[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337232 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/21
« Reply #30575 on: October 24, 2021, 10:57:40 AM »
What if Lewis has a good enough year to go pro? That leaves us really thin next year as it stands now.
Joplin, OMP, Itajere.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30576 on: October 24, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »
I don’t think that’s a cop out at all and a fair assessment of the situation.

Concerns about the current commits aren’t unwarranted but let’s see where things stand after a full season of evaluation of these kids

This.

Blind faith in Shaka's recruiting for Marquette simply because "he's Shaka" seems a little over the top right now, but so does criticism of him for not signing a bunch of top-100 players in his first months on the job.

I am excited for this season, and I'm very much looking forward to see exactly how Shaka's definition of "Marquette's basketball culture" plays out.

Most of us here would love it if Shaka's system is so great and his players so perfectly suited to it that getting top talent is unnecessary for him to take us to the NCAA tournament (and preferably deep into it). We'd also love it if he could "turn on the switch" and successfully recruit 5-stars to Marquette if he decides to do so. We'll see!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30577 on: October 24, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30578 on: October 24, 2021, 01:39:50 PM »
Is Shaka and the staff done recruiting?  It's been on Twitter that Marquette went to see a 2022 frontcourt prospect twice in September, but didn't pull the trigger on an offer yet and I was told they had considered assessing another player, but he verballed to another school before they could go see him.  I would be surprised if they didn't look into the grad transfer route for a frontcourt player this spring. 

People are going to say this a copout, but in reading Shaka's comments about building culture, he isn't going to sign someone for the sake of signing someone.  He's going to look at talent, but the fit is going to have to be right.
Shaka and staff are doing a good job of finding the best available players that will commit to MU.

2021 class is deep and balanced by position.

2022 has some very promising prospects who will hopefully sign next month

2023 looks like MU is developing relationships with top tier players .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #30579 on: October 24, 2021, 02:06:28 PM »
Transfers with immediate eligibility will change traditional recruiting. Knowing we’ll most likely pick up a transfer or two each season, panicking over lack of high school recruiting is short sighted.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30580 on: October 24, 2021, 04:22:23 PM »
Transfers with immediate eligibility will change traditional recruiting. Knowing we’ll most likely pick up a transfer or two each season, panicking over lack of high school recruiting is short sighted.

It's waaaayyyy too soon to judge how Shaka will do recruiting high school kids to MU, but why would anyone think he'd land the top transfers - which is arguably a tougher market - but not top high schoolers? Either way, you've got to compete with the top programs for the top players.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30581 on: October 24, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »
If Shaka wins, he will get big time recruits and transfers. The style of play will be attractive to big time athletes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #30582 on: October 24, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »
It's waaaayyyy too soon to judge how Shaka will do recruiting high school kids to MU, but why would anyone think he'd land the top transfers - which is arguably a tougher market - but not top high schoolers? Either way, you've got to compete with the top programs for the top players.

He landed the B10 defensive player of the year and the A10 freshman of the year without coaching a game here. He has a track record of landing big recruits in the past.

History is on his side.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30583 on: October 24, 2021, 05:53:33 PM »
He landed the B10 defensive player of the year and the A10 freshman of the year without coaching a game here. He has a track record of landing big recruits in the past.

History is on his side.

This isn't a knock on those two - I like them both - but Morsell and Kolek were rated (by Stadium) the 54th and 85th best players on the transfer market this spring. Good players. I'm glad they're at MU, but I wouldn't say this is evidence MU is going to eat with the big kids when it comes to transfers.

panda

• All American
« Reply #30584 on: October 24, 2021, 06:09:44 PM »
This isn't a knock on those two - I like them both - but Morsell and Kolek were rated (by Stadium) the 54th and 85th best players on the transfer market this spring. Good players. I'm glad they're at MU, but I wouldn't say this is evidence MU is going to eat with the big kids when it comes to transfers.

My point was never that he’d eat the big boys alive as you say.

It was that it’s misguided to worry about his high school recruiting as now we can sign instant impact transfers every season.

Sorry I misunderstood your initial retort.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30585 on: October 24, 2021, 09:07:29 PM »
I was very impressed with the year one transfers for Shaka. I like what they bring to MU.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30586 on: October 24, 2021, 11:45:29 PM »
My point was never that he’d eat the big boys alive as you say.

It was that it’s misguided to worry about his high school recruiting as now we can sign instant impact transfers every season.

Sorry I misunderstood your initial retort.

I didn't say he'd eat the big boys alive. I said we haven't seen yet whether he'd eat with the big kids, i.e. recruit at their level.
Regardless, if Shaka is as much about culture as he says he is - and I see no reason not to take him at his word - I very much doubt his long-term plan for Marquette is a roster built with a constantly revolving cast of transfers. Like all good programs, hel'l fill holes with transfers when necessary, but the core will be players he recruits out of high school and are part of the program for more than a season or two.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30587 on: October 25, 2021, 07:34:24 AM »
I think what people have said is that given the choice between a higher ranked player who doesn't fit his system and a lower ranked one who does, Shaka will take the lower ranked one. I also think Shaka is focused on players who are likely to spend multiple years in college instead of one and dones

That's exactly what I'm saying I hope he does. Would show me he learned from his UT experience and would have MU thriving in our niche.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #30588 on: October 25, 2021, 10:44:29 AM »
I’m not going to worry about the rankings of Shaka’s recruits, at least not yet. Here’s why.

