Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you deem "acceptable" as a result for this team this season?

Finish above .500 (play NIT or CBI)
Finish as a solid bubble team but miss out on the big dance (play NIT)
Make big dance but lose in the first round
Make it to at least the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament
Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do, win the whole f'in thing(Final Four anyway)
Win one game in the NCAA tournament

Author Topic: Go on record before the drama starts  (Read 34417 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Go on record before the drama starts
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »
Agree that point guard play must be "solid" if by solid you mean the Cadougan/Derrick combo that took us to the second weekend of the tournament three straight years. To many here that would be somewhere between adequate and bad - shouldn't be too high a hurdle.

I never once saw Cadougan as "adequate." I know he caught a lot of grief here but I never understood that. That guy could play.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »
Agree that point guard play must be "solid" if by solid you mean the Cadougan/Derrick combo that took us to the second weekend of the tournament three straight years. To many here that would be somewhere between adequate and bad - shouldn't be too high a hurdle.

Cadougan/Derrick levels is exactly what I think this team needs in order to be good. Like Keefe, I always though Cadougan was a good point guard. Not great, but certainly didn't deserve the level of criticism he got. Derrick was a very good backup PG but wasn't strong enough to be a starting PG. If TC and Haanif can be as good as junior year junior and freshman year Derrick than I will be pretty confident moving forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
Cadougan/Derrick levels is exactly what I think this team needs in order to be good. Like Keefe, I always though Cadougan was a good point guard. Not great, but certainly didn't deserve the level of criticism he got. Derrick was a very good backup PG but wasn't strong enough to be a starting PG. If TC and Haanif can be as good as junior year junior and freshman year Derrick than I will be pretty confident moving forward.

I think The Engine will be more than adequate on the offensive end....might be a few freshman mistakes but I have no doubt we will see a revolution in PG play on the offensive end as compared to at least the last 2 years.

Defense is where I'm concerned.  If he can play solid, non-fouling defense we'll be ok.  If he gets into foul trouble=bad and if he is a turnstile on defense forcing a lot of help(and fouls down low)=very bad.

We need him to be competent on the defensive end, something we haven't had to worry about in 5 or 6 years at the PG spot.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
Best case: 2nd weekend

Worst case: Wojo can't coach

What I'd be happy with: a team like 05-06 or 09-10 that's a lot of fun to watch but gets bounced in heartbreaking fashion in the 1st round

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
So if an NIT or bubble team and being a year away with Henry....what will MU be a year from now without him?

Second weekend or bust

Even if HE leaves, I'm of the mind the team will improve the following year.  The nine remaining guys will improve simply through more experience and getting stronger, particularly the current freshmen that have zero college experience.  Then add in more talent coming in the door the following year including an experienced guard that can light it up from deep and I think you have a better team even if HE goes to the NBA.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »
Even if HE leaves, I'm of the mind the team will improve the following year.  The nine remaining guys will improve simply through more experience and getting stronger, particularly the current freshmen that have zero college experience.  Then add in more talent coming in the door the following year including an experienced guard that can light it up from deep and I think you have a better team even if HE goes to the NBA.
Yes, Sam Hauser and Andrew Rousey will be quality additions who can contribute immediately.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »
It's certainly possible but Villanova is a much better team than us. I don't see us beating them. Brunson, Arci, and Hart are way too good of a backcourt. And Luke and Henry are only slightly better than Jenkins Ochefu IMHO.
I am not afraid of the March flame outs, which is what Villanova is.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »
You can say that again!

Well, um, ok.

Haha this is hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
Now, with WW, I have every idea why he brings it up, because he isn't capable of original thought.

Keefe, I expect way WAY more from you.

Not capable of original thought?  Haha.  Outstanding, Chicos!

One "original thought" I would certainly not be capable of is coming up with a story of Disney dreams and cold brews flowing in the Southern California back yard of some random MUScooper and with the wife and kids, finding a common love of (magically) the same 3 schools, and just happened to be around for the exact time frame that you were banned from MUScoop.

Now that is some original thought for you, people!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:08:21 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »
I never once saw Cadougan as "adequate." I know he caught a lot of grief here but I never understood that. That guy could play.

Yup.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
I think The Engine will be more than adequate on the offensive end....might be a few freshman mistakes but I have no doubt we will see a revolution in PG play on the offensive end as compared to at least the last 2 years.

Defense is where I'm concerned.  If he can play solid, non-fouling defense we'll be ok.  If he gets into foul trouble=bad and if he is a turnstile on defense forcing a lot of help(and fouls down low)=very bad.

We need him to be competent on the defensive end, something we haven't had to worry about in 5 or 6 years at the PG spot.

Cadougan wasn't a good defender at all.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about his defense.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
NIT team.  Have to be stronger at the guard position...stronger and more experienced.  Hope I'm wrong.

I agree with you. I'm not sure our team is seasoned enough to consistently win this season. I also hope I'm wrong.

