collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: information on the new jes/res  (Read 3824 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
information on the new jes/res
« on: October 02, 2015, 03:24:25 PM »
http://urbanmilwaukee.com/pressrelease/marquette-to-name-new-jesuit-residence-in-honor-of-donors-father/

From the article:  Located on the 1400 block of Wells Street and flanked by the Alumni Memorial Union and Schroeder Hall, the Dr. E. J. O’Brien Jesuit Residence fits with the university’s long-term vision to reimagine and renovate the center of campus between Wisconsin Avenue and Wells Street.
Ludum habemus.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: information on the new jes/res
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »
I wonder what they're doing in the space left between Schroeder/AMU/JesRes? It would be great to open up a larger green space there instead of the crappy parking lot, especially with Structure 2 across the street.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »
What is the grand vision we have going right now? Is there like a 5 years down the road picture or anything?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
I wonder what they're doing in the space left between Schroeder/AMU/JesRes? It would be great to open up a larger green space there instead of the crappy parking lot, especially with Structure 2 across the street.

It's gonna be green space. Still not a fan that they used 10 mil on a new jes res but the donation was specifically for it i guess. Building looks nice though. Just an odd location.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
What is the grand vision we have going right now? Is there like a 5 years down the road picture or anything?

I don't know, a Burger King on campus is a pretty grand vision.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
http://urbanmilwaukee.com/pressrelease/marquette-to-name-new-jesuit-residence-in-honor-of-donors-father/

From the article:  Located on the 1400 block of Wells Street and flanked by the Alumni Memorial Union and Schroeder Hall, the Dr. E. J. O’Brien Jesuit Residence fits with the university’s long-term vision to reimagine and renovate the center of campus between Wisconsin Avenue and Wells Street.

We used to dig a pit in that field next to McCormick and do pig roasts. We would start on Saturday morning and roast that thang for more than 24 hours. Succulent does not begin to describe the culinary experience.

I need to talk to my money guy but I could see calling up Lovell and offering to put in a pig roast pit so that future generations of Marquetters can know the joy of drinking beer all night long while turning a skewered animal over a hissing bed pit of glowing coals.

Death on call

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 03:01:23 PM »

The new residence is in the northern of the two lots, while the southern is still parking for the Jesuits.  Unless you meant the space that will be left behind when the old residence is (presumably) torn down?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:53:38 AM »
The new residence is in the northern of the two lots, while the southern is still parking for the Jesuits.  Unless you meant the space that will be left behind when the old residence is (presumably) torn down?

How many Jesuits are there now?  When they were building the new Jes Res, they should have put in a basement level garage.  I can't imagine it would need to be very big -- I would think definitely within the footprint of that building.  That would have solved the Jesuit parking issue and opened up some space in the center of campus.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »
I don't know, a Burger King on campus is a pretty grand vision.

They should put a gyros place there and name it after the school... No wait they already f'd that up
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »
They should put a gyros place there and name it after the school... No wait they already f'd that up

Eh, Marquette gyros kinda messed that up themselves. Way behind on payments and that building was bad. Now, marquette didn't do them any favors which wasn't very nice and kinda pushed them out the door but they unfortunately did have reason.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »

Yeah, there's the southern half of the parking lot between the AMU and Schroeder, plus that alley/parking that the Jesuit car pool parked. The green space in front of the old Jes Res and the old Jes Res building itself.

I could see the draw of turning that whole area into parking just for the convenience of the Jesuits, but I really hope that they turn it into green space and make it a gathering place. There is so much foot traffic through there, I think it could be a boon for campus culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
Not only that, but turning that area into parking would be butt ugly.  Wisconsin Avenue is the showplace of the campus.  They have done quite a bit to move parking to the periphery of campus.  I don't think they are going to change that now.  Make it a green space now and reserve it for future expansion.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
Old Jes res will be coming down and will remain green space.  About 20 new parking spots recently developed in narrow land sliver between O'Brien Jes Res and north Schroeder wing with access off Wells.  Old south parking lot to remain for interim. 

Hearing about a second 'redevelopment' likely to improve green space, parking and a revised Shamu. Right now it looks like when a highway gets buttoned up during the winter construction lull.  For you old guys who don't know, Shamu (Schroeder-AMU) is the vehicular route used by LIMO and MUPD entering off 13th in the old alley behind Varsity, passes between AMU and Schroeder (hence the name), and exits on Wells.  I have no doubt that the university will permanently redevelop and maintain that private vehicular corridor in 2016.   

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »
Old Jes res will be coming down and will remain green space.  About 20 new parking spots recently developed in narrow land sliver between O'Brien Jes Res and north Schroeder wing with access off Wells.  Old south parking lot to remain for interim. 

Hearing about a second 'redevelopment' likely to improve green space, parking and a revised Shamu. Right now it looks like when a highway gets buttoned up during the winter construction lull.  For you old guys who don't know, Shamu (Schroeder-AMU) is the vehicular route used by LIMO and MUPD entering off 13th in the old alley behind Varsity, passes between AMU and Schroeder (hence the name), and exits on Wells.  I have no doubt that the university will permanently redevelop and maintain that private vehicular corridor in 2016.

