[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Daily Dose of Doom Thread  (Read 162277 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Daily Dose of Doom Thread
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »
Bravo. 

What really irks me is that news is not remotely doomful.  I want pestilence and planet killing.  Dogs and cats, living together.  Mass hysteria.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
Hope this helps topper...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »
Oh, knock it off.

What happened was outrageous, but it has nothing to do being a sexual object.

If it was a boy with long hair on getting disqualified in a boy's league, would you have said the same thing?

It has everything to do with being a sexual object. Women with long hair are considered more attractive so society decides that is what girls should look like. When someone chooses not to, society sometimes chooses to try and force them back into the mold.

A boy with long hair is similar but different example. The story would have been more about how boys need to be manly and tough and appearing with a feminine trait makes him weak or gay.

Being a sexual object doesn't mean the guy who banned the young girl was thinking of her in a sexual way. It just means that he subscribes to the belief that men have short hair and women have long hair and anything outside of the mold is not appropriate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
http://crooksandliars.com/2017/06/apology-issued-girl-disqualified-soccer

Women... well even little girls had better learn to look like the sexual objects we expect them to become.

I'm trying to figure out how that conversation went.

"You're team is disqualified."

"What, why?"

"You have a boy on the team."

"We do? Who?"

"Him."

"Her?"

"No him."

"That's a girl."

"No it isn't."

It reminds me of a situation I saw during the 2K Classic in NYC. My family and I went. Mrs. TAMU's family is from long island so we went out to dinner in the city with her sister and her sister's girlfriend. The sister's girlfriend has a very short haircut so she sometimes get mistaken for a boy. No big deal she's used to it. When our waiter took our order he called her "sir." She laughed it off and corrected him. He looked uncomfortable but didn't saying anything. He came back and did it again. She corrected him again. He came back again and did it a third time. My mom stopped him and politely said, "Sir, you keep referring to her as a boy, she's a girl." He stopped, looked right a the sister's girlfriend and said "I'm so sorry, SIR" with as much emphasis on the sir as he could muster. He didn't get a tip from us.
TAMU

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »
If you people ruin my doom thread, I will haunt you in the night.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
It has everything to do with being a sexual object. Women with long hair are considered more attractive so society decides that is what girls should look like. When someone chooses not to, society sometimes chooses to try and force them back into the mold.

A boy with long hair is similar but different example. The story would have been more about how boys need to be manly and tough and appearing with a feminine trait makes him weak or gay.

Being a sexual object doesn't mean the guy who banned the young girl was thinking of her in a sexual way. It just means that he subscribes to the belief that men have short hair and women have long hair and anything outside of the mold is not appropriate.

C'Mon TAMU.  That's how we got to a point where an innocent peck on the cheek at a school dance got to be sexual assault unless some university form was signed in triplicate.  This is no longer a world I recognize.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how that conversation went.

"You're team is disqualified."

"What, why?"

"You have a boy on the team."

"We do? Who?"

"Him."

"Her?"

"No him."

"That's a girl."

"No it isn't."

It reminds me of a situation I saw during the 2K Classic in NYC. My family and I went. Mrs. TAMU's family is from long island so we went out to dinner in the city with her sister and her sister's girlfriend. The sister's girlfriend has a very short haircut so she sometimes get mistaken for a boy. No big deal she's used to it. When our waiter took our order he called her "sir." She laughed it off and corrected him. He looked uncomfortable but didn't saying anything. He came back and did it again. She corrected him again. He came back again and did it a third time. My mom stopped him and politely said, "Sir, you keep referring to her as a boy, she's a girl." He stopped, looked right a the sister's girlfriend and said "I'm so sorry, SIR" with as much emphasis on the sir as he could muster. He didn't get a tip from us.

Now THAT'S legit. The guy was an unbelievable Ahole.

And let me add that someone who can't get over a sexual preference issue might need to do some maturing. I have two close friends who have an alternate preference.  I'm saddened that in the early '80s the world in which we lived might have made them uncomfortable. I've apologized to both if I ever told a stupid 'joke' in their presence.  Both said 'No worries, long time ago.' Both are close friends today.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:24:38 AM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:36 AM »
If you people ruin my doom thread, I will haunt you in the night.

Now, back to dooming!  >:(

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »

I am going to have to disagree with you there. Maybe if you used the term "gender-biased" instead of "sexual" ...

Does that mean any woman that is attracted to Fabio is a lesbian?
Have some patience, FFS.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2017, 05:44:30 PM »
"Historically subtropical nematode" would be an awesome nickname.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »
"Historically subtropical nematode" would be an awesome nickname.

I was the keyboard player for Historically Subtropical Nematode during its Art Rock phase.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:48:39 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19760676/university-rochester-football-player-kidnapped-tortured-40-hours

Terrifying story.  While the coaches couldn't possibly foresee what was going to happen,  it goes to show what can happen when off the field issues are ignored.
TAMU

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
Being an elite I probably should not be sharing this with you riff raff, but if it saves the thread...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/738392/Nibiru-apocalypse-2017-DOOMED-Robert-Vicino-Vivos

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2017, 08:19:39 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
Fingers crossed.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/3/15903154/asteroid-death-one-chart

The clickbait at the end of that article could fill up a few more days of doom...

NEXT UP IN SCIENCE & HEALTH

Does sunscreen really protect my skin? Your paranoid sunscreen questions, answered.
The Fourth of July is one of the deadliest days for drunk driving
Most parenting advice is worthless. So here's some parenting advice.
The people going to the hospital for fireworks injuries are exactly who you think
Hey, moms: eating your placenta could sicken or kill your baby
Black moms die in childbirth 3 times as often as white moms. Except in North Carolina.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2017, 05:15:38 AM »
here's a real tell tale sign that dooms day is upon us-

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/miranda/la-et-cam-los-angeles-last-adult-theaters-20170706-htmlstory.html

what was the iconic milwaukee theater,  known for it's sticky floors, stale popcorn and bad sound system?  the princess?  could you imagine being out on a first date and you're out sharing a malt or something and out of your wallet with the indented halo branded into the exterior leather falls a punch card from the princess?  ummm...call me in the morning? 

GGGG

• All American

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2017, 05:15:31 PM »
The Sign of the Woman

We're f#cked

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PFY6CNgsso" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1PFY6CNgsso</a>

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »
Any y'all seen Deep Throat at da Parkway back in da dey, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
Any y'all seen Deep Throat at da Parkway back in da dey, hey?

wasn't he the dude who tipped off woodward and bernstein on watergate?  i don't wanna know how mark felt got that name otherwise though, eyyyn'a?  sorry, just a bad visual for me

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:12 AM »
Here we go with some proper doom and gloom.....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-08/ready-blow-national-geographics-guide-yellowstone-supervolcano

Nice little primer about geysers, the end of the world stuff is at the end. Enjoy.