We have a lot of freshmen.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
Acceptable to me would be above .500 NIT or CBI. This is only Wojo's second year. I don't think you can expect more than incremental improvement. Do I think Marquette can make the NCAAs of course. And that's obviously the goal, but to act like it would be unacceptable for a second year coach to not make the NCAAs is pretty ridiculous. Very little experience on the court and on the bench. The talent is there but it could be a year away and that's ok. Now I'm predicting Marquette to make the NCAA tournament as a bubble team, but I don't think it would be unacceptable or a failure on wojo's part if they don't get there.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2015, 05:49:15 PM »
Acceptable to me would be above .500 NIT or CBI. This is only Wojo's second year. I don't think you can expect more than incremental improvement. Do I think Marquette can make the NCAAs of course. And that's obviously the goal, but to act like it would be unacceptable for a second year coach to not make the NCAAs is pretty ridiculous. Very little experience on the court and on the bench. The talent is there but it could be a year away and that's ok. Now I'm predicting Marquette to make the NCAA tournament as a bubble team, but I don't think it would be unacceptable or a failure on wojo's part if they don't get there.
Second well thought out post tonight!  "This is only Wojo's second year." Will have to be said more than a few times this season.

In an effort to help you not get banned by making it 3 in a row.......what seed do the Hoyas get?  and Do you see a BE POY on your roster?

I don't follow G'Town close enough to guess on the seed but I think Smith-Rivera comes close (top 3) but can't out do Dunn.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2015, 06:52:54 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about his defense.

Not worried per se, especially long term but Wojo's man defense is predicated on face guarding, no gambling and limiting the need for help.  Can Engine do that against veteran players as a freshman, not sure.  McNeal and DJ were two of the best guard defenders of the last 20 years and they didn't become above average ball defenders until at least their sophomore years
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »
One other note, I do think Hank stays for two years for the following reasons with no real inside information:

1.  I want him to
2.  He will need refinement on his 3pt shot and rebounding to be NBA ready...don't think he masters that out NBA speed in one season
3.  He wants to play with his brother, one year is good, two is great
4.  It will be far better to be a rookie, financially in 2017-18 than it would in 2016-2017(new tv contract for salary cap explosion in 2016 which is why players like Durant are going to sign one year contracts after this season.)

So I don't put it all on this season.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »
One other note, I do think Hank stays for two years for the following reasons with no real inside information:

1.  I want him to

Haha that's awesome. Honesty is the best policy.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
Not worried per se, especially long term but Wojo's man defense is predicated on face guarding, no gambling and limiting the need for help.  Can Engine do that against veteran players as a freshman, not sure.  McNeal and DJ were two of the best guard defenders of the last 20 years and they didn't become above average ball defenders until at least their sophomore years

McNeal was a great defender until about his junior year.  At that point he became more worried about scoring the basketball and forgot there was a 2nd side of a basketball court.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »
Guard's game, we will go as far as our guards take us.  If the guards can't break down the defense or get the ball to Henry, etc in the right spot, hit a decent percentage to open up the middle and keep defenses honest, then it will be difficult.

I think Henry stays for two years primarily because our guards won't be good enough to allow him to shine.  If the guards are good enough, then the team and Henry will do quite well. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »

1.  I want him to
2.  He will need refinement on his 3pt shot and rebounding to be NBA ready...don't think he masters that out NBA speed in one season
3.  He wants to play with his brother, one year is good, two is great
4.  It will be far better to be a rookie, financially in 2017-18 than it would in 2016-2017(new tv contract for salary cap explosion in 2016 which is why players like Durant are going to sign one year contracts after this season.)

So I don't put it all on this season.

This is one of the many reasons it is very logical for him to leave.  Rookie contracts are rookie contracts.  The faster you get to your 2nd contract the faster you get to the big money.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 11:05:35 PM »
This is one of the many reasons it is very logical for him to leave.  Rookie contracts are rookie contracts.  The faster you get to your 2nd contract the faster you get to the big money.

That's a good point.  By skipping one year in the NBA, he may never recoup the opportunity cost of a full season's foregone earnings.  He's got some present value calculations to make for sure.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
Anticipated - Sweet Sixteen, possible E8 if we draw an evenly sized team.  Dark horse for FF after Selection Sunday.

Best Case - Henry and DuWil are playing in the NBA in 2016.

Minimally Acceptable - Both of them are on the team next year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »
Guard's game, we will go as far as our guards take us.  If the guards can't break down the defense or get the ball to Henry, etc in the right spot, hit a decent percentage to open up the middle and keep defenses honest, then it will be difficult.

I think Henry stays for two years primarily because our guards won't be good enough to allow him to shine.  If the guards are good enough, then the team and Henry will do quite well.

Henry has a lot of ball-handling/perimeter skills. The guards won't have as much of an impact on his performance as they would a traditional big man, like Luke (traditional meaning traditional, not "traditional"...even though both players are "traditionals"). Quite frankly, if Henry truly is a one-and-done top 8 NBA Draft pick, he's going to shine regardless. If he doesn't appear ready yet, it won't be because of the guards. It'll be because he's not ready yet.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
Henry has a lot of ball-handling/perimeter skills. The guards won't have as much of an impact on his performance as they would a traditional big man, like Luke (traditional meaning traditional, not "traditional"...even though both players are "traditionals"). Quite frankly, if Henry truly is a one-and-done top 8 NBA Draft pick, he's going to shine regardless. If he doesn't appear ready yet, it won't be because of the guards. It'll be because he's not ready yet.

If Henry is a top 8 NBA pick, he will make the guards look better.  I think Henry will help Luke shine as well since space in the post should be significant as Henry is a stretch 4 and will only post up if he's got a significant height advantage.

I think Hank will play a lot of the way we all wanted Ox to be capable of playing when we were going insane with Oxtule love on the board, but Ox was definitely a 5 in a stretch 4s clothing

feedback