That's also (allegedly) a good route to take when driving on St Patrick's day afternoon with about 15 people in the car and a milwaukee cop is gonna pull up next to you.....allegedly.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Still not a fan that they used 10 mil on a new jes res

I agree.  Seems like a lot for a group of folks (declining in number) who have taken a vow of poverty.  Will MU have even ten Jesuits 20 years from now?

I am not saying they should live in a vans down by the river, but this strikes me as a classic case of an institution deferring its maintenance on an existing building to a point where they can justify tearing it down and replacing it with a Taj Mahal.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:52:24 AM by Badgerhater »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »
I agree.  Seems like a lot for a group of folks (declining in number) who have taken a vow of poverty.  Will MU have even ten Jesuits 20 years from now?

I am not saying they should live in a vans down by the river, but this strikes me as a classic case of an institution deferring its maintenance on an existing building to a point where they can justify tearing it down and replacing it with a Taj Mahal.

Couple of points.  One, that's what the donor wanted.  Two, the old Jes Res would have required a HUGE investment.  No doubt however that it's a wonderful facility and I hope it gets well utilized by the entire university.  As an example, all those Jesuit events that used to take place under a tent in Westown will now be moved to their new permanent indoor/outdoor reception area.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »
-Anonymous JesRes donor: Hey guys, want a new, free JesRes building?

-ChitownJuan/Badgerhater: Can't we have something else?

-Anonymous JesRes donor: No.  It's either a new JesRes or nothing.

-ChitownJuan/Badgerhater: Nah, that's okay.  We'd rather not improve campus at all.  Keep your free building.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »
Really how dare the Marquette community take care of the Jesuits who built the University into what it is today.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
When they were building the new Jes Res, they should have put in a basement level garage.  I can't imagine it would need to be very big -- I would think definitely within the footprint of that building.

It is hard to put in an underground parking garage when they needed to dig three floors down to accommodate the the wine cellar  ;)

Here are some more pictures of the inside of the new Jes Res including the wine cellar.
http://postmarq.tumblr.com/post/129940203150/marquette-university-jesuit-residence

If Marquette is looking to raise some more money they should auction off Fr. Wild's private reserve of Scotch. That would raise enough money to pay for the new Athletic Performance Complex and the expansion to the Engineering building  ;) 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 01:26:25 PM »
It is hard to put in an underground parking garage when they needed to dig three floors down to accommodate the the wine cellar  ;)

Here are some more pictures of the inside of the new Jes Res including the wine cellar.
http://postmarq.tumblr.com/post/129940203150/marquette-university-jesuit-residence

If Marquette is looking to raise some more money they should auction off Fr. Wild's private reserve of Scotch. That would raise enough money to pay for the new Athletic Performance Complex and the expansion to the Engineering building  ;)

I don't know how Father Wild acquired that alleged private reserve of Scotch, but given what he has done for the University, he deserves to keep every drop of it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »
-Anonymous JesRes donor: Hey guys, want a new, free JesRes building?

-ChitownJuan/Badgerhater: Can't we have something else?

-Anonymous JesRes donor: No.  It's either a new JesRes or nothing.

-ChitownJuan/Badgerhater: Nah, that's okay.  We'd rather not improve campus at all.  Keep your free building.

Just because it is free doesn't mean it the best idea.  Also, are you sure this particular donor wasn't guided in the direction of this donation and not in the direction of another?

Perhaps it will be a better idea when the school only has enough Jesuits to fill two rooms in McCormick and repurposes it into a hoops dorm.

(Never took a class from a Jesuit while at MU).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »
I had classes with several Jesuits and knew a few others in different capacities, mainly campus ministry ones. They are incredible men who have dedicated their entire lives to Catholic education. Most of them have spent time in developing countries, worked on Indian reservations, taught at inner-city high schools, etc. during their younger years. Upon entering the order, a young Jesuit must give up all of his possessions, even down to his favorite books. They enter the order with nothing. The vow of poverty is real.

If Marquette alumni wish to ensure that the Jesuits who built this university, which was formed for immigrant Catholics and still maintains a strong social justice mission, are housed comfortably that is the prerogative of the donors. Realize that while they may live in relatively nice quarters, and drive nice sedans, they still own absolutely nothing. They don't even collect a salary. Everything is given back to the order. Criticism of the Jesuits here is wholly unwarranted and ignorant of the lives these men live, and what they have given of themselves.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
The way I look at it, Marquette has been able to move the Jesuits from an old building requiring costly maintenance sitting on prime Wisconsin Avenue real estate, to a new, nice looking building on less desirable Wells St.

And it was free.

And the Jesuits, who founded the University, are probably very happy.

It's clear to me why some on Scoop have problems with it.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »

Will anyone call it O"Brien Hall?  I think it will still be called the JesRes.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
The way I look at it, Marquette has been able to move the Jesuits from an old building requiring costly maintenance sitting on prime Wisconsin Avenue real estate, to a new, nice looking building on less desirable Wells St.

And it was free.

And the Jesuits, who founded the University, are probably very happy.

It's clear to me why some on Scoop have problems with it.

I don't like demolition through purposeful neglect -- which what was done to the Jes Res -- it is wasteful and irresponsible.  I also don't see MU having a significant Jesuit staff in the future.   But we can't think of these things because everyone likes new buildings -- even if boring apartment boxes with zero architectural character.