Topic: Go on record before the drama starts  (Read 34441 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Go on record before the drama starts
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »
My expectations for how the team will play haven't changed but I think the results are a little more pessimistic.  I think top to bottom, the Big East is better than I thought and I think Marquette is about where I thought they'd be, ergo they will not perform quite as well as I thought.  I think they go 10-8 and 2-1 in MSG and miss the tournament as the first four out.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »
I'm still worried about how our PGs will do against the likes of DSR and Dunn. I predicted we would be "bubblicious" (direct quote) and I still think thats right. I predict a 5th or 6th place BEast finish.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »
I'm still worried about how our PGs will do against the likes of DSR and Dunn. I predicted we would be "bubblicious" (direct quote) and I still think thats right. I predict a 5th or 6th place BEast finish.

KenPom has us projected as 8th which I think is overly pessimistic.  Currently has Creighton, Seton Hall and Georgetown ahead of us....I think we can certainly top 2 of the 3 of those....the trick will be topping all 3.

I do have concerns at the PG spot, but other teams have to be concerned with our front court as well so it'll be a real chess match in conference play.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2015, 01:21:16 PM »
We are going to lose a game we "shouldn't" somewhere along the way, and we are going to win a game we "shouldn't" somewhere along the way.  A loss at home to a team that you consider the 5th best team in the BE does not at all mean we can't beat 1 of the 4 teams above them in the pecking order at home.  Nor does a win on Wednesday mean we can't lose to a team like Creighton at home.
With our strength of schedule we have no room to lose a game we should not lose. Besides that, if the RPI means anything, this is a game we should not win.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
I think we can all agree a 3 seed for the Hoyas is out of the question  ;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
This is going to be a damned fun year to be a Marquette fan. I think there is no margin for error and that is the problem. But I like how far we have come since Bert left the cupboard bare.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »
This is going to be a damned fun year to be a Marquette fan. I think there is no margin for error and that is the problem. But I like how far we have come since Bert left the cupboard bare.

Even a zoomie gets it 100% right every once in a while.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
MU is better than I thought they would be at the start of the season.   The Big East is much better than I thought it would be at the start of the season.    Net push.  Still feeling NIT.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
I would be very surprised if this squad makes it to the dance.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
Even a zoomie gets it 100% right every once in a while.
Worth calling out but not worth its own thread in the Superbar........I'm a big fan of Navy's helmets today (plus a nice Win over an ACC team)

brandx

« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2015, 10:23:12 PM »
MU is better than I thought they would be at the start of the season.   The Big East is much better than I thought it would be at the start of the season.    Net push.  Still feeling NIT.

You hit on it, Tower. At the beginning of the season, if I knew MU would be this good, I would have said NCAAs. But, like you, I thought the BE would be down a little this year.

It's gonna be tough. I think we will have a little better handle on how things might turn out after the game tomorrow. Seton Hall is 10-2. Their schedule has been much tougher than ours. We cannot lose to them at home.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »
You hit on it, Tower. At the beginning of the season, if I knew MU would be this good, I would have said NCAAs. But, like you, I thought the BE would be down a little this year.

It's gonna be tough. I think we will have a little better handle on how things might turn out after the game tomorrow. Seton Hall is 10-2. Their schedule has been much tougher than ours. We cannot lose to them at home.

No game tomorrow  ;).

I won't be overly concerned if we lose Wednesday because we are so young. We may get blown out...and then return the favor at their place later in the season. They have talent, we have talent, they will play above their norm at times this season and so will we, they'll play really bad at times this season and so will we. We'll see which team shows up ready to go Wednesday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2015, 11:04:50 AM »
No game tomorrow  ;).

I won't be overly concerned if we lose Wednesday because we are so young. We may get blown out...and then return the favor at their place later in the season. They have talent, we have talent, they will play above their norm at times this season and so will we, they'll play really bad at times this season and so will we. We'll see which team shows up ready to go Wednesday.

We have Henry,I think he's just starting to hit his stride playing with his teammates!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Goose

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2015, 11:19:29 AM »
If Wojo plays to win this year and not develop a PG for the future I think we are surprise team of BE. My gut tells me he plays to win and goes with experienced guys at PG. This is big year for program and believe he swings for fences to win at all cost.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2015, 11:36:15 AM »
If Wojo plays to win this year and not develop a PG for the future I think we are surprise team of BE. My gut tells me he plays to win and goes with experienced guys at PG. This is big year for program and believe he swings for fences to win at all cost.

Yep. I know Duane is 3rd in minutes, but every time he's out there I find myself saying "he needs to play more."

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
Under that mindset, how would you break down minutes at the point per game?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
Windy

Only know that if I were coach Carter would be a role player moving forward as competition gets much better. Whoever can play composure, is capable to score and get the ball moving in transition would be my guy. We have guys that can score and we need to push the ball and get some easy buckets.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »
Windy

Only know that if I were coach Carter would be a role player moving forward as competition gets much better. Whoever can play composure, is capable to score and get the ball moving in transition would be my guy. We have guys that can score and we need to push the ball and get some easy buckets.

I get what goose is saying. I like the idea of Cheat playing point in BE play cause of his slashing ability. But then again he is TO prone.
I do think Carter is the PG of the future for this team so he should continue to start.
I think Woj keeps with the lineup we have been playing with, but wouldn't be surprised to see DWil come in earlier than normal in these games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2015, 12:44:33 PM »
I have no problem with how Wojo has deployed his PGs these last 5 weeks (and yes, I'm sure he's glad to hear I approve).

He has started Carter. When Carter has done well, Wojo has stayed with him longer. When Carter has struggled, Wojo hasn't hesitated going with a Duane-Haanif combo (or Duane-Haanif-JJJ combo).

It makes sense to continue doing it that way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
I get what goose is saying. I like the idea of Cheat playing point in BE play cause of his slashing ability. But then again he is TO prone.
I do think Carter is the PG of the future for this team so he should continue to start.
I think Woj keeps with the lineup we have been playing with, but wouldn't be surprised to see DWil come in earlier than normal in these games.

This sounds like the Right approach to me.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

fjm

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
I still feel the same with my prediction, maybe too optimistic but I compared this team to last years that lost some very close games in BE and lost two OT games as well. I still think we win 11 games, make the tourney and maybe snag a win in the tourney.
We are younger than last year but more talented. And last year had we not had a hurt carlino and blown close games we could have easily been an 18 or 19 win team.
21 wins, we make the tourney barely and get a W.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2015, 12:58:26 PM »
The problem with Traci not playing the point is we don't really have anyone else that does play the point.

Cheatham is great at slashing along the baseline or pulling up for a three, but he isn't a great distributor and turns it over too much to be the point.

Duane is better at both aspects, but still plays more like a volume scorer than a point. Maybe he'd be better at it now, but it seemed like in the first three games, the coaches were expecting him to run the point and Traci to be the point off the bench. That didn't work out so well for us.

The simple reality is the only point guard on our roster is a freshman. When it comes to providing for others, breaking the press, and demonstrating the willingness to let others shoot, Traci is the only guy that fits the bill.

I really hope Rowsey can take some of that pressure next year, and would be over the moon if we could land Markus Howard in 2017 to give us another legit PG on the roster.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »

I know you're not a Carter fan, but like others, I don't think Wojo is going to suddenly change the lineup -- especially since it's been working.  If we go on a losing streak, all bets are off.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
Rocky

Really am neutral on Carter at this point. Just feel with the two big boys and some athletic combo players that can score I would prefer experience to on the job training. Again, no bad Carter feelings here.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2016, 11:42:23 PM »
So where do the 14 of us pick up our prizes?