1) We’ve heard over and over that Shaka is big on building relationships. I’m guessing that he is working on new relationships with many 4 and 5 star recruits that he thinks would be a good match at MU. These relationships take time.

2) Yes, he did recruit a number of 5 stars at Texas, but he also mixed in plenty of 3 and 4 star players as well. Look at the guys that followed him to MU.

3) I think Shaka will be more selective with the players he brings in. A top 50 ranking will not be the sole reason a player is recruited. I believe Shaka is recruiting to his system, as opposed to Wojo who brought in the highest rated talent he could, then tried (unsuccessfully) to make the pieces fit.

4) Shaka seems to rely on the evaluations of his staff more so than those of the recruiting websites.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and I know nothing, but we’ll have to wait and see how it turns out. But this is Scoop and what fun is it to wait when you can complain right now?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #30589 on: October 25, 2021, 10:45:44 AM »

Yep. I try to see the opportunities out there through the eyes of the recruits and transfers. What did Shaka have to offer? A solid tourney team? Yet he was criticized for not landing Bond and some here think that somehow he should have gotten some 4 and even maybe a 5 star recruit along with a top level transfer or two. Considering the hand that was dealt to him, he has done well in getting Moresell, Kuath, Kolek and some promising freshmen. Cut Shaka some slack!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #30590 on: October 25, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
Yep. I try to see the opportunities out there through the eyes of the recruits and transfers. What did Shaka have to offer? A solid tourney team? Yet he was criticized for not landing Bond and some here think that somehow he should have gotten some 4 and even maybe a 5 star recruit along with a top level transfer or two. Considering the hand that was dealt to him, he has done well in getting Moresell, Kuath, Kolek and some promising freshmen. Cut Shaka some slack!

Big Shaka fan. But the hand he was dealt included Dawson Garcia, dj carton (although some say he was leaving no matter what and some day Shaka dismissed him), Justin Lewis, Jamal Cain.

So let’s not make it sound like he was dealt a crap hand.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #30591 on: October 25, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »
Big Shaka fan. But the hand he was dealt included Dawson Garcia, dj carton (although some say he was leaving no matter what and some day Shaka dismissed him), Justin Lewis, Jamal Cain.

Do you really think Dawson was going to stay? My guess is he would have left even if Wojo was still our coach. Not sure what to make of Carton's initial decision to stay but once he decided he was entering the draft? I don't think it mattered whether our coach was Wojo or Shaka. 

Shaka has only 2 players with a fair amount of playing time from last year + Oso. I do would call that a very good hand. No disrespect towards Justin, Greg or Oso, but they are only three guys.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:28:55 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #30592 on: October 25, 2021, 02:19:12 PM »

You have to be a little more realistic about the situation for a couple of those guys (Garcia, Cain). I thought Carton may stay, especially after his comments. I have a feeling Garcia never really loved his time at MU. Writing seemed on the wall even before the hire. Cain was a grad transfer and as much as I appreciated his progression, he's not a big difference maker. No surprise he's gone to Oakland. Shaka got Lewis and that's about it.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #30593 on: October 25, 2021, 03:10:07 PM »
You both scoop and MarKus are right. I never expected carton or Garcia to stay.

But they were members of the team and part of the hand Shaka was dealt when he took the job. Shaka couldn’t keep Garcia and carton was essentially dismissed.

So while I agree with what you’re saying about them basically being gone, it doesn’t mean Shaka didn’t get them in the hand he was dealt.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30594 on: October 25, 2021, 03:38:13 PM »

But they were members of the team and part of the hand Shaka was dealt when he took the job. Shaka couldn’t keep Garcia and carton was essentially dismissed.

So while I agree with what you’re saying about them basically being gone, it doesn’t mean Shaka didn’t get them in the hand he was dealt.

Huh?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30595 on: October 25, 2021, 03:48:15 PM »

How/When/Why was Carton dismissed?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30596 on: October 25, 2021, 03:53:53 PM »
I have no idea if Carton was dismissed. However, he did not fit Shaka's style. No way he would of played for Shaka, while playing less than 100% a significant amount of the game.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #30597 on: October 25, 2021, 05:38:25 PM »
From the sources I know with extensive history with MU including close connections he was becoming a bit of a negative influence on current roster players.

Carton sounds like a great dude and amazing kid. But does sound like he was causing behind the scenes trouble outside of practice and being a poor influence.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30598 on: October 25, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »
Den he wuzant a "great dude and amazin' kid," aina?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:10:24 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30599 on: October 25, 2021, 07:03:41 PM »
Shaka'd