Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you deem "acceptable" as a result for this team this season?

Finish above .500 (play NIT or CBI)
Finish as a solid bubble team but miss out on the big dance (play NIT)
Make big dance but lose in the first round
Make it to at least the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament
Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do, win the whole f'in thing(Final Four anyway)
Win one game in the NCAA tournament

Author Topic: Go on record before the drama starts  (Read 34418 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Go on record before the drama starts
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:41:56 PM »
Let's put a stake in the ground before the season starts and we get caught up in the drama.  What will you find to be an acceptable performance for this team?  Let's try and take some of the "how we got here" out of our arguments.  If we start 0-9 and finish 9-9 vs starting 9-0 and finishing 9-9 makes a difference but in the grand scheme is the result different?

I recognize we haven't seen this team play much, but what are you willing to accept to not be disappointed in this team?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Go on record before the drama starts
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Second weekend. Anything less should be considered a failure.

Wojo is paid for results. Stand and deliver, I say!

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »
This team is a year away.    Not enough experience.    Steady improvement across the board. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 01:56:26 PM »
Second weekend. Anything less should be considered a failure.

Wojo is paid for results. Stand and deliver, I say!

I don't buy that this year.  The previous coach flushed the roster so to speak and Wojo had a considerable amount of rebuilding to do.  Don't know how we get to the 2nd weekend with our inexperience.....but I'm willing have whatever you're having :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
Acceptable?  Making the Tournament.  What I'm hoping for?  A Sweet 16 appearance.  What I think is the ceiling?  Elite 8.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:07:56 PM »
My choice isn't up there.  I say somewhere between a 7-10 seed.  They will win their first round game and give their second round opponent a very good game.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »
If we stay healthy get back into the NCAA tournament (not play-in game so not end of the bubble).

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »
My choice would of been winning one game in NCAA tournament,

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
I think we will get to the round of 32 this year, which I think is acceptable.

Ceiling: Elite 8

What would make me happy? Making the tournament

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 02:18:50 PM »
My choice would of been winning one game in NCAA tournament,

I updated the poll to include this choice, feel free to change your vote.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
My choice isn't up there.  I say somewhere between a 7-10 seed.  They will win their first round game and give their second round opponent a very good game.
that's exactly what i was looking for so i went the optimistic and said 2nd weekend.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »
I will be happy if we are dancing again this year -- disappointed if NIT especially if it isn't after an agonizing selection show.

All bets are off once tourney starts...assuming that is when our freshmen become sophomores

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
Based on the phrasing of the question, if the team doesn't live up the standard that one votes for, it would be unacceptable (i.e. would put Wojo on the hot seat).

Therefore, "acceptable" would be a solid NIT team as well as being in the conversation as an NCAA Tournament team late in the season. Another season under .500 should put some heat on Wojo. That said, MU has gone 30-34 over the past 2 seasons and this is a very young team who lost basically their only scorer from last season and has no true experienced PG. To find it "unacceptable" for this team to not make the NCAAT just isn't logical.

Obviously I hope that HE is the real deal, Duane becomes a go-to scorer, Fischer dominates the post, etc and the team surprises everyone with a Tourney run, but anything short of that shouldn't be deemed unacceptable.

If we were doing actual predictions, I'd predict that MU spends a lot of the time on the "Last 4 In/Last 4 Out" category and their NCAAT fate will be decided by how they fair in the BET.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 02:52:22 PM »
Acceptable?  Making the Tournament.  What I'm hoping for?  A Sweet 16 appearance.  What I think is the ceiling?  Elite 8.

Agree (except maybe the last part).

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 02:57:36 PM »
Based on the phrasing of the question, if the team doesn't live up the standard that one votes for, it would be unacceptable (i.e. would put Wojo on the hot seat).

Therefore, "acceptable" would be a solid NIT team as well as being in the conversation as an NCAA Tournament team late in the season. Another season under .500 should put some heat on Wojo. That said, MU has gone 30-34 over the past 2 seasons and this is a very young team who lost basically their only scorer from last season and has no true experienced PG. To find it "unacceptable" for this team to not make the NCAAT just isn't logical.

Obviously I hope that HE is the real deal, Duane becomes a go-to scorer, Fischer dominates the post, etc and the team surprises everyone with a Tourney run, but anything short of that shouldn't be deemed unacceptable.

If we were doing actual predictions, I'd predict that MU spends a lot of the time on the "Last 4 In/Last 4 Out" category and their NCAAT fate will be decided by how they fair in the BET.

A voice of Reason.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 03:06:41 PM »
Acceptable: Above .500
Expected: Bubblicous
Ceiling: Elite 8

Kind of a wide range but think it is true. Biggest x factors are injuries and Traci/Haanifs performance at the point. Luke, Henry, and Duane could be the most talented trio in the BEast and it wouldn't make a lick of difference if we don't have at least solid play by our PGs
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »

I assuming there are no serious injuries with my choice. Injuries would change my expectations. Barring serious injuries I am predicting they will win the Big East tournament.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 03:36:39 PM »
I assuming there are no serious injuries with my choice. Injuries would change my expectations. Barring serious injuries I am predicting they will win the Big East tournament.

It's certainly possible but Villanova is a much better team than us. I don't see us beating them. Brunson, Arci, and Hart are way too good of a backcourt. And Luke and Henry are only slightly better than Jenkins Ochefu IMHO.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »
Again, the question is 'minimally acceptable'.

I voted bubble but headed to the NIT as my floor expectation.  I'd add that making it to MSG and perhaps even winning would be a helluva lot of fun.  Failing to play meaningful post season ball would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

But I'm really thinking we overachieve that by a bit and make the dance on a solid February/March run.  (Seems I heard that somewhere.)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »
Again, the question is 'minimally acceptable'.

I voted bubble but headed to the NIT as my floor expectation.  I'd add that making it to MSG and perhaps even winning would be a helluva lot of fun.  Failing to play meaningful post season ball would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

But I'm really thinking we overachieve that by a bit and make the dance on a solid February/March run.  (Seems I heard that somewhere.)

I couldn't agree with you more....you must have tremendous sources of information

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »
My choice isn't up there.  I believe, along with MU03Eng, that there is a real possibility that MU gets shut out every game.

JK (sorry, it's my favorite typo of the year so far).  I chose Bubble Team Express, NIT.

This is the year that MU gets f*cked by the first-four a la UCLA stealing Temple's bid last year.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that the poll is about what I consider "acceptable" not "where do you think we actually end up."  In that case, Tourney.  We have to make the Tourney at the very least.  Anything else is a failure.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:03:54 PM by Eldon »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »
This team is a year away.    Not enough experience.    Steady improvement across the board.
Agree team may be a year away. The talent is there now, so strike while the iron is hot. In a year many things may change. The improvement has already started, and must snowball this year, from ist game on. take no prisoners.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
It's certainly possible but Villanova is a much better team than us. I don't see us beating them. Brunson, Arci, and Hart are way too good of a backcourt. And Luke and Henry are only slightly better than Jenkins Ochefu IMHO.
Sorry Tamu. Villanova will go down when they get to our place. Screw Jay Wright!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BME to MD

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Make it to at least the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
The tournament is generally a crapshoot, but I expect us to be there. Once you're there, you never know. I voted 2nd weekend.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback